Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

bangkok wrote: »
    Damien Comolli was a disaster at liverpool. Sacked after 2 years.

Dof is a human as well, its not an unsackable job that he would be there for the long term. If he buys bad players he is ro blame.

Also i could never see jose allowing a dof at united. Looks what happened when abramovich forced schchenko on him. All ended badly

Yeah I agree with you about a Comolli situation and that’s why my original comment asked what is the best profile of someone taking that role.

That may also be the worst version of the job too as neither the DoF or the manager should have sole control of transfers. I’d imagine it works best if both share similar opinions on style of play etc. so that there is no major conflict.

I can’t see it happening under Jose but when Jose leaves it may be time to consider it as you don’t want someone else coming in and buying and selling half a squad every two years. The Director of Football would have a vision of how the club wants to play, he discusses that with the new manager before appointment to ensure that manager is on board, then he helps identify players for the manager to choose from. In that scenario the manager can be removed and the new manager is identified to fit the players and not to buy sell players to suit the new manager.

Just to add..... I’m not sold on the idea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He who shall remain nameless says Barca want both of them

Hard sell to get both of them to join and compete for one place, they'll get one and jettison any talks they have with the other.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

nullzero wrote: »
    Hard sell to get both of them to join and compete for one place, they'll get one and jettison any talks they have with the other.

Both can easily fit them tbh. Coutinho is seen as a rotatable solution and eventual replacement for Iniesta. Griezemann as a wingman to suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I'd love to see Ancelotti at utd .. some day ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lack of players is not the root cause of this. Jose, LVG & Moyes were all supported in the transfer market, sometimes transfers just don't work out as well as hoped.

But even then, Utd have more than a good enough squad to be doing far better than they currently are. The 1st few weeks of the season as more in line with what this team should be achieving, not the results of late.

And that brings us back to Jose. This is totally on him. He still struggles to get the best out of the players he has got. I have no idea what they are practicing on the training pitch, but from their lack of quality decision making it doesn't appear that they are learning how to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jharr100 wrote: »

Same, his Chelsea and Real Madrid sides were some of my most favourite sides to watch playing football. That Madrid side when it was in form was just downright mesmerising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

haha, back to this nonsense again. Woodward is now over seeing league finishes just like a manager.

Woodward has bought some top players who the manager instructed him too. Jose is currently not doing good enough, like Moyes and LVG didn't. Thats where the buck rightly stops.

It is not Woodwards fault either. It not like he is in charge for 15 years. He looks to be bringing in a more professional structure. It will take time.

United, to me, were well behind some European sides and fell behind others domestically as they became more professional and became companies rather than just football clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Mourinho is to be sacked in the next year or two we will more than likely go a decade plus without a league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ozil not in Arsenal squad today,let the rumours of a move to us ramp up a gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If Mourinho is to be sacked in the next year or two we will more than likely go a decade plus without a league title.

how do you make that out??

Meh. Just as likely to not win one under Jose too. The unknown is unknown. It could be next year or 50 years.

Ozil not in Arsenal squad today,let the rumours of a move to us ramp up a gear.

our team lacks heart and fight at the moment, Mesut Ozil is the last player i want to see us sign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This doesn't map onto reality at all. We are still one of footballs big spenders, if we get better attacking options and a manger that can get them playing we would certainly not go a decade without a league title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

jharr100 wrote: »

Why ? He failed at Bayern

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Why ? He failed at Bayern

jose failed miserably in his last season with chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

if we get better attacking options and a manger that can get them playing we would certainly not go a decade without a league title.

Better attacking options? No need surely, the only problem is Mourinho holding all these guys back, all we need is Pochettino and he would definitely get us up to 2nd or 3rd with these same players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Ancelotti is too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ancelotti is too old.

I thought he was hitting 70 for some reason but he's 58.

That's not too old.

Ancelotti is too old.

4 years older than jose...

also he is managing the team, not expected to play midfield :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought he was hitting 70 for some reason but he's 58.

That's not too old.

He’s just been around for so long tbh, seems older than he is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Based on the stories that came out of Bayern I wouldn't want ancelotti anywhere near United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Based on the stories that came out of Bayern I wouldn't want ancelotti anywhere near United.

Yep, I don’t think he is that good at building teams/squads for Leagues either.. would definitely need a DOF with him.. I personally would have him more as a great cup manager..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks football should be entertaining and not this ****e hes making us play.
    Pogba Rashford Mikateryan Martial Herrera Shaw all top class players who are playing way below what they are capable of. Dont think its all there fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Better attacking options? No need surely, the only problem is Mourinho holding all these guys back, all we need is Pochettino and he would definitely get us up to 2nd or 3rd with these same players.

Do you really think Mourinho is getting the best out of our attackers?

One thing about Ancelotti is he seems to be sound. Lots of players love him.

Not sure I’d want him at United though. I can see him back at Chelsea when Conte quits in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I thought we were 2nd for most of the season and are currently 3rd.... why would we sack a manager who has us where you want us?

I'm being pedantic on purpose. I want to win league titles, not get 2nd or 3rd.

Like Lukaku who you said is not good enough anyway?

Just to be clear on the question.

Nope. I do not.

Of course, we probably differ as to what you mean by that. Has he made them an unstoppable attacking force? Nope. Can they be made an unstoppable attacking force? ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone blame the tea ladies yet or the prawn sandwich brigade.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks football should be entertaining and not this ****e hes making us play.
    Pogba Rashford Mikateryan Martial Herrera Shaw all top class players who are playing way below what they are capable of. Dont think its all there fault.

It is not all their fault.

Certainly not Shaw, Herrera or Miki, Jose wouldn't play them at all if he had better options available.

Shaw, top class, that was funny.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »

Certainly not Shaw, Herrera or Miki, Jose wouldn't play them at all if he had better options available.

One notable feature of this thread is that it is infected with "Prettiest wife at home" syndrome disease.

Shaw was one of the best full backs in the league up to his injury
    Herrera our player of the year last year
    Mikateryan the best player in the German league. They dont all become bad players.
    By the way if you dont think Shaw was top class then you haven't watched much football

One notable feature of this thread is that it is infected with "Prettiest wife at home" syndrome disease.

It could be worse, it could be “grass is always greener” syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Happy New Year to all here.

Off to eat some turkey. See ye in the match thread tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

bangkok wrote: »
    Ancelotti is too old.

4 years older than jose...

also he is managing the team, not expected to play midfield :)

Would rather someone in their early -mid 40’s to be honest. Not necessarily a big name. Just actually interview people without having their mind made up beforehand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

By the way if you dont think Shaw was top class then you haven't watched much football

Yes, he had a stunning run of five or six games that season, didn't he....

The reality is that Shaw has been with us for three and a half seasons; even discounting the time missed because of the horrific injury, he's had multiple managers criticizing him and he has had difficulties staying fit.

Much like Mkhi, when he switches on, he's brilliant. Unfortunately, he has massive consistancy issues, and a change of manager won't fix that.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yes, he had a stunning run of five or six games that season, didn't he....

The reality is that Shaw has been with us for three and a half seasons; even discounting the time missed because of the horrific injury, he's had multiple managers criticizing him and he has had difficulties staying fit.

Much like Mkhi, when he switches on, he's brilliant. Unfortunately, he has massive consistancy issues, and a change of manager won't fix that.
    Really. Pogba a shadow of the player at Juventus. Herrera regressing. Martial and Rashford not improving
    How many players more do some fans want???
    He has very good payers at the club maybe a midfield leader short but **** me he should have some fuking game plan to get the best out of them and be able to entertain the fans

• Robson99 wrote: »
    Really. Pogba a shadow of the player at Juventus. Herrera regressing. Martial and Rashford not improving
    How many players more do some fans want???
    He has very good payers at the club maybe a midfield leader short but **** me he should have some fuking game plan to get the best out of them and be able to entertain the fans

So much false my head hurts

Like Lukaku who you said is not good enough anyway?

Just to be clear on the question.

Yes like Lukaku. Ultimately,I don't think he's good enough. But having said that, I don't think we're doing him any favours with how we play.
    Nope. I do not.

Of course, we probably differ as to what you mean by that. Has he made them an unstoppable attacking force? Nope. Can they be made an unstoppable attacking force? ...

I don't think anyone has an unstoppable attacking force. I'd phrase it as, has he made them a cohesive attacking unit? No. Can they be made into a cohesive attacking unit? Yes.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So much false my head hurts

Try some Calpol

I don't think anyone has an unstoppable attacking force. I'd phrase it as, has he made them a cohesive attacking unit? No. Can they be made into a cohesive attacking unit? Yes.

But that is demonstrably false, our attacking play is much improved since Jose came in and our goals scored figures are perfectly acceptable. He has created a cohesive attacking unit, one just as good as all but one in the league.

The problems are when and why the various attacking/defending units misfire.

What you said is basically alternative facts, the sort of which is very hard to want to bother refuting. We do attack well, we are entertaining, saying otherwise is just incorrect.

• Robson99 wrote: »
    Try some Calpol

I don't have a cough or a fever
    Two panadol preferably

Would rather someone in their early -mid 40’s to be honest. Not necessarily a big name. Just actually interview people without having their mind made up beforehand.

Mauricio Pochettino.

Everyone says Giggs should go prove himself first at smaller club before he can get the chance to manage utd.

Pochettino has managed at Espanyol, moved to Southampton and did excellent and now has spurs playing very well, all while doing so with little budget to work with. i think he is the perfect fit for united

But that is demonstrably false, our attacking play is much improved since Jose came in and our goals scored figures are perfectly acceptable. He has created a cohesive attacking unit, one just as good as all but one in the league.

The problems are when and why the various attacking/defending units misfire.

What you said is basically alternative facts, the sort of which is very hard to want to bother refuting. We do attack well, we are entertaining, saying otherwise is just incorrect.

No, what I'm saying is just a different point of view. Personally, I don't think we attack well. Plenty of games to support that point of view, in fact most of our recent games do. It isn't incorrect to say we attacked poorly against Bristol, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Southampton, Brighton, Benfica, Basel etc.

We attacked quite well earlier in the season, but many of those goals came quite late in games as we picked off teams that were already beaten. I recall a few people raising concerns at the time that despite the great 4-0 scorelines, many of the goals came very late. Of course, they all count but we're halfway through the season now and I think teams are starting to figure us out. This is where simply putting Lukaku up top and selecting 3 of Martial/Rashford/Mkhitaryan etc. in behind him won't quite cut it anymore. We need actual plans and ideas to break sides down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think Arsenal will be resorting to the Europa League plan B earlier than we did last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

How would you rate his first season at United, before his injury?

How would you rate his first season at United, before his injury?

Top class

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Herrera our player of the year last year
    Mikateryan the best player in the German league. They dont all become bad players.

Herrera who was at the club before Jose, became out player of the year under Jose in Jose’s first year in charge. Yet you are ignoring that and choosing to use Herrera having a brutal half season the following season to beat Jose with.

Ashley Young 3 match ban

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement