Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can think of one United player missing a drugs test, Rio Ferdinand 15 years ago. Was there another I didn't know about? Just want to ask because I don't think one example meets the definition for "common".

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Even Jose admits that Sanchez is juicing...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42826797

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I can think of one United player missing a drugs test, Rio Ferdinand 15 years ago. Was there another I didn't know about? Just want to ask because I don't think one example meets the definition for "common".

Put it this way, it’s more common with Man City :D

Think ebbsy is a pool fan anyways, wonder if he has anything to say about Nathaniel Clyne and the rumours around him atm.

In fairness I just think it was a pretty poor attempt at having a laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We should cut our losses and sell him immediately. If we got 100m for him we'd lose about 80m on what we paid for him this week though.

Jayop wrote: »
    We should cut our losses and sell him immediately. If we got 100m for him we'd lose about 80m on what we paid for him this week though.

We would have to add on the other 650m he will get over his contract as that’s apparently a clause if we sell him on, we would have to give the agent a boat load as he owns 99% of the sell on fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ebbsy wrote: »
    Seems to be a common amongst Utd players, missing drugs tests.

Pathetic effort. 1/10.
    1Point for the 7 letter word.

Meh I thought it was a half decent dig.

#TeamEbbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm sure this has been posted but Jose talking about Sanchez, and some oranges.
    I think Alexis reminds me a little bit of the history - I don't know, it's not a history, almost a metaphor - when you see the tree with amazing oranges at the top and cannot get there. You say: 'Oh, I got the lower ones because I don't like the ones at the top. You like the ones at the top. They are so nice, so orange, so round, so full of juice but you cannot get there so you say: 'I don't want to go there' or 'I didn't like it, I prefer the other ones.' It reminds me of that story.

Must of had a few jars in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The implication being of course that Sanchez is always using that same fake tan that Donald Trump is

I watched him saying it in the press conference, very amusing. He is in good spirits to be sure!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

yabadabado wrote: »
    Pathetic effort. 1/10.
    1Point for the 7 letter word.

Bet ya everyone looked to see which one was a 7 letter word ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cannot ****ing wait for tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Not as common as winning trophies. :cool:

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Not as common as winning trophies. :cool:

VlgXG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

BBC tonight yes?

macslash wrote: »
    BBC tonight yes?

Yes indeed, BT must be fuming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Would you mind telling the friendly folk in the united thread why Clyne hadnt played for liverpool for the last number of months...

Gotta agree with the sentiments re Wenger. It would have been easy to fudge that and pass the blame to United or the player. Also agree that surely the testers could show a tiny bit of cop on with regards the testing and awareness of something like this transfer going on.

bangkok wrote: »
    Would you mind telling the friendly folk in the united thread why Clyne hadnt played for liverpool for the last number of months...

Rumor and conjecture has it that he is not injured, that he in fact failed an in-house drug test and has quietly been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ah yes,the test he took again and passed yet was still banned. On the same day an unnamed City player climbed out of a dressing room window to avoid testing. ;)

It's odd though not seeing #justiceforClyne t shirts. ;) Lallana should be tested every day,he couldn't last more than 70 minutes at Southampton before going off knackered,joined Liverpool and can run around like a maniac for the full 90. :)

Probably already posted but feck it.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/956627767021457409

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SSN doing a tour of Yeovils ground yesterday

FFS Utd played them three years ago so its nothing new to most of the squad

Get in,get the result and leg it

Cant wait for the fancy graphs tonight showing the cost of both teams

I just can’t wait for football, too long a gap since we signed Alexis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

All about the Facebook likes stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ef555cfba2113070cb7c5b440c025171f707ef604672066a2411c978f0414876.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight is going to be Jose’s 100th match in charge..

astradave wrote: »
    Tonight is going to be Jose’s 100th match in charge..

Will he get a birthday cake afterwards too?

Ah I like all the stuff about the minnows. Makes the cup special.

• BBC tonight chaps?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    BBC tonight chaps?

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

anyway hopefully a decent performance tonight, anything less then win is awful

anyway hopefully a decent performance tonight, anything less then win is awful

They are still confused after finding out that their city has a work ;) permit office. Minds are blown on Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

secman wrote: »
    On Mourinho extending his contract, have to agree that it adds stability to the club and its definitely attracting better quality players to the club and a major plus holding on to David DeGea hopefully.

Have to say my initial reaction was it doesn't really change much, probably gets himself a nice pay bump he wanted and still could pull a Jose and just have a pure blowout and walk next season.

Then I took of my "hatred" glasses and watched his interview, and it did seem pretty sincere and he looks happy and content.

And the way things are shaping up against City, maybe we are on the cusp of some serious explosion in terms of squad building and investment.

And then I let myself wonder, probably stupidly "Could this actually be him finally planting roots?"

jayo26 wrote: »
    Who was it that was convinced Jose wanted to go to pay and would leave the club before August?

I probably felt he could have gone this summer. There was a really sour atmosphere around him, that he was contributing to, and with his history probably did wonder was he paving his way out.

In my group of mates some of the lads still believe this morning he wont get through a full season next year.

In fairness, we should be wise enough nowadays to know a contract doesn't actually mean anything, bar the person involved getting a pay bump. It's absolutely no means of security. If a manager or players wants out, they will go.

v3ttel wrote: »

Interesting, I haven't read that about not giving any attacking players direction or coaching. Regardless of the method, the output/results don't tally with the perception. In many cases, it shows exactly the opposite.

It's probably just a result of the general world of BS that accompany so many successful teams & people. People are always ready to throw muck as them to see what sticks.

I just find it a bit curious that people seem to be influenced so much by rag opinion, even when all the evidence says the opposite. I think all the points I had there about his previous teams were valid and no manager is going to perfect with every attacking player in his career. It doesn't mean he should develop an unwarranted rep.

As you mentioned obviously its important to understand context in terms of how a player did or whatever with a manager as they might be trying to put blame somewhere else.

But heres something I was reading only a few days ago that had a noticeable and trending theme

http://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/said-11-players-work-mourinho-guardiola/

Like a case in point of maybe where you go "well hold on a second" was with Hazard last season outlining how he learned more tactically and positionally from Conte in a week then he did with Jose for two years, about how it could be confusing at being called out about a performance, but not being told any specifics.

I remember at the time and still now "Well Eden you turned to dog **** and downed tools, so obviously you were going to blame the manager".

That is typically the read that needs to go into all of this, but I've never seen a trend of players or staff or anyone discuss or detail about his attacking methods. Even the books wrote about him, his unsolicited auto biography, interviews with people who were massive influences on him, it's never made clear or at times even referenced about his attacking thoughts.

There is actually a brilliant interview somewhere I'll try dig out. It was with some like, Proffesor in Portugal or something, who was seemingly a massive influence on Mourinho, that somewhat goes to explain his "ideas" about how a team should play. And it actually shed some light on why it can be 1) difficult to actual work out what the hell his teams are meant to do in possesion and 2) Outlined that to layman it looks defensive or he will be labelled a defensive coach, but that fails to acknowledge whats happening in this idea of football.

I like to think I can understand what I'm seeing when it comes to football, but this article/interview has stuck with me a bit. Unfortunately it still seems to me to be a bit "well is it actually, or is it another handy explanation for him not able to do something"

EDIT: The dude is called Professor Manuel Sérgio, still googling to find the article

Also not putting this stuff here as a defence of my opinion, more an outline where I've been forming these thoughts from or whatever.

Not to get all "more than a club" but you seem to have totally dismissed one factor.

United are a very different club to both Chelsea and Madrid.

In making correlations about Mourinho's past and if trying to make any representations about maybe where issues might occur and all that, Madrid is a brilliant corresponding example that nearly identically matches us.

At the highest level, a club steeped in rich history and success, where there is a core belief of "how" the team should look, operate and play, and imprinting a drastically different approach, can cause conflict and issues.

While obviously you can't predict anything per say, if you wanted to try, Real Madrid is the perfect example I'd suggest. In terms of clubs he managed.

Just as a general comment, while I'm responding to specifics that might be conceived as Jose bashing or promoting negativity, I'm in an extremely positive mood about the team at the moment, and even the manager. I'm in a good vibe moment, and I'm actually sweating for the CL to resume.

TheDoc wrote: »
    In making correlations about Mourinho's past and if trying to make any representations about maybe where issues might occur and all that, Madrid is a brilliant corresponding example that nearly identically matches us.

If you think there is a similarity between how Madrid and United handle their managers then you are welcome to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just as a general comment, while I'm responding to specifics that might be conceived as Jose bashing or promoting negativity, I'm in an extremely positive mood about the team at the moment, and even the manager. I'm in a good vibe moment, and I'm actually sweating for the CL to resume.

Manchester-United-Training-pic-from-Anthony-Martial-instagram-profile.jpg

I probably felt he could have gone this summer. There was a really sour atmosphere around him, that he was contributing to, and with his history probably did wonder was he paving his way out.

In my group of mates some of the lads still believe this morning he wont get through a full season next year.

In fairness, we should be wise enough nowadays to know a contract doesn't actually mean anything, bar the person involved getting a pay bump. It's absolutely no means of security. If a manager or players wants out, they will go.

Oh I agree the contract doesn't mean he is going to be here long term but what it dies show is the crap that was shouted in here about Jose wanting to go to pay and the bored not been happy with him for giving honest opinions to transfers and so on.

He could easily be sacked next year who knows but it has to put to bed any talk if unrest in the club in connection with the manager.

That's pretty much what I ment when was discussing it yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,488 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

At the highest level, a club steeped in rich history and success, where there is a core belief of "how" the team should look, operate and play, and imprinting a drastically different approach, can cause conflict and issues.

While obviously you can't predict anything per say, if you wanted to try, Real Madrid is the perfect example I'd suggest. In terms of clubs he managed.
    I feel Madrid is slightly different in context though.

The attitude to giving managers time at Madrid is generally different to the attitude of giving a manager time at United (generally). Where the club can see progress they will give time, imo.

At Madrid you simply must win. If you don't you will lose you job and I think Capello or VDB lost their job even after winning the league, because they didn't win the CL.

At Madrid Jose had to get his side winning, which he did in one season in three.

At Madrid there are also huge political factors which Jose failed to navigate or handled poorly - which contributed to him leaving. His relationship with Ramos and Casilas for example.

He also would have had his control over the club direction limited somewhat by both the president and sporting director.

I don't think that it should be ignored that his biggest problems at Chelsea came from the club signing players for him that were not the players he wanted brought in and what he felt was a lack of backing - similar to Real Madrid imo and different to the structure (and backing) he is enjoying at United.

At Chelsea after the first season he wanted defensive reinforcements and got two players he didn't want and barely played: Papy Djilobodji and Abdul Rahman Baba. I heard (A LOT) prior to signing Pedro that Jose didn't want him brought in (and I said to my dad - chelsea fan) at the time that if Pedro was signed Jose would be gone by the end of the season. Pedro was a Roman signing, and Chelsea going back to a 'What Roman Says' transfer policy was a huge sign to me that Jose was about to walk away.

We may have missed out on a couple of players he wanted, but in general I think United have been good at getting players in and, importantly, the players that are brought in being players he wants.

At United the signings and direction of the club are his to steer. There is no political issues for him to navigate (bar some back and forth with Woodward on budgets.) He is, and will, be given time to build the side back up to contention and won't be under threat of being fired (imo) for finishing second or not winning the CL - he has more room to breath at United than Real Madrid.

That is why I think think he approach and tenure at United can and hopefully will be very different than what we saw at Madrid.

Jose is now at a huge club, providing him backing, support and time. I don't see him wanting to walk out on that as long as he is getting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have to say my initial reaction was it doesn't really change much, probably gets himself a nice pay bump he wanted and still could pull a Jose and just have a pure blowout and walk next season.

He might even move out of the hotel now that he's got a few bob extra in his pocket :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

VW 1 wrote: »
    He might even move out of the hotel now that he's got a few bob extra in his pocket :P

He didn't go for the free cancellation option. Wouldn't pay the extra few pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Manchester-United-Training-pic-from-Anthony-Martial-instagram-profile.jpg

who's that beside Lukaku, no.49?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nalz wrote: »
    who's that beside Lukaku, no.49?

Joe Riley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Joe Riley

He's cute

Angel Gomes is with the squad for tonight’s match :D

Nalz wrote: »
    He's cute

We will have none of that disrespectful talk in here. Men ain't objects!!!!!

#metoo :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DDG, Pogba, Martial, Jones and Valencia haven't traveled with the squad.

Carrick and Angel Gnomes have. Hope the kid gets some time cause I've heard great things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement