Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They were a bit lucky. But they fought a lot to be lucky. They fought like it was the game of their lives. It was a brilliant day for football. Congratulations to them

Tbh, I see nothing wrong with that quote. "You make your own luck" basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Headshot wrote: »
    Arsenal

That was a totally loose performance which we could easily have lost.

bangkok wrote: »
    We shoukd sign johnny evans for centre back, darren fletcher for midfield, nani for right wing, hernandez for up front. We be sorted then

you forgot rooney welbeck and evra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lord TSC wrote: »
    They were a bit lucky. But they fought a lot to be lucky. They fought like it was the game of their lives. It was a brilliant day for football. Congratulations to them

Tbh, I see nothing wrong with that quote. "You make your own luck" basically.
    That was just a snippet.

He mentioned luck a few more times than that. It's a common rhetoric retort technique.

It was more like:
    I'm not going to say X because that's not important.
    But it was X.
    I'm not going to say that though we should focus other things.
    Others things are important, so was X.
    Can't really talk about X, you should not put too much weight on me talking about X. Because I'm not going to talk about it. It's not as relevant.
    It is a little though.

And so on.

He mentioned luck several times. He didn't have to but the way he did actually brings more attention to his remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    Back up your post, you can’t say that and then say don’t ask me names.. back it up..

Anyways.. enjoyed the passion from the Bristol players and fans after the whistle.. it was great to watch and you could see how much it meant to them.. I hope our players are shown that over and over again to show them what passion is

I dont remember the names... i'll call them out...

who thinks we can still catch city??

Have any of our players actually gotten any better playing under Jose??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Is BillyBobBS like the evil version of Yermandan, thanking any anti United/Mourinho posts but not posting himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I never really enjoy games like this. Always a cup final for the opposition and their fans, ref is often biased towards the underdogs and there's often many of our players that look like they don't want to be there.

Very disappointing performance though. I actually wish Lingard started that game, which is something I never really though I'd say. On the bright side, this will hopefully give the players some extra incentive to respond with a performance and win against Leicester although I'm not too confident about that. Hopefully this game will also have sealed the fates of a few players in the squad. There's 2 or 3 players that played tonight that I won't be too upset to see leave in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I never really enjoy games like this. Always a cup final for the opposition and their fans, ref is often biased towards the underdogs and there's often many of our players that look like they don't want to be there.

Very disappointing performance though. I actually wish Lingard started that game, which is something I never really though I'd say. On the bright side, this will hopefully give the players some extra incentive to respond with a performance and win against Leicester although I'm not too confident about that. Hopefully this game will also have sealed the fates of a few players in the squad. There's 2 or 3 players that played tonight that I won't be too upset to see leave in January.

Whatever people think of Lingard(I actually quite like him) he has in spades what was missing from a lot of players tonight.

I agree there’s some I’ll be glad to see the back of.

There still a lot of clearing up to be done from the ****storm that Van Gaal made of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Players didn't look bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Noel82 wrote: »
    Players didn't look bothered

Just conserving their energy for reeling in city in the league.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ffs Pogba

He doesn't exactly burst his ass to get back does he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And it’s started...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Whatever people think of Lingard(I actually quite like him) he has in spades what was missing from a lot of players tonight.

I agree there’s some I’ll be glad to see the back of.

There still a lot of clearing up to be done from the ****storm that Van Gaal made of the club.

I've really warmed to Lingard lately. Always thought of him as a limited player whose place in the squad was possibly more to do with him being a local lad than his footballing ability. In fairness to him, he has a good attitude and is prepared to work hard for the team. Surprisingly skillful at times also which is good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rojo & jones have improved when fit valencias defending too but on the attacking side im not so sure.

Theres definitely something missing in the team and its not all from the players. I think the team looks afraid on the ball except matic and are just sticking to safe and slow play. Theres been glimpses of great attacking play but not enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

who thinks we can still catch city??

Shut the **** up about City, you are the only one that even gives a toss about them. United are still at the stage of sorting their own **** out never mind worrying about any other team yet you keep bleating on about City, city, city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Better than AFTV this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So lads what's excuse now?

Bristol ****ing City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So lads what's excuse now?

Bristol ****ing City!

One of those occasions where the cliché "They wanted it more" might fit.

Bristol were good. We were a pile of shíte who seemed to think showing up would would automatically qualify us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Impressed by Bristol and the top teams in the championship are a damn sight harder at this time if the year than a bottom PL side. Fair play to them they deserved the win.

As for United, it as a poor performance. It the woodwork a few times so that's a bit unlucky and I thought Rashford should have had a pen in the first half but all in all we didn't deserve anything else. I'd love to have went on and won the game but hey ho.

Saving grace was no extra time and hopefully a kick in the hole for the players before the three big PL games in a week.

• Advertisement

The league is over we won't even come close in champions league.....

How bout another fa cup!!??

Not to worry another 200 mil to be spent next summer lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

some seem happy United lost tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have to beat Sevilla to be in the last 8 of the CL. Jose has won it with worse teams with bigger fish in there. No reason they can't give it a go.

I'd be happy with 'another' FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/partidazocope/status/943625651965366272

Jose to PSG story has popped up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Liam O wrote: »
    Have to beat Sevilla to be in the last 8 of the CL. Jose has won it with worse teams with bigger fish in there.

Apart from De Gea and possibly pogba not one player from the United first xi would make either that porto or inter side. They were quality sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Could see it happening. He might have come here with intentions of creating something big but if that's gonna be overshadowed by Guardiola, he might just hop over to France and pad his trophy stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pogba, Darmian and MacTominay didn't do the basics well last night. Romero looked a bit dodgy. Rashford seemed a little off. Mkhitaryan did nothing when he came on.

Rest were average.

Very poor and disappointing overall.

Shut the **** up about City, you are the only one that even gives a toss about them. United are still at the stage of sorting their own **** out never mind worrying about any other team yet you keep bleating on about City, city, city.

Easy to say that now the league is over.

And seeing that they will be our main rivals for the next few years, yes i will continue to keep an eye on them.

Its actually gas now you are finally admitting there is something wrong with the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its actually gas now you are finally admitting there is something wrong with the team.

What the **** is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The league is over when we are 10 points behind with 3 games to play until then sit down and shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If he walks away now he’ll look like a loser. Not something he will want attached to him I’m sure. Besides PSG will allways want him even in a few seasons when he’s finished here

Of all the people you're starting that **** with, you're trying to paint Buck as someone who was saying everything was perfect? He has been perfectly vocal for months about problems with team character and the weaknesses on certain positions....

Going on from yesterdays rumour about mkhitarayan being off in january as he stood up to jose, pogba saying this..

"The worst is the same for everyone I think – the tactics.

"Defensive tactics because you just have to drill, you don’t have the ball. I always learned playing with my friends.

"When you come from where I come from it was like two-vs-two, three-vs-three.

"It was physical and technical so I always loved it. I always loved the beautiful tekkers, the nice skills."

Seems to me a lot of the attacking players are feeling restricted. Id say if you asked martial and mata they would say the same as well

What the **** is that supposed to mean?

Sorry i may have confused you with another poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I have a feeling if we won the League Cup you'd be the first to say "its only the League Cup, who cares, lol"

Seems to me a lot of the attacking players are feeling restricted. Id say if you asked martial and mata they would say the same as well

lol. You musn't watch you're favourite club much. Even they have attackers that work hard for the team.

Second highest goal scorers in the PL.

"Our attacking players must feel restricted".

The role-eyes emoticon going to get strained again today, I see....

Going on from yesterdays rumour about mkhitarayan being off in january as he stood up to jose, pogba saying this..

"The worst is the same for everyone I think – the tactics.

"Defensive tactics because you just have to drill, you don’t have the ball. I always learned playing with my friends.

"When you come from where I come from it was like two-vs-two, three-vs-three.

"It was physical and technical so I always loved it. I always loved the beautiful tekkers, the nice skills."

Link?

I said yesterday before kick off this would be the narative:
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Surely it'll be some remarks about Jose questioning Mkhitaryan defensive qualities? How dare he try to make an attacking player defend etc. etc. etc.

The City fan obliged of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

We shouldn’t restrict any players to defensive duty’s tho don’t you see, unless they are defenders... well not the full backs either they need to support the wingers! We should just have 2 cbs sitting all the time... every game be like United and Leicester from LVGs era! Hell let’s go full Kevin Keegan on it and not defend at all! Worked out well for Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It also sounds like he is talking about just not liking doing defensive work in training. Surprised? Nope. Meh.

Id say if you asked martial and mata they would say the same as well

The same Martial that when he gets the ball going forward, is allowed to run at the fullback and make his own decisions to cut in or drift wide? To take shots or cross the ball.. If there was restrictions on him he would be doing the same thing over and over.

The same Mata that when he plays has the freedom of the pitch behind the striker, who is supposed to be playing out wide but is very seldomly there..

Nearly every wide player in every team is asked to help out their fullback.. it’s a basic part of the game ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I thought Pogba played well last night. I thought he was completely isolated by a ****e McTominay, Rashford and Martial in front of him. They were all brutal.

Things got better with Lukaku on... but then he was playing out wide again for some reason?

Anyway, United were ****.

It also sounds like he is talking about just not liking doing defensive work in training. Surprised? Nope. Meh.

That’s why I want to see the link to the questions and full answers.. there is no context on the quotes at all

pjohnson wrote: »
    I have a feeling if we won the League Cup you'd be the first to say "its only the League Cup, who cares, lol"

To be honest a cups a cup don't turn any down but we shouldn't have to settle for the smaller ones with the players we have and money where spending. Still a bit off though unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I mean the whole reason Bristol scores their first was because we had 8 men practically in and around their box ffs.. so defensive!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I thought Pogba played well last night. I thought he was completely isolated by a ****e McTominay, Rashford and Martial in front of him. They were all brutal.

The number of times Pogba, or Ibra, or Martial or Rashford ran At the box, and found six players around them, only to try blasting the ball towards the net and missing wildly, bugged the hell out of me.

I'm not sure if they felt isolated, or were glory hunting, but they consistently refused to play passes to open players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That’s why I want to see the link to the questions and full answers.. there is no context on the quotes at all

Its an old interview I read them before maybe Bangkok has been on wikepidea again.

Again I've no problems with people been unhappy about last night I am too I thought the team looked so lethargic and uninterested but to discuss it as it it's Jose defensive tactics is crippling the team is bloody nonsense.

People calling for blind to be played midfield are probably now saying Jose shouldn't of played 5 defenders.

No doubt Jose got stuff wrong it's his job to makke sure the team is fully motivated and wants to win these games but fuk me that line-up last night should be putting in a better shift then that even playing for there own pride.

And yep pogba gave the ball away and he ain't that good defensively but at least he looked like he wanted to win he actually tried to make things happen and looked bothered.

The same Martial that when he gets the ball going forward, is allowed to run at the fullback and make his own decisions to cut in or drift wide? To take shots or cross the ball.. If there was restrictions on him he would be doing the same thing over and over.

The same Mata that when he plays has the freedom of the pitch behind the striker, who is supposed to be playing out wide but is very seldomly there..

Nearly every wide player in every team is asked to help out their fullback.. it’s a basic part of the game ffs

But martial is a striker asked to do a wingers job. Yoy need to give certain players freedom like mkhitarayan.

We are heavily linked with ozil, do you ever see him track back?? No

Cant imagine griezemann would be happy either if he came if had to chase back

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement