Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It's not when Barcelona and now City have the ball, it's how they run around like Energiser Bunnies right to the final whistle that's the issue. What I said was that there were always rumours and whispers of shenanigans behind the scenes of his teams. Look at Aguero breaking ribs in a car crash and is back playing within a couple of weeks, anyone else and they'd be laid up for a lot longer. Gabriel Jesus did his metatarsal and was back in 9 weeks.

Barcelona were fined for not disclosing the whereabouts of players for dope tests.
    City were fined 3 times in his first 6 months at the club for similar offences.

wtf are you on about.

When you have the ball you're not running around like a headless chicken for the most part the ball is doing all the work so the very few times in a game they lose it they have all the energy conserved to hunt the ball down because they were not chasing it around.

Does this really need to be explained to you?

broken ribs in cars and quick turn around on injuries they're all doped?

How did ibra return from a career ending injury?

doping?

What a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's not when Barcelona and now City have the ball, it's how they run around like Energiser Bunnies right to the final whistle that's the issue. What I said was that there were always rumours and whispers of shenanigans behind the scenes of his teams. Look at Aguero breaking ribs in a car crash and is back playing within a couple of weeks, anyone else and they'd be laid up for a lot longer. Gabriel Jesus did his metatarsal and was back in 9 weeks.

Barcelona were fined for not disclosing the whereabouts of players for dope tests.
    City were fined 3 times in his first 6 months at the club for similar offences.

Come on now.

Rumours by fans of rivals trying to make themselves content in a ridiculous idea that the only reason his teams are performing better are due to underhanded tactics. There is no proof to any of the rumours.

City were fined once (a whopping £35'000) for three breaches of players whereabouts for drug testing over a period of 5-6 months.
    The three breaches of players whereabouts for drug tests were noted as:
    1- Due to Pep Guardiola organising an extra training session
    2- A first-team player missed a drugs test because he had failed to update his address
    3- Six reserve players being given a day off at late notice.

City admitted to it, began working with the anti-doping agency and then created a role in the club to stay on top of all the drug testing requests.

Bournemouth also were given the same punishment for similar offenses. And I'm sure other teams have too.

If it helps people deal with City's current domination by just assuming they must be up to something underhanded fair enough, but I'm going to go with the more logical explanation of a club with huge financial pool, a top class manager, expensive facilities and staff, world class players, and effective tactics as why they are doing so well.

I rather we acknowledged their progress and looked to better it than just chalk it down to some conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

limnam wrote: »
    wtf are you on about.

When you have the ball you're not running around like a headless chicken for the most part the ball is doing all the work so the very few times in a game they lose it they have all the energy conserved to hunt the ball down because they were not chasing it around.

Does this really need to be explained to you?

broken ribs in cars and quick turn around on injuries they're all doped?

How did ibra return from a career ending injury?

doping?

What a load of rubbish.

Ibra was back on schedule,if he'd been back within half that time then questions would be asked.
    Can a person not be a bit suspicious of rapid improvement in sportsmen's performance without someone calling it "clap trap" and "a load of rubbish". Some of the dodgiest medical personnel in the world of sports worked at Barca.
    If a player is injured they are not subject to dope tests so who's to say that they cannot take anything to aid their recovery? The temptation is surely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Stop with the crazy City conspiracies lads , it embarrassing. Anywhere to watch the game in Dublin airport lads ? Have to wait an hour or so for bus home.

Whatever about City, I neither know nor care, but if our lads are on PEDs then our current dealer is taking the piss. Some of our players look wall-falling out there in the second half of games lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Whatever about City, I neither know nor care, but if our lads are on PEDs then our current dealer is taking the piss. Some of our players look wall-falling out there in the second half of games lately.

Our lads must be on Dutch Gold. Even Pogba can't get out of the bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Our lads must be on Dutch Gold. Even Pogba can't get out of the bed. :)

The game's gone t'fúck and full of light-weights nowadays. Back in the 90s, United players were partying on the reg with Spoonman from the Soundgarden song, they had no problem getting up the next morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

What is that formation??? Lindelof RB?? :confused:

Edit: Mourinho: “Darmian is also injured. We don’t have too many more options at right-back and Victor has experience to play in the position even at highest level, in the last Euros he was there for Sweden, so it’s not a new position for him.”

Would prefer Young RB and Shaw LB but let's see how this goes now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's funny how some people seem to take offense at people's personal opinion that City aren't great to watch. It's no slight on their ability or effectiveness. I'm 100 percent consistent with this, I said the same about that great Barca team that I thought they were a dull watch for most of their games.

Some people enjoy different things from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tweet was deleted as it had 2012 as the date :pac:

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/944641886492512256

Jayop wrote: »
    It's funny how some people seem to take offense at people's personal opinion that City aren't great to watch. It's no slight on their ability or effectiveness. I'm 100 percent consistent with this, I said the same about that great Barca team that I thought they were a dull watch for most of their games.

Some people enjoy different things from football.

Relax no one's taking offense.

It's just a bit odd IMO for united fans who like "good" football

Not to enjoy a team that pretty much plays most of the time "perfect" football.

e.g. in the commonly accepted "right way"

I'm mostly talking about barca at their peak here

I don't accept that it's the right way and I think possession football is dull as dishwater. It might well be commonly accepted but as I said it's my personal opinion.

United never played that brand of football even at our very best. As a united fan then surely it can't be a huge surprise that my preference for football is fast counter attacking play with wingers and wide full backs.

Anyway. United have no right back.

But its not exciting they totally dominate most games and control the possession until the other team invariably drops deep due to so much pressure (or teams start like that) and then probe patiently until they find an opening. The games are generally just a procession.

As a neutral or worse a rival its a hard watch as the other teams never get many attacks so the game lacks excitement.

That being said if a team goes toe to toe with them like Monaco in the champions league last year you get a great watch but they are a much better outfit this year also.

If they get Barcelona at some stage this year it'd be a game i'd look forward to watching also. I'm actually curious to see how they get on against the bigger teams in general but that'd be the standout one for me if it where to happen

I don't accept that it's the right way and I think possession football is dull as dishwater. It might well be commonly accepted but as I said it's my personal opinion.

United never played that brand of football even at our very best. As a united fan then surely it can't be a huge surprise that my preference for football is fast counter attacking play with wingers and wide full backs.

possession football in the style of LVG is fairly boring.

Possession with purpose and attacking prowess is a different thing.

If you don't like stunning first touches, one touch football, beautiful movement stunning passes, interlinking, outrageous turnover/pressing sublime finishing, vision etc etc etc

I suppose there's other things to like about football, I just can't think of many.

But its not exciting they totally dominate most games and control the possession until the other team invariably drops deep due to so much pressure (teams generally start like this though) and then probe patiently until they find an opening. The games are generally just a procession.

As a neutral or worse a rival its a hard watch as the other teams never get many attacks so the game lacks excitement.

That being said if a team goes toe to toe with them like Monaco in the champions league last year you get a great watch but they are a much better outfit this year also.

If they get Barcelona at some stage this year it'd be a game i'd look forward to watching also. I'm actually curious to see how they get on against the bigger teams in general but that'd be the standout one for me if it where to happen

It sounds like it's not barca you dont like, it's their opposition :)

possession football in the style of LVG is fairly boring.

Possession with purpose and attacking prowess is a different thing.

If you don't like stunning first touches, one touch football, beautiful movement stunning passes, interlinking, outrageous turnover/pressing sublime finishing, vision etc etc etc

I suppose there's other things to like about football, I just can't think of many.

I can totally accept and appreciate that others will find it amazing. I'm just always stunned how butt hurt people get when you dare to have an opposing opinion. Was the very same when I said the same thing about Barca.

I can totally accept and appreciate that others will find it amazing. I'm just always stunned how butt hurt people get when you dare to have an opposing opinion. Was the very same when I said the same thing about Barca.

No one's butt hurt. I'm not a barca fan or city fan I couldn't give a hoot what people think about them.

I'm just surprised that's all, which I'm as entitled to be surprised at the opinion as you're to hold it no?

• Advertisement

Ffs if you can't see the difference between you giving your opinion on my opinion and me giving my opinion on a football team then there no point.

Ffs if you can't see the difference between you giving your opinion on my opinion and me giving my opinion on a football team then there no point.

Sorry I thought we were just having a discussion on a forum designed for discussions.

They can be had without anyone taking offense or been butt hurt, a lot less of late but anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

:confused:

It's quintessentially "the beautiful game"

The only difficult thing to watch about it now is it's bloody city.

I mean, we all view things differently right? My opinion surrounding aesthetics and the type of game i like to watch is no more right than yours. Actually bizarre that you would find this difficult to understand.

Edit: Responded to this earlier before reading the posts afterwards. Think the discussion has been covered.

3 efforts in a minute and a half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Martial and Lingard looking very good. Just hope this doesn't fade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Martial and Lingard looking very good. Just hope this doesn't fade.

Martial is looking good on the ball but he is playing very close to Lukaku's space and they are cramping each other at times. Young isn't advancing in to the space that Martial is creating so we are having to play it through that cramped central area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really enjoying this so far hope it continues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Super work from Jonesey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

**** off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Get INNN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What the fúck was that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ugh, that's utterly against the run of play but you can't let Leicester counter like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Balls anyway.

Christ. Such a goal to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Where was Jones, wow he literally walked back

Here we go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pathetic defending

Get INNN!

You're some sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Where the fcuk did the defence disappear!! Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Should Smalling not have tried to block off the pass to Vardy? It looked like he wanted him to pass it to Vardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

De Gea should have cleaned that up.
    Very naive defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fecking Vardy. Always shows up against the big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bangkok? that’s what happens when you commit too many players forward..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Jones ball watching..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Should DDG of came out before Mahrez even touched it?

Should Smalling not have tried to block off the pass to Vardy? It looked like he wanted him to pass it to Vardy.

If he tried that then Mahrez would have just went the other way.

Jones pushed high up the pitch to put pressure on vardy, then forgot that vardy was his man and just strolled back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Esse85 wrote: »
    Should DDG of came out before Mahrez even touched it?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Happy Christmas Manchester City

Glazers Out!

Could have been LindelOFF there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    Bangkok? that’s what happens when you commit too many players forward..

No that was called ridiculous defending.

Anyway, 2nd highest scorers in the league. We be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Rossi IRL wrote: »

If he tried that then Mahrez would have just went the other way.

I’d prefer Mahrez on his right foot under pressure than Vardy racing through for a one touch finish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement