Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't say he wasn't explosive? What do you be reading at all.

No but you want to see how he settles... he is a ready made superstar. He will hit the ground running. Can see him scoring lots of goals and quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not a hope of us signing Fred if we signed Fred I'd eat my hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Still waiting on the live stream link to the last hat eating escapade

• jayo26 wrote: »

You've yet to eat your first hat ;)

giphy.gif

bangkok wrote: »
    No but you want to see how he settles... he is a ready made superstar. He will hit the ground running. Can see him scoring lots of goals and quickly

Thats fine thats what you see but dont make up stuff that you think I mean.

Yes he is ready made superstar but if he continues over his form from this year at arsenal he won't be a superstar he will be just similar to martial.

If he regains his form from last season he will be a superstar.

Anyone see conte last night moaning because he don't have enough players to rotate his squad... the club has over 60 players out on loan for God sake haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

De Gea will sign a new contract in the summer no worries of him going to Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Red lights everywhere.... move on quickly

Yeah, have enough players that need minding, it'd be one thing to risk it for a player like Bale ( which I'm not in favor of anymore) but not for this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone see conte last night moaning because he don't have enough players to rotate his squad... the club has over 60 players out on loan for God sake haha.

Nothing dodgy at all about having so many on loan with 99.9% never going to play a senior game for the club. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Eat the hat Jayo....
    my nacho hat was devine...
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    melty gooooeeeey goodness.....

• Advertisement

If they made 500k average loan fee that’s 30m and they complain about having no money :p

It's unbelievable and not a word of it in any negative light whatsoever. Is he trying to get out of the club I wonder? Or is he putting pressure on the owner? It's funny it will never be dissected the same way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's unbelievable and not a word of it in any negative light whatsoever. Is he trying to get out of the club I wonder? Or is he putting pressure on the owner? It's funny it will never be dissected the same way.

Chelsea are having their "Every 2.5 years" meltdown. Conte is out the door in the summer, Hazard and Curtois likely gone too. They won the league and didn't build on it, and the players are giving up.

It amuses me when people talk about Jose and his "third season meltdown" as if that's not what happens every single manager that walks through Chelsea's doors. The club follows a cycle, and hey, they win the league every second or third year as a result. But they also have dips like this one too.

From our point of view, I'm thrilled we benefit from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah. Ta shíte with Seri if we have to keep him wrapped up in a steam room between November - February :pac:

Had never heard he had that condition before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That the media don't seem to bothered to call him on his BS is really irritating.

Jose is asked why he doesn't seem happy anymore (how he used to be more active on the touchline and more emotive. Says he doesn't want to act like a clown anymore.

Conte takes it personally and says Jose has senile dementia cause Jose used to act like Conte does now WHICH IS EXACTLY WHO JOSE SAID HE USED TO DO.

The media decide Jose is to blame and Conte is some sort of vigilante hero.

Claims Chelsea don't have enough players having sold and loaned out a bunch of young players in the summer that could have been great squad players.

Claims Chelsea can't complete with City and United. United are self-funded through great revenue streams. City are backed by a billionaire paying for them with dirty money just like Chelsea are and have been - Chelsea raised the transfer game as much as anyone else. Chelsea rolled out the big cash to sign Hazard, offering him and his agent more money than United were willing to. They bought their star player in a similar style to who United bought Sanchez. AND YOU SPENT 60MILLION ON MORATA. and how much was spent to bring Luiz back, who you just don't want to play anymore.

And the media just let it go said unchecked. BAH FECKING HUMBUG.

Jose says United need to spend more to catch up with City and it is all 'checkbook manager' and 'already spent a fortune' and 'poor excuses for poor performances'. Conte says he can't compete with United and City HAVING WON THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON and its just let go!

The anti-Jose slant of the media is so annoying. Treated so differently to Conte and especially Klopp.

Can you imagine if Jose treated the 4th officials, and oppositon fans the way Klopp has? Jose got banned for kicking a bottle - did we see a ban for Klopp for the exact same thing?

UGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Came across a bit harsh on poor Ross Barkley too!

Has anything been said about Klopps altercation with the Swansea fan the weekend?

Or has that been filed under “passion” too

Despite Sanchez having a poor season for his standard he's got himself 7 league goals, 3 assists and 3 MotM awards.

That's while being unhappy wanting a move away, at an Arsenal side which has really struggled for any consistent form and have been lacking goals up top. He currently is their 2nd top scorer this season and only Martial and Lukaku in our squad have scored more in the league.

I understand why some people may be cautious to get their hopes up, but he's shown how brilliant he is in this league, and if the above is him on bad form we should be expecting huge things from him. Excuses can be made about fitting into systems and getting to know players but to me Sanchez is the style of player who can enter a team and improve the players around him instantly. I don't imagine it will take much time at all.

Can easily seem him putting a goal or two past Yeovil tomorrow if he gets the nod to start and then from there we should be expecting him to make a huge impression on the team. I was cautious with previous signings, but Sanchez is one where I personally think it will be a smooth transition and we should be expecting big things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

bmcc10 wrote: »

With Madrid having such a terrible season and this being a world cup year I can see Florentino Pz going gung ho with the checkbook now more than ever and DDG will be in more danger of leaving us this summer than any other previous.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Despite Sanchez having a poor season for his standard he's got himself 7 league goals, 3 assists and 3 MotM awards.

That's while being unhappy wanting a move away, at an Arsenal side which has really struggled for any consistent form and have been lacking goals up top. He currently is their 2nd top scorer this season and only Martial and Lukaku in our squad have scored more in the league.

I understand why some people may be cautious to get their hopes up, but he's shown how brilliant he is in this league, and if the above is him on bad form we should be expecting huge things from him. Excuses can be made about fitting into systems and getting to know players but to me Sanchez is the style of player who can enter a team and improve the players around him instantly. I don't imagine it will take much time at all.

Can easily seem him putting a goal or two past Yeovil tomorrow if he gets the nod to start and then from there we should be expecting him to make a huge impression on the team. I was cautious with previous signings, but Sanchez is one where I personally think it will be a smooth transition and we should be expecting big things.

Sanchez is another rooney type player, id say you could play him any position and he would do excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With Madrid having such a terrible season and this being a world cup year I can see Florentino Pz going gung ho with the checkbook now more than ever and DDG will be in more danger of leaving us this summer than any other previous.

Courtois is nearing the end of his contract - could be a cheap/free pick up for them.

Cant see de gea leaving united as a champions league winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Courtois is nearing the end of his contract - could be a cheap/free pick up for them.
    Cant see de gea leaving united as a champions league winner...

I'm fine with either of these scenarios.

astradave wrote: »

Excellent deal for both clubs. Will do him very well. Aston villa are a massive club in the midlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

bmcc10 wrote: »

More pressing issues for Madrid to sort out they'll be going all out for a winger and a new striker can't see them spending the money it'd take to get him from us and even they can't compete with the money United can offer him as well. 100% confident we'll see him sign a contract in the summer. There should be a stand named after the fax machine as well.

Excellent deal for both clubs. Will do him very well. Aston villa are a massive club in the midlands

You alright there Michael?

??

Midlands in england...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

??

Midlands in england...

CU7UvWuUEAAqz6b.jpg

• Advertisement

Sanchez confirmed for squad for tomorrow night.

Most people I know from midlands (West-Midlands I suppose is the proper area, but East surely only has Derby unless there's a big one I'm missing) follow Villa.

Silverware (as of 2017):
    Aston Villa: 22
    Wolves: 13
    West Brom: 9
    Birmingham: 2
    Coventry: 1
    Walsall: 0

Average Attendance (2017):
    Aston Villa: 32,865
    West Brom: 23,642
    Wolves: 21,345
    Birmingham: 18,176
    Coventry: 9,068
    Walsall: 5,024

Total followers on social media in millions (2017):
    Aston Villa: 3.2
    West Brom: 1.3
    Wolves: 0.5
    Birmingham: 0.5
    Coventry: 0.2
    Walsall: 0.1

They may have gone through a tough patch but seemed to have turned it around. Well in contention for promotion back the PL and a great move for Tuanzebe in my eyes. Will get a chance to play and learn from Terry, has Johnstone a teammate from United there, and will get to play in big games for a club pushing for promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jose having a little pop at Real, I can see the quotes being spun and we will be signing Ronaldo tomorrow

Embargo on the rest of the presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

His quotes below

"I think with the moment Real Madrid is having now I think I should be the last one to add some fuel to the fire.

"Madrid is on fire, the results are not good and it's a club where I worked three years," said Mourinho.

"I cared about the club, I am the last one to add fire, Cristiano is the kind of player every manager and club wants but Zidane and Real Madrid, that's my feeling."

The bolded bit possibly saying Zidane and Real don't want Ronaldo anymore or am I reading that wrong

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Most people I know from midlands (West-Midlands I suppose is the proper area, but East surely only has Derby unless there's a big one I'm missing) follow Villa.

Silverware (as of 2017):
    Aston Villa: 22
    Wolves: 13
    West Brom: 9
    Birmingham: 2
    Coventry: 1
    Walsall: 0

Average Attendance (2017):
    Aston Villa: 32,865
    West Brom: 23,642
    Wolves: 21,345
    Birmingham: 18,176
    Coventry: 9,068
    Walsall: 5,024

Total followers on social media in millions (2017):
    Aston Villa: 3.2
    West Brom: 1.3
    Wolves: 0.5
    Birmingham: 0.5
    Coventry: 0.2
    Walsall: 0.1

They may have gone through a tough patch but seemed to have turned it around. Well in contention for promotion back the PL and a great move for Tuanzebe in my eyes. Will get a chance to play and learn from Terry, has Johnstone a teammate from United there, and will get to play in big games for a club pushing for promotion.

It was a joke, calling him Michael Owen, for you know, stating the Obvious

duffman13 wrote: »
    His quotes below

"I think with the moment Real Madrid is having now I think I should be the last one to add some fuel to the fire.

"Madrid is on fire, the results are not good and it's a club where I worked three years," said Mourinho.

"I cared about the club, I am the last one to add fire, Cristiano is the kind of player every manager and club wants but Zidane and Real Madrid, that's my feeling."

The bolded bit possibly saying Zidane and Real don't want Ronaldo anymore or am I reading that wrong

Balague said last week madrid would be looking to sell him this summer

It was a joke, calling him Michael Owen, for you know, stating the Obvious

Ha apologies! I saw you posted a picture but the work internet has the images blocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I wouldnt be enthusiastic if we bought Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldnt be enthusiastic if we bought Ronaldo

The time for that has passed in my opinion. There is room there for another attacker, say a striker who offers a different option, a number 10 or an out and out winger, but Ronaldo ain't one of them and you have to think that he would be directly standing in the way of Rashford and Martial.

So what does the club want? Some goals for a season or look to the future? It was different with Zlatan, we badly needed somebody to come in and get goals at that time but things are different now. Sanchez, Lukaku and Pogba are all there, others are contributing, the need just isn't as great.

Ronaldo is perhaps the greatest of all time but he is about to turn 33 and clearly declining, whereas we are a young team building towards something. The timing just isn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jayop wrote: »
    Jonathon Wilson's bit on second captains was just dreadful. He should be embarassed as a professional with how much crap he spoke. For example he literally said something like "and now we see one of the tabloids (was the daily mail) reporting that Pogba is upset at the wages Sanchez is on and wants his increased" then a minute later he turned that tabloid speculation into fact completely unchecked by the presenters saying "as you can see it's already causing problems in the squad with Pogba looking for more money."

Was also talking about how Jose clearly doesn't trust Martial and how he will have to be happy playing off the bench because of a comment Jose made early in the season despite the fact Martial now starts every game.

Also commented that Sanchez can only play off the left or centrally despite it being well reported at this stage that he played off the right before joining Arsenal and was very good there.

I didn't think it was dreadful. He referenced the Pogba tabloid story as a lead into explaining why City had issues with the wage demands, which was something widely reported and this could be the scenario City wanted to avoid, with a squad leading the title which has good spirit and harmony. I think that's a fair point.

He quoted Mourinho as saying at a time (which was true) that maybe Martials greatest strength is coming off the bench in the final phase of the game, and taking advantage of tired defenders and opposition.

He did tunnel in on the ability of him playing on the left or centrally and didn't mention the right, but in fairness, nobody in punditry, commentary,journalism or football analysis has mentioned him playing from the right. Totally football, who literally have two Serie A experts, talked of his great form for Udinese being of the left and operating centrally at times. So I'd forgive him for that.

I would love to see ronaldo back at the club. Easily another 3 years for him to play top level. Him up front with sanchez martial and another behind would be some line up

On the highlighted bit, While Matic and the defence don’t press high up and sit back. The front 4 and Pogba all press high up the pitch.. Mkhi was part of that front 5 so was part of the pressing unit. So Jonathan Wilson was talking through his hoop

I'd object to that.

Our team does not press in a co-ordinated fashion, typically leaving Lukaku + 1 to press and during points in the game, it seems to the players like Pogba or Herrera will take it upon themselves to maybe press.

You can visibly see the likes of Mata or Martial (easier to see on the flank nearest the camera) their first reaction being to move into the defensive shape, see where the opposition fullbck or winger is, and then make a decision about where to move.

If the team was pressing in a co-ordinated fashion, the initial movement wouldn't be back into shape, but to move into advanced positions to cut off passages of passes.

There is potential occasions or games where we do it for a spell, but to in anyway insinuate pressing as a team is part of our makeup, is just plainly incorrect, in my view anyway

v3ttel wrote: »
    I take issue with that.

He didn't get the best out of Duff (who had the best seasons of his career under Mourinho), Robben, Drogba, Lampard? How much better could these players have been exactly?

How much better could the Porto attacking players have been - Derlei, Carlos Alberto, Deco? Are people expecting multiple champions league titles from that front 3?

At Inter, both Sneijder (who was out of favour at Madrid) & Milito (who had been bouncing around mid table teams in Italy and Spain) had pretty much the best season of their career under Mourinho - along with Eto'o, who was scoring goals for fun.

Or what about at Real Madrid, he didn't get the best out of the attacking players there, despite them setting the record for number of goals scored in the 2011/2012 season? What was he expected to do - have his team beat the record number of goals by double? triple, maybe?

I call BS on that. There will never be manager who has success with every single attacking player, in his career.

That's totally fine and I totally get the point you are making.

As I said before though, when it comes to the contentious issues, myths or realities about Mourinho, is there really any point? Depending on what side of the arguement you fall on, you can put forward a coherant and genuine point of view that supports your stance, but results in it just being a case of everyone sticking with their opposing views.

MY over arching point regarding Mourinho is that it seems to be well documented and quoted from players who played for him, that he simply doesn't do any coaching or training with offensive players. He uses man management tactics which is fine, but provides or performs no actual coaching or development.

So the players that flourish do so on their own ability and talent, while those that fell by the wayside, yet flourished elsewhere, are the stains against his coaching ability.

And that style of management or coaching can be fine also, but for me I think there needs to be acceptance that if a manager/coach, doesn't do work in a specific area of the team, and the respective players are not delivering, therefore the manager not getting the best out of them, he needs to be held accountable, and that simply leads to an explanation of it being a weakness.

I don't know why it gets so prickly with people. There is no perfect manager operating in world football, there is no perfect combination of coach/manager hybrid. All have strengths and all have weaknesses.

I just find it odd that managers don't employ or take on board an attacking coach, to work on that area. As happens with other style of coaches.

Jayop wrote: »
    Dude I think that's the Doc's point. He has a reputation for not getting the best out of attackers. It's not accurate at all, but it's the perception that's being spread by the media and gobbled up by both opposition fans and some gullible United fans.

Yeah in that specific post and context, I was outlining why it's easy for that narrative to have taken shape quickly in relation to Mhiki moving to Arsenal.

It's a somewhat seperate point about my actual take on him regarding that issue. If that makes sense?

Although we have got to the same place in the end :D

v3ttel wrote: »
    I know, I was pointing that perception being spread by the rags is wrong. It wasn't aimed specifically at Doc, should maybe have made that clearer!

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Duff said jose coached attacking play on rte in the past year forget the match I posted it here at the time

Giggsy11 wrote: »

This mightn't have any repercussions and I could be wrong here, but I imagine that this means Darmian isn't going anywhere this window.

That the media don't seem to bothered to call him on his BS is really irritating.

Jose is asked why he doesn't seem happy anymore (how he used to be more active on the touchline and more emotive. Says he doesn't want to act like a clown anymore.

Conte takes it personally and says Jose has senile dementia cause Jose used to act like Conte does now WHICH IS EXACTLY WHO JOSE SAID HE USED TO DO.

The media decide Jose is to blame and Conte is some sort of vigilante hero.

Claims Chelsea don't have enough players having sold and loaned out a bunch of young players in the summer that could have been great squad players.

Claims Chelsea can't complete with City and United. United are self-funded through great revenue streams. City are backed by a billionaire paying for them with dirty money just like Chelsea are and have been - Chelsea raised the transfer game as much as anyone else. Chelsea rolled out the big cash to sign Hazard, offering him and his agent more money than United were willing to. They bought their star player in a similar style to who United bought Sanchez. AND YOU SPENT 60MILLION ON MORATA. and how much was spent to bring Luiz back, who you just don't want to play anymore.

And the media just let it go said unchecked. BAH FECKING HUMBUG.

Jose says United need to spend more to catch up with City and it is all 'checkbook manager' and 'already spent a fortune' and 'poor excuses for poor performances'. Conte says he can't compete with United and City HAVING WON THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON and its just let go!

The anti-Jose slant of the media is so annoying. Treated so differently to Conte and especially Klopp.

Can you imagine if Jose treated the 4th officials, and oppositon fans the way Klopp has? Jose got banned for kicking a bottle - did we see a ban for Klopp for the exact same thing?

UGH.

In fairness in the likes of podcast/opinion piece settings Jose and Conte have had it stripped of them this season moaning about the ****e to do with money and my poor squad.

Journalists at the press conference live, rarely to never challenge a manager on the ****e they spout, to which we both know. They are fearful of just being banned and instead roll it out in an opinion piece later in the week or on a pod or radio show where they are guests.

It's a pet peeve of mine, managers allowed talk utter ****e, unchalleneged, for fear of losing an exclusive interview with someone in the club or just being banned. It's total nonsense, and really the Premier league should be hosting the press conferences in this day and age, not the clubs.

• Advertisement

Eric Cantona in the Olympia in October,tickets on sale 29 January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement