Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Andreas surely Pogba's understudy instead of McTominay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pjohnson wrote: »
    Andreas surely Pogba's understudy instead of McTominay?

From a Fifa 19 perspective it sounds so much cooler in commentary saying “Andreas” in midfield. McTominay is a name that sounds right for West Brom.

Drumpot wrote: »
    From a Fifa 19 perspective it sounds so much cooler in commentary saying “Andreas” in midfield. McTominay is a name that sounds right for West Brom.

He used to be Pereira but with Joel Pereira now in Senior Squads he emphasised Andreas and now wears it on his back instead. McTominay is fine for this season I just thought they meant as a long term deputy to Pogba!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whats all this Pereira as an understudy to Pogba business about? He played on the wing for Granada last season. He plays on the wing for Valencia this season, when he can get in the team. If these teams don't trust him to play CM and he's not even first choice on the wing at Valencia, he's not going to be a CM for United.

Whats all this Pereira as an understudy to Pogba business about? He played on the wing for Granada last season. He plays on the wing for Valencia this season, when he can get in the team. If these teams don't trust him to play CM and he's not even first choice on the wing at Valencia, he's not going to be a CM for United.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Jun/andreas-pereira-discusses-position-and-role-at-granada.aspx

He started as a winger at Granada but ended strongly as a starting CM for them. He was originally a #10 when he first came through here so being a winger was pretty new for him at Granada. He has proven himself versatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Remember when Herrera played as an actual playmaker with an eye for goal and the ability to pick out a pass around the edge of the box. Add that to his tenacious attitude and he seemed like the perfect fit for United's team then and now.

It's such a shame that he failed to really kick on and reach that next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Remember when Herrera played as an actual playmaker with an eye for goal and the ability to pick out a pass around the edge of the box. Add that to his tenacious attitude and he seemed like the perfect fit for United's team then and now.

It's such a shame that he failed to really kick on and reach that next level.

It baffles me how he has regressed.

On paper, on the type of player he can be, a midfield of him and Matic should be able to compensate for Pogba to some degree but when Pogba is out we just get nothing from him.

I wish we had kept hold of pereira, as i was most vocal about at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jose saying any player that's unhappy can leave if the club's valuation of them is met.
    Good to see he's abandoned the tradition of us letting too many players leave on the cheap.

Fellaini and Mkhitarayan out the door you would have to think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

bangkok wrote: »
    Fellaini and Mkhitarayan out the door you would have to think

What makes you think Fel is unhappy?

And no European team is going to meet our valuation of Fellaini when he can just sign a pre contract in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »

He wont sign a new contract. Few teams after him as well. Sell now rather than on a free in summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Shame it didn’t work out for Zaha at United. He’s consistently Palace’s best player and one of the most entertaining players in the league to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He wont sign a new contract. Few teams after him as well. Sell now rather than on a free in summer

He’s out injured till January at least supposedly.

I can't speak for bangkok. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen him mention Fellaini in here before.

My own thoughts are that Fellaini has been linked with a move away a few too many times now. Apparently he turned down a new contract at the club and his current one expires in the Summer.

In yesterday's press conference, Jose refused to talk about Fellaini and Mkhi when asked about them leaving, but did say that any player who is unhappy can leave once their price is matched, like Memphis and Morgan last year.

I do sense a departure or two in January. I worry that one could be Fellaini and wouldn't be surprised if another is Mkhitaryan.

In other news: Crystal Palace 2 up at Leicester at HT. We should be getting a few there next Saturday...should.

Shame it didn’t work out for Zaha at United. He’s consistently Palace’s best player and one of the most entertaining players in the league to watch.

He should have kept his mickey in his kaks :D

Saw a post on FB (think it was MOTD) asking to an all stars 5 a side team from anytime! So might be fun if we try doing it with just United players!

VDS
    Keane
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

None of these things means he's unhappy.

He could simply trying to negotiate the current contract offering.

Which rumor has it a newer deal was put to him for 2years.

Saw a post on FB (think it was MOTD) asking to an all stars 5 a side team from anytime! So might be fun if we try doing it with just United players!

VDS
    Keane
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    RVN

no scholes on a 5 a side team? :eek::eek::eek:

None of these things means he's unhappy.

He could simply trying to negotiate the current contract offering.

Which rumor has it a newer deal was put to him for 2years.

if he cant even wear the right size boots what hope has he got negotiating a new 2 year contract :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

VDS
    Keane
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    RVN

DeGea
    Stam
    Keane
    Scholes
    Ronaldo

my 5 a side for a laugh

de Gea
    Ferdinand
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Rooney

all in their prime..... try getting the ball off that lot!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Can't leave out Best in a five-a-side.

astradave wrote: »
    He’s out injured till January at least supposedly.

Seen that too, something about the club wanting to give him the proper time to get over his ligament injury? Just like with Ibra, huh? :pac:

Hope we haven't seen him play his last game for the club.

Thinking about where that leaves the MF over Christmas, I'm looking forward to seeing more from McTominay. However, we are getting scarce in in numbers now. Fellaini out until January, Carrick still missing.

The team needs to get Pogba back, hope to fúck that he and Matic become impervious to injury, hope that Herrera comes back from Space, hope that McTominay continues to impress. A few hopes in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

We need a proper central midfielder who can carry the ball into the opposite half of the pitch exactly like Pogba does. He is the only player playing central who does it. Matic Carrick Herrera Fellaini are all limited as they generally don’t have the athleticism or talent to carry a ball in and out of a crowd.

Its hard to find an available player to do it but it is possible. I’m gonna throw out a name and you can all shoot it down but here goes.....

Ross Barkley.

Cheap because of his contract situation but gettable in January. Not cup tied at all. Experience as a midfielder but got pushed further forward last season.

GSPfan wrote: »
    We need a proper central midfielder who can carry the ball into the opposite half of the pitch exactly like Pogba does. He is the only player playing central who does it. Matic Carrick Herrera Fellaini are all limited as they generally don’t have the athleticism or talent to carry a ball in and out of a crowd.

Its hard to find an available player to do it but it is possible. I’m gonna throw out a name and you can all shoot it down but here goes.....

Ross Barkley.

Cheap because of his contract situation but gettable in January. Not cup tied at all. Experience as a midfielder but got pushed further forward last season.

He did major damage to his hamstring
    oss-barkley-shows-of-his-scar-as-he-work-to-return-from-injury.jpg?strip=all&w=540

Take a while to get near full fitness.

• Advertisement

5 a side would be.. no need for defenders in a 5 a side with Keane there, playing the diamond formation

Schmeichal (not a hope of scoring on him in a five a side goal)
    Keane
    Cantona-Scholes
    RVN

He did major damage to his hamstring
    oss-barkley-shows-of-his-scar-as-he-work-to-return-from-injury.jpg?strip=all&w=540

Take a while to get near full fitness.

But he says not long now! :)

As a virtual free transfer he’d be worth the risk as he could deputise for Pogba for the second half of season.

The benefits for him would be the same as Lukaku in that he probably wouldn’t even have to move house. Even if he did it would leave him an hours drive back to Liverpool.

Seen that too, something about the club wanting to give him the proper time to get over his ligament injury? Just like with Ibra, huh? :pac:

Hope we haven't seen him play his last game for the club.

Thinking about where that leaves the MF over Christmas, I'm looking forward to seeing more from McTominay. However, we are getting scarce in in numbers now. Fellaini out until January, Carrick still missing.

The team needs to get Pogba back, hope to fúck that he and Matic become impervious to injury, hope that Herrera comes back from Space, hope that McTominay continues to impress. A few hopes in there.

It’s the hope that kills ya :(

GSPfan wrote: »
    But he says not long now! :)

As a virtual free transfer he’d be worth the risk as he could deputise for Pogba for the second half of season.

The benefits for him would be the same as Lukaku in that he probably wouldn’t even have to move house. Even if he did it would leave him an hours drive back to Liverpool.

Well if you want him for free it's a pre contract job and he'll arrive in summer (or would Everton be due some kind of compensation due to his age?) No way a 24 year old England International moves for under 20m transfer fee.

Would anyone have any interest in Wilshire?

Not sure if I still hold some bias towards him based on how good I thought he looked when he first hit the scene but I'd be curious to see if he can resurrect his career elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Not sure if I still hold some bias towards him based on how good I thought he looked when he first hit the scene but I'd be curious to see if he can resurrect his career elsewhere.

He is one I wouldn't mind seeing tbh but i'm not sure in what capacity at the club. I think he was class when he came on the scene but never quite lived up to his potential yet. If he did he would turn into a great signing imo, but his injury record is terrible I think so it would be a gamble. Deffo someone we could take on a free in the summer to supplement the squad when he is fit and keep the homegrown numbers up.

5 a side would be.. no need for defenders in a 5 a side with Keane there, playing the diamond formation

Keane
    Cantona-Scholes
    RVN

cantona ahead of Ronaldo?? go home astradave ur drunk :D

cantona ahead of Ronaldo?? go home astradave ur drunk :D

Meh the Astro pitch is tiny, wouldn’t get the full benefit of Ronaldo, anyways I’ve no wide men, it would be RVN instead of Ronaldo ;)

My 'All Star in another dimension' team, mixing in the obscure theme from earlier in the week...

Mark Bosnich
    Mal Donaghy
    Carlos Santori
    Jesper Olsen
    Bebe

They would whip any team in the games I play.

Meh the Astro pitch is tiny, wouldn’t get the full benefit of Ronaldo, anyways I’ve no wide men, it would be RVN instead of Ronaldo ;)

better touch, better finisher, better skill, 2 footed, quicker, he would be the ultimate nightmare trying to mark in a 5 side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

A team of number 7s no keeper cause they wouldnt lose the ball
    Robson
    Beckham Best
    Cantona
    Ronaldo

Keane
    Cantona-Scholes
    RVN

I'd consider Keane, but between all the chopping of the opposition and the bollocking of his team-mates, everyone would be like "Jaysis this is supposed to be fun, I'm away home and someone else can pay my fiver."

better touch, better finisher, better skill, 2 footed, quicker, he would be the ultimate nightmare trying to mark in a 5 side

Opinions are great eh, maybe respect others and stop trying to force yours on people

Well if you want him for free it's a pre contract job and he'll arrive in summer (or would Everton be due some kind of compensation due to his age?) No way a 24 year old England International moves for under 20m transfer fee.

When I say virtual free transfer I mean getting him for next to nothing in January. If his mind is made up to join us in the Summer then Everton will let him go for a reasonable fee in January. Id say less than £10 million for a guy coming back from a serious hamstring injury and may not play for Everton again is a good deal for both. If Barkley signs a pre contract with anyone in January I’d wager he never plays a game for Everton again from that day on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

With potentially Fellani and Miki leaving, Carrick still injured and approaching retirement anyway, and Herrera muck at the moment, midfield definitely needs addressing. If only one incoming, needs to be first XI quality not a up an coming player ( though both would be required, Dendonker as understudy to Matic?). We can't allow the midfield to turn back to the omnishambles it had been for the previous decade up to last season, and still isn't exceptional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wouldn't get much for him. He'll be more use to United til the summer than a relatively small amount of cash would be.

I'd change my tune if he agrees a new contract elsewhere - in that case I'd try sell him to the club buying him, but until he commits himself elsewhere I'd reckon he would still be a good squad player.

I wouldn’t be against the idea for his ability but I would be against it as he’d be injured permanently and just clog up a position in the squad in a position we need options in.
    He seems to me like someone who will never regain his best form because he can’t stay injury free. He’d be the Phil Jones of our midfield.

Ozil with a cracker of a volley today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You can't sign pre contracts for other English clubs. Only a foreign team can't negotiate with him in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

pjohnson wrote:

Jennifer Lawrence
    Scarlett Johansson
    Anna Kendrick
    Rachel Riley
    Hayley McQueen

Cmon folks this was agreed long ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Michael Oliver with another shítshow today. How that clown gets the big games all the time blows my mind.

How the hell is this a straight red?

https://imgtc.com/w/lzD2fj1

Opinions are great eh, maybe respect others and stop trying to force yours on people

meh, its not much of an opinion more so a fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

J. Marston wrote:
    Michael Oliver with another shítshow today. How that clown gets the big games all the time blows my mind.

How the hell is this a straight red?

Straight red all day
    Through the back of the player
    It's reckless at best and abysmally terrible at worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

brinty wrote: »
    Straight red all day
    Through the back of the player
    It's reckless at best and abysmally terrible at worst

Bull fúcking shít. At worst, it's slightly clumsy.

And more nonsense from him, apparently this is worthy of a second yellow...

https://streamable.com/qso5y

Christ, he is awful.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Bull fúcking shít. At worst, it's slightly clumsy.

And more nonsense from him, apparently this is worthy of a second yellow...

https://streamable.com/qso5y

Christ, he is awful.

he was on a yellow, lucky to not get a yellow just before that challenge, then he misses the ball and kicks a player. its a clear yellow even if he didnt mean it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement