Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Have a huge lead.. but a lot can happen in the next 5 months.. Newcastle were miles ahead in 95/96 and were reeled in. We were miles ahead in 97/98 and lost out to Arsenal.. A couple of injuries and a loss of form could change things..

It’s extremely unlikely because you are also asking for united to pretty much win the majority of their remaining 20 games with City, spurs, Liverpool , Chelsea and Arsenal on that list.

2nd spot is a realistic target and I think we should just focus on what we can do. We can’t affect city so we might aswell look to solidify 2nd before the champions league starts back up. If City slip up, great , but that can’t be in Uniteds plans or expectations.

United have Chelsea and Liverpool around the Seville game. Depending how close they are to City may very well see changes made in those games that’s about protecting and preparing players for Seville.

It’s jusy hyperbolic sound bites to say “united can’t concede the league in February”. If they are double digits behind city with only 14 or so games left then I think , as unpalatable as it sounds, they would be better off targeting and prioritizing the champions league like they did with Europa last season.

I think, thus far, this season has shown that united have moved up a level. Any other season and they are in the mix for the league. You have to take your hat off to city who are shattering records. But I think the squad is only a couple of night signings from being a proper challenger to City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Have a huge lead.. but a lot can happen in the next 5 months.. Newcastle were miles ahead in 95/96 and were reeled in. We were miles ahead in 97/98 and lost out to Arsenal.. A couple of injuries and a loss of form could change things..

Loss of form and they are still miles better than most teams. I think they will break the 100 point mark in the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think the comparison of Pogba to gundogan and Herrera to KDB is wrong. If Herrera is part of the comp then it would be the other way around and it would be vundogan over Herrera. KDB vs Pogba would be the debate and I reckon neutrals would go for KDB.

In terms of attacking potency, I feel the major difference is Jose vs pep rather than player vs player.

I agree Mitch. I was just saying that in a combined team we would have as many players in the team as city. You could still have a middle of the park 3 of Matic Pogba and KDB.
    The difference is Guardiola

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If Shaw can't get himself sorted by the summer I would like us to forget about Rose and sign Tierney from Celtic.

All be it in Scotland but whenever I have seen him play I have been impressed.

He wouldn't command the Levy fee either.

Also, would like to sign Ozil in January, would be an instant upgrade on Mata/Mhki and along with Pogba would provide great service for Lukaku imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Robson99 wrote: »
    I agree Mitch. I was just saying that in a combined team we would have as many players in the team as city. You could still have a middle of the park 3 of Matic Pogba and KDB.
    The difference is Guardiola

Pep inherited a better squad and getsbevery player he demands. Perisic was another Jose target. Jose has had to make more changes to move united from on average 5th to 2nd with no better a budget then Pep.

Pep was not exceptional at Bayern so not having a blank chequebook does even out the odds. I am not saying Pep is not a superb coach but it’s not simply “all Pep”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Not sure where I’ll watch the match lads... turned on sky and the Scottish football is on... anyone have any recommendations on a channel to watch the build up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not sure where I’ll watch the match lads... turned on sky and the Scottish football is on... anyone have any recommendations on a channel to watch the build up on?

MUTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sky sports premier league has the build up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Robson99 wrote: »
    Good point. I would even have Martial in a front 3 ahead of sterling.
    I dont think this is an amazing city team. We have the players to match them. They just playing far better as a team

I’d have Rashford in my team ahead of Sterling every day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bein sports 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mata gets a start today as well as Rashford. No Martial.

Jones and Smalling together at the back.

• Souness with the usual soundbites
    Biggest spoofer on Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Looking at that City team, they don't even have an outrageous 11 or anything.

De Gea over Ederson
    Young/Shaw over Delph
    Jones over Mangala
    Bailly over Otamendi
    Valencia equal to Walker

Matic over Fernandino
    Pogba over Gundongan
    De Bruyne over Herrera

Sterling marginally over Rashford
    Martial just behind Sane
    Aguero much better than Lukaku

So, you take our best 11 with no injuries, and take the City one with injuries to compare?

Whatever about the defenders where we are better (although Mendy goes in at LB), City take all 6 spots in attack over us (Pogba has a chance of going in, but that's David Silva and KDB not Gundogan), and it's not even close in the positions. They're backups are equal or better than what we have starting in some areas in attack.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bein sports 11

Have it! Sorted thanks good to see Andy Grey and Richard Keys again

Have it! Sorted thanks good to see Andy Grey and Richard Keys again

Proper football talk.

Proper football talk.

Mcateer holding no punches laying into Liverpool players for been soft! I could get used to this channel :D

• Advertisement

Mcateer holding no punches laying into Liverpool players for been soft! I could get used to this channel :D

Total different attitude to sky in my opinion .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Funny how they change their tone and opinions when not on British TV. Souness openly admits to it when talking about doing punditry on Irish TV.
    All too pally pally on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Total different attitude to sky in my opinion .

Well when sky pick a Gallagher as a pundit what do you expect? Sky a clickbait joke recently.

Even Pulis having a pop off the FA for fining managers etc!! It’s like a breath of fresh air been honest

I liked him talking about interviews in the tunnel been straight out and honest say I manager's don't want to do it and they prepare the answers before hand.

It's no surprise we all know it already but the interviews and the way they are fined for saying the wrong thing but if they don't do them they get fined too.

Proper football talk.

I went a bit further East for my coverage,the lads on Bein seem to have a stutter on my TV. Was just treated to a highlight reel of Martials goals.

• Advertisement

I went a bit further East for my coverage,the lads on Bein seem to have a stutter on my TV. Was just treated to a highlight reel of Martials goals.

It's grand now again.

I didn't actually realise how good our home form was this season untill after the city game the copy was well and truly blighted but nice to see us being very strong at home again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Crazy that 7 of 11 players starting were at the club under Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Herrera is in shocking form

Crazy that 7 of 11 players starting were at the club under Fergie.

Just goes to show how much money was wasted and also that none of them are lvg signings. I know Herrera came in his first summer but he was lined up and wanted by moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Herrera is in shocking form

He has misplaced so many passes already. It's mind boggling how badly he has regressed this season.

• Valencia and his service
    Non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Good man Rom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What's with the non-celebration for his last two goals?

• J. Marston wrote: »

Because his own fans keep calling him a donkey

I've been a critic of Lukaku but he is immense in the box especially under a cross.

J. Marston wrote: »

Does a postman celebrate when he scores a goal in a 5 a side?

• I've been a critic of Lukaku but he is immense in the box especially under a cross.

Service has been questionable the last few weeks
    But he still is a workhorse but takes some amount of ****e from rivals and even our own fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Because his own fans keep calling him a donkey

Didn't know he read Boards.

Must be a sensitive soul, like some others.

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't know he read Boards.

Must be a sensitive soul, like some others.

Not just here, all over twitter
    I find it pathetic tbh

• Advertisement

Service has been questionable the last few weeks
    But he still is a workhorse but takes some amount of ****e from rivals and even our own fans

I still think he is quite poor at what he is asked to do in big games though and one of the things is balls up to him outside the box which he can't deal with, but in terms of getting in position and using his strength in the box and heading ability there isn't anyone better in the premier league. Which is strange imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jesse on a fine run of form.

I've been a critic of Lukaku but he is immense in the box especially under a cross.

Nearly as if the big issue he's facing is a lack of quality service.

Put Lukaku into a team with some genuine creative forces and he'd have double the goals right now...

Would love to put five or six past them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This ref is giving them absolutely everything. Amazing how little we get in games like this.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nearly as if the big issue he's facing is a lack of quality service.

Put Lukaku into a team with some genuine creative forces and he'd have double the goals right now...

In terms of chances being in created for him yes, but at the risk of repeating myself the job he is asked to do in the big games he isn't very good at. Now weather thats his fault or Joses is another debate I guess but he shouldn't be beyond criticism when he is doing things poorly

Marcus Rashford has had a hand in 16 goals in 27 games in all competitions for @ManUtd this season (9 goals, 7 assists); one more than he did in 53 games last term (11 goals, 4 assists). Rising.

• In terms of chances being in created for him yes, but at the risk of repeating myself the job he is asked to do in the big games he isn't very good at. Now weather thats his fault or Joses is another debate I guess but he shouldn't be beyond criticism when he is doing things poorly

I'd argue again, no Pogba and poor service the contributing factors to that
    One decent cross today from Rashford and he buried it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Marcus Rashford has had a hand in 16 goals in 27 games in all competitions for @ManUtd this season (9 goals, 7 assists); one more than he did in 53 games last term (11 goals, 4 assists). Rising.

And i think he still has so much potential to reach which is why hes so promising

• Advertisement

Valencia and his service
    Non existent

Imagine if he was a waiter,the customers would starve after seeing the food leave the kitchen,get to the edge of the dining area then go back into the kitchen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement