Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Great night of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Good results tonight

Terrible game though

• Important result
    Get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just about got the 3 points. Very poor performance. Expected a much better performance after the weekends result.

Bournemouth with a lot more efforts on goal than ourselves and we were very poor going forward.

Good to see Shaw get over 80mins with a decent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thank Christ for that final whistle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sh*t performance. Good results tonight though.

Few teams below us dropping points again I see,so a good sh1tty 1 nil win tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Poor performance but 3 points, that's a good thing.

2nd place trophy rivals drop points, that's a good thing.

MaccyT and Shaw played well, that's a good thing.

Lukaka got a goal, that's a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

6th game with a 1 0 scoreline in United's last 14 games....almost half the games are decided by that one goal.

Time to allow the team play with more freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Poor performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That wasn't pretty but we needed it......

All the top teams
    apart from Arsenal
    have won again so it's nice to be seven points ahead of 4th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bournemouth have had us pinned back for the end of this game. They'll be very unlucky not to get something out of this. Very poor from our perspective.

9 corners to 2. 7 shots to 2 on target [ by the way thats Manchester United with the lower ones at home to Bournemouth ] but hey everything is awesome cause we done better than pool arsenal and Swansea.
    We are just lucky that pool and arsenal are as bad as us

51DcFM%2B%2Bp%2BL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Danny Dichio you have been great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

7 ahead of Spurs and Pool. 8 ahead of Arsenal. Opening up a nice gap there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

6th game with a 1 0 scoreline in United's last 14 games....almost half the games are decided by that one goal.

Time to allow the team play with more freedom

edit: stats wrong I see you are just talking about the league.. in the last 14 games we have scored 22 goals.. 3 matches with 0 goals 4 losses in total 2 wins scoring 4 goals 1 win scoring 3, 3 1-0 wins

Robson99 wrote: »
    9 corners to 2. 7 shots to 2 on target [ by the way thats Manchester United with the lower ones at home to Bournemouth ] but hey everything is awesome cause we done better than pool arsenal and Swansea.

You have a weird way of looking at things... who said anything about everything been Ok? Get off your bloody horse and contribute something insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Good result, important to get the win after the weekend. Clean sheet is important also, could have had more. Bournmouth tend to cause us problems and they always have a go, given the conditions I am not inclined to be too harsh on the players. Shaw with his first Premier League start, Jones just back, McTominay in, Mata in etc I think it was more important to get the result then worry about how it came about.

Keeping that gap to Chelsea is a big thing right now, one more game without Pogba to go and hopefully get the likes of Fellaini back too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Couldn't agree more, people will say we are being overly negative but that was a worse performance than the City game imo.

City had 65% possession at home to us, created 14 shots, 7 on target and 8 corners. We had 5 shots on target on City.

With 44% possession Bournemouth created 13 shots, 7 on target (so allowed a better shot accuracy than City) and created 9 corners. We had 2 shots on target on them.

Let that sink in, to a 14th place team at home we had two shots on target and gave them that much attacking room.

I hope Jose is ripping into them in the dressing right now because that is no kind of response to a Derby defeat. Players didn't look bothered, nothing happens in midfield and the amount of space we are giving teams at home is unforgivable. Sevilla would easily win unless Jose and the team wake up to the problems.

How bout we bring moyes in? He seems to be doing a good job at West Ham

Worse, they are worse then us.

Which wouldn't be hard really considering there is only one team in the league not actually worse then us.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    You have a weird way of looking at things... who said anything about everything been Ok? Get off your bloody horse and contribute something insightful.

In other words join the Jose love boat. No thanks

Its fun here, theres coke and hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Good result, important to get the win after the weekend. Clean sheet is important also, could have had more. Bournmouth tend to cause us problems and they always have a go, given the conditions I am not inclined to be too harsh on the players. Shaw with his first Premier League start, Jones just back, McTominay in, Mata in etc I think it was more important to get the result then worry about how it came about.

Keeping that gap to Chelsea is a big thing right now, one more game without Pogba to go and hopefully get the likes of Fellaini back too.

You having a laugh -it was Bournmouth not Barcelona take the blinkers off

A win is a win, but...

The thing that pisses me off the most about a poor performance like that is the amount of aimless long balls up towards (I guess) Lukaku. So much wasted possession. This was happening from early on tonight, not just in times of desperation or pressure. We're really not great at keeping possession at the moment.

Both Shaw and McTominay had very good games, as did Phil Jones.

Herrera was good when he came on.

Lukaku's header was a peach.

Martial did some good work in the build-up to the goal, other than that it was a poor night from him. Similar from Mata, and Jesse wasn't great either.

That match was the definition of 'Win ugly'.

Anyway, don't care. Back to 3 points over Chelsea, a comfortable 7 point gap over 4th place Spurs and the cluster below them.

3 away games coming up now, United don't play at home again until St. Stephen's Day. We'll need to see better from the team than tonight to get wins away to West Brom and Leicester. Thankfully Pogba will be back after West Brom to bolster the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's worrying. This is arguably City's most difficult league fixture.
    limnam wrote:
    I predict Swansea away in December will be a more difficult game than tonight.

Chelsea were rubbish.
    I disagree, I think City will beat Swansea away quite easily.
    limnam wrote:
    You should be a millionaire with your insight into the results 3 months away.

They didn't beat them so easily at _home_ last year.

When the cold snap came in last year, between oct-jan

beat by spurs/leiciester/chelsea/liverpool/everton (4-0!)

They drew with everton/southampton/midboro/spurs

They had a fairly similar start last year and everyone was foaming at the mouth only for them to fall apart during the winter.

A routine 4-0. Still waiting for the cold snap.

Don't want you on our boat anyway...

You don't have to join anything but you don't even bother engaging in any kind of debate you just one in with your snide comments from the outside and leave that's about it.

• Its fun here, theres coke and hookers

Sounds like my kind of party

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Nice to see the bin dippers dropping points.

See this is the type of comment that's just overboard... why like.

Zico ! wrote: »
    You having a laugh -it was Bournmouth not Barcelona take the blinkers off

I like the blinkers, they allow me to post here with a sunny disposition instead of getting bogged down.

The performance was poor, the result is all that matters, you know this. The conditions, the hangover from the derby, the changes to the team etc are all factors that go into **** performances.

Getting 3 points on the board was all that mattered and it was done. The players missed chances to kill the game, we have heard that story before.

Your having a laugh if you thought tonight was going to be a romp tbh given everything else, grinding out the results is a very important thing to be able to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Screenshots or GTFO.

Don't want you on our boat anyway...

You don't have to join anything but you don't even bother engaging in any kind of debate you just one in with your snide comments from the outside and leave that's about it.

Good lad. Thanks for the tip.

It was a poor performance but we still could have easily scored 3 goals had martial not missed an open goal and Rashfords shot gone in we were threatening but the final ball was off too many times.

astradave wrote: »
    How bout we bring moyes in? He seems to be doing a good job at West Ham

I honestly don't get these reactions to criticising the team, even after a win.

Tonight we were muck and its plain to see, we gave relegation fodder acres of space and they out attacked us at home tonight. We created 2 threatening shots and scraped a victory. We were constantly giving the ball away and playing hoofball at other times. It was shocking.

I get the whole 3 points are the most important thing but as an indicator of from this is worrying and Jose is getting plenty of valid criticism. Nobody is asking for Moyes, we asking our current coach who has spent bucket loads to get this team playing better than it currently is. Perfectly reasonable.

I like the blinkers, they allow me to post here with a sunny disposition instead of getting bogged down.

The performance was poor, the result is all that matters, you know this. The conditions, the hangover from the derby, the changes to the team etc are all factors that go into **** performances.

Getting 3 points on the board was all that mattered and it was done. The players missed chances to kill the game, we have heard that story before.

Your having a laugh if you thought tonight was going to be a romp tbh given everything else, grinding out the results is a very important thing to be able to do.

A romp? how about having the better of 14th place Bournemouth at home. They out attacked us and were better in terms of passing and creating chances, they looked sharp, we looked clueless at times, only for DDG that would have been a loss.

I wasn't looking for a romp, i was expecting us to look better then Bournemouth, they had us pinned back at the end and played some nice football. We were lumping it at times because our midfield couldn't string it together.

Tonight we were muck and its plain to see, we gave relegation fodder acres of space and they out attacked us at home tonight. We created 2 threatening shots and scraped a victory. We were constantly giving the ball away and playing hoofball at other times. It was shocking.

I get the whole 3 points are the most important thing but as an indicator of from this is worrying and Jose is getting plenty of valid criticism. Nobody is asking for Moyes, we asking our current coach who has spent bucket loads to get this team playing better than it currently is. Perfectly reasonable.

Why did you qoute Me? I asked him to contribute more other then snide comments? Read what your quoting I have said it wasn't a great performance......

• Advertisement

Good lad. Thanks for the tip.

No problem bit with comments as such from yourself don't expect much in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

See this is the type of comment that's just overboard... why like.

It's a joke, however some fùùcktard reported me for it.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    It's a joke, however some fùùcktard reported me for it.

Lol you mean you expected it to go unnoticed haha.

You are either inventing this "but hey everything is alright" attitude that you see or are taking a post or two, and running with them as the thread opinion. Even the most positive of posters in here, I see them acknowledging the team's problems and shortcomings.

As for 'as bad as us', I could easily bunch you into the 'sky is falling' category with a statement like that. 7 points between United and those teams you mentioned, and a good Chelsea team in between. Really, they're just as bad as us and hence us as bad as them?

Some of you are off your rocker. A win in the freezing, pissy rain mid-week to a team of absolute grafters, not pretty but it's 3 points. Yet you're in here over-stressing the fact that they had more corners and attempts on target. Let's not forget, but for a 100% individual error from Martial we were 2-0. But for a whisker at the upright we were 3-0 up courtesy of a long-range shot from Rashford.

Bournemouth threatened, but did they have those kind of close chances? Never mind attempts on target or corners.

Some short memories in here too. Only 2 years ago we endured the club's worst December run of results in modern history. Only last December we were busting a gut to try and get out of 6th and catch the Top 4 pack. Despite some good results and that unbeaten run in early 2017, it proved ineffective as we never caught the Top 4. 6th is where we're coming from.

Here we are now, comfortably 2nd at the moment after some good work done this season and with that 2nd place in our own hands. But because City have clicked in their project which is at a completely different stage to ours and have seemingly wrapped up the title, nothing is good enough now for some people.

Really, nothing is good enough now. If we had have gotten a 3-0 or 4-0 tonight, I can't imagine the same posters being much more optimistic. Not here tonight, that's what they'd be.

Ah that's the rub thought isn't it, the team has played better. That it won't play as team whooping people 4-0 week in week out seems to be an issue.

Progress is undeniable and good football has been played this season, there are plenty of problems you can pick out I doubt anybody would actually deny that. The problem comes in when people come in with the same schtick every opportunity, you are supposed to forget about form funnily enough but take one game as an indicator of form at the same time.

The team has not been firing for a month, the team has still been achieving more then acceptable results overall. Any other season I doubt they would be many points off top, if any. Manchester City have not dropped a single point since August, that is incredible despite the claims previously that it is nothing special (bewildering, I know)

The reliance on Pogba is not acceptable and must be addressed, but to want to be doom and gloom after enduring the last few years? Considering where we are and where we came from? No ****ing way.

Only spoiled children, products of generation now could expect the team to be doing much more then it is right now tbh.

Coming through hard games, having to grind out clean sheets certainly has its merits surely you can agree. We had a run of 1-0 wins where Cantona scored the winner in most games a long time ago, they were pivotal in a title winning season. We had a **** tonne of 1-0 wins under Fergie not so long ago which won us a league (with some abysmal performances along the way). It builds momentum, it builds spirit, it builds full stop.

The people who are nothing but negative are absolutely every bit as dumb as people who think Everything is Awesome(TM) There is room for debate, there always is, there will always be something to give out about. Its football, but perspective is a dangerous thing it seems to some.

• Advertisement

A romp? how about having the better of 14th place Bournemouth at home. They out attacked us and were better in terms of passing and creating chances, they looked sharp, we looked clueless at times, only for DDG that would have been a loss.

I wasn't looking for a romp, i was expecting us to look better then Bournemouth, they had us pinned back at the end and played some nice football. We were lumping it at times because our midfield couldn't string it together.

We outscored them

Oh and we won the passing, sure isn't that very important going on some of your other posts?

tbh i have no problem whatsoever with warranted critique, when there is a well thought out post that is reasoned and backed up like your own, but when a poster comes in continuously even when we play good spouting negative stuff just because he doesn't like the manager and wants him out, he should be met with the same standard of post in return.

Just on the bolded, i cannot agree with this, i think he made saves that any keeper at a PL team should be expected to make. if we had Romero or Pereira in goals i still think the result would be the same..

with regards to the control of the game i think the problem lied in the "No10" position, i had said this at half time and it continued into the second half.
    Jesse needs to stop getting drawn up to the CB’s as they have been playing the ball forward and we win it back but we should be playing it to Jesse to link to the attackers and wide men but he is up higher than Lukaku at times

We outscored them

Oh and we won the passing, sure isn't that very important going on some of your other posts?

Won the passing? thats a good one. Let me guess we statistically had more successful passes then them right?

So with more possession and passing we created less chances (shots on target, shots and corners) but we won the passing. No, that means they used the ball more efficiently and smarter than us.

Under LVG we often had more possession than lower table teams and created feck all, its easy to pass it backwards well.

Although i don't expect this to register with you going on some of your other posts.

tbh i have no problem whatsoever with warranted critique, when there is a well thought out post that is reasoned and backed up like your own, but when a poster comes in continuously even when we play good spouting negative stuff just because he doesn't like the manager and wants him out, he should be met with the same standard of post in return.

OKay, I'm unaware of the other posters history as I've been absent from here for a while but he's right about tonight's performance, although even a broken clock is right twice a day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

You've been saving that up.

Congratulations.

Your team is going to win the league. *clap* *clap*

There is actually a bit of arrogance about it also really, its like United are supposed to just decide to win as they please, the opponent doesn't have a say in proceedings. No credit to Bournemouth for a giving a good account of themselves at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

There is actually a bit of arrogance about it also really, its like United are supposed to just decide to win as they please, the opponent doesn't have a say in proceedings. No credit to Bournemouth for a giving a good account of themselves at all.

Both teams were fairly rubbish.

Won the passing? thats a good one. Let me guess we statistically had more successful passes then them right?

So with more possession and passing we created less chances (shots on target, shots and corners) but we won the passing. No, that means they used the ball more efficiently and smarter than us.

Under LVG we often had more possession than lower table teams and created feck all, its easy to pass it backwards well.

Although i don't expect this to register with you going on some of your other posts.

And yet you took the time to post it, not the most efficient use of your time really.

limnam wrote: »
    Both teams were fairly rubbish.

The conditions didn't exactly favour beautiful football :)

Bournemouth gave a good account of themselves, I would claim no more than that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement