Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

King Erik (Nevland)
    Unbeatable Nick Culkin
    Simon 'not the guy from Spurs' Davies
    Mark 'Not Marc' Wilson
    Lee 'Not FA Cup winning' Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

John obi mikel.

Turned a good profit on him as well :)

Mal Donaghy, CB (FB sometimes).

osQt8b4.jpg?1

He was signed in October of the 1988/89 season as a 31 year old for £650,000 from Luton Town. Which is about £7bn or something in today's money.

Pops into my head the odd time because he was signed around the time Mark Hughes arrived back at the club from his European sojourn. I was only 5/6 and had just started supporting the club, Mark Hughes was my new idol. However, my young mind assumed that all 'new' players were of the quality of Mark Hughes. It took me a season or so to figure out how things really worked. No harm to Mal, he was decent in defense that season but Sparky was PFA Player of the Year and a goal machine.

Mal left United in 1992 to go to Chelsea. That wouldn't be anything to get worked up about unlike today. His playing time had reduced at United and by then he was in his mid 30s. He missed out on a Premier League medal by about 10 months. He finished 11th with Chelsea that season as United lifted the first Premier League title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

secman wrote: »
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    Robben and Duff where brilliant under mourinho

Arjen Robben claimed that it was a "relief" to leave Chelsea and said that he felt a lack of support from manager

I genuinely don't think Mourinho would sign Mahrez. As much as I would like him at the club, super player.
    Who cares what he said if he was brilliant on the pitch which he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Mal Donaghy, CB (FB sometimes).

Fecker to find his paninni sticker too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

limnam wrote: »

Them were the days :(

Whe you really think of it how we fell in love with soccer reading Match, Shoot and fourfourtwo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

jayo26 wrote: »

Whe you really think of it how we fell in love with soccer reading Match, Shoot and fourfourtwo.

Roy of the Rovers , Melchester if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I remember in one of the magazine's seeing a 2 or 3 page spread about Giggsy when he was 17 or 18 and the comparison with Best.

Many of you ever buy the monthly Manchester United magazine? Between myself and my brother we got it every month. Used to give reports from all the previous months games, interviews with past and present players and a double sided poster every month.

Simpler times.

Pro-set ftw

hEexMb4.jpg

Roy of the Rovers , Melchester if I remember correctly.

I was never into roy of the rivers stuff but the highlight of my month used to be reading choccy's diary in the Manchester United magazine.

Used to do the fantasy football in star news paper there was no transfers mid season back then you had to collect 5 front page headers to enter and post off your team at start of season and that was it.

• Advertisement

I remember in one of the magazine's seeing a 2 or 3 page spread about Giggsy when he was 17 or 18 and the comparison with Best.

Many of you ever buy the monthly Manchester United magazine? Between myself and my brother we got it every month. Used to give reports from all the previous months games, interviews with past and present players and a double sided poster every month.

Simpler times.

I remember the match stats in it were excellent for the time they used to to have all the moments of each match and then a breakdown of each player for the season I remember used to be studying it for hours.

Simpler times.

Remember it well. Sure between all that and Ceefax we were sorted.

What the fúck would life be like without the internet? :pac:

Pictures of Celtic's Chris Morris in tight shorts on a Celtic rug on the front cover

What were we thinking?

• It'll be a while before we put 4 past City again.

Are you serious?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Pretty sure he's a city fan on the windup.

There's no way he really follows united.

Are you serious?

Do we care???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Jesper Olsen anyone...
    Loved a cold night at wherever was relevant then..not..

https://goo.gl/images/YAe9JW

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

On a totally separate note, what obscure United player pops into your head from yonks ago....

I'll start it off ..... Carlo Sartori... A little ginger head guy from probably the late sixties, early seventies, never made it big, but his non Lancashire or non irish name just stuck with me all these years !

Terry Cooke

Still follow Rafael on Instagram he is one player I wish made it at United must be 27 or so now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Feeling very young tonight, haven’t a clue who half of the players you’re on about are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Are you serious?

Of course, why wouldn't I be?

Feeling very young tonight, haven’t a clue who half of the players you’re on about are!

Do you remember much of 90s football or our 99 side?

Said it before on here we have been blessed with some football memories. I'm sure Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s feel the same unreal teams too.

Think i must be the elder lemon, did anyone else even hear of Carlo Sartori ? Googled it myself, was indeed late 60' to early 70 's and he was a ginger. There was another young player in the late 80's who one and 2 assists against pool think it was 3-1 win, going to have to Google this one. Russell Beardsmore was the guy.

Think i must be the elder lemon, did anyone else even hear of Carlo Sartori ? Googled it myself, was indeed late 60' to early 70 's and he was a ginger. There was another young player in the early 80's who scored twice against pool think it was 3-1 win, going to have to Google this one.

Nah your a bit before my time mate :)

Said it before on here we have been blessed with some football memories. I'm sure Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s feel the same unreal teams too.

I hated the 70's and 80' and was delighted when SAF decided the quest was to knock pool off their fcken perch.

Remember it well. Sure between all that and Ceefax we were sorted.

What the fúck would life be like without the internet? :pac:

Page 312 for all the gossip / rumours.

Only updated twice daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

limnam wrote: »

Was in the sister's earlier on, The Chase was on in the back round, question comes up who were the maker's of these things, in my head i said paninni.. your man says??????
    Nike
    :eek::pac::eek::pac:

I was only 4 in 99, still remember giving out stink to my mam for not waking me during the CL final, 4 y/o with his priorities right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Think i must be the elder lemon, did anyone else even hear of Carlo Sartori ? Googled it myself, was indeed late 60' to early 70 's and he was a ginger. There was another young player in the late 80's who one and 2 assists against pool think it was 3-1 win, going to have to Google this one. Russell Beardsmore was the guy.
    MUTV had a god documentary on him.Born in Italy but grew up in Manchester,iirc he was the first foreigner to play for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Friday back pages:

Griezmann has been told he can leave Atletico.

Bale has an agreement to join United in the summer.

Mikhitryan wants clear the air talks about his future.
    Jose will sell him and sign Ozil.

United have once more enquired about Willian but Chelsea are reluctant to sell in January.

That's the gossip to mull over folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Friday back pages:

Griezmann has been told he can leave Atletico.

Bale has an agreement to join United in the summer.

Mikhitryan wants clear the air talks about his future.
    Jose will sell him and sign Ozil.

United have once more enquired about Willian but Chelsea are reluctant to sell in January.

That's the gossip to mull over folks.

Griezmann - Possible

Bale - Also possible

José wanting to sell Mkhitaryan to buy Ozil - bull**** paper talk, Mkhitaryan just having a rough patch

Chelsea won't sell Willian to United, not after Matic.

All just my 2 cents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

These aren't obscure but maybe just players you'd forget we had. Only reason I remember is I thought they were the next big things :pac:

Zoran Tosic -
    pretty sure I've only seen him play one game for us, but when he joined had high hopes!

Ben Amos-
    sadly thought he was the future of our goalkeeping position

Danny Pugh-
    thought he'd be the one we regret getting rid of

Ricardo-
    To be honest never thought he'd be great but always liked him, in hindsight if Carrol and Barthez are pushing you down in the pecking order it's probably a sign

David Healy-
    Do not ask me why.

Chris Eagles-
    seemed like he was with us forever without playing much

Karel Poborský- Some player he was, just didn't work out, probably because of the likes of Giggs and Beckham

Finally the one that got away...

Giuseppe Rossi-
    I know during the period Rossi was at the club many would see Pique as the one that got away but my god I though Rossi was going to be sublime. Went on to do well at Villareal but always wished we'd held onto him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Probably say same things about having Di Maria and Falcao in a few years time what a crazy time it's been since fergie left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Griezmann - Possible

Bale - Also possible

José wanting to sell Mkhitaryan to buy Ozil - bull**** paper talk, Mkhitaryan just having a rough patch

At this stage Mkhitaryan's United career has had more 'rough patches' than not.

While it could be absolute bullsh*t that Jose is looking to sell him I think calling it a rough patch is massively downplaying the situation.

He looks disposable at the moment so who knows what will happen.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Griezmann - Possible

Bale - Also possible

Mkhitarayan is a strange one. Jose signed him last summer, he played a few games, was awful in the derby and then never really played for 3 months. He is not even making the squad now. You would have to think his time at the club is already up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This isn't a rough patch for Mkhi, it's the norm. The issue is he had a good patch for a few games at the start of the season, and everyone wants THAT to be the norm. But he just isn't reliable and if we could get a chunk of cash and replace him with Ozil, I wouldn't blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Miki can have no excuses either. When he had slow patches on the right, pundits were saying he needed to be played at 10. He's been given that chance this season and didn't take it.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that Mikhis dip in form coincided with Pogs getting injured. Pogs is the kind if player that brings out the best in those around him, he creates spaces that players like Mikhi thrive in.

I'd hope he would get at least one more shot in the team with Pogs before Jose would consider selling him.

Remember before Shaw got injured, he an Memphis were developing a really good partnership on the field but his form fell off a cliff when Shaw wasn't playing.

Hell, Shaw has been written off by most of us as a marked man but the two games he has played he has given a very good account of himself so hopefully he continues thst vein of form and thst Mikhi can do the same if / when he gets a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This could very well be the case but why would Jose want to keep Mhki as a key member of the squad if he is only capable of influencing the game when Pogba is in the team?

He probably would do better when we have a full strength team but that's simply not good enough.

He wasn't even that influential during that purple patch at the start of the season. He was just incredibly clinical.

• Advertisement

I don't believe it's a coincidence that Mikhis dip in form coincided with Pogs getting injured. Pogs is the kind if player that brings out the best in those around him, he creates spaces that players like Mikhi thrive in.

I'd hope he would get at least one more shot in the team with Pogs before Jose would consider selling him.

Remember before Shaw got injured, he an Memphis were developing a really good partnership on the field but his form fell off a cliff when Shaw wasn't playing.

Hell, Shaw has been written off by most of us as a marked man but the two games he has played he has given a very good account of himself so hopefully he continues thst vein of form and thst Mikhi can do the same if / when he gets a chance.

Please don't call him Pogs lol

I was only 4 in 99, still remember giving out stink to my mam for not waking me during the CL final, 4 y/o with his priorities right :pac:

You missed imo the best midfield that has ever played in england and probably europe...

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham

What a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    You missed imo the best midfield that has ever played in england and probably europe...

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham

What a team

And the best keeper, the best striker quartet and the most consistent left back ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham

What a team

All great players but we were too Gung ho and tactically inept in the 90s and early 00s , 99 aside those players lost CL ties V Dortmund , Monaco , an average Real Madrid side and Levergusen which should not have happened . The 2008 team was much better tactically to succeed in Europe , they were just misfortunate to come up against the best club side in the history of the game.

Nalz wrote: »
    And the best keeper, the best striker quartet and the most consistent left back ever.

Barthez didn't join until the 2000s.

fabien_barthez_france.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Speaking of lesser known players and 99 Jon Greening has to be one the most random CL winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Really bad news to hear that Bailly is out for a few months and needs ankle surgery. Ankle injuries can be tough to fully recover from and hopefully it’s not similar to the Arsenal player.

Giggs
    Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham

What a team

From about 2003 on is really where I can say my earliest memories of United were, only a year or two of of Keane but by god do I remember him and Veiras battles.

Beckham is a player I really wish I saw more of in a United kit. Oh how we could do with a new no.7.

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    All great players but we were too Gung ho and tactically inept in the 90s and early 00s , 99 aside those players lost CL ties V Dortmund , Monaco , an average Real Madrid side and Levergusen which should not have happened . The 2008 team was much better tactically to succeed in Europe , they were just misfortunate to come up against the best club side in the history of the game.

Too gung ho and tactically inept? One of greatest periods. Winning a CL is tough work. 98-99 was only our second. Even you remove that treble winning season the squad from 1990-2005 were incredibly successful.

PL Titles:
    x8: 92-93, 93-94, 95-96, 99-00, 00-01, 02-03

FA Cup:
    x3:
    93-94, 95-96, 03-04

League Cup:
    x1: 91-92

Community Shield:
    x5: 93, 94, 96, 97, 03

17 trophies (minus the treble season as I said). Hardly the exploits of a tactically inept side.

And as for Europe and the matches you listed.
    -Are you referring to when we were knocked out by Dortmund, who would then go on to win the tournament?

-And the Monaco side who had just previously won the French league with Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet. Hardly a poor or average side.

-The Leverkusen side who just narrowly lost out to Madrid in the final for the CL?

-And finally an "average" Real Madrid squad in 02/03 with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul, Roberto Carlos, Casillas who were current holders of the CL at the time? Or are you referring to the one that knocked us out in the 90s 99/00 season on their way to winning the whole comp.

While most of the games you mentioned were tight and some we were unfortunate to lose on goal differences, they aren't massive defeats to average sides that suggest what you are saying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement