Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’ve been defending Jose constantly but I don’t buy this “no manager would get these players...” “Mata Lingard etc etc can’t be relied upon..” etc etc.

Those players should be putting in much much better performances than that. Much better. There’s not playing well, not having things going for you and then there’s just being utter muck and not ebpven looking that interested and that was certainky the case in the second half.

Jose is over seeing this after all. How can we be so deep at home against Southampton? How can the midfield be allowed to be vacated constantly so whe the opposition do get the back back they can just take their time, pick their passes and wor’ their way to our box with little effort? It also kills any momentum Utd might try to be building.

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again. I’m worried at this moment in time. Bad tactics, bad formation, brutal performances.

I’m trying not to be hyperbolic but this Christmas has been a disaster.

Ah **** off Jose blaming the ref and talk about the ****ing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Apology to all. It’s just been confirmed it’s the refs fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

astradave wrote: »
    Sack him then..bring in a new manager.. he will still have to gut the squad and bring in his own players.. how long will you give him? Who would you realistically bring in?

I suppose you will be saying “give it to giggseh”

Club seriously needs to consider appointing a director of football and plan transfers largely without a coach/manager to ensure continuity.

That squad doesn't really need a gutting. It needs Jose to pull it together, or turf the players out that no longer follow him, or turf Jose out. In most cases like these, it's usually the manager that goes rather than the players. Because ultimately that's far far cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sad sad pathetic jose hilarious stuff lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It was a pen, but a soft one, and it doesn't fúcking matter anyway. Nothing got to do with how the team is playing...

Very little desire most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

GSPfan wrote: »
    Yikes. Be careful, you’ll be mauled.

Why? I'm pretty certain Mourinho would lose his job barring some mitigating circumstances if we miss out on top 4, not that I think it's a likely outcome.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Dcully wrote: »
    Sad sad pathetic jose hilarious stuff lol.

Jaysus expected better from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

adox wrote: »
    Ah **** off Jose blaming the ref and talk about the ****ing game.

You know Jose though right?

Pretty much the carbon copy of Fergie in this regard

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

The lack of urgency in our play pisses me off so much. We show way too much respect to these small clubs at home. When you see City players lose possession, there's 2/3 players pelting towards the ball quickly trying to retrieve possession and get up the field. When we lose possession, our players merely jog back trying to get behind the ball and in position rather than towards the ball. Pisses me off so much. You're playing for Utd ffs

• Advertisement

Jaysus expected better from you.

Im speaking the truth man thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

You could try to speak it a little more coherently. You come across like a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I watched the game on a different channel. Instead of ads they showed highlights from old games v Southampton at OT. The difference was unreal, runners everywhere into space creating chance after chance and taking them. Too static today, everyone wanting the ball to feet and then getting closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fa cup against derby not on uk tv might be a blessing think it's a fair few years since we lost fa cup 3rd round game, hope Jose plays the kids for that one they might pull out a victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Why? I'm pretty certain Mourinho would lose his job barring some mitigating circumstances if we miss out on top 4, not that I think it's a likely outcome.

I asked the same question 30 minutes ago and It got a bad reaction. Some cursed and some left till Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

The lack of urgency in our play pisses me off so much. We show way too much respect to these small clubs at home. When you see City players lose possession, there's 2/3 players pelting towards the ball quickly trying to retrieve possession and get up the field. When we lose possession, our players merely jog back trying to get behind the ball and in position rather than towards the ball. Pisses me off so much. You're playing for Utd ffs

Forget city. What pisses me off is comparing Liverpool’s attacking ability in contrast to ours this season. I know they have their problems defensively but our game plan is so dull going forward given the squad we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

At juventus Pogba had Vidal and Pirlo . Those 2 at the time were light years ahead of any 2 we can play with him at United. Jose looked broken in that interview . He looked like he was about to cry

You could try to speak it a little more coherently. You come across like a child.

lol take a chill pill man , i know your upset but come on atleast relax a bit a take some humour

for what its worth i intended to put my first post in the match thread not in here, i never post in here sorry guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I honestly believe a lot of the squad don't buy into Mourinho's tactics , how can so many players lose form ? He needs to turn this around quickly. Chelsea ,Pool, spurs and Arsenal.are playing better than us..... that cemented 2nd must have pryroid in the mix. :(

• Advertisement

Stolen from redcafe.

"Sleigh bell rings, are you listening?
    Stretford end, fans are booing
    The seasons gone sh!te
    We're lacking in fight
    Walking in a Jose wonderland".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’ve been defending Jose constantly but I don’t buy this “no manager would get these players...” “Mata Lingard etc etc can’t be relied upon..” etc etc.

Those players should be putting in much much better performances than that. Much better. There’s not playing well, not having things going for you and then there’s just being utter muck and not ebpven looking that interested and that was certainky the case in the second half.

Here's my thoughts...

There's a mentality in the squad, amoung the players, that started under Moyes, has prevailed through LVG's tenure and is now cropping its head up again for Jose. Call it "character", call it "leadership" or whatever. We've a team that when the going gets tough, they just switch off. And when a manager asks them to stand up, they sit down and give up.

I won't entirely excuse Jose for not being able to drill that out of them. But my issue becomes at what stage do we stop saying "Time for another manager to start the process again!" because core members of the squad just give up, and just gut the hell out of the utter dross players who never have a fight in them when things get tough?

I've been thrilled with the players Jose has brought in. Thats why, ultimately, I back him 100%; I believe that the longer he's with us, the more we're going to ship out the yellow-belly players and replace them with a higher quality of player.

We've got a track record that dates back years for a lot of these players; Mata was anonymous again today, Rashford and Martial are too inconsistent, and we're relying on Young and Shaw for our wing backs, two players who simply wouldn't get near the top 10 teams in Europe.

I back Jose because I trust him fully to continue our progression. I can say I wish that progression was further on, BUT we are still clearly way better off this season than last. There has been progression, and thus I don't see the reason to call for his head yet. If anything, my major criticism was that we weren't ruthless enough in the summer, and I don't know if that's Jose or the club but we could have done with a larger clear out and a larger spend to be frank. We know he wanted a creative player in Perisic to play in advanced positions and didn't get him.

I just don't trust a core group of the players there. Didn't last year, didn't under LVG. I fully appreciate there's a large risk to team unity, blah blah, when you completely renovate the squad. But I feel the club needs to look at the ruthlessness of other top level squad and strive to emulate them. Do you think Real, or Barca, Bayern, PSG or, as much as I hate to say it, City, would still be using the same foundations from four years ago if they were having rough patches that lasted years?

We've been very ruthless with managers over the last four years. And rightly so. But at some stage, that ruthlessness needs to spread to the squad too. And we need to start acting like a proper top tier club on the field as well as on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Stolen from redcafe.

"Sleigh bell rings, are you listening?
    Stretford end, fans are booing
    The seasons gone sh!te
    We're lacking in fight
    Walking in a Jose wonderland".

You should have left it to them...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It was surprising he got the job at all after the Chelsea revolt. This could go pear shaped very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Sack him then..bring in a new manager.. he will still have to gut the squad and bring in his own players.. how long will you give him? Who would you realistically bring in?

I suppose you will be saying “give it to giggseh”

The players are miles better than jose has them playing. You yourself said our attackers were as good as citys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’ve watched him enough now and fear Pogba is not going to be a great player, I think the level he is at now will be as good as it gets to be honest.

We lack any star players, and until we get some we will not win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jose is over seeing this after all. How can we be so deep at home against Southampton? How can the midfield be allowed to be vacated constantly so whe the opposition do get the back back they can just take their time, pick their passes and wor’ their way to our box with little effort? It also kills any momentum Utd might try to be building.

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again. I’m worried at this moment in time. Bad tactics, bad formation, brutal performances.

I’m trying not to be hyperbolic but this Christmas has been a disaster.

I think it’s cool you are asking these questions about the current run of form.

No manager should be immune from criticism and it’s things that should be talked about on a fan forum. And it likely will be more constructive coming from guys and gals like you who are unbiased and supportive of the manager as opposed to someone like me where it’s always seen as a vendetta.

His post match there was ridiculous. Problem being he’s bashed the players so much he has to be supportive now. He just looks a prat considering we are all watching these games knowing it’s not good enough.

Really really needs arresting. No time to prepare either. Next game Monday. This doesn’t get sorted quickly this could turn into Van Gaal levels of pressure and displeasurement. Palpable change in support over the last few weeks I’ve noticed.

It’s a poor run. Team playing pathetic manager all over the place. All need to sit down , thrash it out and get back on track in the coming weeks to have a spark and vigor for a second half of season with plenty to play for

You know Jose though right?

Pretty much the carbon copy of Fergie in this regard

Yeah but we were winning titles more often than not back then so could be forgiven.

He was being lauded for his “honesty” in yesterday’s presser and then comes out with that ****e. I know I should let it wash over me but it annoyed the **** out of me. I just want to hear and see some leadership from the club. There seems to be very little on the pitch and very little off it lately.

Again I may read back on these posts tomorrow whe I’ve calmed down and thin’ I’m being over the top but I think the problems are starting to root themselves now. As I’ve said in my last two posts, I’m worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Here's my thoughts...

I think José fecked up by playing 3 #10's without instructing them to hold the width.

What about Pogba ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Why ? City have a place . There a only 3 more left and Chelsea Liverpool Spurs and Arsenal are playing much better than us . Spurs hockyed Southampton and Burnley very recently by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Turtwig wrote: »
    Club seriously needs to consider appointing a director of football and plan transfers largely without a coach/manager to ensure continuity.

That squad doesn't really need a gutting. It needs Jose to pull it together, or turf the players out that no longer follow him, or turf Jose out. In most cases like these, it's usually the manager that goes rather than the players. Because ultimately that's far far cheaper.

There was talk of it before.
    Monchi was rumoured to be the DoF they wanted. I think a DoF is a good idea especially when it's unlikely United will ever go years again with the one manager. DoF to implement a style and type of player the club have no matter the manager.

Something clearly is off at the moment but hopefully Jose and the players can turn it around and fast.
    United were devoid of ideas, intensity and worst of all some looked uninterested today.

dmc17 wrote: »
    You should have left it to them...........

The thing is that it's pretty much on the money. The only players that seemed to show any fight on the field were Young and Lingard. Everyone else bar De Gea barely went through the motions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Nobody has said that. The question asked was if things started to fall apart around that point. I think it's a fair question.

No it's not. It's dragging back into the soap opera rubbish.

They beat arsenal 1-3 away after the flirtation.

Why a month later would it suddenly have an impact?

Again, we're not dealing with 12yr old kids here.

If anything the dip started after they were beaten by City when it was confirmed the league was over.

Even after that they went on to win two games while not playing great.

But now all of a sudden most of the team can't play because jose said another team, in another league that has no baring on united have good players and lots of money weeks ago?

Because that's such a shocking thing to say right?

Try and spin it what way you want. My point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

The quality tonight was so poor, two evenly matched teams (which shouldn't be the case) slugging out a draw, not a spark of creativity. Both teams constantly losing the ball under no pressure, really appalling to watch. Schoolboy errors by the bucket load, it reminded me of a terrible league of Ireland match. The players are in need of a source of inspiration and Mourinho looks out of love with football at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    The players are miles better than jose has them playing. You yourself said our attackers were as good as citys...

you keep going back to that and I’ve already said I was wrong to say that Jesus so no point using that as your arguement... maybe try answering the questions since you are calling for Jose’s head now...

lol take a chill pill man , i know your upset but come on atleast relax a bit a take some humour

for what its worth i intended to put my first post in the match thread not in here, i never post in here sorry guys
    Take some humour?
    What did you say that was humorous.

Are you Tommy Wiseau

Try and spin it what way you want. My point still stands.

I said what happened, ive seen it happen countless times over the years, why would i choose now to post in here after many years?
    You have a problem with it report me if you wish if it makes you feel better.

lol im out sensitive bunch in here tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Turtwig wrote: »

While I agree that is the way football works, I personally will wait till the end of the season or until we are out of the running for top 4..

The poster I was replying to is for demanding success, while that in itself should be happening at a club like United, context is key. If we sack Jose now it brings us back to square one and even further behind city, I’d say the poster/fans would give the new manager a year to get his team in order that leaves us 3 years behind Pep in terms of progress..

Personally I believe in giving time to Jose, we have seen at the start of the season that he can get these players playing good football. He’s a winner and he won’t stop until he wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Let's not forget that Fergie was one match away from the sack at the beginning of his long successful reign!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We scored 21 in our first 7 games.

We have scored 22 in the subsequent 14 games.

That's very alarming.

I said what happened, ive seen it happen countless times over the years, why would i choose now to post in here after many years?

Lol :rolleyes:
    no loss infairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

you keep going back to that and I’ve already said I was wrong to say that Jesus so no point using that as your arguement... maybe try answering the questions since you are calling for Jose’s head now...

I want a manager who wants to play football and trys to encourage the players, not a manager who slags all of us, the players and the board and also goes flirting with psg.

Pochetinno would be my number one choice next summer

Why would I report you? Post whatever the **** you want, but I had you down as a credible poster rather than a come in with a “lol” type post.

More deflection as well with calling is a sensitive bunch. Came across as a but childish is all and not the type of posting I associate with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I see Lukaku is meant to be out for a while now.
    And Ibra gone for a month.
    You all know what that means, time to bring in the big guns.

The MIGHTY JAMES WILSON!
    wilson3_2903044b.jpg

Jokes aside I actually thought he was going to be big for us. More so than Rashford. Injuries and poor loan spells haven't helped his case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

By the way, the biggest mistake tonight was bringing on Rashford for Lukaku, I was genuinely surprised that it wasn't Martial who got the nod there and the subsequent display from Rashford was pretty much exactly what I expected.

Maybe Jose/board should have been more ruthless in the summer.
    Jose has done well with the signings so far with the exception being Miki. Should they have backed him more with maybe 2 or 3 more signings and shipped out lads who have shown over the last few years they don't have what it takes to be at United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No Ibra, Lukaku sure to miss a few weeks. Miki was so bad he has to be dropped.

What options does that leave now? Will Jose to bring Herrera or McTominey into midfield with Matic? Let Pogba play a free role. Have Martial or Rashford up front with Lingard and Mata wide.

If Jose was to get the boot Id go for Tuchel over Anchellotti or Poc

• Advertisement

We don't seem to actually work that hard when we don't have the ball. We simply drop off and give away a chance or wait for the other team to eventually lose the ball.
    City work like demons as soon as they lose the ball and win it back asap,ffs even Burnley do it.
    Whether it's the manager or the players we need to work on winning the ball back quicker when we lose it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement