Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Given recent results that was a very good win, delighted.

Cup game at the weekend should give the opportunity to rest the likes of Matic.

In the battle of the busses we emerge victorious.

Feels good mang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lingard has won me over. Significantly improved in almost every aspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Unearthly wrote: »
    Lingard has won me over. Significantly improved in almost every aspect

Jose making a player better?

but but but, he's not a coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What was people's feelings on that challenge on Jesse, was a 100% red in my opinion, tackle from behind and no attempt to get the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Its Everton etc, ...
    I've been quite critical of the progress we've made this year but that performance was a long way better than Goodison last year when consistent Everton pressure resulted in that last minute penalty.

That to me was one of our best performances this season too. Controlled the game apart from that period when McCarthy came on and restricted Everton to only one real opportunity. On the flip side we created enough chances that we were likely to take at least one of them.

Agree with those who say we still are a little unbalanced when it comes to bodies on the left side of our attack. At times they were getting in each others way. It's no coincidence that the opener came from a move where Jesse made a run away from that left area giving Pogba that little bit of extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Some width in the second half made the difference, but where was that urgency against Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Would like to see Shaw retain the position. He could still be our answer at left back.

There's a world class LB in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ah jaysus lads we have been undone by another alternative league table. Week 17 to week 22 league table belongs to Liverpool:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Second half was an entirely different performance more link up play more belief too, Mata Shaw Lingard Martial Pogba bloody work horse performances, Rojo excellent too. Hoping to find the FA cup game on Friday easy enough.

• Advertisement

• SlickRic wrote: »
    There's a world class LB in there.

Fitness always the concern
    I'd love if he could finish out the season unharmed to get a better scope on his potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reckon Fellaini is off and the reason he hasn’t been seen is that Jose won’t play him ala Schneidrlan and Memphis..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I'm surprised how little has been made of Valencias injury. When he's playing people seem to think he does little going forward but once he's gone you realise just how much his energy down the right and running in behind after a 1-2 causes the opposing fullbacks trouble.
    Hopefully he's back soon enough.
    Pogba was immense today, said here the other day i had a feeling he was going to kick into top gear and hopefully this is the start of it :cool:

He has been good when played there, but this just shows the issues at United when we haven't been able to get a replacement to play there.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Ah jaysus lads we have been undone by another alternative league table. Week 17 to week 22 league table belongs to Liverpool:(

When will those medals be presented.

• astradave wrote: »
    Reckon Fellaini is off and the reason he hasn’t been seen is that Jose won’t play him ala Schneidrlan and Memphis..

:(

But also could mean a player is coming in if that's the case

While Pogba will get all the plaudits for his two assists, take a moment and show your appreciation for the real hero in all this.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hococop wrote: »
    What was people's feelings on that challenge on Jesse, was a 100% red in my opinion, tackle from behind and no attempt to get the ball

was a tactical foul so was always going to be a yellow, would have been a harsh red, although he could have had no complaints if it was given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »

Hopefully Andreas recalled and sell Mhiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

While Pogba will get all the plaudits for his two assists, take a moment and show your appreciation for the real hero in all this.

Got a bit of a thread winning run going on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Hococop wrote: »

Definite red, surprised they didn't mention it much in commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »

Andreas stated that he doesn’t want to be recalled.. said he doesn’t want to hear from the club.

• Advertisement

• While Pogba will get all the plaudits for his two assists, take a moment and show your appreciation for the real hero in all this.

QONVIyz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

thought mata has been class for the last few games, his touch, movement and awareness have all been top notch. excellent player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I'm surprised how little has been made of Valencias injury. When he's playing people seem to think he does little going forward but once he's gone you realise just how much his energy down the right and running in behind after a 1-2 causes the opposing fullbacks trouble. Hopefully he's back soon enough.

I think young and Shaw is the best option in the full back positions. I like Valencia for his effort, determination, athleticism but man the guy is one of the worst deliverer of a ball in the final third . Close the eyes and hit it as hard as possible. Strange thing is a few years ago when Rooney was banging them in there was lots of Valencia assists in there .

Young has been a revelation since changing to full back it has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pogba was class today, thats the kind of performance we need to see from him more often. Would love if we got another midfielder in this month to play with him and Matic.

https://twitter.com/RyanBaldiFW/status/947910004497100800

• bangkok wrote: »
    thought mata has been class for the last few games, his touch, movement and awareness have all been top notch. excellent player

Was unlucky not to score today

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wonderful seeing this resurgence from Shaw also. Best left back st the club bar none and a player the manager has scandalously misused. Won’t buy for a second it’s his man management genius. Just made a mess of it

Absolute clap trap.
    It's been awhile :D

You like the rest of us have no bloody idea how it was handled and why.

So lets not try to add to the drama's jose's the big bad evil manager when in this case we know nothing of the circumstances surrounding it.

It's bad enough fans of other teams doing it without you adding to it.

Stick to the facts and right now you don't have any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pjohnson wrote: »

Pereira doesn't seem interested in coming back, in January anyway.

I would be very happy to see him and TFM recalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

astradave wrote: »
    Andreas stated that he doesn’t want to be recalled.. said he doesn’t want to hear from the club.

Judging from his Instagram, he looks very happy in Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Would this work.....?

Matic
    Rashford Lingard Pogba Martial
    Lukaku

I know it seems like we need Herrera in there beside Matic but I think that’s overkill against 15 of the teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GSPfan wrote: »
    Would this work.....?

Matic
    Lukaku

I know it seems like we need Herrera in there beside Matic but I think that’s overkill against 15 of the teams in the league.

Thats what we had against Southampton basically. Matic all alone in the middle

• Advertisement

• Pereira doesn't seem interested in coming back, in January anyway.

I would be very happy to see him and TFM recalled.

Yes and no.

I'd weigh the benefits of getting regular game-time the rest of the season being more important than bit-part showings for Utd

However is he available for CL football? Also depends on our injury situation.

Lads i think you're getting carried away on the Luke Shaw front, is not and never will be a world class player in my opinion. Was absolutely awful the other day but had a decent game today albeit his positioning was poor at times(usually is).
    We need to get an upgrade sharpish.
    What about Dybala, has there been any legitimate source running with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would this work.....?

Matic
    Lukaku

No.

ianob7 wrote: »
    I think young and Shaw is the best option in the full back positions. I like Valencia for his effort, determination, athleticism but man the guy is one of the worst deliverer of a ball in the final third . Close the eyes and hit it as hard as possible. Strange thing is a few years ago when Rooney was banging them in there was lots of Valencia assists in there .

Young has been a revelation since changing to full back it has to be said

Valencia and young for me. Shaw can skip on back to Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would this work.....?

Matic
    Lukaku

I don't think that's the wisest. Also interested to know which of the 'big 6' you'd be happy to play that formation against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm surprised how little has been made of Valencias injury. When he's playing people seem to think he does little going forward but once he's gone you realise just how much his energy down the right and running in behind after a 1-2 causes the opposing fullbacks trouble.
    Hopefully he's back soon enough.
    Pogba was immense today, said here the other day i had a feeling he was going to kick into top gear and hopefully this is the start of it :cool:

Valencia does provide energy but little else. Today’s line up didn’t show how much we miss Valencia, it just shows how little pace there was having Mata and Lindelof on that side today. Sure Young has been replacing Valencia no problem and offering a lot more attacking wise and actually crossing the ball.

He’s been a good servant but our attack from the right is usually non existent too due to him being useless going forward and not having a proper wide player to play in the right. The ball gets out to him loads and he f8nds Sade loads with his pace but does nothing with it. At least today the ball justdidnt go over there!!

• Lads i think you're getting carried away on the Luke Shaw front, is not and never will be a world class player in my opinion. Was absolutely awful the other day but had a decent game today albeit his positioning was poor at times(usually is).

Eh, who's been saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would this work.....?

Matic
    Lukaku

This essentially City's formation and seems to be the way of the future. Massively dependent on your 1 DM though...

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Got a bit of a thread winning run going on..

I've a hand in more trophy wins over the last 18 months than Kloop, Pep, Wenger and Conte combined.

Nothing poster Bill.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That's how Pogba can play if you play him in that LCM position with a marauding fullback creating space.

Whether it's because José has been forced to do it or not, Pogba has been asked to do a job, most of the time, that is not what he's best at. He's not a dictator of play from the centre of the park. Never was. Pirlo did that at Juve. He is creative and direct when you get him 30 yards from goal.

People who've been angry at him for not managing the pace of a game have missed the point all season. Some Utd mates of mine have lost it with him so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

LOL, Liverpool fans never fail to amuse

quote="BorneTobyWilde;105699987"]Capturexxx.jpg[/quote]

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Eh, who's been saying that?

There's literally a comment about 2 pages back saying there's a World class left back in there, think it was Mick or Slickric.

This essentially City's formation and seems to be the way of the future. Massively dependent on your 1 DM though...

To a degree about the DM and it’s certainly not the way of the future. It’s the way Pep plays and dies very well but it’s not for everyone. High pressing high up the pitch, leaving loads of room behind the back line, playing the game in the opposition half. Defenders that don’t particularly need defending as their most important trait etc. it’s high risk football and when done right can be incredibly hard to play against and figure out. Also you need very specific players of incredibly high quality for it to work and not go tits up.

There’s no way Utd are heading in this direction. 433 as we saw tonight is the future as long as Pogba is at the club. Ive said it before but the extra man in MF makes us more attacking not less.

• There's literally a comment about 2 pages back saying there's a World class left back in there, think it was Mick or Slickric.

His comment is referencing potential.
    I commented on his fitness.
    It's going to take a long time for him to be considered at any type of world class level but I agree, it's in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    LOL, Liverpool fans never fail to amuse
    Capturexxx.jpg

Genuinely so ****ing weird how they do these tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SlickRic wrote: »
    That's how Pogba can play if you play him in that LCM position with a marauding fullback creating space.

Whether it's because José has been forced to do it or not, Pogba has been asked to do a job, most of the time, that is not what he's best at. He's not a dictator of play from the centre of the park. Never was. Pirlo did that at Juve. He is creative and direct when you get him 30 yards from goal.

People who've been angry at him for not managing the pace of a game have missed the point all season. Some Utd mates of mine have lost it with him so often.

Problem is even against Everton there was space being left in the midfield. Everton were just too woeful to exploit it effectively. It's not surprising that Mourinho chooses to play him differently. He needs more cover in the midfield before he can risk that. Or at the very least only risk it when United are chasing a win.

Lads i think you're getting carried away on the Luke Shaw front, is not and never will be a world class player in my opinion. Was absolutely awful the other day but had a decent game today albeit his positioning was poor at times(usually is).

I'm not sure how you can praise Valencia in an attacking sense and not shaw who has done way more then in an attacking sense in his brief reappearence than Valencia has done all season

SlickRic wrote: »

Whether it's because Josas been forced to do it or not, Pogba has been asked to do a job, most of the time, that is not what he's best at. He's not a dictator of play from the centre of the park. Never was. Pirlo did that at Juve. He is creative and direct when you get him 30 yards from goal.

It’s his positional play when player in a MF two that has been infuriating. He just doesn’t track back and leaves huge gaps in MF when played there. As much the managers fault as Pogbas I suppose but you don’t have to be a brain surgeon to know you have defensively responsibilities when player there, no matter what your alleged game is.

Three in the middle is the only way for Utd to play as long as Pogba is at ththe club. He was excellent overall tonight, especially second half.

Genuinely so ****ing weird how they do these tables.

C'mon

You would do it to...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement