Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We were just outclassed and out fought. We gave it our best but there just better than us.

It's just now about making sure we solidify 2nd place.

Surely can't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

limnam wrote: »
    Really.

If you had any credibility around here from anyone. It's just left the building.

Are you serious? They're away from home with a one goal lead in a game they don't even need to win against their closest challengers, why wouldn't they make defensive changes?
    So its poor and giving up the game when Jose does it but when its pep its game management gotcha

Mourinho does it from minute 1 when the score is 0-0 and keeps it up for most of the game. Pep did it when a goal up, in the second half, away from home when even a draw would be a result for them. Even then, Pep's defensive changes didn't quite result in the backs to the wall defending and long balls we saw from United in the first half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Like, I get Lukaku is being focused on cause he's the big money signing and he was very visible today.

How often does Rashford cross in to him? How often did Martial get a ball in for someone, anyone, to attack? Lingard? Herrera? It feels like the focus is on Lukaku cause he was actually trying to do something and failing, whereas the players who were utterly anonymous and barely broke a sweat are being utterly ignored.

I don't believe any striker in the world would have had much of a game today with the service he was getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

This wasn't anything surprising though really was it? Most of us had written this off after Pogba's red last week.

We were our longest odds to win in Old Trafford in the Premier League era today and with good reason. We're a midtable standard side at best when Pogba and Fellaini are out.

I can see why Mourinho might leave due to boardroom recruiting incompetence tbh. No Pogba and we're ****ed basically and our best striker is 36 coming off a torn ACL. They say you build good teams through the spine, we're the opposite of that. Loads of good wingers, no strikers, no midfielders not named Paul Pogba.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Surely can't be serious.

In the last four years, we finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th.

A dominating second place, which is what we are on track for at the moment, but would a massive, massive result for us, realistically speaking. Yeah, everyone wants to win the league but don't dismiss second cause if you are, you're showing how utterly spoiled you are and not justifiably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Like, I get Lukaku is being focused on cause he's the big money signing and he was very visible today.

How often does Rashford cross in to him? How often did Martial get a ball in for someone, anyone, to attack? Lingard? Herrera? It feels like the focus is on Lukaku cause he was actually trying to do something and failing, whereas the players who were utterly anonymous and barely broke a sweat are being utterly ignored.

I don't believe any striker in the world would have had much of a game today with the service he was getting.
    The focus is on him because he was shocking in his own box as well as the opposition box. He has been poor going forward for a while, but today he actively contributed to the loss, which sharpens the focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Are you serious? They're away from home with a one goal lead in a game they don't even need to win against their closest challengers, why wouldn't make defensive changes?

You've been whining non bloody stop about Jose doing this.

Now it;s game management.

What you're doing is obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Reactionaries? He has one league goal in the last two and a half months, the fourth goal in a hammering of Newcastle. His other goal in that time-frame was against CSKA in a CL dead rubber match.

How long do crap performances have to last before it's not considered reactionary?

spiralism wrote: »
    This wasn't anything surprising though really was it? Most of us had written this off after Pogba's red last week.

We were our longest odds to win in Old Trafford in the Premier League era today and with good reason. We're a midtable standard side at best when Pogba and Fellaini are out.

I can see why Mourinho might leave due to boardroom recruiting incompetence tbh. No Pogba and we're ****ed basically and our best striker is 36 coming off a torn ACL. They say you build good teams through the spine, we're the opposite of that. Loads of good wingers, no strikers, no midfielders not named Paul Pogba.

One loss and the Sky is falling

Seriously.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Thats the managers fault that he has us set up so defensively

His hold up play for a big man is quite bad and he isn't great at bringing others into the game. While I thought he was woeful today that's not to say he has been all season. If United are going to setup defensively in big games then he has to do that job of holding onto the ball and if he can't I'd gladly see him dropped in the bigger games in the future.

Also he seems quite panicked in the bigger games bad touches that are easy just lacks the composure he shows in the other games. Maybe this is a bias of mine im not sure but there you go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

City didnt even have to fight to get a foot hold in the game today,Utd just kept giving the ball away over and over again in the first half and really against a team like City with the players they have you are always going to be in trouble

Im still convinced that Citys defence is there to be taken,lucky for them though they dont get exposed much as the lads in front of them just dont give the ball away and work hard to get it back when they do lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Yeah because dropping your number 1 striker is going to build confience.

He scored 4 bloody days ago.

Stop talking rubbish.

Who is talking rubbish? He has played every single minute this season. He is our number one striker but when the confidence is down which it has been over the last number of games management needs to make a call. Other managers would have made this call well before this game.

One loss and the Sky is falling

Seriously.

:rolleyes:

Well it's the title gone for certain, to them, the team of Bertie Magoo and Curly Watts. Of course people are annoyed. There was a depressing air of inevitability to it too.

I mean, great, we're on course for our best league finish in a few years but we're gonna win **** all. Christ, we're starting to sound like the scousers.

At this stage, ill be happy to not see city win the champions league. Between this and the national team, this season is ****ing depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We were just outclassed and out fought. We gave it our best but there just better than us.

It's just now about making sure we solidify 2nd place.

I dont think Utd did give it their best. Stood off the City players and let them pick their men out at will.

Look City are a better team than Utd but I don’t think Utd left everyth8ng out there today.

• Advertisement

In the last four years, we finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th.

A dominating second place, which is what we are on track for at the moment, but would a massive, massive result for us, realistically speaking. Yeah, everyone wants to win the league but don't dismiss second cause if you are, you're showing how utterly spoiled you are and not justifiably so.

No it isn't a massive result. 17th is as good as second. I would argue your expectations as far too low and that attitude is one I hope isn't at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lukaku obviously had a poor game and I'm sure he'll find his form again but my god he needs to work on his first touch, its absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

adox wrote: »
    The MF was mostly vacated. When City had the ball they could stroll up to the edge of the box unchallenged. That’s where the main problem is in the team. You just can’t give that anmount of space and time to any team let alone City. It’s great and all playing lots of attacking players but like it’s no use if you can’t get the ball.
    This

My biggest concern coming out of the game is that we continue to seem completely unbalanced.

Herrera and Matic were often passing it in little triangles with a centre back between our box and the centre circle with no option to bring the ball forward.

We've made some excellent progress since José started but we still feel like we are a little more than one or two players away from getting to where we want to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jose is my scapegoat today. He set up the team to lump it long. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever described a United performance as embarrassing before but today was embarrassing.

Lukaku was as bad today as he has been for the last 10 games so not much to say on him.

Ander Herrera annoys the shiite out of me. He is useless this season and just infuriates me with his constant fouling and misplaced passes. He needs to shut up, stop trying to get everyone booked, and concentrate on the bleedin game.

We can sign a whole new team in January but why bother when Jose sets a team up like that. We were doing great with the 3412 formation the last few games and he completely bottles it and goes 442 with Lingard up front. Ugh.

You've been whining non bloody stop about Jose doing this.

Now it;s game management.

What you're doing is obvious.

You're utterly deluded if you think what we saw from City when they went 2-1 up today was the same as the backs to the wall hoofball we saw from United in the first half and against Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

City looked for goals, as they always do, they got them and protected their lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No it isn't a massive result. 17th is as good as second.I would argue your expectations as far too low and that attitude is one I hope isn't at OT.

Well I certainly hope that attitude isn’t around Old Trafford

I don't believe that we were outclassed either. City created relatively little, Arsenal were far more creative for example.

We are just missing a bit in midfield, our wingers are still developing (they will be great) and out big money striker is off form, but we still could have drawn the game easily enough.

No it isn't a massive result. 17th is as good as second. I would argue your expectations as far too low and that attitude is one I hope isn't at OT.

There needs to be two united threads.

one for the kids to play and one for the adults.

Would you ever stop talking nonsense.

2nd brings in a hell of a lot more money than 17th.

You go straight into the CL etc

This second is last is great for quote grabbing but to have it in a civilized conversation is just retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Also Herrera can **** off at this stage, he's been brutal this season and I'm sick to death of his constant fouling and diving.

astradave wrote: »

Good for you. Just as many trophies for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jose is my scapegoat today. He set up the team to lump it long. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever described a United performance as embarrassing before but today was embarrassing.

Lukaku was as bad today as he has been for the last 10 games so not much to say on him.

Ander Herrera annoys the shiite out of me. He is useless this season and just infuriates me with his constant fouling and misplaced passes. He needs to shut up, stop trying to get everyone booked, and concentrate on the bleedin game.

We can sign a whole new team in January but why bother when Jose sets a team up like that. We were doing great with the 3412 formation the last few games and he completely bottles it and goes 442 with Lingard up front. Ugh.

Liverpool away was worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Didn't have a lot of confidence once Pogba got suspended, fully expect City to run away with the league now by a big margin

City totally deserved the win tbh but is anyone surprised? We're so reliant on Pogba it's painful. Everyone knew what a Herrera and Matic double pivot against City would mean, given that Huddersfield ran rings around us and we struggled to break down the worst champions league side in history with the same setup.

City looked for goals, as they always do, they got them and protected their lead.

If I change City to united in the games you were in here crying about it's the same

but pep's a genuis and jose's a clown.

As I said we need two united threads badly one for the grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Anyone see Klopp's post match interview?? Jose would be on all the headlines if he did what Klopp did

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Also Herrera can **** off at this stage, he's been brutal this season and I'm sick to death of his constant fouling and diving.

Lot of rumours that he's fallen out quite badly with Jose. Definitely would explain quite a bit.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jaysus, will you catch a hold of yerself ffs. Embarrassing indeed.

There needs to be two united threads.

one for the kids to play and one for the adults.

Would you ever stop talking nonsense.

2nd brings in a hell of a lot more money than 17th.

You go straight into the CL etc

This second is last is great for quote grabbing but to have it in a civilized conversation is just retarded.

You know well what I meant. Head off if you're going to make stupid insults.

Jaysus, will you catch a hold of yerself ffs. Embarrassing indeed.

The first half was pretty embarrassing.

I don't think many would argue otherwise

we looked more like Stoke on an off day than we looked like united

astradave wrote: »

****ing Ricky Bobby. If you ain't first you're last.

****ing Ricky Bobby. If you ain't first you're last.

Yep exactly.

If I change City to united in the games you were in here crying about it's the same

but pep's a genuis and jose's a clown.

As I said we need two united threads badly one for the grown ups.

What? City comfortably beat Chelsea and crushed Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Just not as good a team as City in all areas really but Utd didnt play well today either. City didnt let them really but Utd didnt get close enough to them. Matic clearly not fit and Herrera is just a little p...k.

Lukaku is extremely poor but he gets no support and he never gets the ball in behind people. But the positions he takes up are just wrong - hes not a natural striker at all. But Rashford and Martial were terrible too.

City have Silva and deBruyne, you would love to have either of them.

They will lose a couple of games, of course they will, but they will win the league by March.

I thought City only played in third gear for large parts of the game but yet kept the ball with ease. That’s the most worrying thing, not Lukaku having a stinker.

A combination of poor team set up and lack of application from players contributed hugely to that. I thought we would see Utd in their faces much more. I thought we might have got the first twenty minutes against Arsenal Utd not the rabbit in the headlights Utd.

Two things need to happen at Utd for them to step up another level. We need to play three in MF and we need to bring in at least one more MF. Until then we can sign all the attacking players we want but still won’t have the base to control a game an ultimately compete at the top.

• Advertisement

What? City comfortably beat Chelsea and crushed Liverpool.

what on earth has that got anything to do with what you said and your flip flop?

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Just not as good a team as City in all areas really but Utd didnt play well today either. City didnt let them really but Utd didnt get close enough to them. Matic clearly not fit and Herrera is just a little p...k.

Lukaku is extremely poor but he gets no support and he never gets the ball in behind people. But the positions he takes up are just wrong - hes not a natural striker at all. But Rashford and Martial were terrible too.

City have Silva and deBruyne, you would love to have either of them.

They will lose a couple of games, of course they will, but they will win the league by March.

I'm just hoping this cools them off sufficiently that they're beaten in Europe and one of the cups. His sides do have previous for that though, as do most who have titles wrapped up not long into the new year.

Reckon there's a good chance that De Bruyne wins the Ballon d'Or next year at this rate.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    hes not a natural striker at all.

:confused:

what on earth has that got anything to do with what you said and your flip flop?

Your poorly written post said something about swapping City for United in the games I had mentioned (vs Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm just hoping this cools them off sufficiently that they're beaten in Europe and one of the cups. His sides do have previous for that though, as do most who have titles wrapped up not long into the new year.

Reckon there's a good chance that De Bruyne wins the Ballon d'Or next year at this rate.

Not while Ronaldo and Messi are around he won't.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Not while Ronaldo and Messi are around he won't.

Both are quite old now. Ronaldo especially is showing signs of slowing down. I suspect this year is the last of their stranglehold over the award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

adox wrote: »
    I thought City only played in third gear for large parts of the game but yet kept the ball with ease. That’s the most worrying thing, not Lukaku having a stinker.

A combination of poor team set up and lack of application from players contributed hugely to that. I thought we would see Utd in their faces much more. I thought we might have got the first twenty minutes against Arsenal Utd not the rabbit in the headlights Utd.

Two things need to happen at Utd for them to step up another level. We need to play three in MF and we need to bring in at least one more MF. Until then we can sign all the attacking players we want but still won’t have the base to control a game an ultimately compete at the top.

As well as giving the ball away too much by going long,the team was sitting so deep that when City did get the ball back the CM was too deep to get in Citys faces and that annoyed the hell out of me,

I dont know how many times KDB and Silva strolled into the centre circle for the ball after a knock down from a hail Mary ball from the back by Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Both are quite old now. Ronaldo especially is showing signs of slowing down. I suspect this year is the last of their stranglehold over the award.

30 & 32 respectively, definitely a few more years left for both respectively.

Calling it now, either Ronaldo or Messi will win the Ballon D'or this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ballon Dors are given to players from teams who do well in the Champions League. City will have to win it to get a player ahead of the Barca and Madrid pair.
    Only other consideration will be the World Cup next year. Winning that and having an impressive Champions League will get you a lot of votes.

Look I know we shouldn’t read anything into post match interviews but it was a bit annoying Jose banging on about the peno (which it wasn’t).

As well as giving the ball away too much by going long,the team was sitting so deep that when City did get the ball back the CM was too deep to get in Citys faces and that annoyed the hell out of me,

I dont know how many times KDB and Silva strolled into the centre circle for the ball after a knock down from a hail Mary ball from the back by Utd

Ya well said that annoyed me too if your going to do something do it right and well we didn't today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement