Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ Adox The childish bit is you guys having a go still, i stated what happened and i apologized for it yet atleast two or three of yee are still having a pop.
    What more do you want?
    I posted accidentally in this thread, i had 4 tabs open at the time and intended to post it in the match thread, dont believe me then so be it.
    I never inteneded to post in here but keep up having a go and i will keep defending myself, cant you let it go st this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

By the way, the biggest mistake tonight was bringing on Rashford for Lukaku, I was genuinely surprised that it wasn't Martial who got the nod there and the subsequent display from Rashford was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I was surprised too...

The biggest points for me tonight is the lack of desire and urgency, Paul trotting about Pogba, No decent number 10 performances and now no number 9 backup for Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Why ? City have a place . There a only 3 more left and Chelsea Liverpool Spurs and Arsenal are playing much better than us . Spurs hockyed Southampton and Burnley very recently by the way

I think we have already been here in the last couple of days? They are not playing much better then us. They are all as if not more inconsistent. We are in a bad patch right now in terms of not picking up wins 3 games in a row. It's not good enough, absolutely.

It's not like we are competing with 3 other man city's for top 4 though

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Dcully wrote: »
    @ Adox The childish bit is you guys having a go still, i stated what happened and i apologized for it yet atleast two or three of yee are still having a pop.
    What more do you want?
    I posted accidentally in this thread, i had 4 tabs open at the time and intended to post it in the match thread, dont believe me then so be it.
    I never inteneded to post in here but keep up having a go and i will keep defending myself, cant you let it go st this stage?

I'm afraid it's too late for that.

one-of-us-gif-12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Yeah but we were winning titles more often than not back then so could be forgiven.

He was being lauded for his “honesty” in yesterday’s presser and then comes out with that ****e. I know I should let it wash over me but it annoyed the **** out of me. I just want to hear and see some leadership from the club. There seems to be very little on the pitch and very little off it lately.

Again I may read back on these posts tomorrow whe I’ve calmed down and thin’ I’m being over the top but I think the problems are starting to root themselves now. As I’ve said in my last two posts, I’m worried.

Many posters highlighted some of these problems long before now but were usually just shouted down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

By the way, the biggest mistake tonight was bringing on Rashford for Lukaku, I was genuinely surprised that it wasn't Martial who got the nod there and the subsequent display from Rashford was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I think Martial has an injury so could not be subbed on so early. He would have hooked Miki at half time as well if Martial was fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What you have to get your head around is that that is how, structurally, José wants Utd to play.

Lukaku's fatigue and dip in form is massive. It's why Mourinho wouldn't drop or rest him. His aerial threat and pace behind are vital in order for the rest of the structure to work.

Rashford has gone off the boil completely.
    Mkhi is pointless.
    Martial is also gone.
    Pogba not what he was.

The team is shot of confidence. José's previous successes were built on his players feeling 10ft tall and ready to go to war.

Can he get that mentality into those players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

yabadabado wrote: »
    Maybe Jose/board should have been more ruthless in the summer.
    Jose has done well with the signings so far with the exception being Miki. Should they have backed him more with maybe 2 or 3 more signings and shipped out lads who have shown over the last few years they don't have what it takes to be at United.

Undoubtably should have signed more players in the summer, I said so at the time(not trying to sound like a know it all) and said that I thought we were still players short for a serious title challenge.

The thing is tough, the current problems run deeper than that imo. It’s not that we are missing two or three players and they come in and fix the last week or so, 4 games without a win against poor opposition. I think we are seeing bigger problems as a collective in the club. It’s not central th results per say(although they hurt) it’s the nature of them.

What more do you want?

Welcome to the United thread.

Many posters highlighted some of these problems long before now but were usually just shouted down.

Shouted down or disagreed with?

I’ve no agenda here. I posted honestly and how I see things. Maybe I’m seeing things now I should have seen earlier or maybe they weren’t there earlier who knows?
    I’m not interested in being right or wrong.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the United thread.

Ironic post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Exactly. Its been worrying since the liverpool game.

Penny has finally dropped for a lot now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    I want a manager who wants to play football and trys to encourage the players, not a manager who slags all of us, the players and the board and also goes flirting with psg.

Pochetinno would be my number one choice next summer

So who would you bring in now.. you told Jose to fûck off, implying that you want him sacked..

Do you see Pochitino as realistic? Do you see him having better results with this group when he has been regressing this season with his own team?

We don't seem to actually work that hard when we don't have the ball. We simply drop off and give away a chance or wait for the other team to eventually lose the ball.
    City work like demons as soon as they lose the ball and win it back asap,ffs even Burnley do it.
    Whether it's the manager or the players we need to work on winning the ball back quicker when we lose it.

Been saying it for months, we are so easy to play against, we lose the ball and we all just drop back. No high press what so ever no matter who we play. We had martial chasing back to our end line today making a last ditch tackle and conceding a corner.crazy stuff

Exactly. Its been worrying since the liverpool game.

Penny has finally dropped for a lot now though

Here we go...

Nauseating.

astradave wrote: »
    So who would you bring in now.. you told Jose to fûck off, implying that you want him sacked..

Do you see Pochitino as realistic? Do you see him having better results with this group when he has been regressing this season with his own team?

This the same team that hammered southampton only a few days ago 5-0??

What more do you want?

Look I don’t want to drag this out. Fair enough you posted in the wrong thread but still doesn’t negate my point that I expected better from you than that type of post.

I’m sure you’ll get over it.

Here we go...

Nauseating.

Watching united at the moment....

Nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Southampton scored 2. It was 5-2.......but lets change the result to suit.

Not the first time it's been done.

Yeah cause that’s exactly how football works..

Again.. who would you have take over now? You’re calling for Jose’s head tonight, who’s gonna take over

• Advertisement

What’s the difference in posting it in the match thread.. it’s still posted for the same purpose

Yeah cause that’s exactly how football works..

Again.. who would you have take over now? You’re calling for Jose’s head tonight, who’s gonna take over

Did i call for his head tonight?? No i didnt. I said **** off. But the way he is going i would be happy if he was replaced in summer

Did i call for his head tonight?? No i didnt. I said **** off. But the way he is going i would be happy if he was replaced in summer

Ah come off it, you know exactly what you were posting at the time.. stand by it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Will José's departure turn Rashford into a prolific finisher; Fellaini into a ballerina; Valencia, Young into actual full backs; Mkhitaryan into someone who's not knocked off the ball too easily? Or Herrera into a player whose talent matches his passion?

United have accumulated a lot of players who just aren't of the highest level over the last few years. They are what they are and it'll take another couple of years to build a truly top class team.

I currently don't see what another change of manager would achieve.

Sick of jose now. **** off

Yeah not calling for his head at all

• I'm convinced some of the posters here are actual Liverpool fans on the wind up :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Leicester game annoys me more and more now. We had so many guilt-edged chances in that game and should have destroyed them, and instead its started this miserable week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Think we should give José an extension...

RUN-AWAY.gif

Ah come off it, you know exactly what you were posting at the time.. stand by it..

If pochettino was available in jan then yes i would be happy for jose to go, but hes not so we are stuck with him until summer at least unless he goes on a mad one and board sack him and bring in an interm manager

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »

RUN-AWAY.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Adamocovic wrote: »

RUN-AWAY.gif

Td5HYsReYy1Ak.gif

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The Leicester game annoys me more and more now. We had so many guilt-edged chances in that game and should have destroyed them, and instead its started this miserable week :(

I’d be the opposite. At least in the Leicester game we created lots of chances and looked like we wanted to win the game.

The last two home games have been soul destroying.

I’d be the opposite. At least in the Leicester game we created lots of chances and looked like we wanted to win the game.

Right, but the Leicester game, and the manner in which we drew it, was a massive factor in the attitude issue we've seen in the last two. If we had won that in a dominant manner, perhaps (if my aunt had balls, etc) we wouldn't have been having the attitude problems in the last two games.

I think it’s more looking back, I think the Leicester game was gut wrenching for the players to lose it at the death and created the lack of confidence for the next two games.. we win that game and I’m certain we win the other 2

Last 2 home games?? Keep counting, bournemouth and city at home were shocking as well. Cant remember before that. Bristol city away thrown in for good measure

• Advertisement

Shouted down or disagreed with?

I’ve no agenda here. I posted honestly and how I see things. Maybe I’m seeing things now I should have seen earlier or maybe they weren’t there earlier who knows?
    I’m not interested in being right or wrong.

I wasn't suggesting it was done by you, just pointing out that it's how things go in here. Bangkok was silenced when he raised concerns over our attack, we've been pretty impotent ever since and in plenty of games before.

A few posters accused me of being a closet City fan when I pointed out some of our shortcomings earlier in the season in comparison to City - our biggest rivals, well have a look at the table now.

Many posters raised concerns over the lack of ambition in the Liverpool game (and other games against teams in the top 6) and were met with snide posts about how they think defending isn't part of the game or that they think the result doesn't matter as long as we "have a go".

Even tonight I was called out for calling Mourinho predictable. Southampton comfortably kept us at arms length tonight (far from the first side to do that this season either) and 2 separate posters have since said our play is predictable.

Many posts criticising Mourinho or our style of play is just met with points comparisons from last season, despite there being little relevance. If we keep up this form those points comparisons won't look too favourable anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

At least ye have De Gea lads. Best in the world.

We have Migs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Will José's departure turn Rashford into a prolific finisher; Fellaini into a ballerina; Valencia, Young into actual full backs; Mkhitaryan into someone who's not knocked off the ball too easily? Or Herrera into a player whose talent matches his passion?

United have accumulated a lot of players who just aren't of the highest level over the last few years. They are what they are and it'll take another couple of years to build a truly top class team.

No, but its important to remember why they were signed in the first place and Jose signed Mkhitaryan and his quotes are below..so wtf happened?
    It wasnt long before he wasnt even playing him

Mourinho added: “Henrikh is a very talented footballer who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country. He is a real team player with great skill, vision and also has a good eye for goal. I am delighted he has chosen to sign for United. I believe he will make an impact on the team very quickly as his style of play is suited to the Premier League. We are all looking forward to working with him.”

United’s manager later told MUTV: “We have brought in the player who was voted the best player in the French league [Zlatan Ibrahimovic] and with Micki we have brought the player who was voted the best player of the Bundesliga. He was voted not by the fans, not by the journalists but voted by the fellow players and that is what means more, I believe, because when your fellow players are the ones that choose you then it means a lot.

“Micki is a fantastic player and what I like more is something that is undeniable, which is the number of goals that he scores by not being a striker. His number of goals per season is really high for somebody that is not a striker. The number of assists is also very clear because it shows clearly his creativity, his vision and his concept of collective play, and that is something that I believe is really important for a club like us.

“We try to be dominant and will, for sure, face teams with a very defensive profile which is his capacity of acceleration of the game. He has a change of speed with the ball and without the ball, and that is very, very important for a club like ours.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

ebbsy wrote: »
    At least ye have De Gea lads. Best in the world.

We have Migs.

You guys should keep tabs on Butland. Stoke are a mess but he is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Miki was excellent for Dortmund but hasn't shown anything like that for for whatever reason. Jose will get plenty of the blame but sometimes it just doesn't work out. A real pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Match thread has developed into lala land, we are in a rut if things continue to slide and we go out of FA and Champions league at the next hurdles then we are dooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Undoubtably should have signed more players in the summer, I said so at the time(not trying to sound like a know it all) and said that I thought we were still players short for a serious title challenge.

The thing is tough, the current problems run deeper than that imo. It’s not that we are missing two or three players and they come in and fix the last week or so, 4 games without a win against poor opposition. I think we are seeing bigger problems as a collective in the club. It’s not central th results per say(although they hurt) it’s the nature of them.

Have to remember what happened before Jose and even in SAFs last season. If he stayed on, SAFs squad reached a point where it needed it's next superstar and needed new players to replace older heads. The class of 92 was done.

Moyes had a horrible time, horrible start and never got going on making the replacements. Van Gaal pushed a lot of players out and replaced them with players of similar quality, is Darmian any better than Rafael was? Was Falcao in England better than Hernandez or Welbeck? Evans less of a defender than Rojo or Blind?

So if Jose brought in lots of new players, would there be any point if they were going to be the same as the ones he was moving out, Memphis, Morgan etc.

At some point you have to back the manager, back the players like Pogba, accept they can fail, appear to underachieve so they learn from it. Real Madrid had to lose in Champions League Semi Finals before they got back to winning it, had to be battered by Barca domestically to rise up and have the will to stop it happening again.

When Jose was signed up it was about catch up and getting the club back on the right path. They could have made more changes fast like he did at Inter but that squad did not hold up long.

United need someone to do what he did at Chelsea, create something that could achieve even after he was gone, could reach Champions League Final to lose on penos, much of his team, with a lot of his ideas, went on to win Champions league under Di Matteo.

Real became a strong, resiliant unit in his time and continued to do well after he left.

Sometimes I think it is too easy to get caught up in the now, big clubs go through major changes and 'forcing' extra changes can make thinks worse. Jose can win things now and set the team up for success in the future, with or without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

yabadabado wrote: »
    Miki was excellent for Dortmund but hasn't shown anything like that for for whatever reason. Jose will get plenty of the blame but sometimes it just doesn't work out. A real pity.

It is more obvious that it doesn't work out when the rest of the squad lacks quality to cover it.

City could sign an attacking mid now and it wouldn't make a blind bitnof difference if it worked or not.

United are crying out for creative/pacey attacking mids so Mkhitaryan not working out is really hurting us as we've no real other options in the creative mid/10 going forward.

Our squad lacks quality so any new signing that doesn't work is really gonna hurt.

Bit like if Liverpool signed another dud defender, wud just compound things.

Match thread has developed into lala land, we are in a rut if things continue to slide and we go out of FA and Champions league at the next hurdles then we are dooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

If we dont improve quickly seville will have a field day against us

It is more obvious that it doesn't work out when the rest of the squad lacks quality to cover it.

City could sign an attacking mid now and it wouldn't make a blind bitnof difference if it worked or not.

United are crying out for creative/pacey attacking mids so Mkhitaryan not working out is really hurting us as we've no real other options in the creative mid/10 going forward.

Our squad lacks quality so any new signing that doesn't work is really gonna hurt.

Bit like if Liverpool signed another dud defender, wud just compound things.

Are you saying City can buy as many Mikis as they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It would be good for a laugh at least. I'm sure under Pochettino the likes of Mata will suddenly turn into real leaders, or Martial will find some consistency. It would be fun to see the Jose critics trying to figure out why manager no.4 appears to be having a few remarkably familiar issues...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Question if Rashford and Martial were Liverpool players when Klopp took over would they fit into his system and possibly be performing like Salah or would they have been benched and eventually gotten rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You would have to think the cheque book will be opened in January again ahead of another big summer.

We are a significant distance in terms of quality across the pitch behind City and if we don’t find some sort of form soon Chelsea and Liverpool will start pulling away at the top of the league.

Everton away under Sam is now looking like a daunting trip if they are up for it.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Everton away under Sam is now looking like a daunting trip if they are up for it.

Rooney scoring a winner seems destined, doesn't it...

DM_7 wrote: »
    Have to remember what happened before Jose and even in SAFs last season. If he stayed on, SAFs squad reached a point where it needed it's next superstar and needed new players to replace older heads. The class of 92 was done.

Moyes had a horrible time, horrible start and never got going on making the replacements. Van Gaal pushed a lot of players out and replaced them with players of similar quality, is Darmian any better than Rafael was? Was Falcao in England better than Hernandez or Welbeck? Evans less of a defender than Rojo or Blind?

So if Jose brought in lots of new players, would there be any point if they were going to be the same as the ones he was moving out, Memphis, Morgan etc.

At some point you have to back the manager, back the players like Pogba, accept they can fail, appear to underachieve so they learn from it. Real Madrid had to lose in Champions League Semi Finals before they got back to winning it, had to be battered by Barca domestically to rise up and have the will to stop it happening again.

When Jose was signed up it was about catch up and getting the club back on the right path. They could have made more changes fast like he did at Inter but that squad did not hold up long.

United need someone to do what he did at Chelsea, create something that could achieve even after he was gone, could reach Champions League Final to lose on penos, much of his team, with a lot of his ideas, went on to win Champions league under Di Matteo.

Real became a strong, resiliant unit in his time and continued to do well after he left.

Sometimes I think it is too easy to get caught up in the now, big clubs go through major changes and 'forcing' extra changes can make thinks worse. Jose can win things now and set the team up for success in the future, with or without him.

I was calling for players to be added, not to be replaced. I thought Van Gaal left us with a squad that was too small and devoid of quality but it needed building on in numbers rather than swapping players out.

Fergies last squad wasn’t as bad as many make out it my opinion and didn’t need major work. In the right hands it could have been tweaked and evolved over two to three seasons without too much disruption. Of course we appointed Moyes and the players more or less downed tools by October. He should have been out the door before Christmas if th club had any real balls and wanted to do everything for some continuity post Fergie.
    Of course we had Van Gaal come in and the rip the squad to shreds, disposing of title winning players like no mans business and repacking g them with the likes of Blind etc.

I was under no illusion that Jose had a big job on his hands and I said that the club needed stability, a clear direction and s9 done to steer them in that direction. I was ok with the fact that we didn’t sign more players in the summer even though I would have liked us to. I was just answering a question on here when asked did I think we had a realistic shot at the title.

The club has made an absolute balls of the post Fergie era. The two previous appointment have set us back god knows how many years. I want Jose to have his own players in as soon as he can and let’s see what he can achieve. I care little or nothing for a lot of the players at the club and I don’t think big changes in personnel will have a negative affect on th club as we have some poor players on the books and seem to have a hell of a lot of characterless(for want of a better word) players who don’t seem to either have the interest or the character to impose themselves in games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement