Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bangkok wrote: »
    over the top how exactly??

we have been crap for the best part since ferguson retired, our premier league finishes last 4 seasons

6th

5th

4th

7th

that is no where near good enough for a club of our size

You're second in the premier league table and but for the absurdity of the City you'd be top. Saying you've been crap is the over top imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    a class observation in fairness

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Nah, it's top class

Its at least European class

It's world class you spanners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tbh I thought he was very gracious to Scholes the player..

"I think the only thing Paul Scholes does is criticise," Mourinho said. "I don't think he comments, I think he criticises, which is a different thing.

"Not every one of us has to be phenomenal like he was as a player. That does not mean that we all have to be phenomenal.

"Paul [Pogba] tries to do his best all the time. Sometimes he plays very well, sometimes he plays well, sometimes he doesn't play so well.

"It's not Paul's fault that he made much more money than Paul Scholes. It's just the way football is.

"I think Scholes will be in history as a phenomenal player, not as a pundit. I prefer to look at him as a phenomenal player that gave so much to the club that I am proud to represent."

limnam wrote: »
    In his style of "critiquing" of each game.

As I said, there's ways to do it.

For an ex united legend. I think he gets to close to the skin.

and jose probably just tired of it.

Nah Jose is just doing what Jose does. Anyone or anything who criticises him becomes the 'enemy'. Doesn't matter how reasonable or unreasonable it is. Just gotta live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Turtwig wrote: »
    You're second in the premier league table and but for the absurdity of the City you'd be top. Saying you've been crap is the over top imo.

since fergie retired we have been poor for majority of it.

we are currently 12 (maybe 15 pts) of city and its only 1st jan and we are right in a dog fight for another top 4 finish, bristol city knocked us out of cup, we struggled in a poor champions league group to finish top. we are still miles off what we need to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Also

I'd say there's a huge background to this also by the sounds of the above that we're not privvy too

This is something I agree with for sure, I think there is plenty gone on behind the scenes that we will not hear of, till maybe someone throws it into a book. It is the reason most verbal jousting between Jose and the class of 92 specifically doesn't interest me at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I tell you what as well; those comments defending Pogba are the type that will have Pogba dying for Jose if asked. Siding heavily with Pogba, defending him publicly, that's how you keep one of the best midfielders in the world on your side.

Speaking off...

435 - It's now 435 days since Paul Pogba last ended on the losing team in a Premier League game (October 23rd 2016 v Chelsea). Since then he's played in 34 games (W21 D13 L0), while Man Utd have lost five games without him in this period.

This is something I agree with for sure, I think there is plenty gone on behind the scenes that we will not hear of, till maybe someone throws it into a book. It is the reason most verbal jousting between Jose and the class of 92 specifically doesn't interest me at all.

Supposedly Scholes applied for the u23 job last year and Jose turned him down for it..

Might not even have been behind the scenes. Might just have been that those players were playing against Jose's Chelsea, Porto (can't recall if they faced Inter) and he's not exactly sporting the type towards opponent players. Probably even more so if they were his seen as his teams bigger threats.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I tell you what as well; those comments defending Pogba are the type that will have Pogba dying for Jose if asked. Siding heavily with Pogba, defending him publicly, that's how you keep one of the best midfielders in the world on your side.

Speaking off...

435 - It's now 435 days since Paul Pogba last ended on the losing team in a Premier League game (October 23rd 2016 v Chelsea). Since then he's played in 34 games (W21 D13 L0), while Man Utd have lost five games without him in this period.

but all scholes said was jose wasnt using him correct, which he wasnt, we were all saying it here as well, today he finally used him in his best position and he was excellent. Jose was the one who was playing him in the wrong position.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Supposedly Scholes applied for the u23 job last year and Jose turned him down for it..

source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Paul Scholes is paid by BT to give his unbiased opinion on every side. Utd don't and shouldn't be excluded from this even if it is a little close to home. Scholes was spot on. I'd sooner see this than the abject fawning by ex liverpool players over their former club.

Put a Chelsea top on Mourinho when he comes out with ****e like that and we'd all have a completely different opinion. Mourinho had no class at Porto, Chelsea, Madrid and Inter Milan at times. Why are some surprised when he does this with us ?

Anyway to tonight's performance. Excellent second half. Game should have been dead and buried earlier but good to see us close out a comfortable win. Excellent performance from Pogba. If that's the position that gets this type of game out of him you do what you can to play him in that position every single game

How, or why on Earth, would Jose even get a say in those decisions? :confused: He'd be asked his opinion, sure, but you wouldn't seriously expect him to have a defining say in the matter. If he does, that's absolutely absurd.

How, or why on Earth, would Jose even get a say in those decisions? :confused: He'd be asked his opinion, sure, but you wouldn't seriously expect him to have a defining say in the matter. If he does, that's absolutely absurd.

Pretty sure at United the Manager has a say in everything from top to bottom..the u23 should be a stepping stone to the first team so he needs to be on top of them too

None of those really state Mourinho's involvement as far as I can see.
    Maybe it was because I hadn’t been too complimentary about a couple of their performances while I’ve been working as a television pundit. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to be complimentary. I was just giving my honest views whenever I saw them. It’s different now but the way they were before Mourinho arrived, not really competing, it was difficult to dodge around it.

Further that's just speculation by Scholes himself on why his application wasn't successful. Maybe because the club simply didn't believe he was competent enough to be given the role? Nothing to do with his public remarks?

A well functioning club would have the u23 manager working closely with the main team manager to replicate tactics and style of play to ensure seemless transitions. So I'd imagine that the manager would have a very important vote in any such applications.

Mind, that's not saying the story is true or not. Just that the manager should have a say.

Pretty sure at United the Manager has a say in everything from top to bottom..the u23 should be a stepping stone to the first team so he needs to be on top of them too

i doubt jose would have a say in that though to be honest. that would be a club decision at board level, nothing to do with the manager

None of those really state Mourinho's involvement as far as I can see.

Further that's just speculation by Scholes himself on why his application wasn't successful. Maybe because the club simply didn't believe he was competent enough to be given the role? Nothing to do with his public remarks?

So he should have kept quiet maybe instead of saying to the world that he didn’t get the job because he criticises the club.. makes the club look bad and there is plenty of people that lap it up..

It was spectaculated( and that’s why I initially used supposedly in my op) that Jose had a say in it as he didn’t want to have the CO92 getting their feet in the door especially with Butt already in there, and then undermining him.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/947914332427431938

Something else I noticed at the end of the game was that all of the Everton players seemed to be lining up to shake Pogbas hand, and have a chat with him. Not in a "say hi to every player" way either. It was more like everyone wanted to have a chat with him. He seems to ooze charisma.

• Advertisement

Something else I noticed at the end of the game was that all of the Everton players seemed to be lining up to shake Pogbas hand, and have a chat with him. Not in a "say hi to every player" way either. It was more like everyone wanted to have a chat with him. He seems to ooze charisma.

no seems about it, he is THE MAN.

best player in the league if he continues in the form of today, he is unstoppable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes he is a very popular player

Have a look at this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLX2GimCoIg

The French players just lining up to shake his hand and talk

A well functioning club would have the u23 manager working closely with the main team manager to replicate tactics and style of play to ensure seemless transitions. So I'd imagine that the manager would have a very important vote in any such applications.

Mind, that's not saying the story is true or not. Just that the manager should have a say.

Agree
    So he should have kept quiet maybe instead of saying to the world that he didn’t get the job because he criticises the club.. makes the club look bad and there is plenty of people that lap it up..

It was spectaculated( and that’s why I initially used supposedly in my op) that Jose had a say in it as he didn’t want to have the CO92 getting their feet in the door especially with Butt already in there, and then undermining him.

He should have kept quiet but that's being human I guess. Most of us feel there's other agents at work for why we are refused/denied something. Many people who don't get a job assume it's because of nepotism/cronyism/gender /etc. rather than their own level of experience and competency.

I think it's fair to say the implication is that it's mostly his speculation more than anyone else's. He didn't get the job, maybe his assertions are true, but we'll never know why. Given his track record though, I'm inclined to believe it probably wasn't a personal vendetta.

To put it another way, this club hired Mourinho. If they were willing to hire him, why on earth would they be taking so literally Schole's remarks made in public. He may still have been one hell of an U23 coach. Likely though they just didn't think he was up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Scholes is a great one for being ready to jab the knife in when things get rough for a few games. I'd say Jose is just sick of Scholes always having something negative to say.

Scholes is entitled to his opinion. Much better to have an honest opinion than arse licking as if we were playing great football
    When Mourinho has achieved a fraction of the success Scholes has had at the club then maybe he could have a go at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

A lot of the doom n gloom gang are not about today.

It's odd the way a lot of them only show up when we lose.

Strange fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

no seems about it, he is THE MAN.

best player in the league if he continues in the form of today, he is unstoppable

You really can't not post in extremes, can you.

He has a MASSIVE amount of work to do before he could come close to that accolade.

If he plays like he did today in pretty much every game from now til the end of next season then he could be in with a shout.

Hopefully he does but with his price tag and experience, against a relatively poor Everton side today was the minimum level we should be expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

He has a MASSIVE amount of work to do before he could come close to that accolade.

If he plays like he did today in pretty much every game from now til the end of next season then he could be in with a shout.

Hopefully he does but with his price tag and experience, against a relatively poor Everton side today was the minimum level we should be expecting.

It's Bangkok, it's kinda what he does really.

As for Best player in the league, that De Bruyne's award.

A lot of the doom n gloom gang are not about today.

It's odd the way a lot of them only show up when we lose.

Strange fans

Dont know who you are having a pop at. We haven't lost in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Robson99 wrote: »
    Dont know who you are having a pop at. We haven't lost in a while.

It's only been 10 days or so

lose/draw/play badly/something to whine about.

take your pick

It's only been 10 days or so

lose/draw/play badly/something to whine about.

take your pick

All on board choo choo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf I think Pogba always actually plays this way. The key difference between this and Southampton was that Herrera partnered Matic rather than a big fūcking space all left to Matic. This kept the teams midfield in shape. Pogba doesnt contribute enough of the "boring" midfield stuff to actually be a partner for Matic.

sigmundv wrote: »
    No question about that, but let's not pretend that they are in much better form than United.
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's Bangkok, it's kinda what he does really.

As for Best player in the league, that De Bruyne's award.

Yep de bruyne is, but if pogba performs to his maximum, he is the best player in the league imo. Id still have him in the top 5 players in the league right now

Just on scholes as a pundit, i think he has been excellent, says it as it is, doesnt hold back because players are english or whatever, if they are not doing it he just says it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think he's an incredible bore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

@limnam

The reason you get more doom and gloomers after a loss is because a loss (bad performance draw even) generates a lot of frustration and for anyone who ever felt frustration you tend to want to vent. It helps.
    After a win you feel delighted and put away the phone to enjoy it.

It should be a good thing when the doom and gloomers stay quiet after a win. It’s way worse when the doom and gloomers change their criticism to something else just to maintain their doom and gloom attitude.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think he's an incredible bore.

You more of a jamie redknapp kind of guy??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

What pleased me about today is we didn't completely surrender possession and retreat once going 1 up. Apart from a 5 or 10 minute spell where Everton applied some pressure and forced some silly mistakes, we kept our composure and looked for a 2nd.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get Lukaku back into the side. We played well today and finished with a relatively comfortable win. There seemed to be lots of energy and movement in our attacks which was nice to see. Just looked at the stats and we played less long balls tonight than in any of our previous 6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf I think Pogba always actually plays this way. The key difference between this and Southampton was that Herrera partnered Matic rather than a big fūcking space all left to Matic. This kept the teams midfield in shape. Pogba doesnt contribute enough of the "boring" midfield stuff to actually be a partner for Matic.
    Pogba has not always played the way he did tonight. I don't have the exact figures on hand but a quick scan of the heatmaps show that he had a higher % of touches in the opposition's half and in the box tonight in comparison with previous outings.

It may be a coincidence that he and the team just happened to put in this performance on a night where Jose gave him a 'free role' further up the pitch but I seriously doubt it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Pogba has not always played the way he did tonight. I don't have the exact figures on hand but a quick scan of the heatmaps show that he had a higher % of touches in the opposition's half and in the box tonight in comparison with previous outings.

It may be a coincidence that he and the team just happened to put in this performance on a night where Jose gave him a 'free role' further up the pitch but I seriously doubt it.

Havent seen any heat maps but id say its very red on the left hand side of the pitch. His best position

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get Lukaku back into the side. We played well today and finished with a relatively comfortable win. There seemed to be lots of energy and movement in our attacks which was nice to see. Just looked at the stats and we played less long balls tonight than in any of our previous 6 games.

While I agree with you I think It isn’t Lukaku’s fault we hit it long. It’s Jose’s tactics which decide if we hit it long or not. But I agree that with Lukaku playing Jose may feel it’s productive to hit it long and that happens more often. I’d be quite happy putting Lukaku up front tonight and playing exactly the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lovely finish by Jesse, what a season he is having. What a season he is having. I'd definitely see this as his breaking out season. Hopefully can continue to play like this for the remainder and the following.

Also happy to see Shaw getting regular games.

Just seen the jose clip talking about scholes, i dont think he actually meant pogba earns more than scholes, think he was talking about pogbas price tag so i take back what i said earlier

• Adamocovic wrote: »
    Lovely finish by Jesse, what a season he is having. What a season he is having. I'd definitely see this as his breaking out season. Hopefully can continue to play like this for the remainder and the following.

Also happy to see Shaw getting regular games.
    Again not afraid to say I'm one of his biggest critics but man he's killing it

He's becoming a consistant threat towards the goal

He runs at the defence and is highly skillful, very hard to tackle

A nightmare for the defenders

And to be fair to him his finishing is steadily improving

We all know he has a great strike in him it's just he's starting to do it in a more regularly manner

His runs are opening up space for Pogba to create too

Just seen the jose clip talking about scholes, i dont think he actually meant pogba earns more than scholes, think he was talking about pogbas price tag so i take back what i said earlier

Doesn’t he say something like “it’s not Paul’s fault he made more money than Paul Scholes”. On the face of it it means exactly how it sounds, but with Jose’s English it could mean “Costs” instead of “Made”. That changes it significantly in fairness.

More of a reason why Jose should just keep his mouth shut though. Rise above it.

One thing you can’t escape though is Jose was having a proper dig at Scholes so it wouldn’t surprise me if his words weren’t minced and he meant exactly what he said.

Makes great drama. :) Scholes will be delighted too. He knows Jose is listening now.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Doesn’t he say something like “it’s not Paul’s fault he made more money than Paul Scholes”. On the face of it it means exactly how it sounds, but with Jose’s English it could mean “Costs” instead of “Made”. That changes it significantly in fairness.

More of a reason why Jose should just keep his mouth shut though. Rise above it.

Yea on paper it reads like that, watching the whole clip i dont think thats what he means. He means its not pauls fault he cost so much money...

GSPfan wrote: »
    One thing you can’t escape though is Jose was having a proper dig at Scholes so it wouldn’t surprise me if his words weren’t minced and he meant exactly what he said.

Makes great drama. :) Scholes will be delighted too. He knows Jose is listening now.

I doubt either of them give a **** to be honest. Scholes is doing his job as a pundit, jose is answering a question about scholes in press conference. They are in the game long enough. Both will sleep well tonight

Last thought before bed......

How many of us will now be thinking “I hope Lingard is playing” in our next Premier League game? Did you ever think you’d say that?

Mental to think he has become such an important player for us. Good on him.

I doubt either of them give a **** to be honest. Scholes is doing his job as a pundit, jose is answering a question about scholes in press conference. They are in the game long enough. Both will sleep well tonight

Jose definitely gives a shít. He wouldn’t have made such a deal about it if he didn’t. Scholes will be laughing his arse off. Job done for him. Dunphy 101 - Say something controversial to get a response.

But none of them will be losing sleep of course. It’s a bit of fun that will be yesterday’s news by tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement