Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Zlatan & Martial are grand replacements for Lukuka. I'd be more worried about getting a right winger and or a centre midfielder in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Will you revisit if he is not at PSG in August to reassess other assumptions?

100%. Remind me will ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

So match day. I’m blindly optimistic and at the same time very wary after the last week Utd have had.

I’ve watched Southampton a couple of times lately and they’ve looked awful. Surely we can beat them at Old Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

adox wrote: »
    So match day. I’m blindly optimistic and at the same time very wary after the last week Utd have had.

I’ve watched Southampton a couple of times lately and they’ve looked awful. Surely we can beat them at Old Trafford?

Hope so I've them picked in a Last Man. Southampton were terrible v. Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get back to winning ways today I think.

expect us to score 3 goals too if we play anywhere decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Everyone saying we need a right winger, Jose was trying to sign a left winger during the summer and that area is still a priority for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What’s the word on Martial? Is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fair point post deleted. Nice to see people are getting the whinging done pre match. Might make post match more bearable.

I'd echo what adox said. Southampton have been a mess. Pellegrino has been chopping and changing his defence and the teams tactics regularly. Be nice to go back to the early days and get 4 goals again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Was asking this last week. The fact hes's not even in the squad can only assume so.

or maybe jose's punishing him for his choice of xmas socks at the united xmas party

• Advertisement

Dunno why he was missing the last game and didn’t hear anything about it lost match.

Edit: didn’t realize he’s not in the squad again. That’s very disappointing whatever the reason.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/28/anthony-martial-returns-manchester-united-training-ahead-southampton-clash-7188707/

French papers said he had a knee injury, back training so should be fit for tonight!

I wonder if any journalist asked about Martial in the press conference? Or do they ask about injuries anymore? Seems like only utter ****e comes out of these press conferences nowadays.

Fergie used to go through the whole injury list at the beginning of his press conferences.

pjohnson wrote: »
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/28/anthony-martial-returns-manchester-united-training-ahead-southampton-clash-7188707/

French papers said he had a knee injury, back training so should be fit for tonight!

IIRC jose already stated he won't be playing

Arsé didnt know he was out AGAIN.

Hoping for an adventurous performance with a 2 to 3 goal winning margin but expecting a professional controlled 1 to 2 goal win to get back to winning ways.

Don’t even want to contemplate a draw or a loss at home to a crap Southampton team.

• Advertisement

Actually MEN reporting that he’s in the match day squad after an unspecified injury earlier. Axel also in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Posts deleted. If you take issue with someone and think they are attacking you personally then report it and let the mods deal with it. Do not reply on thread! Likewise if you disagree with a posters points then by all means argue it out but keep the personal attacks out of it. Any more of this and cards will handed out

Actually MEN reporting that he’s in the match day squad after an unspecified injury earlier. Axel also in the squad.

Why the shít isn't Rojo suspended either?

Shaw start left back again anyway I'd say. Young right

I wonder if any journalist asked about Martial in the press conference? Or do they ask about injuries anymore? Seems like only utter ****e comes out of these press conferences nowadays.

Fergie used to go through the whole injury list at the beginning of his press conferences.

Yep I was only on twitter earlier giving out about the standard of soccer journalism in the UK papers. It was in response to the Mail post a picture of Pogba stoped in his car on the way out of training with the window down signing autographs. Of course this wasn’t even mentioned. They were reporting on his “outrageous” snakeskin and fur lined coat!! Imagine wearing a coat in this weather!!

The foreign and amateur press offer a lot more insight and discuss football more.
    Only yesterday I was having an exchange with Ollie Holt about his lazy soundbites and stereotype headlines about Jose.

It’s awful stuff altogether. Tabloids indeed.

• Advertisement

Why the shít isn't Rojo suspended either?

That's odd as the cut off date for yellows is tomorrow and he has 5

Why the shisn't Rojo suspended either?

I thought he was after his last card? Anyway hopefully he isn’t a starter.

I thought he was after his last card? Anyway hopefully he isn’t a starter.

5 yellows should suspend him but nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

limnam wrote: »
    That's odd as the cut off date for yellows is tomorrow and he has 5

Its tomorrow or 19 games, he got his 5th yellow in the 20th game.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Its tomorrow or 19 games, he got his 5th yellow in the 20th game.

Ah ha

makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Right lads,Ive brought in Otamendi and Sterling to join KDB in my fantasy football team

Sit back now and watch Citys season fall apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think we need to play 352 consistently.

.................. De Gea.
    ...... Bailly... Lindelof... Rojo
    Valencia.......................... Young
    ............ Matic... Pogba
    ................... Lingard
    ............ Lukaku... Martial.

Lingard for Mata, maybe, Rashford for Martial another. Could maybe look at blind for Rojo. Lindelof and blind passing from the back would be important. Martial or Rashford up top alongside Lukaku is vital, imo. We need someone working directly with Lukaku. Need to share that load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

352 wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the 2 wing backs are pushed right up at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Didn't we stumble on a 4-3-3 formation recently which yielded some good performances?

Didn't we stumble on a 4-3-3 formation recently which yielded some good performances?

At the start of the season we were looking good on a 4231 formation.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    352 wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the 2 wing backs are pushed right up at every opportunity.

Yep, and one of the centre backs would need the freedom and ability to carry the ball into midfield. Lindelof is a great passer, so would be my gp to there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Phil Jones

Marcos Rojo

Axel Tuanzebe

Victor Lindelof

Ashley Young

Daley Blind

Nemanja Matic

Paul Pogba

Jesse Lingard

Juan Mata

Marcus Rashford

Romelu Lukaku

Anthony Martial

List from men so some players that weren't at the hotel will probably be also in squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yep, and one of the centre backs would need the freedom and ability to carry the ball into midfield. Lindelof is a great passer, so would be my gp to there.
    Yeah Lindeof would be the best option for that role and after a shakey start I thought looked good lately.

Ya Jose just reached that chapter on coaching for dummies can't wait till he finishes it to see what else we stumble across

Sarcasm is a great conversation killer.

Hopefully Shaw gets another 90 mins tonight! Hes been doing well

Hopefully Shaw gets another 90 mins tonight! Hes been doing well

Yep delighted for him. Long may his run continue.

Chelsea rampant.

Adds a bit more pressure later.

Hopefully it focus's them a bit

Think we need to play 352 consistently.

.................. De Gea.
    ...... Bailly... Lindelof... Rojo
    Valencia.......................... Young
    ............ Matic... Pogba
    ................... Lingard
    ............ Lukaku... Martial.

Lingard for Mata, maybe, Rashford for Martial another. Could maybe look at blind for Rojo. Lindelof and blind passing from the back would be important. Martial or Rashford up top alongside Lukaku is vital, imo. We need someone working directly with Lukaku. Need to share that load.
    Whole club sorted! Let’s get rid of José and put Mitch in charge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Anyways we played the 433 last season mainly when we had Fellaini available and was mainly against high press teams and used the formation to bypass the press..

Jose hardly “stumbled” across it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Completely forgot Chelsea signed Drinkwater.

astradave wrote: »
    Anyways we played the 433 last season mainly when we had Fellaini available and was mainly against high press teams and used the formation to bypass the press..

Jose hardly “stumbled” across it

It fits the agenda. One of most successful managers in football stumbles on a formation.

Surely the biggest "stumble upon" in recent years has to be LVG promoting Rashford!

That was a very happy little accident!

Surely the biggest "stumble upon" in recent years has to be LVG promoting Rashford!

Now that's a great example of a stumble upon.

Every footballer ever was stumbled upon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There were, what, seven strikers or alternatives out for Rashford to appear?

Martial, Rooney, DiMaria, Memphis, Young, Fellaini, Wilson? All appeared up front that season iirc.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There were, what, seven strikers or alternatives out for Rashford to appear?

Martial, Rooney, DiMaria, Memphis, Young, Fellaini, Wilson? All appeared up front that season iirc.

Even Will Keane injured himself to be unavailable for the Europa match. Hence we had to turn to the U18's. I think Rashford had only made his Under-21 debut the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

J. Marston wrote: »
    Completely forgot Chelsea signed Drinkwater.

You werent the only one :D

433 would be my preferred formation for this squad. Also I certainly wouldn’t have Rojo in the defence as a starter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement