Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd argue again, no Pogba and poor service the contributing factors to that
    One decent cross today from Rashford and he buried it

He has missed 4 or 5 sitters this season too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I adore watching Matic on the ball

• He has missed 4 or 5 sitters this season too.

So? What striker doesn't
    So did Kane
    So did Ibra
    So did Augero
    So did Solah

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    I adore watching Matic on the ball

Puts Herrera to shame
    Would love if we invested in a similar player to him in January

I'd argue again, no Pogba and poor service the contributing factors to that
    One decent cross today from Rashford and he buried it

His criticism for me isn't him missing chances being created for him, as ye have said he isn't getting many. Even if you arent getting many chances you can still affect the game in other ways and he has been poor at them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He has missed 4 or 5 sitters this season too.

They all do. Your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

titan18 wrote: »
    So, you take our best 11 with no injuries, and take the City one with injuries to compare?

Whatever about the defenders where we are better (although Mendy goes in at LB), City take all 6 spots in attack over us (Pogba has a chance of going in, but that's David Silva and KDB not Gundogan), and it's not even close in the positions. They're backups are equal or better than what we have starting in some areas in attack.

Is Pogba not out for us too? Anyway I was comparing their starting 11 yesterday.

Matic has been excellent today again. What a player he's been this year but today it's almost like start if the season Matic taking men on and driving the team forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So how long will Lukaku and Jose be sulking for I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probably Lingard's ugliest goal.

• Advertisement

Last time Matic lost the ball was '99.

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Probably Lingard's ugliest goal.

He's having a great turn to his season so far
    Happy for him and Utd are seeing the benifits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Don't think there has been much between Matic and Herrera today.

beno619 wrote: »
    Don't think there has been much between Matic and Herrera today.

I just don't know how to reply to this.

So? What striker doesn't
    So did Kane
    So did Ibra
    So did Augero
    So did Solah
    Jayop wrote: »
    They all do. Your point is?

My point is it isn't just a matter of Pogba's absence or lack of proper service. There have been many times where his finishing or general play has been quite poor and he has deserved criticism for it.

My point is it isn't just a matter of Pogba's absence or lack of proper service. There have been many times where his finishing or general play has been quite poor and he has deserved criticism for it.

He missed a few good chances. Every striker on world football does so. It's not a secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nice to see Lukaku get another goal before his mooted move in January. :p

Matic just wants to be on the ball so much and unlike possibly any other player in the squad, can’t dictate a game like this or force the team to step up when they are looking lethargic, like the first 20-25 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »
    What's with the non-celebration for his last two goals?

Bit silly if you ask me. He is making a big issue out of a small bit of critism.

When you cost 75m and play for man utd you have to expect a bit of critism. Hes not playing for everton anymore

Would love another couple this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

but that isn't what you said.

You didn't talk about his hold up play, his link up play, the creativity of his passing or his workrate. You simply pointed to him missing sitters - which every player will do at times.

In fact, missing sitters is a completely seperte discussion from workrate/link play etc. He could have been linking play and creating brilliantly while missing sitters (as Rashford did a bit last season).

• Advertisement

Personally couldn’t give a **** whether he celebrates or not. It’s the scoring I want.

bangkok wrote: »
    Bit silly if you ask me. He is making a big issue out of a small bit of critism.

When you cost 75m and play for man utd you have to expect a bit of critism. Hes not playing for everton anymore

i don't even know what feckin criticism that is being moaned about. the first mention Jose made of it I don't think there had been any real vocal complaints about lukaku. Its only in the last couple of weeks that his form has become a vocalised issue imo. Which is after there was a whinge about it.

Anyway... at least he is getting back on a scoring run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He seemed to be fairly bothered when he was getting stick off Everton fans earlier this year as well. Seems a bit more sensitive, which probably explains his confidence issues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Does he celebrate against West Brom, i dont think he does

The point isn’t that if he gets the service he will score every chance(every striker missies chances so you are kind of stating the obvious) the point is he is more likely to do his thing and score with quality service to him and is more likely to get that with Pogba playing.

Never seen that without both getting booked. Like I said giving them everything.

adox wrote: »
    Personally couldn’t give a **** whether he celebrates or not. It’s the scoring I want.

there is more to it, imo.

I don't care that Martial doesn't smile much on the pitch, he never really has so it seems that is just his character on the pitch.

If you haver a player that does generally celebrate enthusiastically - and then stops doing so - it can point to a player not being happy or comfortable in his situation; and if a player isn't happy or comfortable it can have a big impact on their performances (confidence, composure)

but that isn't what you said.

You didn't talk about his hold up play, his link up play, the creativity of his passing or his workrate. You simply pointed to him missing sitters - which every player will do at times.

In fact, missing sitters is a completely seperte discussion from workrate/link play etc. He could have been linking play and creating brilliantly while missing sitters (as Rashford did a bit last season).

Neither did the comment I responded to. Mick's post, plus his one before it, and another by LordTSC made reference to the quality of service Lukaku was getting so I replied in that context. Mick said Lukaku buried the one good chance he got today, I just pointed out that he has gotten good chances before and missed them and therefore some of the criticism he has been getting recently is deserved.

I've posted before about other aspects of his game in the past.

Missed a bit there.

What's with the mad booing of Rashford?

• Advertisement

Be great to have Pogba back next week.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Missed a bit there.

He had the audacity to being annoyed at being pulled and dragged out of all day. Got a yellow for his troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Missed a bit there.

Was agrieved at Hegazi holding him off with his arm, remonstrated with him when he got up off the ground and got booked.

The point isn’t that if he gets the service he will score every chance(every striker missies chances so you are kind of stating the obvious) the point is he is more likely to do his thing and score with quality service to him and is more likely to get that with Pogba playing.

its a big reason I think United need a genuine winger in the squad. We don't have one and a player that can off that balance to the squad and offer more natural wing play and delivery into the box would be most welcome addition. United squad is still unbalanced imo, despite all the money spent. Too many players want to come inside at shoot or pass, not enough willing/able to beat a man outside and cross quickly/accurately.

Missed a bit there.

Made a meal of a challenge with the CB and then when chasing after the CB and got booked for it.

Great break. Deserved a goal. Rashford fouled again on the run.

• Advertisement

He had the audacity to being annoyed at being pulled and dragged out of all day. Got a yellow for his troubles.

Feigned injury and then went chasing after the player. He was a bit silly.

****ing mental that he pulls him back and not booked him. Total joke shop ref.

Feigned injury and then went chasing after the player. He was a bit silly.

Been fouled all day. Again there now and amazingly no card despite having seen it. No wonder he's trying to earn some protection.

there is more to it, imo.

I don't care that Martial doesn't smile much on the pitch, he never really has so it seems that is just his character on the pitch.

If you haver a player that does generally celebrate enthusiastically - and then stops doing so - it can point to a player not being happy or comfortable in his situation; and if a player isn't happy or comfortable it can have a big impact on their performances (confidence, composure)

You may be right but I don’t read too much into it. His “celebrations” of late, fore the last two goals have been to stand still and put his arms out without smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bollox. Valencia's hammy is gone

• Advertisement

Been fouled all day. Again there now and amazingly no card despite having seen it. No wonder he's trying to earn some protection.

That besides the point. He feigned injury, told the ref he had been elbowed(when he clearly hadn’t) and then went chasing after the player. Of course he’s going to be booked for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Bollocks.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Bollox. Valencia's hammy is gone

It’s a shame but he’s been hugely underwhelming again today.

Don’t agree with Neville either. A RB does need to be signed.

That besides the point. He feigned injury, told the ref he had been elbowed(when he clearly hadn’t) and then went chasing after the player. Of course he’s going to be booked for that.

He got an arm in the face. He clearly did. Maybe he exaggerated how sore it was but it happened.

Higazi stuck the head in and would have been booked too had the ref not decided before the game that they can do what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Valencia probably gone for all the Christmas games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2683918-epl-table-2016-week-18-standings-after-tuesdays-premier-league-scores.amp.html

This time last season united would be 5 points off the top with better goal difference. United had 8 less points at that stage.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2683918-epl-table-2016-week-18-standings-after-tuesdays-premier-league-scores.amp.html

2015 united would be three points clear with vastly superior goal difference. United had 12 less points at that stage.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2311065-epl-table-latest-week-18-results-scores-and-2014-premier-league-standings.amp.html

2014 United would be 4 points off lead and better goal difference. United had 6 less points then they have know.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1897198-premier-league-table-2013-14-week-18-updated-standings-following-matchday-17.amp.html

2014 united would be 6 points clear and vastly superior goal difference.

I would hazard a reasonable guess that any of the last 4 champions would struggle to get anything from this City team. If we looked at the performance I’d english teams in Europe during the 4 years , it suggests that the quality of teams in England this season is as high as it’s been in sometime.!This data also suggests that there is a clear upward trend under Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I just don't know how to reply to this.

Meh. The midfield has a bit of balance today. Both of them working well Herrera is sitting back and playing it simple allowing Matic to get on the ball.

Best performances from our midfield in a long time in terms of controlling the ball.

if he is out for a while (hammy) I wonder if that could change January plans. I think we may have gone for a left back if possible, and I think Jose may have looked at a right back in the summer - being happy enough with Valencia up til then.

If Valencia is out for a while (and he may not be) it could swap the full back priorities.

Hahah, that's laugahable that the ref didn't give that free.

He got an arm in the face. He clearly did. Maybe he exaggerated how sore it was but it happened.

Higazi stuck the head in and would have been booked too had the ref not decided before the game that they can do what they want.

Meh that’s not how I saw it. The ref hasn’t favoured either team today ass you are saying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement