Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There is no doubting the potential of Rashford and Martial, but they don’t play to a high enough standard now to both be starting for a club with title aspirations. The problem is Lingard, Mata and Mkhitaryan are the extent of our options outside them.

If you are a defender none of those names are going to keep you awake at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Match threads for their games followed the same trajectory as their form.

It started off with one for every game but when the realisation hit that this year was not going to be their year after a run of poor results they dwindled off, culminating with the wonderful Sevilla match where a 3 nil half time lead was somehow turned into a draw.

Now that we've had a couple of poor results and they have had a couple of wins in a row their little peckers are starting to quiver again but nobody is brave enough to start match threads for them consistently.

You see keeping the discussion of their games within the superthread, it affords them a safe space because comments that one might make with no mod intervention in a match thread could be deemed as being trolling if they were posted in a superthread. Sensitive souls that they are.

It's actually quite a fascinating group think, a hive mind if you will. If David Attenborough got wind of it he'd make a documentary on it, I'd love to get his thoughts on it.

You can see the beginnings of it in here the last week or so, their worker ants beginning to probe the outside world and attempt to start a conflict with the neighbouring ant hills.

It makes for some very entertaining reading.

Extremely early contender for nature-themed post of the year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

There is no doubting the potential of Rashford and Martial, but they don’t play to a high enough standard now to both be starting for a club with title aspirations. The problem is Lingard, Mata and Mkhitaryan are the extent of our options outside them.

If you are a defender none of those names are going to keep you awake at night.

You're not allowed hold that view around here it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

adox wrote:
    I think they are.

Feel free to think that Everton are in much better form than United, but this is not borne out by any facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Match threads for their games followed the same trajectory as their form.

It started off with one for every game but when the realisation hit that this year was not going to be their year after a run of poor results they dwindled off, culminating with the wonderful Sevilla match where a 3 nil half time lead was somehow turned into a draw.

Now that we've had a couple of poor results and they have had a couple of wins in a row their little peckers are starting to quiver again but nobody is brave enough to start match threads for them consistently.

You see keeping the discussion of their games within the superthread, it affords them a safe space because comments that one might make with no mod intervention in a match thread could be deemed as being trolling if they were posted in a superthread. Sensitive souls that they are.

It's actually quite a fascinating group think, a hive mind if you will. If David Attenborough got wind of it he'd make a documentary on it, I'd love to get his thoughts on it.

You can see the beginnings of it in here the last week or so, their worker ants beginning to probe the outside world and attempt to start a conflict with the neighbouring ant hills.

It makes for some very entertaining reading.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    On today’s game I fear the worst. We are in a slump and 48 hour isn’t enough to shake it off.
    sigmundv wrote: »
    Feel free to think that Everton are in much better form than United, but this is not borne out by any facts.

In the last 6 games,we both have 9 points. They actually rank ahead in the form table off the back of having a +2 goal difference to our plus one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well not trying to be pendantic but it depends what sample size you take, whether you are talking about results and results only and not taking into account the opposition or the team who’s form you are talking about etc. it’s all relative.

Are you talking about the last 3 games as per your original sample size? If so Utd have 3 points as opposed to Evertons 2. Evertons last 3 games were an away defeat and away draw and a home draw to Chelsea.

Utd have two home draws(against Southampton and Burnley) and an away draw.

All this considered even though Everton have 1more point form the 3 games Id have them in a better run of form considering who the clubs are, expectations and even the opposition and where the games are played.

I’m not saying I’m absolutely right but saying that it isn’t borne out by the facts I think is a little over simplistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mahrez with a peach in the Leicester game... I’ve to go hide awhile after my post yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I mean, he's already surpassed his goals and assists tally this year compared to the entirety of last year, but sure, he's "regressing"....

This fixation on goals and assists as if it’s the end all and be all. It’s like the fixation on our good start and how many points or goals we had used as a rebuff to any indicators or critique raised.

Martial has had a splint of decent performances here and there but in general has been anything but what he should be. His goals and assists are just masking up the fact he is not kicking on.

Anyone with two eyes watching the games will see this. Stop burying into stats as a defense mechanism.

Martial is into his third season and still can’t get a string of games together starting where he is in devastating form. His age aside, he has all the attributes and ability to be tearing everything up in front of him. Up front or out wide. And it should be a concern to all fans he is not.

He is well behind the likes of Sterling, Sane and Salah when he really shouldn’t. He is an incredible talent that we are not anywhere near harnessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Lord TSC wrote:
    In the last 6 games,we both have 9 points. They actually rank ahead in the form table off the back of having a +2 goal difference to our plus one....

So our form results wise is very similar. Both Everton and we are equally inconsistent at the moment.

To say that Everton are in good form is to give them too much credit. They were in good form, but it has tailed off during the past week, as has ours. I think another draw is the most likely result tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mahrez with a peach in the Leicester game... I’ve to go hide awhile after my post yesterday :D

Ha ha. I’ll never shut about him if he keeps it up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

redzerdrog wrote: »
    You're not allowed hold that view around here it seems

Of course you are. It's a perfectly reasonable view to hold not full of hyperbole or non related crap.

GSPfan wrote: »

He assisted their second now aswell

So our form results wise is very similar. Both Everton and we are equally inconsistent at the moment.

To say that Everton are in good form is to give them too much credit. They were in good form, but it has tailed off during the past week, as has ours. I think another draw is the most likely result tonight.

Nah mate, we are going to let in an early Rooney goal and then win 4-2.

Ahhh tits, just seen the Liverpool score. Come on Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    On today’s game I fear the worst. We are in a slump and 48 hour isn’t enough to shake it off.

Really isn’t the game I need to start the New Year.

Know exactly what could happen to put me into a spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pogba further up it seems. Good to see

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/947867560455868416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Martial at center forward.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

Hi zerks :D

Martial cf... hopefully he produces today.. like the look of that 11.. seems balanced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Hughes head firmly on the chopping block now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Looks 4231 with pogba as 10?

Smalling on the bench. Good to see him back so soon.

Speaking of the bench, very little there to come on and change the game with Miki and Rashford being the only two attackers, so Rashford only really. :pac:

Jayop wrote: »
    Martial at center forward.
    Hi zerks :D

Martial cf... hopefully he produces today.. like the look of that 11.. seems balanced

Hi cantonas collor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Fancy us today. A bit of expectation on Everton but they still don’t offer much threat. Expect a classic away performance. 0-2.

• Advertisement

That's the three man midfield everyone has been clamouring for, so interested to see how it does.

That's the three man midfield everyone has been clamouring for, so interested to see how it does.

Not sure it is if Pogba plays as a 10 in a 4231. I’d personally rather a 4141 type set up with Pogba alongside say Herrera in this case with Matic mopping up.

Would genuinely love to see Pogba and Martial combine for a few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lingard and mata likely the wide players in a 433, not a great prospect. Would need a lot of width to be provided by the full backs, which Shaw might give us but lindelof won't.

Going to be a very narrow performance. Worrying.

Herrera needs a big game today

Head out for a stroll lads nice evening

Don't.... Say..... Anything

• Advertisement

I was calling for it at the start of the season BUT Herrera has been rubbish and our wide threats at both full back and on the wing are not great wide options... So I'm not hopeful for the performances today.

Interested to Lindelof at rb today also. He has a good strike off a ball so interested to see him cross the ball

He would be a great signing and fill a need. It's annoying that United don't seem to have any interest in signing him.

Jayop wrote: »
    Don't.... Say..... Anything

Ya clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Herrera needs a big game today

Head out for a stroll lads nice evening

every single one of them needs a big game today

FFS.

We cannot lose. Especially not by 2 goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

FCUK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Second half of this season is going to be fúcking scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Must win this!!

We need to end this horrid run of form and results.

its gone from us "challenging" city for the title, to hoping not to lose to Everton by 2 goals so Liverpool will not pass us out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If we drop points today, which lets be honest is very much on the cards, the match thread will be an abomination :(

Still not the personnel there though. An out of form Herrera part of the three. Also the wide players being Mata and Lingard isn’t really what we need either.

Martial hat-trick. Today

Also how long more is Fellaini out for been a big loss especially in games where we were defending leads say what you like about him but he is a man mountain in our own box and I think he has been superb defensively under Jose he has cut out all the rashness out of his game.

I remember under lvg there was a points won lost with him when he played which reflected poorly on him id imagine under Jose a similar table would reflect quite well.

go bears.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be hard to drop Lingard from the side. Pogba has to be stuck in at 10 so Jesse has to move wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

bangkok wrote: »
    its gone from us "challenging" city for the title, to hoping not to lose to Everton by 2 goals so Liverpool will not pass us out :eek:

Better than been 6 points behind arsenal chasing 5th.

But there's plenty of time for that yet.

Jaysus nothing gets past you pal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seeing Liverpool get an offside 94th minute winner is a sickener. That gap we had over them only a fortnight ago is pretty much gone. Gonna need our players to get their heads out of their asses and actually play some winning football again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seeing Liverpool get an offside 94th minute winner is a sickener. That gap we had over them only a fortnight ago is pretty much gone. Gonna need our players to get their heads out of their asses and actually play some winning football again.

When did Liverpool get an offside 94th minute? Seeing as it's you posting I'm guessing it was in September/October ;)

Klavan today definitely didn't look offside.

Did someone say this or is this another invented notion

• Advertisement

FFS.

We cannot lose. Especially not by 2 goals.
    Did someone say this or is this another invented notion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement