Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bangkok wrote: »
    2 words..... Deli Alli.

Look at what he did to de Bruyne when city were hammering them. It happens a lot more in the lower leagues and there are less consequences.

That's a type of player. He's a little knacker.

I don't think there is a correlation between the level you play at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vidal is a no brainer for me unless his off field issues are really as bad as stated. Bayern rarely let people go unless there are issues though, as we have found out to our detriment. But his ability, on field leadership, experience and the fact that he has worked well with Pogba means I would be all over signing him as long as he hasn't gone full loopy.

Yeah I thought when I heard Goretzka is moving to them, that spells the end of Vidal there. Goretzka is a lovely player, a real standout player, but is only 22, German, and likely to turn into a Bayern monster CM ala Kroos or Schweinsteiger.

Vidal has been an excellent midfielder, but he's definitely been on the slide this season. He's now something like 30 or 31, and he is clearly a bit of a lunatic.

Not sure if it would be a smart move? It's not like he's a player so unbelievable in terms of stature and form that you would put up with the bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TheDoc wrote: »
    Seems to be something that has just caught on to be honest. And I can see why. Fantastic player moves to team with manager who has a reputation for not getting the best from attackers, attacker fails and leaves, manager likely to blame.

Reality is that the performances from Mhiki over his time at Arsenal will indicate if the issue was him or Mourinho.

Johnathan Wilson was on Second Captains talking about the situation and made the valid point this is a player clearly suffering from confusion about what he was asked to do. He came from two teams who pressed as a team, to a new team that doesn't press and sits off, yet the manager was highlighting publicly issues with his pressing.

And it did instantly remind me of how you would see Mhiki, or Lingaard now, aimlessly pressing alone as the team behind gets organised.

Was summed up nicely in the derby where he got hooked and Rooney let rip at him and he let rip back and was asking the bench what the **** they want him to do. You can't press just by yourself.

I'd imagine as always the reality and answer isn't in the extremes, but lies in the middle. He had a manager that didn't utilise him or get him firing, but the player himself never picked himself up of the floor and showed what he could do consistently.

Jonathon Wilson's bit on second captains was just dreadful. He should be embarassed as a professional with how much crap he spoke. For example he literally said something like "and now we see one of the tabloids (was the daily mail) reporting that Pogba is upset at the wages Sanchez is on and wants his increased" then a minute later he turned that tabloid speculation into fact completely unchecked by the presenters saying "as you can see it's already causing problems in the squad with Pogba looking for more money."

Was also talking about how Jose clearly doesn't trust Martial and how he will have to be happy playing off the bench because of a comment Jose made early in the season despite the fact Martial now starts every game.

Also commented that Sanchez can only play off the left or centrally despite it being well reported at this stage that he played off the right before joining Arsenal and was very good there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seems to be something that has just caught on to be honest. And I can see why. Fantastic player moves to team with manager who has a reputation for not getting the best from attackers, attacker fails and leaves, manager likely to blame.

Reality is that the performances from Mhiki over his time at Arsenal will indicate if the issue was him or Mourinho.

Johnathan Wilson was on Second Captains talking about the situation and made the valid point this is a player clearly suffering from confusion about what he was asked to do. He came from two teams who pressed as a team, to a new team that doesn't press and sits off, yet the manager was highlighting publicly issues with his pressing.

And it did instantly remind me of how you would see Mhiki, or Lingaard now, aimlessly pressing alone as the team behind gets organised.

Was summed up nicely in the derby where he got hooked and Rooney let rip at him and he let rip back and was asking the bench what the **** they want him to do. You can't press just by yourself.

I'd imagine as always the reality and answer isn't in the extremes, but lies in the middle. He had a manager that didn't utilise him or get him firing, but the player himself never picked himself up of the floor and showed what he could do consistently.

On the highlighted bit, While Matic and the defence don’t press high up and sit back. The front 4 and Pogba all press high up the pitch.. Mkhi was part of that front 5 so was part of the pressing unit. So Jonathan Wilson was talking through his hoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No matter how well Miki does at Arsenal it will prove nothing about Jose and his set up. There can a multitude of reasons a player doesn’t work out at a club.

Also whatever system he’s playing in and no matter how it may not suit him(which is just making excuses for him in this instance) there comes a point where a player has to take responsibility for his performances. Not being able to pass a ball 15 yards on a regular basis is all on the player.

It’s funny cause Lingard seems to be shining under Jose. Martial too. Numerous attacking players flourished under Jose and his system. It’s more tabloid nonsense, be it in print, online or spoken word. The thing is, if things are said enough they do gather momentum and become accepted even if there isn’t much if any truth in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

adox wrote: »
    No matter how well Miki does at Arsenal it will prove nothing about Jose and his set up. There can a multitude of reasons a player doesn’t work out at a club.

Under the logic that if Miki does well at Arsenal Jose is a poor manager, that would make Fergie look bad since he could get the best out of Diego Forlan. Loads of reasons why he didnt become prolific for us.

Miki seems to be a confidence player and a man who suffers with the anxiety of playing poor.

• beakerjoe wrote: »
    Under the logic that if Miki does well at Arsenal Jose is a poor manager, that would make Fergie look bad since he could get the best out of Diego Forlan. Loads of reasons why he didnt become prolific for us.

Miki seems to be a confidence player and a man who suffers with the anxiety of playing poor.

They thing is last season Jose tried to work with him and ended up getting a reaction out of him.
    Not the first time it happened.

Again to adox point he was so bad at times this season he couldn't even string a pass together and was losing possession nearly every time he received the ball.
    When you continue to make the most basic mistakes you eventually have to understand you will be dropped and replaced with players who are performing better.

And it's not like he wasn't given his favoured role. He was playing #10 for most of his starts this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I take issue with that.

He didn't get the best out of Duff (who had the best seasons of his career under Mourinho), Robben, Drogba, Lampard? How much better could these players have been exactly?

How much better could the Porto attacking players have been - Derlei, Carlos Alberto, Deco? Are people expecting multiple champions league titles from that front 3?

At Inter, both Sneijder (who was out of favour at Madrid) & Milito (who had been bouncing around mid table teams in Italy and Spain) had pretty much the best season of their career under Mourinho - along with Eto'o, who was scoring goals for fun.

Or what about at Real Madrid, he didn't get the best out of the attacking players there, despite them setting the record for number of goals scored in the 2011/2012 season? What was he expected to do - have his team beat the record number of goals by double? triple, maybe?

I call BS on that. There will never be manager who has success with every single attacking player, in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

v3ttel wrote: »
    I take issue with that.

He didn't get the best out of Duff (who had the best seasons of his career under Mourinho), Robben, Drogba, Lampard? How much better could these players have been exactly?

How much better could the Porto attacking players have been - Derlei, Carlos Alberto, Deco? Are people expecting multiple champions league titles from that front 3?

At Inter, both Sneijder (who was out of favour at Madrid) & Milito (who had been bouncing around mid table teams in Italy and Spain) had pretty much the best season of their career under Mourinho - along with Eto'o, who was scoring goals for fun.

Or what about at Real Madrid, he didn't get the best out of the attacking players there, despite them setting the record for number of goals scored in the 2011/2012 season? What was he expected to do - have his team beat the record number of goals by double? triple, maybe?

I call BS on that. There will never be manager who has success with every single attacking player, in his career.

Dude I think that's the Doc's point. He has a reputation for not getting the best out of attackers. It's not accurate at all, but it's the perception that's being spread by the media and gobbled up by both opposition fans and some gullible United fans.

I had the misfortune of clicking on a Daily Express article yesterday while I was googling something. They called the way United unveiled Sanchez as "cringe-worthy"........I mean, seriously, STFU. Beat City and Chelsea to the signing of a world class player without paying a transfer fee, and they still find a childish way to have a pop.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched it more than once and thought it was a very cool way to unveil a player.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Dude I think that's the Doc's point. He has a reputation for not getting the best out of attackers. It's not accurate at all, but it's the perception that's being spread by the media and gobbled up by both opposition fans and some gullible United fans.

I know, I was pointing that perception being spread by the rags is wrong. It wasn't aimed specifically at Doc, should maybe have made that clearer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of clicking on a Daily Express article yesterday while I was googling something. They called the way United unveiled Sanchez as "cringe-worthy"........I mean, seriously, STFU. Beat City and Chelsea to the signing of a world class player without paying a transfer fee, and they still find a childish way to have a pop.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched it more than once and thought it was a very cool way to unveil a player.

It was cringe-worthy. "Deep breath and a look of awe on your face as you stare around the theatre of dreams!!!" "Now for a totally spur of the moment selfie..." Stage managed crap the lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any pictures of the new signing training today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jayop wrote: »
    Isn't TFM playing his natural position of CB with Palace? I'd rather if he's impressing there to get games there with us next year rather than be another stop gap RB.

Mixed and matched, he's played at RB, a CB in a back 2 and as a CB in a back 3 for Palace this year. RB has been the main position though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yeah I thought when I heard Goretzka is moving to them, that spells the end of Vidal there. Goretzka is a lovely player, a real standout player, but is only 22, German, and likely to turn into a Bayern monster CM ala Kroos or Schweinsteiger.

Vidal has been an excellent midfielder, but he's definitely been on the slide this season. He's now something like 30 or 31, and he is clearly a bit of a lunatic.

Not sure if it would be a smart move? It's not like he's a player so unbelievable in terms of stature and form that you would put up with the bollox

I'd like us to make a move for Sergej Milinkovic and/or Fabinho in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It was cringe-worthy. "Deep breath and a look of awe on your face as you stare around the theatre of dreams!!!" "Now for a totally spur of the moment selfie..." Stage managed crap the lot of it.

Of course it was stage managed!!!

I thought it was very well done all the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't care if it was clingy or stage managed. Gave me goosebumps. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »

Imagine Glorious tune in the background

That would be wait for it, wait for it

Glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I also thought the Sanchez unveiling was cringe-worthy, as was Pogba's. Just hold a scarf above your head beside the manager like the good old days.

• Advertisement

I also thought the Sanchez unveiling was cringe-worthy, as was Pogba's. Just hold a scarf above your head beside the manager like the good old days.

In the day of social media, where majority of kids are nowadays engrossed, united are ahead of the game with the twitter, facebook, instagram etc.... more fans, more money, more sanchez like signings

secman wrote: »
    Huge plus going into CL knockout adding a player of the calibre of Sanchez to the squad, expect to see a lot of players stepping up after this signing

This is important to my mind, we have signed a player who is arguably one of the best in the world, he will be going straight into the team and considered a first 11, senior player with all the expectations that entails. I would hope that there is a knock on effect to the likes of Pogba and Lukaku, that they see the quality around them rising and react accordingly, by working harder to make sure they are on the level of these types of top players.

I think for the likes of Pogba it might be easy to consider himself the top dog and coast along as the best player in the team, the main man ahead of kids like Rashford, lesser lights like Lingard or new prospects like Lindelof. I'm not saying he thinks like that but subconsciously the thoughts could be there, does no harm to bring in a few superstars every now and then to keep him on his toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Have to laugh at the media with their agenda on transfers. City linked with a €60 million deal for Laporte and not a negative spin on it anywhere unlike United's dealings. No mention of wages, pay offs to agents or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lord TSC wrote: »

That'll be the norm now for all clubs for big transfers me thinks.
    Liked the touch of him playing the piano on it. Suppose that's another £30,000 gig fee to add to the transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In the day of social media, where majority of kids are nowadays engrossed, united are ahead of the game with the twitter, facebook, instagram etc.... more fans, more money, more sanchez like signings

And then the website is like something from the early 2000's. I hate the website so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I may be Zerking it with this...

https://twitter.com/ManUtdStuff/status/955826051157983234
    United have discussed a potential Mesut Özil transfer with Arsenal during talks over Alexis Sanchez. [men]

• Advertisement

• Surely not?

And what happened to all the hat eating? Seems like some lads chickened out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Also this on Alexis not forgetting where he came from, and he was called a mercenary by the papers.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/955544435907006464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote:
    And what happened to all the hat eating? Seems like some lads chickened out

I ate mine...
    Lovely cheesy nacho hat
    Mmmmmm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And what happened to all the hat eating? Seems like some lads chickened out ;)
    Yeah, what about the hats?
    I will eat a very large hat if Alexis Sanchez signs for United.
    Chocolate hat or nacho hat, your choice.

Yeah, what about the hats?
    Chocolate hat or nacho hat, your choice.

And Pics or GTFO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It's hard to find something to whine about this week

But you managed to. It's a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

paulbok wrote: »
    That'll be the norm now for all clubs for big transfers me thinks.
    Liked the touch of him playing the piano on it. Suppose that's another £30,000 gig fee to add to the transfer

Oh yeah, it's catching on quickly....

https://twitter.com/MotherwellFC/status/955877802682626049?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Those dogs deserve ALL the trophies.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Those dogs deserve ALL the trophies.

They have their own insta account :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Alexis signing made me happy.

His dogs made me ecstatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ugh

Friday cant come soon enough

Headshot wrote: »
    Ugh

Friday cant come soon enough

Also payday, so yeah.

More related to the Mkhi/Sanchez swap...

I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to Manchester United players and staff, and especially the fans for your love, passion and support. I enjoyed having the honour of contributing to the history of your great club by winning the Europa League.

I will always cherish the memory of that moment and that match. And of my Boxing Day scorpion kick and of hearing the song “Whoa Mkhitaryan...” every time I stepped onto the pitch. I could name many more memories, I enjoyed every moment we shared and cheered together.

At this stage of my career, I simply have to enjoy myself on the pitch and play. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and the best of luck to all of you! Life goes on.

Zlatan to Mkhi...

KP24cUt.jpg?1

Wenger on Sanchez in the build-up to the weekend...
    Arsene wrote:
    I took him to the hotel [on Friday evening] and he was completely focused and ready to play the next day until I told him: ‘go home, the deal is over the line’.”

Sanchez is a great guy and has always been committed even if negotiations went well or not well, it never effected him. Sanchez is a pro and loves football, he gave his maximum for Arsenal and will do for Manchester United.”

When pressed on whether Alexis chose the money...
    Arsene wrote:
    Alexis combines both. He goes to a great club and gets a great contract

Good Guy Arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Also payday, so yeah.

Yes but alexis is more important

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    Yes but alexis is more important

And his payday is even more important.

And his payday is even more important.

He could donate his salary to Trocaire and people would complain that he didn't give it to the Samaritans.

People talk about taking the money but I mean, he's joined Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs there is who have a realistic ambition of competing on all fronts over the next few years, not some Chinese team backed by a billionaires money who nobody has heard of 12 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gotta give credit to that motherwell vid. Quality banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Good old days.

zz090709robo-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Uhh, those budgie smuggling shorts.

:o

Now THATS cringey!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Now THATS cringey!!!

Infairness it was because he was player manager.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Infairness it was because he was player manager.

Yeah copped that.. makes it even worse :pac:

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Good old days.

zz090709robo-1.jpg

What a player he was... in his prime playing now a days, he would easily cost 100m +

• Advertisement

What a player he was... in his prime playing now a days, he would easily cost 100m +

Robson, Keane & Ince in midfield for one (?) Season. That's the strength in depth Jose should be looking to establish in the Summer with Matic and Pogba.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement