Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think it's time name Lingards name comes of that list of inconsistent players that get bandied about.

Most consistent attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Beast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Jesse has improved massively. Biggest trait is he gives a ****! Also very talented. More players like him needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How isnt that a red card

No attempt to get the ball at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Imagine a compilation of his goals.. nothing but screamers

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    How isnt that a red card

Could you delay your posting about 30 seconds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Headshot wrote: »
    How isnt that a red card

People cry about diving all the time, but I hate those tackles more. Way more anti-football than diving ever will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    Form of his life. If he can keep this up with those goals and assists. Movement and interplay is so good.

Guess who took him out of his FF team this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I liked Lingard from the time he was on the tour to Asia and Australia when Moyes was in charge. He had a good pre-season then and had scored some goals.
    Always felt he should be scoring more and it does look like this is his break out season.
    Scoring regularly now. I am a fan as he is tenacious, he takes a chance if it appears and scoring as I expected from him.

Shaw has been excellent today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

RobertKK wrote: »
    I liked Lingard from the time he was on the tour to Asia and Australia when Moyes was in charge. He had a good pre-season then and had scored some goals.
    Always felt he should be scoring more and it does look like this is his break out season.
    Scoring regularly now. I am a fan as he is tenacious, he takes a chance if it appears and scoring as I expected from him.

Definitely! Also presses forward and pushes the play up massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I need that Gif of Lingard telling people to shut up :P

https://twitter.com/mufcgif/status/947908847519326215

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

RobertKK wrote: »

I liked him since I saw him playing in the Under 15s Milk Cup playing against Linfield youth.

Matic is absolutely knackered, same thing happened him last year with Chelsea.

Wasnt he playing through the pain a few weeks ago as well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Relief at the end of a match it's been a long time coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hopefully Shaw doesn't break down again because he's a big asset playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Axel coming on to keep the wheels turning.

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Make no mistake, that is a huge 3 points. Delighted they creaked but stood but to the pressure when Everton had a go and finished the game off with the second. ****ing thrilled here, in terms of our season that is huge.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Great result after the last few draws.

Wondering does Rojo and Jones starting indicate where Jose really sees Smalling in his plans?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I love Lingard.

I love the Lingard gif that will get plenty of usage :P

I love how angry and passionate Pogba was when Lingard got fouled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Very good win. Those last three feckin draws a curse as those games cud have given us a cushion in 2nd.

Still take a good top 4 finish and add to squad in summer. Long way to go but happy this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I liked him since I saw him playing in the Under 15s Milk Cup playing against Linfield youth.

dilbert-topper.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Make no mistake, that is a huge 3 points. Delighted they creaked but stood but to the pressure when Everton had a go and finished the game off with the second. ****ing thrilled here, in terms of our season that is huge.

I can already hear the click-clack of certain keyboards. "Beating Everton is a huge result now? How far we've fallen!"

But you're right. Puts that horrid week of poor results behind us. You could see the confidence returning when the second goal went in. Two screamers against a rough Everton team will be great for the mindset of some of those players.

dilbert-topper.jpg

Fúck all of you. I was born the same day as Lingard. #dedicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

BenK wrote:
    Wondering does Rojo and Jones starting indicate where Jose really sees Smalling in his plans?

Well smalling got injured against Leicester so it's more to do with that imo . Personally I think Jones and Bailly is the best combination at the club. Lindelof settling in well too now aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

BenK wrote: »

Smalling was injured. Anyway if you’re a centre half at United you are only ever a training session away from all the other centre halves getting injured and being back in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I love Lingard.

I love the Lingard gif that will get plenty of usage :P

I love how angry and passionate Pogba was when Lingard got fouled.

There bromance runs deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

excellent 3 points, luke shaw, juan Mata, jesse lingard all excellent............

Paul Pogba different class

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fúck all of you. I was born the same day as Lingard. #dedicated

You’re only a feckin baby :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

29th anniversary of the first time I saw United play.

Beat a team from Liverpool by 2 that day too.

Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BenK wrote: »

Smalling hugely in his plans I’d say. They both played well today but had more protection with the (correct :P) formation.

One real worry for me is we are brutal at defending set pieces. Even today with three of the back four being CBs. It needs to be worked on.

I’m pleasantly surprised by that performance. Win was crucial of course but there was a nice fluidity in the attacking third. Lots of interchanging and not a rigid formation at the top per say.

Another mention for another ref who again I thought was really poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Very good win and three points. Needed to arrest that form and we need to kick on from here. Been pulled into a top 4 battle out of nowhere

Thought As Adox mentioned the team still seems unabalanced but Pogba was immense in that familiar role of a midfield three.

Team should be literally built around him in that role. It’s what he was bought for surely.

Wonderful seeing this resurgence from Shaw also. Best left back st the club bar none and a player the manager has scandalously misused. Won’t buy for a second it’s his man management genius. Just made a mess of it

Hopefully Shaw keeps it up and takes his opportunity. Playing like this he is a shoe in for the team.

Thought Herrera looked better. Thought Matic was poor. Sloppy, ponderous. Really needs a rest. Should be trusting Blind in that holding role in a three in games we will be comfy to give Matic a breather

GSPfan wrote: »
    Smalling was injured. Anyway if you’re a centre half at United you are only ever a training session away from all the other centre halves getting injured and being back in the team.

Oh didn't realise he was injured, that explains that then! In an ideal world I think Jones and Bailly would be my preferred options but they're certainly all getting plenty of game time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

That second half was very encouraging. Confidence seems to be back in Pogba, Martial, Lingard and Mata. Let's just hope we can continue this form and not f**k up against bloody Stoke

Lindelöf a nice right back aswell. Bye Bye Darmian. Thanks for the memories.

• Advertisement

Would be great if we can do some business this month to try improve our lot. A cm to take the spot Herrera had today (thus freeing up Pogba) and I'd still love a proper winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Perfect tonic for the hangover, 2 fine finishes from Martial & Lingard..

Hopefully Matic is rested for the cup game now, he looked out on his feet after 60/70 mins

I can already hear the click-clack of certain keyboards. "Beating Everton is a huge result now? How far we've fallen!"

Absolutely unnecessary contribution, can we try and enjoy the result for a bit before we get dragged into ****e talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »

Another mention for another ref who again I thought was really poor.

A good refereeing performance becoming the exception. It’s getting worse and worse year on year. And not just in terms of our games, I watch a lot of football. The inconsistency and poor decisions is laughable

It’s minor, but Lingard shouldn’t have been made leave the pitch after treatment. That rule was changed whereby if a booking occurs and results in treatment the player doesn’t need leaving. Some refs enforce it others play it by the old rules.

They also need to take a look st those tackles like Holgate. That blatant stops of counter attacks. I’m borderline of the opinion those chops should be a straight red

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Delighted for Lingard. He gets rewards for his effort as well as skill. Also for Martial who scores again when playing as a centre forward.

Good day for Pogba, Mata and Shaw.

Shaw going forward is very good especially against compact teams happy for the ball to go wide, handy day for him in defence and took advantage of chances to go forward.

Lingard, Pogba and Mata linked up very well today. Nice linking up, movement and a change from the often static attack.

Ander also did well which is a nice change for him.

One concern again is the lack of bite as the game goes on, Shaw, Pogba, Matic all looked tired as game wore on and must have been delighted when Lingard scored.

Pogba man of the match, despite his driving me nuts at times he was a cut above out there. Very happy with him today in what is a very natural position for him. Got the best out of him at Juve and surely something that must be considered when recruiting going forward. Matic is knackered, someone said he has been playing with pain? Not sure about that, I do know he could do with a rest but not sure when he is gonna get one.

This game was an example of how Lukaku can actually be rested and the world wont end Jose!

Very happy with Shaw also, is that 3 league starts in a row? Played well again today, the right side of the attack was non existent most of the game, first half in particular and is such a glaring weakness, as is the dropping off and allowing teams to walk up to our defensive third. When we press higher we look so much more likely to nick a goal from a mistake.

Delighted for Jesse, I do remember watching him for the youth teams, he was a striker and I am delighted he is remembering some of his finishing lately :D Another screamer and the shot before wasn't half bad either. His work rate and movement has always been there, putting the final piece of end product in to his game would make him so dynamic.

Its Everton etc, but they have taken points from City, Chelsea and Pool there this year. Under Sam they are well capable of frustrating the life out of anybody and I don't care if it is something to mock, I reiterate, that is a huge win. The manner of it was good too putting down Everton's mini revival.

Still not perfect and I could point to a couple of issues I had but I won't today, just gonna enjoy that :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lindelöf a nice right back aswell. Bye Bye Darmian. Thanks for the memories.

not quick enough to be there long term

Wonderful seeing this resurgence from Shaw also. Best left back st the club bar none and a player the manager has scandalously misused. Won’t buy for a second it’s his man management genius. Just made a mess of it

Yeah great to see Shaw showing a bit of form. Very early days for his long term future yet though.

Don't agree with you that he's been scandalously misused, not enough information to make that assessment. & literally no one claimed it was Jose's man management genious.

Very good win and three points. Needed to arrest that form and we need to kick on from here. Been pulled into a top 4 battle out of nowhere

Thought As Adox mentioned the team still seems unabalanced but Pogba was immense in that familiar role of a midfield three.

Team should be literally built around him in that role. It’s what he was bought for surely.

Hopefully Shaw keeps it up and takes his opportunity. Playing like this he is a shoe in for the team.

Thought Herrera looked better. Thought Matic was poor. Sloppy, ponderous. Really needs a rest. Should be trusting Blind in that holding role in a three in games we will be comfy to give Matic a breather

Ah will you stop you said the same about Miki last season when he was easing him back into the side. As others have noted Shaw has done feck all over the years at United but is finally showing what he can do.

Maybe he is actually finally applying himself properly and doing what the manager wants of him.

I'm a big fan of Shaw and what he can potentially do as a full back he just needs to show it on the pitch and in training and if he does he will play its simple.

I don't even understand what vendetta you think Jose has against him

Souness choking out some faint praise for Pogba :D

DM_7 wrote: »
    Delighted for Lingard. He gets rewards for his effort as well as skill. Also for Martial who scores again when playing as a centre forward.

Good day for Pogba, Mata and Shaw.

Shaw going forward is very good especially against compact teams happy for the ball to go wide, handy day for him in defence and took advantage of chances to go forward.

Lingard, Pogba and Mata linked up very well today. Nice linking up, movement and a change from the often static attack.

Ander also did well which is a nice change for him.

One concern again is the lack of bite as the game goes on, Shaw, Pogba, Matic all looked tired as game wore on and must have been delighted when Lingard scored.

Shaws attacking on the left also helped create space for Pogba, which was vital

Would like to see Shaw retain the position. He could still be our answer at left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Attitude was spot on today,and especially in the second half the ball was moved around fairly sharp,was great to see Pogba been given a bit freedom today and hopefully it's something that we will see more of going forward

Another solid display from Shaw as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Much,much better. None of the slow crap we seen over the Xmas period,with some hoofball thrown in for good measure.

Messi Lingard with another brilliant goal,too add too what's been a great season for him. Always pleasing seeing a local academy product producing the goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'm surprised how little has been made of Valencias injury. When he's playing people seem to think he does little going forward but once he's gone you realise just how much his energy down the right and running in behind after a 1-2 causes the opposing fullbacks trouble.
    Hopefully he's back soon enough.
    Pogba was immense today, said here the other day i had a feeling he was going to kick into top gear and hopefully this is the start of it :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement