Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

pjohnson wrote: »
    I love this line when people harken back to the heady glory days of LVG. Playing good against top 6 excuses the fact that LVG would regularly struggle to break down the other 14 teams.

Yes, its good to harken back to a manager who wanted to go toe to toe with the other top teams, LVG relished it. That doesn't excuse his other flaws and the poor football but now a UTD game against top opposition is a bore fest, time for another 90 mins of sitting back, handing over possession to the opposition and hoping we don't conceded.

Are you saying your happy with us now parking the bus rather then having a go against the top teams ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

rob316 wrote: »
    Yes it does prove something. It proves that United want to be the big dog that breaks transfer records. Show that they can spend huge on 1 player.
    The reality is, is that the creativity is poor in this United side and that falls on mourinho. Why didn't he buy a creative winger and a centre forward out of the money he spent on lukaku? Other managers could build a better squad with the funds at his disposal.
    Jose has come up against a manager who plays vibrant attacking football and who has bought well money is only part of the problem.

United spent £180m on 2 players, city bought 4 players for that with a greater impact.

Also find this post kind of ironic when you are advocating spending a world record fee on a goal keeper for your own club. Is that to show that you are a big dog or is it because it’s what your club needs and if you have to spend the money.....

A tad hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes, its good to harken back to a manager who wanted to go toe to toe with the other top teams, LVG relished it. That doesn't excuse his other flaws and the poor football but now a UTD game against top opposition is a bore fest, time for another 90 mins of sitting back, handing over possession to the opposition and hoping we don't conceded.

Are you saying your happy with us now parking the bus rather then having a go against the top teams ?

You get the same points for beating a "big" team as you do a "small" team? You know that right? Theres no bonus points for beating the "big six".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s a method that has worked in the past for Jose, it’s just City have upped the bar and started beating the big teams as well as the smaller ones so nobody can keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Fellaini apparently wants new pastures so cant see how he can put in maximum performances if his mind has wandered elsewhere.

You keep banging on about this. There's no reason he cannot continue to perform at a high level for us as he did before getting injured.

He's been nothing but professional and I see no reason for that to change now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You get the same points for beating a "big" team as you do a "small" team? You know that right? Theres no bonus points for beating the "big six".

Well technically by beating one of the top 6 you are gaining 3 points on them. By beating the lesser teams chances you are not.

Actually there is a sort of bonus for beating the big teams when in a title fight with them, had we beat City at home the gap would have been 5 points, instead it went to 11 in City's favor.

You do understand the difference between beating title rivals and small teams right?

Oh and were not not beating the small teams right now under Jose, see Leicester, Burnley and Bristol City. You know that right?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well technically by beating one of the top 6 you are gaining 3 points on them. By beating the lesser teams chances you are not.

Well at least I now understand how you were rabbiting about United not really being second in the league. You butcher the thing

Well at least I now understand how you were rabbiting about United not really being second in the league. You butcher the thing

woah woah woah attack the post not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

adox wrote: »
    Also find this post kind of ironic when you are advocating spending a world record fee on a goal keeper for your own club. Is that to show that you are a big dog or is it because it’s what your club needs and if you have to spend the money.....

A tad hypocritical.

Weird your going through my other posts but ok...

Also advocating a record fee for a centre back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No he hasn't, you must be seeing something I'm not. In LVG's first season he took UTD from 7th to 4th place and back into the UCL. Then he regressed to 5th place the next season. When Jose took over from LVG he took us too 6th place in his first season. He has never yet finished above LVG and only a place above Moyes as yet so this idea he has massively improved us is pure fiction.

You kind of gloss over the whole "Europa League Cup Win" thing in your analysis of Jose's season last season there. Jose's goal for his first season was to get us back into the Champions League. He did so, and won a trophy in the process (glossing over the other cup he won too).

Our league position was disappointing last year, but was also indicative of the fact he gave up on the league for the last few games to focus on the Europa League. A move that paid off too.

So yeah, I'd consider where Jose finished with us last season overall better than what LVG and Moyes achieved in any of their seasons tbh.
    The football may be better this season under Jose, thats very subjective though. LVG always had us playing well against the top 6, he had a tactical plan for each. Jose has us parking the bus away at Anfield and home to City winning neither matches.

I feel sometimes as if people mix up the terms "park the bus" and "counter attacking football". Jose clearly hoped against Pool to sit deep and hit them on the counter, in a bid to make sure they couldn't hit US on the counter. Any team that rocks up to Anfield (with the exception of City) and plays a high line gets mauled. I've said plenty, I have zero problems with the tactics that day at Anfield. Yes, the counter attacks constantly broke down; I've seen nothing since that shows these players are actually capable of hitting a team on the counter. That doesn't mean it was the wrong idea, tactically, to try and play to their biggest weakness.

Likewise with City, he set us up as the underdogs. Because, frankly, we were. And still City had to rely on two lucky defensive errors to beat us.

Meanwhile, we beat Spurs by playing attacking football. We beat Arsenal. We tried to play good football against Chelsea and got torn up.

Which really goes back to what I've said before; we're still lacking players capable of actually competing with the top six in a match, realistically. We're missing the characters, and have weaknesses in several positions, that he clearly wants to keep working on fixing.
    Jose has spent close to 300m and we are possibly 15 pts behind City today and the league is over and its not even January. CIty have been amazing but the gap should not be 15 pts, it should be 5pts with some of the matches we let slip. Its simply not good enough.

What in recent times makes you think these players are capable of going 17 wins out of 20? How can anyone look at what the core of players there have done in recent times and think we're capable of keeping up with an absolutely historic City run?

I'm very happy with who he has brought in and if he keeps bringing in that level of player, then the "glory days" will return. But it's spoiled, and unjustifiably so, to think that we were going to make some wild jump from battling for top four to keeping up with an absolutely crazy run from City.

Which, of course, also needs to be taken on board . . . if City weren't having the crazy year they are, we'd still be in the title race. If City weren't on, what, a 17 game win streak? We look "poor" in comparison to them, which is utterly unfair on Jose and the team. We're judging his performance against a team thats two years further along the path we're going, and getting annoyed we haven't kept pace. Yeah, there's still damage being repaired. It's mindboggling that people can't look at things in the context of how we've been preforming for the last few years, seperate from City, and go "Actually, we've improved massively. There's still issues, sure. But we are moving in the right direction."

rob316 wrote: »
    Weird your going through my other posts but ok...

Also advocating a record fee for a centre back.

Not weird at all. Didn’t recognize your username at all. Had some exchanges with you on the Utd thread. Some of your opinions seemed like they weren’t really impartial so I checked to see who I was dealing with before engaging further. Took 30 seconds.

So anyway glad to see you admitting your hypocrisy.

Actually there is a sort of bonus for beating the big teams when in a title fight with them, had we beat City at home the gap would have been 5 points, instead it went to 11 in City's favor.

You do understand the difference between beating title rivals and small teams right?

Oh and were not not beating the small teams right now under Jose, see Leicester, Burnley and Bristol City. You know that right?

Yes. I thought my answer made that clear. Lets try something else then.

*Generally at this half way point you have played every other team once so lets see how things work out.

After 20 games

LVG - 14/15: W10 D7 L3 14GD 37pts
    LVG - 15/16: W9 D6 L5 7GD 33pts
    MOU - 16/17: W11 D6 L3 12GD 39pts
    MOU - 17/18: W13 D4 L3 27GD 43pts

Yet we were better under LVG because of "big six" wins? The official table suggests you can be better off overall if you actually beat the small teams. Despite "parking the bus" Jose won more matches than LVG did.

I really think I need to familiarise myself with these alternative tables. The official table doesnt seem to be recognised anymore.

Where to start with this post, so much rose tinted view points and false assumtions.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    You kind of gloss over the whole "Europa League Cup Win" thing in your analysis of Jose's season last season there. Jose's goal for his first season was to get us back into the Champions League. He did so, and won a trophy in the process (glossing over the other cup he won too).

Our league position was disappointing last year, but was also indicative of the fact he gave up on the league for the last few games to focus on the Europa League. A move that paid off too.

So yeah, I'd consider where Jose finished with us last season overall better than what LVG and Moyes achieved in any of their seasons tbh.

I feel sometimes as if people mix up the terms "park the bus" and "counter attacking football". Jose clearly hoped against Pool to sit deep and hit them on the counter, in a bid to make sure they couldn't hit US on the counter. Any team that rocks up to Anfield (with the exception of City) and plays a high line gets mauled. I've said plenty, I have zero problems with the tactics that day at Anfield. Yes, the counter attacks constantly broke down; I've seen nothing since that shows these players are actually capable of hitting a team on the counter. That doesn't mean it was the wrong idea, tactically, to try and play to their biggest weakness.

Likewise with City, he set us up as the underdogs. Because, frankly, we were. And still City had to rely on two lucky defensive errors to beat us.

Meanwhile, we beat Spurs by playing attacking football. We beat Arsenal. We tried to play good football against Chelsea and got torn up.

Which really goes back to what I've said before; we're still lacking players capable of actually competing with the top six in a match, realistically. We're missing the characters, and have weaknesses in several positions, that he clearly wants to keep working on fixing.

What in recent times makes you think these players are capable of going 17 wins out of 20? How can anyone look at what the core of players there have done in recent times and think we're capable of keeping up with an absolutely historic City run?

I'm very happy with who he has brought in and if he keeps bringing in that level of player, then the "glory days" will return. But it's spoiled, and unjustifiably so, to think that we were going to make some wild jump from battling for top four to keeping up with an absolutely crazy run from City.

Which, of course, also needs to be taken on board . . . if City weren't having the crazy year they are, we'd still be in the title race. If City weren't on, what, a 17 game win streak? We look "poor" in comparison to them, which is utterly unfair on Jose and the team. We're judging his performance against a team thats two years further along the path we're going, and getting annoyed we haven't kept pace. Yeah, there's still damage being repaired. It's mindboggling that people can't look at things in the context of how we've been preforming for the last few years, seperate from City, and go "Actually, we've improved massively. There's still issues, sure. But we are moving in the right direction."

this for starters
    "you kind of gloss over the whole "Europa League Cup Win" thing in your analysis of Jose's season last season there. "

No I didn't, I'm well aware we won the EL. I was talking about league form compared to LVG and Moyes due to our own poor recent league form. You never mentioned LVGs FA cup win or Moyes getting us to the UCL QF, were you glossing over this or were we talking league? Also if you want to count the other cup, the Carabao Cup i presume you mean lets thrown in Moyes community shield while were at it, just as prestigious.
    "but was also indicative of the fact he gave up on the league for the last few games to focus on the Europa League."

Rubbish. Jose gave up on the league when it was clear we were not going to make fourth. Pure spin from you here. Jose couldn't get us to fourth in his first season, LVG did.

As for Jose setting us up as underdogs against City, why the hell should we be underdogs to City? His plan was to let them come to Old Trafford and dominate us from start to finish, shocking. Our counter attacks consisted of long balls to Lukaku which came to nothing. It was a tactical disaster......

.....and again your being very dishonest or looking through rose tinted glasses to say it took "too defensive mistakes for City to beat us". City could have had 5 or 6, they were all over us, we only got our goal from a defensive mistake. We were never in that game and your trying to make it sound like City got lucky.

Speaking of defensive mistakes, why can't Jose, the master of defense, coach the tallest team in the league to stop conceding sloppy goals on corners and set pieces?

What in recent times makes you think these players are capable of going 17 wins out of 20?

Youv'e asked this many times now, who said we are looking for a historic run? we are looking to compete in a league title, thats over now. City barring a disaster have won it, in December. Thats not good enough.

This historic streak you keep mentioning would have never have been had we beaten City at home. Instead Jose set us up to let them play freely. KDB was at times taking the ball from his half to our box unchallenged we were sitting so deep. It was a terrible game plan from Jose.

If we tried to win that game and had beaten Leicester and Burnley, which we are expected to do, the gap would be five points going into the new year. We would have been in the league race, anything could have happened with injuries etc and we may have had a chance. That's what people expect, instead since the City game our from has nose dived and teams like Bristol deservedly beat us.

Jose started this season well and it looked like we were on the right track, but no, things have derailed since then and Jose is getting plenty of well justified criticism.

*Generally at this half way point you have played every other team once so lets see how things work out.

After 20 games

Yet we were better under LVG because of "big six" wins? The official table suggests you can be better off overall if you actually beat the small teams. Despite "parking the bus" Jose won more matches than LVG did.

I really think I need to familiarise myself with these alternative tables. The official table doesn't seem to be recognised anymore.

Nice response. Pity that I never said we were better under LVG because of wins against the big six so you wasted your time because you misunderstood that basic argument.

I said at least against the big six LVG put up a fight and I argued against Lords position that we are improved and heading in the right direction under Jose. Jose so far has finished below LVG in the table and has not beaten LVGs top points tally as of yet but your nice cherry picked halfway points table says otherwise right so were all good? well if you ignore that the league is over already and were playing poorly against non big six teams now (btw i said top six first but we'll go with big 6 if you like).

PLus your reply didn't address the difference between beating a rival and a smlll team, you just posted a halfway table instead? Let me try explain it another way then

If Utd were 3 pts ahead of City and played them and won, the gap goes to 6pts, if we play a small team when ahead 3 pts and not City the gap stays at 3pts if City also win.

When we played city at OT we had the were 8pts behind, had we won it would have been 5pts, instead it went to 11 in citys favor. The importance of trying to beat a top 6 rival is very critical. LVG and Pep get this fact that you have a chance to make more ground.

Its basic math really when playing a top rival you can stop them getting three points and gain three points on them at the SAME time. You can't do that when they are playing someone else. Get it?

• Advertisement

After 20 games

I really think I need to familiarise myself with these alternative tables. The official table doesnt seem to be recognised anymore.

So I read something on Reddit but want to check first. Out of interest, where are you getting the points like that? Cause I'd love to go back over some of Fergie prior seasons too...

So I read something on Reddit but want to check first. Out of interest, where are you getting the points like that? Cause I'd love to go back over some of Fergie prior seasons too...

The official premier league website.

Nice response. Pity that I never said we were better under LVG because of wins against the big six so you wasted your time because you misunderstood that basic argument.

I said at least against the big six LVG put up a fight and I argued against Lords position that we are improved and heading in the right direction under Jose. ONE: Jose so far has finished below LVG in the table and has not beaten LVGs top points tally as of yet but your nice cherry picked halfway points table says otherwise right so were all good? well if you ignore that the league is over already and were playing poorly against non big six teams now (btw i said top six first but we'll go with big 6 if you like).

PLus your reply didn't address the difference between beating a rival and a smlll team, you just posted a halfway table instead? Let me try explain it another way then

If Utd were 3 pts ahead of City and played them and won, the gap goes to 6pts, if we play a small team when ahead 3 pts and not City the gap stays at 3pts if City also win.

When we played city at OT we had the were 8pts behind, had we won it would have been 5pts, instead it went to 11 in citys favor. The importance of trying to beat a top 6 rival is very critical. LVG and Pep get this fact that you have a chance to make more ground.

Its basic math really when playing a top rival you can stop them getting three points and gain three points on them at the SAME time. You can't do that when they are playing someone else. Get it?

One: Well Jose only has one season to really use. His 16/17 total of 69pts beats LVG's total of 66pts. LVG's debut season of 70pts is a benchmark so.

You seem to take issue with me only using the halfway point? Thats odd. The current discussions tend to resolve around the current season. You surely realise you can't compare this years 20 games to the previous seasons 38 games? Therefore you equal the standard and compare the table at this point in time to the tables when they were at this stage. This is our best season. We are improving. Or do you have one of those alternative tables?

The league is over? What do you want us to do with that? Taking 3 points off city wouldn't have put us above them. They'd still be leading well ahead of everyone.
    Youv'e asked this many times now, who said we are looking for a historic run? we are looking to compete in a league title, thats over now. City barring a disaster have won it, in December. Thats not good enough.

This historic streak you keep mentioning would have never have been had we beaten City at home. Instead Jose set us up to let them play freely. KDB was at times taking the ball from his half to our box unchallenged we were sitting so deep. It was a terrible game plan from Jose.

I'll be nice lets assume we beat City (and they beat Newcastle in a few hours) they'd have 55pts after 20 games.

17/18 City 55pts
    16/17 Chelsea 49pts
    15/16 Arsenal 42pts
    14/15 City & Chelsea 46pts
    13/14 Arsenal 45pts
    12/13 Utd 49 pts

So even if we did beat them, City would still have a unparralleled historic pts total. Its not them beating us that put them in 1st.

One: Well Jose only has one season to really use. His 16/17 total of 69pts beats LVG's total of 66pts. LVG's debut season of 70pts is a benchmark so.

You seem to take issue with me only using the halfway point? Thats odd. The current discussions tend to resolve around the current season. You surely realise you can't compare this years 20 games to the previous seasons 38 games? Therefore you equal the standard and compare the table at this point in time to the tables when they were at this stage. This is our best season. We are improving. Or do you have one of those alternative tables?

The league is over? What do you want us to do with that? Taking 3 points off city wouldn't have put us above them. They'd still be leading well ahead of everyone.

I'll be nice lets assume we beat City (and they beat Newcastle in a few hours) they'd have 55pts after 20 games.

17/18 City 55pts
    16/17 Chelsea 49pts
    15/16 Arsenal 42pts
    14/15 City & Chelsea 46pts
    13/14 Arsenal 45pts
    12/13 Utd 49 pts

So even if we did beat them, City would still have a unparralleled historic pts total. Its not them beating us that put them in 1st.

LVG had us in 4th on 70pts in first season, so you can equally compare Jose's one season or first to LVGs first season and it was a regression.

The rest of your post is bizarre, I don't have an issue with you using a halfway table, I just think its weird and pointless as that wasn't the original argument. I said LVG did better against top six and has so far had a better league finish than Jose. I don't know how you got from that to halfway tables and talk of alternate tables?

The alternate table you just did for City was again weird, yes beating them would have not put us or anyone ahead of them, I wasn't making that claim and don't know where you got it?

As i stated it would have made the gap 5 pts instead of 11pts and winning our subsequent league games would have kept us at 5pts, meaning we are in a title race.

You seem determined to argue points Im not even making, good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Chris Smalling hurts his groin. Ten minutes later it leads to United conceding and throwing away a good result. A few days later and people are now trying to claim that things haven't improved since the LVG ****show.

Because its Christmas I'll charitably assume that nobody actually believes any of that bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Van Gaal is clearly not the stick to beat Jose with.

I see Liverpool have agreed a world record fee for a defender. Hugely overpaying but it’s what they need to totally understandable.

Point is, Jose’s £286 million not being enough comment will seem nothing out of the ordinary very soon.

Hopefully we have some signings lined up.

Transfer values are meaningless. All "value" is relative now. A price is plucked outta someones arse and the only question is how desperate are the buying club.

Chris Smalling hurts his groin. Ten minutes later it leads to United conceding and throwing away a good result. A few days later and people are now trying to claim that things haven't improved since the LVG ****show.

Because its Christmas I'll charitably assume that nobody actually believes any of that bull****.

Yes, this is exactly what people are claiming :rolleyes:

I'll be charitable and ignore this tosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This forum has got very Snooty in the last few months. Lots of people misrepresenting other posters opinions and then declaring that they are too cool for school to discuss it any longer.

I have gone from loving Jose to just being bored of him. I’m not to blame for that, he is. I doubt I will have to put up with it much longer as PSG or even Real Madrid will be flirting with him in the Summer and he will likely go. Honestly don’t think there is a manager available to guarantee us to be better but he is not going to last if he keeps up his comments about players and expenditure. It’s like he is trying to provoke everyone.

I wondered what the odds are on Brendan Rodgers being the next United manager?

• Assuming it's not safe to come back yet?
    Or is anyone actually talking logically and not just hyperbolic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Van Dijk for 75m lol

We got Lukaku for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mourinho will lose his **** altogether now, Liverpool paying striker money for a defender!!!!

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Van Dijk for 75m lol

We got Lukaku for that!

In fairness he has a better scoring record against the top sides than Lukaku.

• niallo27 wrote: »

Does he? I'd be interested to see you pull the stat just for lolz

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does he? I'd be interested to see you pull the stat just for lolz

Ah Mick don’t encourage him ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

niallo27 wrote: »

hhn.gif

Assuming it's not safe to come back yet?
    Or is anyone actually talking logically and not just hyperbolic?

What would you class the “Assuming it's not safe to come back yet?” comment?

Irony much?

GSPfan wrote: »
    This forum has got very Snooty in the last few months. Lots of people misrepresenting other posters opinions and then declaring that they are too cool for school to discuss it any longer.

I have gone from loving Jose to just being bored of him. I’m not to blame for that, he is. I doubt I will have to put up with it much longer as PSG or even Real Madrid will be flirting with him in the Summer and he will likely go. Honestly don’t think there is a manager available to guarantee us to be better but he is not going to last if he keeps up his comments about players and expenditure. It’s like he is trying to provoke everyone.

I wondered what the odds are on Brendan Rodgers being the next United manager?

Spot on. I remember getting called a Moyes and LVG fanboy for sticking up for overly harsh criticism of them but funnily enough it seems criticising Jose is a no no now as he is a wonderful manager

The misrepresenting of what posters say it very petty and childish, it seems like no criticism is tolerable.

Jose again is making silly comments about 300m not being enough, in fairness the guy has got an ego that makes him seem very bitter and silly at times. Hey Jose, 300m should mean you can beat Bristol and Burnley at home with 4 of their first choice back 5 unavailable and have a plan b besides parking the bus against tougher sides.

His inability to admit mistakes and look at his own faults is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

£75million for VVD :eek:
    I have a feeling certain fans will be very quiet about fees United paid recently.

• adox wrote: »
    Ah Mick don’t encourage him ffs.

Tbf I know he's only having the bantz. Actually like Niallo. Just a bit deluded about Liverpool and he hates Utd / Jose but no harm!
    At least he isn't sneaky about it like some tend to be.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    What would you class the “Assuming it's not safe to come back yet?” comment?

Irony much?

I'd class it as a question. And you kinda have provided the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have a feeling certain fans will be very quiet about fees United paid recently.

it'll be back to net spend once coutinho finalises his transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

yabadabado wrote: »

Good defender but is he world class? I'm not convinced yet.

This will be the first time he will be at a relatively big club. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Rossi IRL wrote: »

This will be the first time he will be at a relatively big club. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to the pressure.

Hopefully half as good as Lovren :)

I'd class it as a question. And you kinda have provided the answer.

Don’t blame me for catching you doing the thing you tried to take the piss out of.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Don’t blame me for catching you doing the thing you tried to take the piss out of.

I'm not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rossi IRL wrote: »

He is a good defender but not world class.
    Like most defensive players at that club will be exposed by the set up. Still a good step up in quality.

Anyone who thinks Pogba or Lukaku's prices are extraordinary should just remember the prices players have gone for since they joined. £75m for Van Dijk is ludicrous. The irony, as well, is that Klopp was meant to be a manager capable of uncovering hidden gems and keeping costs down, only to have to start spending massive numbers to get back into the top four race....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Klopp is not a chequebook manager however, who regardless of the player will not pay an inflated fee.

Delighted he is costing them so much, spending that Coutinho money already. That's about it though, doesn't register for me as something to worry about.

Some backtracking going on on my Facebook though from a pool fan who went nuts when he became convinced VVD was going to City :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks Pogba or Lukaku's prices are extraordinary should just remember the prices players have gone for since they joined. £75m for Van Dijk is ludicrous. The irony, as well, is that Klopp was meant to be a manager capable of uncovering hidden gems and keeping costs down, only to have to start spending massive numbers to get back into the top four race....

Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp will be very hypocritical if they don’t mention it in every game he is not amazing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not a cheque book manager, breaks the club's transfer record 3 times in less than a year.

Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

GSPfan wrote: »
    Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp will be very hypocritical if they don’t mention it in every game he is not amazing in.

Those two? Hypocritical? Never :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

"Back into the top four race" have a look at the table mate they are 4th already, this signing will help solidify that. Will he solve the defensive errors ? no chance but he is a far better option than Klavin or Lovren and he will make a difference.

Yes the money is crazy but that's the world we are living in now just look at the TV money that the Clubs are getting now and what they will get over the next few years.

Your snarcy remark about Klopp not been able to find a player at relatively low prices is frankly ridiculous, have a look at what they paid for Firmino, Mane and Salah

This all comes across very bitter which is not like your usual posting style.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement