Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jayop wrote: »

I don't think Rojo will be risked as he's on 4 yellow cards and iirc league cup cards carry over to the league.

Ander is in this boat aswell

I dont know if I'm allowed post 12 images (too much?) and dunno how to link an album but if you check the club Facebook theres photos of Zlat, Pogba, Romero, Valencia, Lukaku, McTominay, Rojo, Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Tuanzebe and Shaw when they visited the Manchester Childrens Hospital :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United have a new 4th kit. In fifa 18.

Wonder how long til a real version is released.

Actually had completely forgot about Mkhi and Zlatan when I was doing that. You'd imagine/hope both of them are sure to start.

I don't think Rojo will be risked as he's on 4 yellow cards and iirc league cup cards carry over to the league.
    He made his return in domestic competition..... 19 days ago. Wtf Rojo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ander is in this boat aswell

Aye but we're more limited with alternatives there. Do we play either Pogba or Matic in his place risking our two most important players imo? Should Ander pick up a yellow it wouldn't be the end of the world. One game ban for the Leicester game that he was unlikely to be playing in anyway if Matic and Pogba are fit.

Yesterday was the first league game he DIDN'T get booked in

Aye but we're more limited with alternatives there. Do we play either Pogba or Matic in his place risking our two most important players imo? Should Ander pick up a yellow it wouldn't be the end of the world. One game ban for the Leicester game that he was unlikely to be playing in anyway if Matic and Pogba are fit.
    Could play Tuanzebe in midfield.

lol He's a headcase but feck it, I'd rather a CB that's agressive and picks up cards than a passive guy. I know occasionally he'll cost us a penalty with a rash tackle but I think it's worth it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Could play Tuanzebe in midfield.

Can't see Jose playing Axel and Blind together tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

TheDoc wrote: »
    What does "more mature mean"? He still misses what I'd consider good chances and his off the ball movement is a bit meh when we are attacking through the middle or from the right. So I think anyway

In my opinion, he scored a few eye catching goals when he broke through but wasnt all that involved otherwise. Some games this season, and late last, he has given the full back a torrid time.

I dont think hes ever going to be a "get down the line and cross" winger, but he can be a very useful utility forward who may someday develop his finishing enough to be a no. 1 central striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

lol He's a headcase but feck it, I'd rather a CB that's agressive and picks up cards than a passive guy. I know occasionally he'll cost us a penalty with a rash tackle but I think it's worth it.

Rojo is not a defender that fills me with confidence. Don’t mind him as backup for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

As an aside I thought Smalling was excellent at the weekend and has been showing signs of returning to his 15/16 form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Was it here somewhere that someone posted a stat around Lingards goals/assists v some other players in the premiership. Can't remember if I saw it here.

Was it here somewhere that someone posted a stat around Lingards goals/assists v some other players in the premiership. Can't remember if I saw it here.

Yeah it was me. Same combined totals as luminaries like Sane, Sanchez and others. There's obviously others with more, even in our team but it's nice for Jesse to be in such exalted company with much less minutes than most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I saw recently that DDG has the most saves in the PL this season. Thats unusual as usually it's a lower half team that has this record as they face the most shots. Think Fabianski or Pickford.

Too class keeper, probably the best in the world now I reckon and has won united points himself this season.

Just wondering do any of ye know where to find, or have, a breakdown of his saves per game?

FitzShane wrote: »
    I saw recently that DDG has the most saves in the PL this season. Thats unusual as usually it's a lower half team that has this record as they face the most shots. Think Fabianski or Pickford.

Too class keeper, probably the best in the world now I reckon and has won united points himself this season.

Just wondering do any of ye know where to find, or have, a breakdown of his saves per game?

http://www.espnfc.com/player/108482/david-de-gea

Under appearances. SV is the number of saves per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FitzShane wrote: »

Fantasy premier league website although I'm sure its easily got elsewhere. Fabianski has just gone level with him with that Rooney pen save both on 70 saves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sigurdsson looking like a proper player again now. Sam has to by credit for the way they have turned it around under him I'd love a player like him that can get goals from range.

Any chance that by the new year we can have caught up with City a little?

GW19
    Arsenal v Liverpool
    Everton v Chelsea
    City v Bournmouth
    Leicester v United

Good time to play Leicester after their new bubble was burst at the weekend by Palace. Palace let Leicester have the ball and hit them on the break with pacy wing play. I expect us to do the same away from home and we should win. Arsenal and Liverpool will take points of one or both of them so that suits us. Chelsea could have it tough at Everton too. City you'd expect to win handy enough.

GW20
    Chelsea v Brighton
    United v Burnley
    Liverpool v Swansea
    Newcastle vs City
    Palace v Arsenal

You'd expect top 5 wins all down here although United and Arsenal might both struggle.

GW21
    Chelsea v Stoke
    Liverpool v Leicester
    United v Southampton
    Palace v City
    West Brom v Arsenal

Again, very hard to see past all wins for the top 5.

All in all I think we have the toughest of the next 3 fixtures at a time when we need to get 9 points because it's damn hard to see City dropping anything there. Also good to keep our heads above the rest of the pack and well away from a top 4 race battle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wayne Rooney 2nd highest premier league goalscorer, 3rd highest assists.

What a player he has been

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

All in all I think we have the toughest of the next 3 fixtures at a time when we need to get 9 points because it's damn hard to see City dropping anything there. Also good to keep our heads above the rest of the pack and well away from a top 4 race battle.

It comes down to just personal opinion but I'm optimistic about our fixtures.

Hard to see City dropping points but I'd be expecting us to come very close to getting 9 points from those 3 games.

Leicester are hit and miss lately. Got trounced by Palace and now have to play City midweek before facing us.

Burnley have been good this season, Southampton starting to improve but both are at home which I think gives us the edge. Our home form has been great this season.

Obviously anything can happen in football but we have a great chance to pick up near maximum points from those games and end the calendar year in a good position.

bangkok wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney 2nd highest premier league goalscorer, 3rd highest assists.

What a player he has been

I know a lot of his goals have come at the spot, and others will disagree with me but it's nice to see him doing well.

There were a lot of questions around him with Koeman in charge but I think he's a player Sam likes and can get the best out of. If Everton can hit form and take some points against our rivals would be brilliant.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know a lot of his goals have come at the spot, and others will disagree with me but it's nice to see him doing well.

There were a lot of questions around him with Koeman in charge but I think he's a player Sam likes and can get the best out of. If Everton can hit form and take some points against our rivals would be brilliant.

I'm delighted to see him doing well he has only had good to say about United since he left and he owed the club nothing.

He probably won't do it but love to see him get number one spot of he can keep scoring long enough.

3/10 were pens and his goals have secured 14/25 points for Everton. I'm delighted for him.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see him doing well he has only had good to say about United since he left and he owed the club nothing.

He probably won't do it but love to see him get number one spot of he can keep scoring long enough.

He's still 52 behind Shearer so I really can't see him do it, but I agree with you, I'd only love to see him take it from him.

Say he got another 10 this season, that leaves him with 42 goals needed and he's be turning 33 next October. Really he'd need 3 more seasons to score 42 goals and there's no way he plays that long.

Unless something amazing happens and he bangs in 20 more goals this season then it's not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Meanwhile, it’s sad to see Swansea doing so poorly they were a really tricky team to play for the few seasons but currently look like absolute certs for the drop.

If they don’t get anything against Palace this weekend, they are well and truly screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Happy to see him doing well but does anyone think he'd have helped us this year had we held onto him?

I'm still shocked at how quickly and quietly he went from Uniteds main man to out the door in 2 seasons.

I think José deserves a lot of credit for handling this transition quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Happy to see him doing well but does anyone think he'd have helped us this year had we held onto him?

I'm still shocked at how quickly and quietly he went from Uniteds main man to out the door in 2 seasons.

He'd be just another on the list of current scape goats

The time was right for him to go I think and as a Rooney fan I've no complaints that he's gone. He was a make weight in the deal for Lukaku who's already scored more goals than him this season and is 8 years his younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

S.M.B. wrote: »

I reckon he would have offered more than Mkhitaryan and possibly Mata too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

More of a lurker than a poster here even though I read the thread every day and I dunno if this is against the rules but I have a podcast with 2 of my mates and I would love if some of ye could check it out

https://soundcloud.com/user-918232988

Don't think there's anything in the roles about that dude. Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

bangkok wrote: »
    combined United 99, 08

Schmeichel

G. Neville
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Evra

Beckham
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Ronaldo
    Rooney

better than city in every position on the field and subs bench

Subs:
    van der Saar
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Tevez
    Carrick
    Yorke
    Cole

Would they have more possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

TheDoc wrote: »
    I havn't seen, heard or read anyone suggesting or implying he should be replaced. Where is this coming from?

You saying the myth is busted, doesn't dispel a myth.

I've put forward a post outlining I don't feel there is any tangible improvement in Rashford(granted an already quality player) from his stint on the left, and I won't even start on Martial, because I think he should be an absolute monster that is very inconsistent and blustery under this manager.

Luke Shaw is becoming the latest example that puts fire to the flames of the "Jose and youth" myth. Talked about it loads before, actually no tangible indication of what the problem is, just the manager indicating he isn't ready.

Us scoring a lot of goals does not equate to a coach who knows how to attack. I know that sounds ABSOLUTELY MENTAL but when I watch us play, it looks very much like the players working the problems out as opposed to any noticeable pattern or strategy. I'd have concerns in a game that is now so meticulous, where defences are so well organised, surely the offensive side of the game needs the same attention?

You won't give him a new contract, but provide him endless funds should he ask? I know that is counter intuitive but I actually probably agree with you. This craic and fuss he is making over his contract is quintessential why I don't like Mourinho and why he might find favour runs out quicker then he thinks if some of the performances continue and he is standing empty handed come end of season.

A club like ours and our size won't be shy of getting in top managers. I would hope that after Jose's messing and flirting with PSG, Ed is wise to this, and contingency plans are already getting put in place identifying our next manager, a) in the event Jose jumps ship or b) he needs replacing this summer coming, or the following.

The post Ferguson era has being painful in terms of making it obvious the club requires an actual plan and can't continue jumping between managers who have drastically different outlooks on style, playing staff etc.

Mourinho works with Luke Shaw every day of the week, and hasn’t been playing him, despite having no real options at left back. What do you think his motive is for not playing Shaw, if he is doing well in training? Is Mourinho sabotaging himself, by not playing the best player available to him or is it, like the last two managers that Shaw has had have pointed to, a Shaw application and or attitude problem.

On the attacking part, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the managers role, there is only so much instructing and drills a manager can do but the players go out on the pitch, and it is their job to be creators, so them working it out between them is how I’d expect it. It wasn’t long ago that Van Gaal’s robotic nature of attacking was the point of criticism, and now Mourinho leaves the players to express themselves and they need to be told how to attack?

What do you do against a blanket defence? You work the ball for openings, you vary your point of attack between wide and inside, it’s not groundbreaking stuff and the players should know this. I think we can assume an elite level coach works on this in training and if the players don’t do it on the pitch is it a failure of coaching or of the attacking players?

If you take away City’s forwards and give Pep Mikki, Mata, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial is he going to be top of the league? Of course he isn’t.

I still have seen more from Shaw in his last 2 outings to suggest he would be a better attacking outlet than any of our other FB's.

He's so talented it would be criminal to waste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mourinho works with Luke Shaw every day of the week, and hasn’t been playing him, despite having no real options at left back. What do you think his motive is for not playing Shaw, if he is doing well in training? Is Mourinho sabotaging himself, by not playing the best player available to him or is it, like the last two managers that Shaw has had have pointed to, a Shaw application and or attitude problem.

On the attacking part, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the managers role, there is only so much instructing and drills a manager can do but the players go out on the pitch, and it is their job to be creators, so them working it out between them is how I’d expect it. It wasn’t long ago that Van Gaal’s robotic nature of attacking was the point of criticism, and now Mourinho leaves the players to express themselves and they need to be told how to attack?

What do you do against a blanket defence? You work the ball for openings, you vary your point of attack between wide and inside, it’s not groundbreaking stuff and the players should know this. I think we can assume an elite level coach works on this in training and if the players don’t do it on the pitch is it a failure of coaching or of the attacking players?

If you take away City’s forwards and give Pep Mikki, Mata, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial is he going to be top of the league? Of course he isn’t.
    I am unsure on where I sit in terms of who's responsible for our shortcomings this season. I'm probably sitting somewhere in the middle where I feel others here are more on opposite ends of the spectrum.

José has done a fantastic job at changing our fortunes when it comes to getting results and I wouldn't downplay how important this is at this moment in time. A few more barren seasons with no CL football could have resulted in some major long term problems for the club.

I do believe he needs to get more out of the current batch of players he has whether through coaching, tactical setup, match preparation or simply motivation and leadership. I think he does need to do more than just setting up a solid defence and hoping that his attacking players will do enough on the day to win each game. This appears to be his approach which you seem to agree and are happy with.

Lesser teams have looked better at times against us so I don't think it's fair to say that the quality of our players is the only problem.

If José isn't happy with their application or they don't fit his system then he needs to hurry up and convince the board to back him to bring in those who do.

I'm really keen to see what he does in the next 2 Windows if he's backed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He's still 52 behind Shearer so I really can't see him do it, but I agree with you, I'd only love to see him take it from him.

Say he got another 10 this season, that leaves him with 42 goals needed and he's be turning 33 next October. Really he'd need 3 more seasons to score 42 goals and there's no way he plays that long.

Unless something amazing happens and he bangs in 20 more goals this season then it's not happening.

He was determined to beat Law's record so I think if he gets 10 more this season and say another 30 the next two seasons he'll try to hang around another season or two to get Shearer's record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

FatherTed wrote: »
    He was determined to beat Law's record so I think if he gets 10 more this season and say another 30 the next two seasons he'll try to hang around another season or two to get Shearer's record.

Charltons record i think you mean

Just got a pop-up story on phone from ESPN.

Don't know the extent of it but saying we are still not sure what's wrong with Fellainis knee. Wonder how long he'll be out.

Anything to be said for a group hug??????

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Just got a pop-up story on phone from ESPN.

Don't know the extent of it but saying we are still not sure what's wrong with Fellainis knee. Wonder how long he'll be out.

Wonder is he been frozen out or indeed freezing himself out? He is at a delicate stage now with United contract winding down and been able sign a new deal in a few weeks if he makes an injury worse now it can mess up any deal he may have in pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Wonder is he been frozen out or indeed freezing himself out? He is at a delicate stage now with United contract winding down and been able sign a new deal in a few weeks if he makes an injury worse now it can mess up any deal he may have in pipeline.

THinking it could be like the Memphis and Schneiderlin situations where he has said he is going to move n that so Jose is taking him out of the team as he feels he isn’t committed to the club..

Never know though tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/NcGeehan/status/942656731859087360

You won't see much about this in the UK papers.Citys pr team doing a good job projecting their owners as goody two shoes.

You won't see much about this in the UK papers.Citys pr team doing a good job projecting their owners as goody two shoes.

Who gives a **** tho mate it's a football forum leave that bolloxoloigy to other areas. It's only continuing back and forth **** and to be frank we are never coming out if it looking like anything other then sour grapes.

Leave them off let them have it.

Its not the City PR doing the protecting.

It is the value of the ME money to the global economy and the local economies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It’s a good read in fairness, how stupid can your man be using a hotmail email address :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Leave them off let them have it.

I suppose,they are only 5 years old or so. ;):)

I suppose,they are only 5 years old or so. ;):)

I give up haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

The thought just occurred to me that the writer (and others) are accusing Abu Dhabi of using City to burnish their image without any sense of irony that they (the writers) are using City to besmirch Abu Dhabi's image.

A human rights researcher with an agenda.

• Advertisement

tumblr_lvt6jr4GHY1qjj1wao1_400.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement