Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

nullzero wrote: »
    SAS, (sour as sh1t)

You should see the back page of the mirror, saltiness in all it's glory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Didn't realise he was that age. Auld bast@rd

Must be his new shirt number.

29 would be too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You should see the back page of the mirror, saltiness in all it's glory.

Didn't it used to be called the Highbury Echo?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ah would you crawl up your own hole and smother on your Sh1te Chris Sutton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5295295/Man-City-acted-admirably-Alexis-Sanchez-transfer-saga.html#ixzz54rXUBdUb

"Manchester City pulled out of signing Alexis Sanchez knowing they are more attractive than United... it's his loss

I admire how City have conducted themselves."

I wouldn't pay any heed to what he says. Sutton spent his career watching United lifting the trophies. It's a pretty big & bitter lemon he's carrying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Should put up a big welcome to Manchester sign!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Should put up a big welcome to Manchester sign!!!! :D

That kind of craic is the very epitome of small time tbh.

Not something we need concern ourselves with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Also, happy Sanchez day!

Indoor-football-Dublin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5295295/Man-City-acted-admirably-Alexis-Sanchez-transfer-saga.html#ixzz54rXUBdUb

"Manchester City pulled out of signing Alexis Sanchez knowing they are more attractive than United... it's his loss

Didn't he snub us for Bigbucks Rovers back in the 90s?
    It's the hypocrisy of some of the commentators that makes me enjoy this all the more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    Transfergod has spoken

Sure there's blue tick by his name ...
    Can't be true
    Who even is he
    The big paparazzi looking photographer head on him
    It's just not happening folks

• Advertisement

Didn't he snub us for Bigbucks Rovers back in the 90s? It's the hypocrisy of some of the commentators that makes me enjoy this all the more.

TBH I don't think Fergus tried that hard to get him cos he'd made it clear he was going to Blackburn

brinty wrote: »
    Sure there's blue tick by his name ...
    Can't be true
    Who even is he
    The big paparazzi looking photographer head on him
    It's just not happening folks

Jesus Brinty you really need to learn when to give it a rest :pac:

astradave wrote: »

Sure ye wouldn't like me if i was being all positive ;)
    maybe if i post a nice scarlett gif ye'd all be happier with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Tired telling him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So, is it

#A7exis

Or something more inventive?

#AlexIsHere

jayo26 wrote: »
    Tired telling him.

You're still mad I cut of your access ;)

right folks today is the day... we're going to announce it

i can feel it in my waters.....

before the end of today we'll have a shiny new global......... pork pie sponsor....

GGMU and choo choo on....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So, is it

#A7exis

Or something more inventive?

#AlexIsHere

#WelcometoSanchezter!

Tired telling him.

I hope you have the grill fired up for the nice side of chicken to go with that hat you will be eating :D

Good man Ince (even if you joined the scousers)

Ince said: “Everyone is raving about City. But when it comes to the two clubs, Man United are miles bigger than City. Players would still prefer to go to them over Pep’s side – that’s a fact. Players won’t go to City because they think they’re a bigger, more historic club than United. Because they’re simply not."

#WelcometoSanchezter!

Oh i like that one Dave...

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Oh i like that one Dave...

He zerked that one. ;)

He zerked that one. ;)

I didn’t zerk it I was showing appreciation for your one ;)

Stole it...

So it's a homage? :):):)

Will we see him make his debut against Yeovil?

Stole it...

I would have got away with it only for those nosey kids!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Was that Mkhitaryan pic in arsenal jersey legit? I assume his medical is done to.

Announcement imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im just delighted that only have Utd managed to get Sanchez but this move has also pissed Martin Keown off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Robbie Savage must be delighted with Chris Sutton. Robbie looks miles more likable, smarter and more interesting since BT sports started employing Sutton. He has a very dislikeable face. He seems very bitter for some reason.

Im just delighted that only have Utd managed to get Sanchez but this move has also pissed Martin Keown off

A few on AFTV have lost it completely,glad Sanchez is gone and gonna win the league with Mikhitryan and Aubameyang next season....lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

scudzilla wrote: »
    i hope not

He has a buy back clause.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good man Ince (even if you joined the scousers)

Ince said: “Everyone is raving about City. But when it comes to the two clubs, Man United are miles bigger than City. Players would still prefer to go to them over Pep’s side – that’s a fact. Players won’t go to City because they think they’re a bigger, more historic club than United. Because they’re simply not."

I don't really believe that.

Do most players really care that much about the history of a club?

I think most players will look at the quality of a team and club now - and the prospects for winning trophies within the timeframe of their contract - and go on that rather than what was acheived within the history of a club.

And yes - that means I would think Sanchez would be more likely to have picked City over United. I thought that last week and I'm suprised by the outcome. Money, obviously, had a part to play in that. I don't think it is the only factor cause quite simply he probably could have gone to China and earned Millions more. I do think United, as a team, and where we could go with him factored into it in a big way - but I also feel the fact United were willing to meet the demands that City were not played a big part too. To say that it didn't and instead its cause of the romantic view of United is naive, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Says the guy who joined Blackburn for more money

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/955376365951438848

Nearest office is in Liverpool I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I don't really believe that.

Do most players really care that much about the history of a club?

I think most players will look at the quality of a team and club now - and the prospects for winning trophies within the timeframe of their contract - and go on that rather than what was acheived within the history of a club.

Devil's advocate - would a player turn down RM/Barca to go elsewhere for more money? There still must be players who still value the prestige of the club. Sanchez will be more of a hero in Chile for playing for Utd over City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Devil's advocate - would a player turn down RM/Barca to go elsewhere for more money? There still must be players who still value the prestige of the club. Sanchez will be more of a hero in Chile for playing for Utd over City.

Theres not many clubs that pay higher wages than madrid/barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

With Kepa signing a new deal with Bilbao (includes a 80mil buy out clause) I hope it doesn't start another round of De Gea to Madrid nonsense. We really need to tie Big Dave down to a long term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sure whats 80 million these days :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/955376365951438848

Nearest office is in Liverpool I think

I thought the Liverpool players had to all go to Southampton for work permits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lots of pages to catch up on. But did make a comment about Shaw initially after the match and thought it weird. As one of my mates pointed out, had played 4 games in a row after little football and looked all smiles on the bench. So it was likely just normal rotation which was explained to him. So I probably just latched on the manager over it that usual. But it's not actually based in any reality bar my own head :D

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think it's laughable to say Lukaku is a problem. The issues today were entirely those behind him; Pogba's decision making was dreadful, Mata was his usual anonymous self, and Lingard and Martial did well to run at players but created nothing.

If your striker isn't being fed balls, then it's pointless to moan about him, especially when he was the one who dropped back a bit and created the game-winning chance.

This is becoming more and more noticeable each game that passes. As a Lukaku fan before he joined I'd likely find excuses for him, but think it's a genuine thing.

He feeds of absolute scraps, even in games we dominate. I think it's testament to his levels (and what gives me so much positivity that he will get better) that he has bagged 16 goals in a team that while it might statistically have loads of goals and stuff, attacking wise is not functioning properly

• Advertisement

Barcelona and Real Madrid are well set for success (even if Real are relatively struggling in the league this season) so its a tough one - I don't think many would turn down RM or Barca for more cash elsewhere.

1. They pay well.
    2. Their history and world prestiege counts, no doubt.
    3. Their draw is HUGE, especially for latin players.
    4. Barcelona and Madrid as Cities to live, climate etc, would be draws.

My main point is I don't think the history or United can be a huge driver of player purchasing. It can, and should, be a part of it - but if we are not paying the wages a top player wants, if we aren't looking like we are at least building towards a truly competitive side - I don't think history will sign us players. If we were to finish outside the CL spaces again I think players woud start to look elsewhere more easily.

The club has to be set up for success or to work towards the highest level - that is the key in signing top players imo. I don't think Pogba signed JUST for cash - I think he signed because he wants to be a key part of the next great United side. If we don't look like getting there, I can see him wanting to move on to a club that can match his footballing ambitions.

Watch out lads doc is on catchup :):)

Who was it was posting last week saying Sanchez would be playing off the left cause that's where he plays for arsenal and you don't buy a guy like Sanchez and not play him in his best position?

Me.

I was then corrected and reminded he played of the right in his best season for Barca and for Udinese. While he also had a good season for Arsenal playing centrally as a striker.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Me.

I was then corrected and reminded he played of the right in his best season for Barca and for Udinese. While he also had a good season for Arsenal playing centrally as a striker.

You can also look at Mata at the weekend.

His starting position was the right - but he certainly didn't stay there. He roamed across the pitch looking for space and areas he could influence from. I would imagine that no matter where we start Sanchez, Jose will want him looking for the space to drive from.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

How do you lads see Sanchez fitting into the team?? What role will he play? Have to say after seeing the utd match on Saturday, it was awful stuff with a lot of hoofball, I was struggling to see how he makes a major difference if the defence and midfield cant play it out from defence... Maybe harsh on viewing one game? We know Mourinho loves to play compact and break fast but does he have the supporting cast to get the best from Sanchez? If he could solve the midfield issue and had Sanchez and Pogba playing behind Lukaku utd could be a very dangerous team but it looks like he is still at least 3 players short from having what he wants ...

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Custis defending us on Sunday Supplement and actually making sense unlike the Holt guy who is just salty

That Holt guy is pissing me off - "United are a rich man's Stoke"

Did he say that? I just listened to the episode and didnt hear that

Holt is typically more balanced in United discussions that Custis, who basically sticks his tongue in the arse of whatever manager is in place until its clear they are done for, as he heavily relies on exclusive access and contacts he has with the club.

I also find Custis' blind defence of Mourinho laughable. Must remember he despised Van Gaal so much, on a personal level, that he takes a dig at Van Gaal at every opportunity. His defence of the Liverpool performance on the show was for a journalist, laughable and embarrassing analysis and read of a situation.

I only agreed with him on the basis of the Ashton trying to get support for his current stance (that he wrote in his piece) that Sanchez went for the money and money alone , reneged on an agreement and is a mercenary. An as Custis pointed out, United are still a massive draw and a massive club to play for, which is true.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Holt: I like watching teams scoring goals
    Custis: Would you rather watch Spurs or United
    Holt: Spurs
    Custis: United have scored more goals

Holt guy is too salty

You are somewhat cherry picking there. As he went to outline, United as poison in the big games where Spurs are better viewing.

And Spurs while might not have scored as many goals, are much more enjoyable and operate properly in attack.

I don't think that is really something that is outragous, our attack isn't overly efficent, and we are absolute dirt in the big games.

adox wrote: »
    I think the Kane ship sailed when Lukaku was bought.

Other parts of the starting 11 need addressing. It would be crazy and irresponsible of the club to spend the huge fee on Kane.

Maybe Jose had a chat with Fergie who convinced him its all about the goals.

This is the manager whose solution to a rubbish midfield was buying Van Persie and bursting our way to the title :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The announcement everyone was waiting for today.

I’m a dad now. Mini-FG arrived on Friday. Just working on getting Zlatan or Alexis as the middle name.

hogandrew wrote: »
    Memphis scored the winner tonight against PSG. Nice goal too. Didn't he leave with a buy back clause?

Yup, can't remember the exact fee. But he has been in great form this season after settling in last year.

Unsure if its the sort of form to really talk about taking him back, but playing much better then Rashford and much more consistently then Martial.

#memphiswatch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement