Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is it safe to come back yet? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is it safe to come back yet? :P

That depends, what is your stance on Luke Chadwick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »
    That depends, what is your stance on Luke Chadwick?

Still more Premier League medals than Gerrard.

• Still more Premier League medals than Gerrard.

giphy.gif

• jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm not doubting your account of it but how the fuk do we actually know this?

Both clubs have said zero the only account of it I seen were the rags doing up a step by step diagram of what could of happened.

The "neutrals" have been confirming it since Sunday

• Advertisement

Any chance the game is on TV tonight?

• Some team news for tonight; Obviously no Pogba again :(

"Phil Jones returned to United's 18-man squad for Sunday's derby but was not called upon, despite Marcos Rojo leaving the field at half-time due to a head injury. The Argentine may well miss out on Wednesday as a result of the knock suffered in his challenge on David Silva, meaning Jones or Victor Lindelof could start in his place.

Eric Bailly appeared to be on the verge of a return from a groin injury but has suffered a setback in his recovery and is likely to be out for another six to eight weeks.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic returned against City having sat out a couple of fixtures due to complications surrounding his recovery from a serious ACL injury and is likely to again be among the substitutes.

Michael Carrick will be given plenty of time to recover following a procedure to deal with an irregular heart rhythm but is not expected to return to play for the time being at least, while there is some hope that Marouane Fellaini might be available again after a knee injury."

• Lord TSC wrote: »

NBC Sport I think, Cantona the man to confirm that

Sportsnet Ontario is the best place to watch it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Adamocovic wrote: »
    With all the posters leaving the thread soon only I will remain! My reign of terror will be glorious!

Oh no it won’t :D

• Advertisement

Depends where you live.. all these channels have it

beIN Sports MENA HD 1
    beIN Sports Turkey 1 / HD
    MATCH! TV / HD
    Sport TV3 (portugal) / HD
    SuperSport 5 za / HD
    SuperSport MaXimo 1
    | beIN Connect TURKEY
    | NBC Premier League Pass [$]
    | SportsNet Ontario / HD
    | Stöd 2 Sport 2 / HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Its on BT isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Really need to sorth you out haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Nope BT are showing West Ham v Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My wonderful Daw Gee brand android receiver will have it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The "neutrals" have been confirming it since Sunday

Think it says a lot about some of them when they wanted City to win over us, so openly. A win for us would have give some clubs a chance to get back into title race maybe putting doubt into City.

but no, the hatred for us is more then their support for their own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

ianob7 wrote: »
    Nope BT are showing West Ham v Arsenal

Im not doubting you, but the "Broadcast" section of the Premier League website says otherwise

https://www.premierleague.com/broadcast-schedules

Im not doubting you, but the "Broadcast" section of the Premier League website says otherwise

https://www.premierleague.com/broadcast-schedules

4 hours ago from the twitter machine

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/940852827882164225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this.

I was working off my TV guide app and also I seen the West Ham v Arsenal game advertised for BT on BT the last couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Think it says a lot about some of them when they wanted City to win over us, so openly. A win for us would have give some clubs a chance to get back into title race maybe putting doubt into City.

Yep that is one thing i will never understand. I remember a few years ago a liverpool season ticket holder going over to the chelsea liverpool game hoping chelsea would beat liverpool to stop utd winning the title. Sad

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Yep that is one thing i will never understand. I remember a few years ago a liverpool season ticket holder going over to the chelsea liverpool game hoping chelsea would beat liverpool to stop utd winning the title. Sad

To be to honest I'd be fairly conflicted myself unless it was like back in 95 last day of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That stupid fist emoji is one of my pet hates. Fecking everywhere and what does it mean?

J. Marston wrote: »
    That stupid fist emoji is one of my pet hates. Fecking everywhere and what does it mean?

giphy.gif

If i'd to guess I'd say its a fist bump.

I guess i was wrong wtf is that AC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Lets smash it bruv, innit! Lit fam!

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Antonio Valencia

Victor Lindelof

Phil Jones

Chris Smalling

Daley Blind

Ashley Young

Luke Shaw

Scott McTominay

Nemanja Matic

Ander Herrera

Jesse Lingard

Juan Mata

Anthony Martial

Marcus Rashford

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Romelu Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

efb5e9bed8620446c712e74f76ee86ffbcd34dbdfc59758200c22a72bd10e545.jpg

:pac:

Julez wrote: »
    Lets smash it bruv, innit! Lit fam!

english-mother-fer-do-you-speak-it.jpg

Lithium93_ wrote: »

888.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tbf, most of the club's they follow have had little to no success over the last decade so us losing has been the only real joy in their otherwise tear filled existence.

Tbf, most of the club's they follow have had little to no success over the last decade so us losing has been the only real joy in their otherwise tear filled existence.

Last two decades at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/jesse-lingard/

I'm enjoying reading this article about Lingard. I think most of us have identified that it's Lingard's movement that makes him impressive but I think this explains why it's so good.
    It would appear that our team hasn't got enough risk takers when it comes to passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/jesse-lingard/

I'm enjoying reading this article about Lingard. I think most of us have identified that it's Lingard's movement that makes him impressive but I think this explains why it's so good.
    It would appear that our team hasn't got enough risk takers when it comes to passing.

you can see that very obvuously when Pogba plays.

When I watch our other midfielders I can predict what they are going to do - get the ball here, pass it there, move there, get the ball, pass it off there - its so often an easy short pass dropped off.

When pogba gets it, and matic (to a lesser degree), sometimes they will drop it off, sometimes they will play a more attacking ball, sometimes they will look to go past an opponent and open a new passing lane. Fellaini, Herrera, Carrick just don't do that enough. I think that then results in all our forward players becoming ineffective cause the movement they do offer isn't hit and when they do get the ball it has been as a result of an easy pass which means they weren't in an advantageous position - so they have to create something from a poor position or pass it off themselves.

I think the risk taking thing is pretty obvious for a long time now fellaini and Herrera been the two biggest culprits I remember having a rant about it myself last season and its why pogba makes such a difference.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think the risk taking thing is pretty obvious for a long time now fellaini and Herrera been the two biggest culprits I remember having a rant about it myself last season and its why pogba makes such a difference.

I noticed on Sunday that even Pep had confidence in his players ability to let them move out of position,look at Otamendi getting so far forward he was in the number 10 position at one stage. De Bruyne wandered all over the pitch while we had Young screaming at Martial to play as a defender.
    LVG had zero faith in the players to go out and express themselves,Jose to a lesser extent yet he still has his game plan for the big teams and wants his players to stick to it.
    Naturally the players can't just be left to their own devices but should be afforded a bit more trust in their ability.

• Advertisement

I noticed on Sunday that even Pep had confidence in his players ability to let them move out of position,look at Otamendi getting so far forward he was in the number 10 position at one stage. De Bruyne wandered all over the pitch while we had Young screaming at Martial to play as a defender.
    LVG had zero faith in the players to go out and express themselves,Jose to a lesser extent yet he still has his game plan for the big teams and wants his players to stick to it.
    Naturally the players can't just be left to their own devices but should be afforded a bit more trust in their ability.

I get that but that's his way every manager has different ways of winning and he ain't going to change now he has won too much been the way he is but the passing thing is not his fault he Herrera has been terrible this year picking out a pass and fellaini has many attributes but adventurous passing is not one of them.

I get that but that's his way every manager has different ways of winning and he ain't going to change now he has won too much been the way he is but the passing thing is not his fault he Herrera has been terrible this year picking out a pass and fellaini has many attributes but adventurous passing is not one of them.

There seems to be too much of a reliance on Pogba to provide the spark and link between midfield and attack, nobody else has stepped up to the plate,we have too many defensive minded midfielders in the squad who's natural instinct is to play it safe. Having Mikhitryan losing form at such a rate and going from one of our biggest threats to a non entity hasn't helped either.

There seems to be too much of a reliance on Pogba to provide the spark and link between midfield and attack, nobody else has stepped up to the plate,we have too many defensive minded midfielders in the squad who's natural instinct is to play it safe. Having Mikhitryan losing form at such a rate and going from one of our biggest threats to a non entity hasn't helped either.

Agree reliance on pogba is massive problem and it needs to be sorted we need someone in that midfield with him that can create stuff. If it's not fixed next summer I would be disappointed with the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

Agree reliance on pogba is massive problem and it needs to be sorted we need someone in that midfield with him that can create stuff. If it's not fixed next summer I would be disappointed with the manager.

Agreed someone like Veratti or Kroos. Would like to see a new Striker to put some pressure on Lukaku. Although this may be pointless if the style against big teams does not change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Should Mata and Mkhitaryan not be supplying additional the creativity to supplement Pogba. I've always been more of a reader than a poster on this thread because I've always found some of the tactical references from some posters really insightful. Way beyond my own knowledge.
    But I could never get my head around how those two players in particular don't seem to find a way of playing to their full potential in our team. I read the arguments put out regarding them and for the life of me I cannot make sense of it.
    Is it our style of play, the roles they're asked to play, or their positions on the pitch.
    Loved Mata at Chelsea and was delighted we signed him and have to admit I always look forward to seeing his name on the team sheet
    Nearly the same for Miki. Huge player in Germany. Should have had no reason not to make a similar impact in England, but it just doesn't seem to click for him for more than a few games at a time.
    I would never have been a fan of Mourinhos type of football and concluded myself that he couldn't make use of their talents.
    Am I wrong? Are they overrated? Are there players with a similar skillset that would do better job in our team with the style we currently play?
    Like I said, always like reading this thread, so I'd love someone to explain how/why they don't fit.

• Advertisement

Think we're going to make a big, big push for Ozil next month tbh.

I'll stay

I'LL MAKE THE SUPERTHREAD GREAT AGAIN....

Good man Jayo.

I'm not going anywhere either. They tried to ban me (well, no 'try' about it, they did do it, quite successfully. And on that note, just FYI - That 24 hour ban warning on the humour thread applies to the whole soccer forum and not just the humour thread :o)

Hopefully we'll see the likes of astradave and buckety back here very soon, plus a rake of other once-regular posters who are missing too.

Not just the City game and the title race. The eye opener for me was the week before when us beating Arsenal meant that their own team(s) would be more secure in the Top 4. Nope, that didn't matter, a toxic cloud of bitterness was still unleashed.

Anyway...

At this earlier stage of the season, I'm usually an "Any win will do for now, 3 points are the main thing" sort of guy. Tonight though I'd like to see a reaction and a few goals from us.

It won't change last Sunday's result or give us bonus points in the league, but it would be a lovely pallet cleanser to both 1) Purge the taste of Sunday's defeat, and 2) Give the team a confident start to a favourable-enough run of games coming up between now and the end of the month...

17/12 - West Brom (A)
    20/12 - Bristol City (A) EFL Cup QF
    23/12 - Leicester City (A)
    26/12 - Burnley (H)
    30/12 - Southampton (A)

Looking beyond that, January could be a worse run for us in fairness...

1/1 - Everton (A)
    6/1 - Derby County (A) FA Cup 3rd Round
    15/1 - Stoke (H)
    20/1 - Burnley (A)
    31/1 - Spurs (A)

One game at a time and all that, but I'd be seriously hoping to make the most of that run between now and early February.

I can't help but notice that there are two games against Burnley in there. United should be beating them of course, but they aren't currently 4th in the league by fluke. They could be the bogey fixtures for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Think we're going to make a big, big push for Ozil next month tbh.

If we do we'll just have another problem to solve with Pogba being asked to do a more defensive role than he's capable of.

We should be looking for a partner for Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

This guy is normally pretry decent for team news :-

https://twitter.com/JonathanShrager/status/941009817891729410

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

^^^ Just beat me to posting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

beno619 wrote: »
    If we do we'll just have another problem to solve with Pogba being asked to do a more defensive role than he's capable of.

We should he looking for a partner for Matic.

Agree .imo a partner for Matic is needed.Herrera/Fellaini arent up to it. Matic/new cm and Pogba ahead of them is the way to get the best out of Pogba.

We need someone who can control cm but also pick out a forward pass/start attacks.CM without Pogba is too easy for teams to suss out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

That is unreal news

Hope he gets some gametime from the bench soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Is there a highlights show on tonight?

That's fantastic news about Gomez he is another real bright light in our third world academy.. keep them coming Nicky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement