Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s a very dangerous attitude to have that City will come back to our level, we should be striving to be as good as City are now for next season and not leave anything to chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Woodward seems to be getting off lightly, debatable whether another in his job would have done better, but really he hasn’t built a team capable of winning a major trophy despite spending a fortune. Better decisions need to be made.
    I've been probably his biggest critic on here - but he isn't a General Manager like in American Football.

The players signed and team built has been as the result of the managers under him, for the most part.

You can criticise him for missing out on players - plenty of talk of fluffed lines with regards to transfers, especially under Moyes and LVG, but he didn't pick the players that were signed, he signed the players his manager asked of him (maybe they were second or third on a list).

Jose apparently wanted a left and right full back in the summer - but we already spent on Matic, Lukaku, Lindelof - according to the rumours the Glazers wouldn't budget the money required on top of those signings to get full backs at the level needed, so Jose has sat tight and will likely try get them over the next two windows. I personally see fullback as a big problem in the side (and a winger, which woodward failed to get in Peresic) but if the Glazers won't release the budget, and the manager prioritises other positions, that isn't a specific Woodward failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It’s a very dangerous attitude to have that City will come back to our level, we should be striving to be as good as City are now for next season and not leave anything to chance.

Totally agree but you would have to think that Jose won't be happy to be second place to pep.

People can moan and complain about him all they want but ghe man doesnt like losing and ge wont want to be where they are now.

That's fair enough and I can completely understand where you are coming from however as I said in my last post, context is everything.

Jose took over a squad that was devoid of confidence with an awful lot of dross in it.

Pep took over the best squad in the league and has spent nearly half a billion Euro.

Obviously Jose has spent alot too .

It might be a surprise, but there is only 10% differences in the amount spent on the squads.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf expecting 18/18 wins to show improvement is a bit unrealistic. That would be what we needed to better City. I still think they have been somewhat forunate with injuries. Pep has done great in defence and the attack is mostly interchangable but I do wonder how City would cope if say De Bruyne or especially Fernandinho would to be ruled out for a month. That is probably the only real weakness they have the depth of that central midfield area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf expecting 18/18 wins to show improvement is a bit unrealistic. That would be what we needed to better City. I still think they have been somewhat forunate with injuries. Pep has done great in defence and the attack is mostly interchangable but I do wonder how City would cope if say De Bruyne or especially Fernandinho would to be ruled out for a month. That is probably the only real weakness they have the depth of that central midfield area.

Very lucky with injuries is correct!! How lucky they have been to only have had Aguero out for a month due to a car crash, Kompany not going more than 2 weeks all year without an injury, John Stones out for 6 weeks with a hamstring & their first choice left back out for the season with a cruciate. They are absolutely cursed with good luck. That’s a fact. I’m glad you’ve spotted it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It might be a surprise, but there is only 10% differences in the amount spent on the squads.................

Money spent does not equal quality. Someone listed the players signed under Moyes and LVG a few pages back and the majority were over priced flops and 4 have already been moved on.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Very lucky with injuries is correct!! How lucky they have been to owning had Aguero out for a month due to a car crash, Kompany not going more than 2 weeks all year without an injury, John Stones out for 6 weeks with a hamstring & their first choice left back out for the season with a crucial. They are absolutely oozes with luck. That’s a fact. I’m glad you’ve spotted it.

Well this isn't good for reading comprehension you didn't spot most of my post......I clearly said Pep has done good with defence (thereby acknowlegding the injuries to Stones, Kompany, Mendy forcing him to keep roatating that you didn't seem to notice) and the attack is interchangeble (switching comfortably between Sane/Sterling/Agüero/Jesus)

I also at the end mentioned central midfield specifically where DeBruyne has started 18 times, Fernandinho 17 + 1 sub, and David Silva 16 + 1 sub....this weekend was the first time one of that trio (David Silva) missed a league game........

Want to fish for another "witty" response or just dissapear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very lucky with injuries is correct!! How lucky they have been to only have had Aguero out for a month due to a car crash, Kompany not going more than 2 weeks all year without an injury, John Stones out for 6 weeks with a hamstring & their first choice left back out for the season with a cruciate. They are absolutely cursed with good luck. That’s a fact. I’m glad you’ve spotted it.

Aguero missed grand total of 1 game because of injury. Next game he was on the bench.

Your crappy rant on City thread was better than your attempt at sarcasm here.

Well this isn't good for reading comprehension......I clearly said Pep has done good with defence (thereby acknowlegding the injuries to Stones, Kompany, Mendy that you didn't seem to notice) and the attack is interchangeble (switching comfortably between Sane/Sterling/Agüero/Jesus)

I also at the end mentioned central midfield specifically where DeBruyne has started 18 times, Fernandinho 17 + 1 sub, and David Silva 16 + 1 sub....this weekend was the first time one of that trio (David Silva) missed a league game........

Absolute cod wallop. If you took time out to sign there appearances this year why didn’t you check from last year? KDB 36 league appearances Silva 34 league appearances & Fernandiho 32 league appearances so if you were on about the midfield specifically then you’d realise it’s not look in centre midfield with no injuries, these 3 players are consistent.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Aguero missed grand total of 1 game because of injury. Next game he was on the bench.

Your crappy rant on City thread was better than your attempt at sarcasm here.

Crappy rant? Quoting facts? Unlike you, he missed 2 games, he was out for 17 days & it would of been 3 only for the international break

Well this isn't good for reading comprehension......I clearly said Pep has done good with defence (thereby acknowlegding the injuries to Stones, Kompany, Mendy that you didn't seem to notice) and the attack is interchangeble (switching comfortably between Sane/Sterling/Agüero/Jesus)

Absolute cod wallop. If you took time out to sign there appearances this year why didn’t you check from last year? KDB 36 league appearances Silva 34 league appearances & Fernandiho 32 league appearances so if you were on about the midfield specifically then you’d realise it’s not look in centre midfield with no injuries, these 3 players are consistent.

Oh you went for the rant option. OK then.

What "cod wallop" is this? You think because they didn't get injured last year they are "consistent" so that makes them somehow immune from injury this year? Benjamin Mendy played 32 matches for Monaco last year and he still got crocked this year. Any player can have an accident or be subject to a bad tackle. Theres always generally (bad) luck involved with injuries. Your midfield trio has been lucky not to be injured. Is this really a confusing sentence?

Oh you went for the rant option. OK then.

What "cod wallop" is this? You think because they didn't get injured last year they are "consistent" so that makes them somehow immune from injury this year? Benjamin Mendy played 32 matches for Monaco last year and he still got crocked this year. Any player can have an accident or be subject to a bad tackle. Theres always generally (bad) luck involved with injuries. Your midfield trio has been lucky not to be injured. Is this really a confusing sentence?

Rant? 😂 what is wrong with you? How can you say they ‘have been lucky’ not to get injured? How have they been lucky? Where has the luck come from? Bar Dele Ali’s tackle on KDB fair enough!!

How ‘lucky’ have United been that De Gea hasn’t got an injury? How many points would United be behind then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

must do bit of research later about where we stand any other season on same games played

City just blowing everyone awayou with you got to appreciate but we are doing much better results wise this srason

must do bit of research later about where we stand any other season on same games played

City just blowing everyone awayou with you got to appreciate but we are doing much better results wise this srason

Someone did that yesterday.

Some seasons we'd have been well clear,some seasons we'd just have been much closer to the top.

Rant? 😂 what is wrong with you? How can you say they ‘have been lucky’ not to get injured? How have they been lucky? Where has the luck come from? Bar Dele Ali’s tackle on KDB fair enough!!

How ‘lucky’ have United been that De Gea hasn’t got an injury? How many points would United be behind then?

Because injuries tend to happen ffs. Look at your own players Mendy, Stones, Aguero have all been injured. Why cant you seem to accept injuries happen. You have had injuries all over the squad except for that midfield trio.

Of course we have been lucky De Gea hasn't been injured. Stokes Jack Butland broke his finger on England duty so goalkeepers aren't immune from injury.

Solskjaer wasn't even tackled when his knee buckled on us. Eduardo of Arsenal had his leg broke by Martin Taylor in a stroke of bad luck.

This whole thing happened because you misread my post. This is boring.

Crappy rant? Quoting facts? Unlike you, he missed 2 games, he was out for 17 days & it would of been 3 only for the international break

Which 2 games did he miss?

9/26 - Shakhtar (H) he played
    9/30 - Chelsea (A) - He was out injured
    10/14 - Stoke - He was on the bench
    10/17 - Napoli - he was on the bench

IN 18 league games, he played 13, 4 on the bench, 1 injured.

What facts again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Comes in quoting “facts”.. gets facts wrong...

nPiXOV.gif

Because injuries tend to happen ffs. Look at your own players Mendy, Stones, Aguero have all been injured. Why cant you seem to accept injuries happen. You have had injuries all over the squad except for that midfield trio.

Of course we have been lucky De Gea hasn't been injured. Stokes Jack Butland broke his finger on England duty so goalkeepers aren't immune from injury.

Solskjaer wasn't even tackled when his knee buckled on us. Eduardo of Arsenal had his leg broke by Martin Taylor in a stroke of bad luck.

This whole thing happened because you misread my post. This is boring.

That’s my whole point!! They’ve had more than there share of injuries & here you are saying they’ve been relatively lucky & almost wishing it on on their midfielders. It’s pitiful reading. Each to there own. It’s only my opinion & it’s only yours.

• Advertisement

That’s my whole point!! They’ve had more than there share of injuries & here you are saying they’ve been relatively lucky & almost wishing it on on their midfielders. It’s pitiful reading. Each to there own. It’s only my opinion & it’s only yours.

What a pity that online poster wished for a injury, but I don't give a damn where the money is coming for City as long as my team is winning and my internet moral high ground is damn high.

What a pity that online poster wished for a injury, but I don't give a damn where the money is coming for City as long as my team is winning and my internet moral high ground is damn high.

You’ve issues man. Seriously. It’s a game of football.

You’ve issues man. Seriously. It’s a game of football.

Yeah I have issues :rolleyes:

Btw which 2 games did Aguero miss, support the facts.

astradave wrote: »
    Comes in quoting “facts”.. gets facts wrong...

nPiXOV.gif

The fact that he stayed the full 90mins on the first game he togged out in back was a 7-2 home win, that tells me everything I need to know that he wasn’t fit. He only started training 2 days before it.

Nice gif though!

Yeah I have issues :rolleyes:

Btw which 2 games did Aguero miss, support the facts.

He stayed the full 90mins of his first game back named in the squad on the bench in a 7-2 win against Stoke. He went back training 2 before it. Tells me all I need know.

Am I f*ck wishing it on them. My whole comment was based around a comment that City have had a bitta luck that none of those 3 midfielders have been injured.

Then you woefully miscomprehended and went off spouting about Kompany/Stones/Agüero injuries. This despite the fact I had admitted Pep had managed the defensive and offensive injuries he has had.

• Advertisement

He stayed the full 90mins of his first game back named in the squad on the bench in a 7-2 win against Stoke. He went back training 2 before it. Tells me all I need know.

That you were wrong? If player isn't fit, he won't be on the bench. Keep digging.

That you were wrong? If player isn't fit, he won't be on the bench. Keep digging.

He did say the United thread was comical. Didn't know he planned on taking center stage.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-vs-stoke-live-13761338.amp

Manchester evening news clearly stays that Aguero ‘isn’t quite ready to lead the line’ but hey, you know everything so guess this is wrong too.

He did say the United thread was comical. Didn't know he planned on taking center stage.

He is Nostradamus.

The fact that he stayed the full 90mins on the first game he togged out in back was a 7-2 home win, that tells me everything I need to know that he wasn’t fit. He only started training 2 days before it.

Nice gif though!

Here’s another just for this post :D

yhKdUVE.gif

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-vs-stoke-live-13761338.amp

Manchester evening news clearly stays that Aguero ‘isn’t quite ready to lead the line’ but hey, you know everything so guess this is wrong too.

He was fit enough to be on the bench. Which dumb coach will put an injured player who can't even play on the bench? Aguero wasn't needed as City won comfortably. If he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Btw, Manchestereveningnews? lol.

Bloody hell. Tell me this, have you seen Mendy on the City bench recently by any chance?

If Aguero was as injured as you claim it would probably have been Diaz or Zinchenko on ye're bench instead. He just wasnt 100% fit (or at least he wasn't fitter than Jesus) but he obviously was capable of playing or else Pep wouldn't have named a crocked player on his bench and left himself with 6/7 subs.

How stupid do you think your own manager is?

He was fit enough to be on the bench. Which dumb coach will put an injured player who can't even play on the bench? Aguero wasn't needed as City won comfortably. If he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Btw, Manchestereveningnews? lol.

Sure as I said you know all my man.

Is there a preference of which Newspaper you would like me to post?

Is there a preference of which Newspaper you would like me to post?

Line up with Aguero not on the bench would be fine.

Bloody hell. Tell me this, have you seen Mendy on the City bench recently by any chance?

If Aguero was as injured as you claim it would probably have been Diaz or Zinchenko on ye're bench instead. He just wasnt 100% fit (or at least he wasn't fitter than Jesus) but he obviously was capable of playing or else Pep wouldn't have named a crocked player on his bench and left himself with 6/7 subs.

How stupid do you think your own manager is?

Not as stupid as a fella who thinks what you do about injuries I can tell you.

I am hating this argument.... but he was on the bench, in the match day squad - ready to be called off the bench if needed. He didn't miss the game through injury. he was there. If was out of the game through injury he wouldn't have been there.

Not being 100% is not the same as missing a game through injury.

Ibrahimovic isn't currently ready to lead the line from the start for United (he may never be) but I wouldn't be saying he is out injured at the moment. He isn't. He is on the bench.

Hey maybe you are right and me Giggsy AND Pep are all wrong. Agüero was hopelessly crocked on the bench. They couldnt remove him from his seat so he had to be named as a sub.

Line up with Aguero not on the bench would be fine.

Even if it is wrong what I said, by 1 game. What difference does that make to my original point?

Not as stupid as a fella who thinks what you do about injuries I can tell you.

What that I think an injured player wouldnt be named on the bench? Well guess you think I'm dumb as Pep. Cheers for the compliment :)

Even if it is wrong what I said, by 1 game. What difference does that make to my original point?

You pointed to him missing two games and not one, stating it is FACT. You made a thing of it.

• Advertisement

Hey maybe you are right and me Giggsy AND Pep are all wrong. Agüero was hopelessly crocked on the bench. They couldnt remove him from his seat so he had to be named as a sub.

You’ve changed the context of our discussion 180 degrees my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I personally hope that all of City's key players get injured which might give us a slight chance of getting back into this title race.

There was such a hullabaloo about Pogba's statement but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it doesn't run through many fans,players and managers heads during a title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Feel a chorus of Blue Moon coming on round these parts at the mo.

You pointed to him missing two games and not one, stating it is FACT. You made a thing of it.

It’s a fact he missed Chelsea & its in my opinion (plus thousands others) Stoke game because of the injury he suffered. Happy now?

You’ve changed the context of our discussion 180 degrees my friend.

I'm following your lead buddy. You made this about Aguero's "two" injured games and started to then redefine what an actual injured player is to suit your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It’s a fact he missed Chelsea & its in my opinion (plus thousands others) Stoke game because of the injury he suffered. Happy now?

But he didn’t miss the Stoke game? He was there!! He warmed up! He was named on the bench! Not been picked and missing a game through injury are VERY VERY different things

Just because he didn’t play the stoke game does not mean missed it.. You should meet Bangkok. He also likes staying his opinion as fact :D

beno619 wrote: »
    I personally hope that all of City's key players get injured which might give us a slight chance of getting back into this title race.

The was such a hullabaloo about Pogba's statement but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it doesn't run through many fans,players and managers heads during a title race.

What I horrible thing to put down. It’s classless & it’s not true in most decent heads. How could you be happy to win a title now knowing that the only reason for it happening was because city got 6 players out for 6 months injuries a piece, because let’s not kid ourselves, it’ll need to be that specific for a team like United to crawl back, & personally I’d fancy Chelsea to do it before United.

I wonder has Romero simply not displaced De Gea because he has been injured the whole time. They just cant move him from his seat.

• Advertisement

I'm following your lead buddy. You made this about Aguero's "two" injured games and started to then redefine what an actual injured player is to suit your argument.

Take him out of it then. Let’s pretend he never got injured at all. It’s still rubbish what you said about injuries to City 😂 smfh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement