Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I would save Alexis for next Wednesday, no point in risking injury on a shoddy pitch in what should be a routine win IMO. Cant wait to see how we line up, Martial must keep his place. Alexis number 10 with Lingard on the right? Rashford needs a decent rest, would nearly send him on holiday for a week to recharge and come back fresh.

I reckon you swap Lingard and Alexis there and you have it.. Lingard best play has come centrally.. Alexis will start on the right but given a licence to roam I’d say ala mata when he plays there..

I actually hope he gets some gametime on Friday

• SteM wrote: »
    Just listening to this weeks BT Sport football writers podcast and 2 of them are saying they're more excited by the Miki to Arsenal move because now he'll be with a manager that will allow him to play attacking football :rolleyes: They reckon that Jose will be worried about Miki going there and doing well for himself.

Some of media really will dig at United whenever they can.

Hilarious, it's like they forget the amount of faith Jose shown in him even after multiple turgid performances.

He was eventually dropped, and not one person could make an argument why he should stay in the first 11.

bangkok wrote: »
    Is brinty a woodward basher??

Think it was just T4TF trying and failing to be funny :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    First Lukaku and now Sanchez. Two players that were apparently going elsewhere. Two huge power plays.

I’m ****ing delighted.

Think it's high time we stopped telling the world we are the richest club and actually started showing it.

This is a brilliant signing in itself, never mind the fact it's involved City, and ironically extracted comments from them about it potentially skewering their wage structure and talking about financial responsibility haha. Brilliant

Can't wait to see him play, and hopefully he hits the ground running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hopefully we send a 2nd string team to Yeovil and sanchez is no where near it

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    I reckon you swap Lingard and Alexis there and you have it.. Lingard best play has come centrally.. Alexis will start on the right but given a licence to roam I’d say ala mata when he plays there..

I actually hope he gets some gametime on Friday

Seeing as sanchez himself said his best position is from the left or through the middle i just cant see jose playing him on the right.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why?

No1 its Yeovil
    No2 we play spurs wed
    No3 this is the type of game to play squad players like mctominay, tuanzebe, blind, rojo, fellaini, herrera etc

Minding my little ones last night and flicked on the Sports (After 2 hours of Puffin Rock straight) to see what football was on.

Just turned on the moment the most expensive CB in world football crashed into his own two players ruining their jump, to wet noodle a header into a Swansea player to score. The actual howls that came out of me was unbelievable.

Ah days like yesterday make it all worthwhile :D

Probably worth noting Woodward looks to be on fire the last few windows. Not just landing top targets the managers want but also making available options that previously weren't. He was splattered across the press when he was perceived not to be getting the business done, but seeing very little revisionism at the moment. He is on absolute fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    Minding my little ones last night and flicked on the Sports (After 2 hours of Puffin Rock straight) to see what football was on.

Just turned on the moment the most expensive CB in world football crashed into his own two players ruining their jump, to wet noodle a header into a Swansea player to score. The actual howls that came out of me was unbelievable.

Even better when you hear fellas like Lawrenson saying he's "the next Alan Hansen".

• Advertisement

Hopefully we send a 2nd string team to Yeovil and sanchez is no where near it

By the way, your point that Yeovil will just hack Sanchez out of it and injure him is the height of stupid comment and to assume a league 2 team are going to want to just break someone up for a laugh to wreck our buzz shows a massive ignorance towards the professionalism that takes place at all levels of the game.

You mentioned previously you played at a decent level, which is more confusing and I think it's a pretty poor opinion and view to have.

Or maybe you were actually one of those players in games I'd play in who would try break us up just over pure jealousy and spite?

You're so sporadic and mental sometimes. I've no issue and to a degree I actually probably don't disagree, think I even posted might be wise to leave him out and have him bed in training with the squad longer to play in a pumped up match like Spurs away rather then a run of the mill Yeovil game. But like, I don't know, sometimes you just have mental reasonings I can't work out :D

By the way, your point that Yeovil will just hack Sanchez out of it and injure him is the height of stupid comment and to assume a league 2 team are going to want to just break someone up for a laugh to wreck our buzz shows a massive ignorance towards the professionalism that takes place at all levels of the game.

You mentioned previously you played at a decent level, which is more confusing and I think it's a pretty poor opinion and view to have.

Or maybe you were actually one of those players in games I'd play in who would try break us up just over pure jealousy and spite?

You're so sporadic and mental sometimes. I've no issue and to a degree I actually probably don't disagree, think I even posted might be wise to leave him out and have him bed in training with the squad longer to play in a pumped up match like Spurs away rather then a run of the mill Yeovil game. But like, I don't know, sometimes you just have mental reasonings I can't work out :D

Nope i def wasnt a dirty player and have been on the receiving end of some hefty challenges, but i dont see the benefit of him playing. A 9 v 9 training game at carrington would have much more benefit.

Also you mention jealousy and spite, imagine sanchez, on a gazzilion pound a week, running rings around some poor left back who earns maybe 800-3000 grand per week and thinks to himself, **** this and just takes sanchez out of it when the game is over as a contest

Seeing as sanchez himself said his best position is from the left or through the middle i just cant see jose playing him on the right.

No he didn’t, he says he likes to play there, never once said it was his best position

“ I really like to play down the left, through the middle… but to tell you the truth, as long as I’m playing football, I’ll fit in anywhere!”

He also said his brother in Turin was ITK ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

No he didn’t, he says he likes to play there, never once said it was his best position

“ I really like to play down the left, through the middle… but to tell you the truth, as long as I’m playing football, I’ll fit in anywhere!”

Another RB option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Probably worth noting Woodward looks to be on fire the last few windows. Not just landing top targets the managers want but also making available options that previously weren't. He was splattered across the press when he was perceived not to be getting the business done, but seeing very little revisionism at the moment. He is on absolute fire.

I don't know why you were laughing then I though he was fantastic last night. If you look at the replay of the goal the reason why he mishead it was because he is so tall and such a good jumper he got way above the ball and could only head it down.

Also to further put your gufaws to bed he was very good for the final 10 minutes when klopp decided to send him up front to hit the ball up to him. He won two headers and had the Swansea defence on tatters when they seen the 75 million pound man up front they had to face along with Danny ings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You are way overplaying what he said and leaving out the last part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nope i def wasnt a dirty player and have been on the receiving end of some hefty challenges, but i dont see the benefit of him playing. A 9 v 9 training game at carrington would have much more benefit.

Also you mention jealousy and spite, imagine sanchez, on a gazzilion pound a week, running rings around some poor left back who earns maybe 800-3000 grand per week and thinks to himself, **** this and just takes sanchez out of it when the game is over as a contest

Jaysus I doubt anyone in the Yeovil team earns 800k to 3 million a week.

But it just so happens the 2 positions he likes best, are his best positions....

But it just so happens the 2 positions he likes best, are his best positions....

But he didn’t say that, that’s your opinion, stop stating it as fact.. my opinion is that he was brilliant as a RW for Barca and Udinese so I don’t agree with your opinion at all that those two positions are his best.. he hasn’t even played that many games thru the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »

That's almost Sanchez money Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »

Suprised Alexis didn't join them. Blows the 600k we give him outta the water.

Jayop wrote: »
    That's almost Sanchez money Ffs

Pffft it’s a long way off sanchez’ 14m a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Is brinty a woodward basher??

No i'm one of the few that thinks the man is doing a pretty great job, he's had his struggles but by god is he improving over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What standard did you play to bang... this is news to me....

I played with Xabi alonso for a summer.. does that mean i played for Real Madrid!!!!
    He also said his brother in Turin was ITK ;)

No he has a friend in Turin and his brother works(worked) at Carrington and he has Mata's dad on speed dial....

Hackers ted, a bunch of hackers!! :)

https://youtu.be/twn7_4dWS5Q

That's fair enough. Look I know what scenario you are talking about, I'd just maybe like to think professionals are above that and more focused on their own game and their own team.

That's fair enough. Look I know what scenario you are talking about, I'd just maybe like to think professionals are above that and more focused on their own game and their own team.

2 words..... Deli Alli.

Look at what he did to de Bruyne when city were hammering them. It happens a lot more in the lower leagues and there are less consequences.

We've played loads of non league and lower league teams over the years and that craic of them trying to do one of the top players doesn't happen anymore. Sanchez plays some part in the game and I'd be not a bit surprised if he starts.

2 words..... Deli Alli.

Look at what he did to de Bruyne when city were hammering them. It happens a lot more in the lower leagues and there are less consequences.

So what, we shouldn't play him against spurs either? Your point is null and void by giving a premier league team as your example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Me reading the the meltdown thread this morning
    giphy.gif

There was a meltdown thread?

I miss all the fun :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

pjohnson wrote: »
    Suprised Alexis didn't join them. Blows the 600k we give him outta the water.

He's on three quarters of a million a week? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    FYP...
    Woodie will always get bashed no matter what

Snigger..

• There was a meltdown thread?

I miss all the fun :(

Think harder :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

League is gone, realistically, and the CL is a nice dream, but the Fa Cup is still to play for. We won't be sending a second string team. Maybe a few squad players will get some time, but Jose won't risk losing to yeovil and missing the chance for silverware this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Will be interesting to see what targets we have now for the summer. Jose mentioned he had 3 in mind with that becoming 2 if Alexis signed. Midfielder nailed on with Carrick retiring, Seri/M Savic seem to be the names floated around. Have to think the other would be a full back, perhaps Alex Sandro?

Would imagine they would be critical targets that Jose has spoken about in the past with other reactionary targets depending on departures. Would have to think the likes of Fellaini, Darmian, Blind, Mata may be on the way?

Is Ozil still a target, have to imagine if he doesnt sign a  new deal then we would be in for him maybe with Mata moving on.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think harder :pac:

Ahh you mean Mordor, I won't be heading in there :) Leave them at it, last night was great to cap off a brilliant day in the season but its done now. No interest in going through their post mortem on what can only be described as a typical result and performance from them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Lord TSC wrote: »
    League is gone, realistically, and the CL is a nice dream, but the Fa Cup is still to play for. We won't be sending a second string team. Maybe a few squad players will get some time, but Jose won't risk losing to yeovil and missing the chance for silverware this season.
    Think if we go injury free and get Bailly back we will surprise a few in the Champions League, not suggesting we will win it but think we could go a long way.

I see City are reportedly interested in activating Laporte's release clause. Be a great replacement for Kompany right there which would be unfortunate.

Any chance of gazumping them again there Ed for one of my more favoured centre backs?? :D

I see City are reportedly interested in activating Laporte's release clause. Be a great replacement for Kompany right there which would be unfortunate.

Any chance of gazumping them again there Ed for one of my more favoured centre backs?? :D

I would rather see west brom get relegated and us sign evans for 3m!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Huge plus going into CL knockout adding a player of the calibre of Sanchez to the squad, expect to see a lot of players stepping up after this signing, really delighted with this one, brilliant vibe , did I mention how happy I am with this one, he's top drawer. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would imagine a CB could be low on the list of priorities this summer.

Keeper - Sorted
    Right back - IMO we need somone. Maybe TFM gets a shot?
    CB - Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo probably still Smalling and TFM/Tuanzebe - not a massive need for a new player there. Surely the club would tell Jose to make do with the two 30million CBs he signed the previous summers.
    Left back - imo we need someone here, but possibly as backup to Shaw, i dunno.

Attack - Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford (Lingard here?) - can't see us spending there.

Midfield is where the transfers will be.

Carrick going. Fellaini possibly going. Mata possibly going.

Pogba, Herrera, Matic (Lingard here??) - we will need at least one signing - possibly two if Fellaini goes.

Miguel Delaney linking us with ALL the CMs today. Seri, Fred, Weigl and Soler (I think UWS are reporting as that one being 'done' for the summer, previously).

I'd like to see Pereira given a shot in midfield - but if we are going for Soler (no idea) will Pereira head in the opposite direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say it again the last 24 hours have been very good and very enjoyable in here too.:pac:

some are seething and its great. Sit back and enjoying it with nice Lemon.

Sorry continue away there...

Keeper - Sorted
    CB - Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo probably still Smalling and TFM/Tuanzebe - not a massive need for a new player there. Surely the club would tell Jose to make do with the two 30million CBs he signed the previous summers.

Attack - Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford (Lingard here?) - can't see us spending there.

Pogba, Herrera, Matic (Lingard here??) - we will need at least one signing - possibly two if Fellaini goes.

Miguel Delaney linking us with ALL the CMs today. Seri, Fred, Weigl and Soler (I think UWS are reporting as that one being 'done' for the summer, previously).

I'd like to see Pereira given a shot in midfield - but if we are going for Soler (no idea) will Pereira head in the opposite direction?

Goals - If Romero goes we'll need someone for back up

RB - Valencia is in great form and there's some cover but competition for Valencia from a legitimate specialized RB would be great.

LB - I think we're OK for RB with Shaw and Young for the first choice and you have Rojo and Blind as cover.

CB - I think we're OK here unless he's going to go to a 3 at the back system or more than a few games a year.

Defensive Mid - Needs at least one more player. We're totally dependent on an aging Matic here with Carrick and likely Fellaini gone. I'd say one specialized Matic type player and someone more dynamic that can play box to box if needed.

Wings - With how we play I just don't see much need for a winger. All the width comes from full back with our wide attackers cutting inside. Unless this changes a wide attacker will be a waste.

Front 3 - Again, I think now with Sanchez and Lukaku joining what we already had we should be good. hat said if a special player comes available then we should go for them.

In short/

Replace Romero if needed
    RB competition for Valencia
    2x CM players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Keeper - Sorted

Midfield will be where the movement is. Left back if Shaw has another false dawn but hopefully not. RB we're going to be getting Fosu-Mensah back and he's impressed at Palace so i'd expect him to be pushing Valencia for his place next season and getting significant playtime, given that Valencia will be 33. If Shaw actually has turned a corner and TFM keeps up his form at Palace, that's us going into next season with a crop of quality young defenders, the oldest of a very plausible starting back four being a 25 year old Jones.

There's a dearth of quality young fullbacks available at the moment, so imo we'll try make do with what we've got if at all possible.

Midfield an obvious one imo is to move for Vidal. He's going to be available this summer and is a good fit, he'd ease the playmaking load on Pogba, would provide depth and has played in midfield alongside him. Older player with experience of winning trophies, seems very like a Mourinho signing.

For younger players i wouldn't mind seeing us bring in someone like SMS then as well, but i get the impression the World Cup might alter our targets somewhat.

We're not that far off the finished article, which is good to see. This is the strongest squad we've had in a long time, just needs a bit of tweaking at this stage, which is great work by Jose given how much dead weight there was in the squad the last few years.

Isn't TFM playing his natural position of CB with Palace? I'd rather if he's impressing there to get games there with us next year rather than be another stop gap RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

New deGea contract is next critical piece of business for the club.

Jayop wrote: »
    Isn't TFM playing his natural position of CB with Palace? I'd rather if he's impressing there to get games there with us next year rather than be another stop gap RB.

Playing right back. Got man of the match against city playing there as well. Think the position suits him very well and would like to see him get a shot there next season for us

I would rather see west brom get relegated and us sign evans for 3m!!

We have enough squad players in that position though and he doesn't want to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Vidal is a no brainer for me unless his off field issues are really as bad as stated. Bayern rarely let people go unless there are issues though, as we have found out to our detriment. But his ability, on field leadership, experience and the fact that he has worked well with Pogba means I would be all over signing him as long as he hasn't gone full loopy.

SteM wrote: »
    Just listening to this weeks BT Sport football writers podcast and 2 of them are saying they're more excited by the Miki to Arsenal move because now he'll be with a manager that will allow him to play attacking football :rolleyes: They reckon that Jose will be worried about Miki going there and doing well for himself.

Some of media really will dig at United whenever they can.

Seems to be something that has just caught on to be honest. And I can see why. Fantastic player moves to team with manager who has a reputation for not getting the best from attackers, attacker fails and leaves, manager likely to blame.

Reality is that the performances from Mhiki over his time at Arsenal will indicate if the issue was him or Mourinho.

Johnathan Wilson was on Second Captains talking about the situation and made the valid point this is a player clearly suffering from confusion about what he was asked to do. He came from two teams who pressed as a team, to a new team that doesn't press and sits off, yet the manager was highlighting publicly issues with his pressing.

And it did instantly remind me of how you would see Mhiki, or Lingaard now, aimlessly pressing alone as the team behind gets organised.

Was summed up nicely in the derby where he got hooked and Rooney let rip at him and he let rip back and was asking the bench what the **** they want him to do. You can't press just by yourself.

I'd imagine as always the reality and answer isn't in the extremes, but lies in the middle. He had a manager that didn't utilise him or get him firing, but the player himself never picked himself up of the floor and showed what he could do consistently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement