Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

And yet you took the time to post it, not the most efficient use of your time really.

and youv'e taken time out to reply to me several times? I'm sure you think that was a good point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bournemouth are a good footballing side,they play some nice stuff at times and offer more to the league then the likes of Stoke do imo

When Pogba is back I would like to see a midfield three of Pogba,Scott McTominay and Matic given a go,

Or else start playing higher up the pitch again and have Mata in with Pogba and Matic and have him playing close to Pogba,few sneaky one twos and all that jazz going on

• Bournemouth are a good footballing side,they play some nice stuff at times and offer more to the league then the likes of Stoke do imo

When Pogba is back I would like to see a midfield three of Pogba,Scott McTominay and Matic given a go,

Or else start playing higher up the pitch again and have Mata in with Pogba and Matic and have him playing close to Pogba,few sneaky one twos and all that jazz going on

I'd really like to see that three man midfield.
    Mctominey is assured on the ball and is strong.
    Good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

and youv'e taken time out to reply to me several times? I'm sure you think that was a good point though.

Why wouldn't I reply to you?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Balls rolling at snails pace into De's arms from 20+yds while they might count as a shot on target it's not like there was any danger of them going in.

There was pretty much 0 threat from them, united are just off the back of a balloon bursting loss that's pretty much put n end to their season and there's no real pressure coming from most of the teams beneath us.

Tonight was always going to be a damp squid imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Bournemouth are a good footballing side,they play some nice stuff at times and offer more to the league then the likes of Stoke do imo

Yes, this is a problem, and it was one that was apparent during LVG's reign, and even Moyes actually. The attacking players are not linking up well together mainly because they are playing too far away from each other, Lukaku is hopelessly isolated too much.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The result is the most important thing. It wasn't
    a great performance, but there were quite a few positive things.

Another clean sheet,Lukaku scored,and both Shaw and McTominay put in good performances.Like I said after the City game it's now all about solidifying second place. The top 4 as it is,is how I see it ending up at the end of the season.

Everyone outside it now is just battling it out for automatic qualification for the EL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Have to Hand it to the lads tonight, they didn't Intentionally look to Hand points away after the last game.

Always follow an L or a D with W. :)

Won the passing? thats a good one. Let me guess we statistically had more successful passes then them right?

So with more possession and passing we created less chances (shots on target, shots and corners) but we won the passing. No, that means they used the ball more efficiently and smarter than us.

Under LVG we often had more possession than lower table teams and created feck all, its easy to pass it backwards well.

Although i don't expect this to register with you going on some of your other posts.

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/941078101785759744

now while it wasn't all good and far from it wasn't as gloomy as your making out

user2011 wrote: »
    Have to Hand it to the lads tonight, they didn't Intentionally look to Hand points away after the last game.

Always follow an L or a D with W. :)

I'm happy for our win, can you imagine the alternative?

Scenes as paragraphs from the referee's rule book get quoted over and over :pac:

Or something.

Again, not a pretty win, but it'll do.

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/941078101785759744

now while it wasn't all good and far from it wasn't as gloomy as your making out

Look at the state of our pass map compared to bouremouth, gaping holes in midfield with and without the ball it seems

Look at the state of our pass map compared to bouremouth, gaping holes in midfield with and without the ball it seems

It's a void at the moment, even with good individual performances from the likes of Matic and McTominay.

I'd really like to see 3 in there for the majority of our games. 'But we'd lose an attacker doing that'. Doesn't matter because our attackers are getting fúck-all chance to attack consistently as it is.

#EverythingIsAwesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Great to see Shaw back. Hopefully one less position to fill this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Great to see Shaw back. Hopefully one less position to fill this summer.

Reminds me of schweinsteiger and depay gettin run outs last December before being shipped out, hope its not just to put in shop window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Broken Record Time.....

We should try buy Mahrez in January. He is literally perfect for us.

Reasons:
    1. He is gettable. £40 million for a proven high quality Premier League attacker.
    2. He is available for the Champions League.
    3. He is something we lack (left footer with pace).
    4. He plays as a winger in a 442 regularly. Good work ethic believe it or not.
    5. He can easily play wide right forward in a 433 formation.
    6. He is quite good in the number 10 type role for our 3412 formation.
    7. He takes corners and free kicks very well.
    8. He scores goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

relegation fodder

That's pretty unfair on Bournemouth tbh.

Anyway feck MOTD for getting our hopes up by putting you know who on first, league leaders beating relegation certainties is not news :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rooney is flying, another goal. Outscoring the likes of Lukaku, Jesus, Lacazette and Sanchez in the league so far this season.

Delighted for him.

A lot of posters got grief for suggesting he could still perform at this level, now that's not to say we should have kept him because it absolutely was the right time for all parties to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

GSPfan wrote: »
    Broken Record Time.....

Reasons:
    1. He is gettable. £40 million for a proven high quality Premier League attacker.
    8. He scores goals.

He's a super player, but I would be amazed if Mourinho went for him and I fear he would be stifled under Mourinho.
    I think of Duff, Joe Cole, Robben, Kevin de bryne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

secman wrote: »
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Broken Record Time.....

Reasons:
    8. He scores goals.

He's a super player, but I would be amazed if Mourinho went for him and I fear he would be stifled under Mourinho.

Robben and Duff where brilliant under mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Joe Cole played well only under Jose, once he left Chelsea he was a nothing player.

KdB wasn't the same player he is today. They shouldn't have sold him but he wasn't as good.

Robben and Duff were superb, Robben had injury problems.

Then you can add Di Maria who was very good for Madrid, Ozil at Madrid, Sneijder, Pandev and few others at Inter.

Hazard at Chelsea who won the league and player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It wasn't the swashbuckling convincing win we were after but for me it was just all about getting the result yesterday. Needed to bounce back by getting 3 points.

Nice to see Shaw getting a good long run out and of course having Phil Jones back and picking up another clean sheet.

Hopefully City drop some points to Spurs and we can put away West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

One thing I thought I'd point out at the midway point of the season. Mourinho has done a stellar job with Rashford and Martial. The United first XI is very young for a Mourinho team and the Mourinho doesn't develop youth narrative has ebbed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Ah that's the rub thought isn't it, the team has played better. That it won't play as team whooping people 4-0 week in week out seems to be an issue.

Progress is undeniable and good football has been played this season, there are plenty of problems you can pick out I doubt anybody would actually deny that. The problem comes in when people come in with the same schtick every opportunity, you are supposed to forget about form funnily enough but take one game as an indicator of form at the same time.

The team has not been firing for a month, the team has still been achieving more then acceptable results overall. Any other season I doubt they would be many points off top, if any. Manchester City have not dropped a single point since August, that is incredible despite the claims previously that it is nothing special (bewildering, I know)

The reliance on Pogba is not acceptable and must be addressed, but to want to be doom and gloom after enduring the last few years? Considering where we are and where we came from? No ****ing way.

Only spoiled children, products of generation now could expect the team to be doing much more then it is right now tbh.

Coming through hard games, having to grind out clean sheets certainly has its merits surely you can agree. We had a run of 1-0 wins where Cantona scored the winner in most games a long time ago, they were pivotal in a title winning season. We had a **** tonne of 1-0 wins under Fergie not so long ago which won us a league (with some abysmal performances along the way). It builds momentum, it builds spirit, it builds full stop.

The people who are nothing but negative are absolutely every bit as dumb as people who think Everything is Awesome(TM) There is room for debate, there always is, there will always be something to give out about. Its football, but perspective is a dangerous thing it seems to some.

I kinda only lurk now and again now...it appears to me that alot of the posters who are 'negative' about JM are the ones who stayed with Moyes and LVG the longest so your point about being spoilt is a pile of b*llocks.

I would actually argue that it's the opposite, you are likely to be pro JM if all you care about is winning in any given game by any means necessary. JM guarantees short term success in a certain way, the ones who want him are the ones who are spoilt.
    We have played good stuff at times and had some very good individual passages of play against lesser sides but none of that inspires that this team is well coached with a long term plan or outlook.
    Well actually there is a plan... the plan is to defend well and hope for the best with expensive attacking purchases...is that sustainable?

And yes I have crawled out of the woodwork 😀

JM makes it hard for me to care...on a week to week basis but the performances against Liverpool and City in particular would just make you despair

ericzeking wrote: »
    but the performances against Liverpool and City in particular would just make you despair

Current EL Champions.

2nd in the league.
    Best points tally at this point for an age.

Into the knockouts of the CL.

_now_ is the time for despair?

Are you new to do this?

limnam wrote: »
    Current EL Champions.

2nd in the league.

Are you new to do this?

Getting absolutely massacred by City at Old Trafford the way we did is a bigger deal than winning the Europa league if you can actually be bothered to think about it in a wider context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Current EL Champions.

2nd in the league.

Are you new to do this?

Frustration is probably more appropriate. In the run up to both games, lesser teams than us have caused Liverpool and City problems and really highlighted those teams weaknesses. We have players who are well placed to exploit all those weaknesses yet both performances were passive to say the least.

I just finished Zlatans autobiography and he gives Mourinho so much credit for being able to take advantage of the opponnents weakness. We seem to be seeing the opposite. Hardly time to panic though

Current EL Champions.

2nd in the league.

Are you new to do this?

That's all well and good, but the main reason for celebration is the return of the mighty Phil Jones and a clean sheet. Everythings coming up Mourinho.

• Advertisement

Getting absolutely massacred by City at Old Trafford the way we did is a bigger deal than winning the Europa league if you can actually be bothered to think about it in a wider context.

We were done by two individual mistakes hardly massacred.

You obviously were not around for 1-6 defeat in 2011. That's a massacre.

As I said, if you think _now_ is time for despair. You've not been around long.

Last night's win saw United already equal last season's total number of league wins at Old Trafford.

And we're not even halfway through the season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I understand the frustration at how we played, but the same tactics saw us defeat arsenal away easily. The blame can't all be laid at Jose's door for the players not executing.

Also, a massacre isn't a 2-1 loss where we had good chances to nick a draw, a massacre is the 1-6 from a few years back.

I don't condone or settle for a loss at home to city, but taking into account jones, bailly and pogba not being available, it's not evidence of a downward trend, it's a one-off result.

• Last night's win saw United already equal last season's total number of league wins at Old Trafford.

I've read that this isn't an improvement.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I've read that this isn't an improvement.

I read it somewhere thats after 17 games Arsenals invincibles had 39 points and Chelsea record setting team had 40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If remaining fixtures play out this season as they did last season...

cvgco9wxou301.png

82 points and still well beaten to the title. But the problem is people see City doing so well and downplay the massive improvements we've had in the last 18 months.

I always said I'd have backed LVG or Moyes to the hilt if there were signs of progression under either. There never was, and if anything, there was constant signs of things getting worse under those two. Under Jose, there's a very clear and evident progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Last night's win saw United already equal last season's total number of league wins at Old Trafford.

Second highest scorers and joint first defensively too.

Any other year we would be top or a damn sight closer to first than 11 points, City are simply a level higher than everyone else currently or historically.

Some of the performances have been disappointing but for me at least, the good this season far outweighs the bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's all about narratives. Had City been having even just an excellent season and were sitting on 42/43 points, last nights dragged out win would have been heralded as a gritty affair that kept us in the race and the stuff of title contenders. 3 days after a tough game against their title rivals, it would have shown real substance to eke out a win.

Instead, we have chat about how **** we are and how great City are (they are excellent, not denying it).

I'll never understand the illogical support for Moyes and LVG just as i'll never understand the hatred for Mourinho based on the job he's done at United.

Was I a fan of him before he got the job ? No
    Did I respect his achievements before he got the job ? Yes
    Would I like to see better results vs the top 6 ? Yes

You can back the manager and be critical at the same time just I dont see how anyone could truly be upset about his first 18 months in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

beno619 wrote: »
    I'll never understand the illogical support for Moyes and LVG just as i'll never understand the hatred for Mourinho based on the job he's done at United.

Was I a fan of him before he got the job ? No
    Did I respect his achievements before he got the job ? Yes
    Would I like to see better results vs the top 6 ? Yes

You can back the manager and be critical at the same time just I dont see how anyone could truly be upset about his first 18 months in charge.

I genuinely believe that the biggest cause of peoples annoyance is down to how well city have started. If we were within 4 or 5 points of them then I'd be confident that there wouldn't be nearly as griping much about Jose.

Credit where it's due, they have started phenomenally well and the blip shows no signs of happening. They have gotten the extra rub of the green in a couple of games to salvage wins so using their current position as a barometer against ourselves is a bit redundant imo.

All we can do is paddle our own canoe, no sense worrying over what they will or won't do as barring the away game we have zero say in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I genuinely believe that the biggest cause of peoples annoyance is down to how well city have started. If we were within 4 or 5 points of them then I'd be confident that there wouldn't be nearly as griping much about Jose.

City are the excuse, not the cause, but there's a certain section of those complaining who just straight up don't like Jose, never wanted him at United, and will thus look for every possible excuse they can to give out about him.

If it wasn't City's points total, then they'd be looking for some other reason to call for him to be sacked tbh. If they weren't griping, it would be because they couldn't, not because they didn't want to...

We were done by two individual mistakes hardly massacred.

You obviously were not around for 1-6 defeat in 2011. That's a massacre.

As I said, if you think _now_ is time for despair. You've not been around long.

A likely response.... I've been around since the glory of the eighties mate....do you play much fantasy manager or maybe FIFA?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    City are the excuse, not the cause, but there's a certain section of those complaining who just straight up don't like Jose, never wanted him at United, and will thus look for every possible excuse they can to give out about him.

If it wasn't City's points total, then they'd be looking for some other reason to call for him to be sacked tbh. If they weren't griping, it would be because they couldn't, not because they didn't want to...

There are lots and lots of reasons for not wanting Mourinho, there is only one reason really for wanting him and that is that he pretty much guarantees trophies of one description or another in the short term...but at what cost?

Lord TSC wrote: »

That's a bit disingenuous tbh.

There has been lots of valid criticism and reasons to he critical and I'm happy about that tbh.

It's time to start looking from more from our manager and players considering how low standards had dropped under the two duds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

A likely response.... I've been around since the glory of the eighties mate....do you play much fantasy manager or maybe FIFA?

Dont even bother eric. Some people think its great to be coming second and think Europa league success and carling cup wins are a great achievement for us.
    There is nothing to celebrate or to be applauded about coming second . I wonder was Jimmy White ever happy with been second ?
    We had a chance to laay down a marker last Sunday and against Liverpool and our manager let us down by not going for either game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Robson99 wrote: »
    Dont even bother eric. Some people think its great to be coming second and think Europa league success and carling cup wins are a great achievement for us.
    There is nothing to celebrate or to be applauded about coming second . I wonder was Jimmy White ever happy with been second ?
    We had a chance to laay down a marker last Sunday and against Liverpool and our manager let us down by not going for either game

What an utterly ridiculous comparison, and you show again why people don’t take your posts serious

There are lots and lots of reasons for not wanting Mourinho, there is only one reason really for wanting him and that is that he pretty much guarantees trophies of one description or another in the short term...but at what cost?

There are very few based on the job he's done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I wouldn't even mind of they could quote of examples of where any one has said half this stuff haha.

Robson99 wrote: »

shake and bake

b45d07679de515cf1c0bcdd56f5e5223840a0d8e6283f3b5cb916bf48aac41be.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

What are you talking about Duff Cole and Robben were all great under Mourinho

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement