Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Last thought before bed......

How many of us will now be thinking “I hope Lingard is playing” in our next Premier League game? Did you ever think you’d say that?

Mental to think he has become such an important player for us. Good on him.

Form and stats cannot be denied
    25 years of age and an academy player blossoming
    The thing that Utd fans love (well defo me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I do see match threads are dying a slow death on Boards. Just ourselves now in keeping with tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure what the issue is. Scholes didn't like something and made a comment on that. Jose thinks comment was unfair and called out Scholes.

Jose isn't the only manager who had problems with Scholes, Van Gaal had it too. It's all good to give honest opinion and speak your mind but you have to put it in right manner imo. For example Henry criticized Lukaku when Lukaku was scoring in every game, he backed his opinion with nice analysis.

Saying empty words like Pogba isn't working hard or looking like same Pogba as we saw in Juventus won't cut it as Pogba is better allround player now and also the midfield support he had at Juventus was just amazing whereas at ManUtd we don't have similar players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Taking on the pundits generally never ends well for the manager. In fairness to Scholes what he said was spot on. It's upto Jose to improve the standard of football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

're Jessie, for me his biggest improvement this season has been his decision making. Over the last few seasons he had a tendency to run into blind corners, take on shots from impossible positions and try and play impossible passes. He is much cuter this season and his vision has improved exponentially.

I'm delighted to say he is proving me completely wrong this year, at the start of the season I would have been happy to see him restricted to being a bit part player but he has more than earned a starring2 berth.

Hopefully this continues on, he could be a massively influential player for us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Just saw that press conference...the tone of it....what a horrible classless c**t...

Take yourself back 10 or 12 years... could you ever imagine yourself defending or justifying that kind of talk by Mourinho against a United legend like Paul Scholes. That's mad Ted.

2 lovely goals last night and some very nice play in second half.

I thought Mata picked up the ball in some lovely areas to link things together, I think he gets so much unjustified grief. Pogba was obviously excellent and the 433 seemed to give a bit more control of the pitch. We did drop back and invite Everton on to is though when we went 1-0 up though which I suppose is par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jose definitely gives a shít. He wouldn’t have made such a deal about it if he didn’t. Scholes will be laughing his arse off. Job done for him. Dunphy 101 - Say something controversial to get a response.

But none of them will be losing sleep of course. It’s a bit of fun that will be yesterday’s news by tomorrow.

It was hardly controversial in fairness. He just said what the majority of people in here have been saying for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Speaking off...

435 - It's now 435 days since Paul Pogba last ended on the losing team in a Premier League game (October 23rd 2016 v Chelsea). Since then he's played in 34 games (W21 D13 L0), while Man Utd have lost five games without him in this period.

He's also has 7 assists in 12 games while KDB has 9 in 21 games. Pretty impressive actually and has registered an assist on average every 149 minutes in the Premier League this season, the best record of any player to have managed more than 1 assist this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

He's also has 7 assists in 12 games while KDB has 9 in 21 games. Pretty impressive actually and has registered an assist on average every 149 minutes in the Premier League this season, the best record of any player to have managed more than 1 assist this season.

Not bad for a "YouTube Footballer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    It was hardly controversial in fairness. He just said what the majority of people in here have been saying for a while

That Pogba wasn't fit enough and wasn't working hard enough, not like he was at Juve? I honestly don't remember people saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Lingard reminds me of Darren Fletcher, always gave his all for United, but (initially) never looked the part. Then turned a corner and became a really great player. Hopefully Lingard keeps going at this level. Seems to have a really good attitude.

That Pogba wasn't fit enough and wasn't working hard enough, not like he was at Juve? I honestly don't remember people saying that.

There was loads on here saying he was only jogging back when we lost the ball...

bangkok wrote: »
    There was loads on here saying he was only jogging back when we lost the ball...

Thats different to claiming he is putting in less effort than he did at Juve.

I don't know what his defensive responsibilities were at Juve. But were people also saying he isn't putting the effort in on his fitness anymore? Were they questioning his professionalism as Scholes did?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Since Scholes has become a pundit there have been many debates on here about comments he's made.
    Brilliant player and can say what he wants but I don't normally give much interest in them.

José being José as always will have his views about pundits and complain, nothing new there. I can understand both sides to it, Scholes is there to speak his mind but I do find more times than not that his work is based on singling out players and criticising them.

This is of course what he is paid to do and is just expressing his opinion but after a prolonged period of opinions being mainly negative you can get a reputation of never having a good word to say. This is not to say I don't agree with some things he says but when I see a headline about a comment he's made now about a United player I tend to just think "same old Scholesy". Similarly to my reaction when Mourinho complains during press conferences.

Obviously just my opinion of it all and I know many love his punditry but it's not really my cup of tea.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Since Scholes has become a pundit there have been many debates on here about comments he's made.
    Brilliant player and can say what he wants but I don't normally give much interest in them.

José being José as always will have his views about pundits and complain, nothing new there. I can understand both sides to it, Scholes is there to speak his mind but I do find more times than not that his work is based on singling out players and criticising them.

This is of course what he is paid to do and is just expressing his opinion but after a prolonged period of opinions being mainly negative you can get a reputation of never having a good word to say. This is not to say I don't agree with some things he says but when I see a headline about a comment he's made now about a United player I tend to just think "same old Scholesy". Similarly to my reaction when Mourinho complains during press conferences.

Obviously just my opinion of it all and I know many love his punditry but it's not really my cup of tea.
    My issue with Scholes is that his criticism is very selective.

He defended Rooney and his countless poor performances. Then questions Pogba's professionalism. I feel there is an agenda or at least a bias in that.

My issue with Jose is I don't like him bringing money and jealousy in to it. Its crass.

Anyone think there is a chance we sign somone this window?

I personally don't think it is likely, seems like United plan for big summer moves, and won't look beyond their summer targets in january.

What I would like to see is:

Darmian sold.
    TFM brought back. Pereira brought back. Mahrez signed.

TFM would be second choice right back, backup CB too. Shaw and Young (backup Rojo/Blind) at left back. Pereira could play basically anywhere in midfield. Could play in place of any of Pogba, Lingard or Herrera in yesterdays team. We lack depth in midfield and I think he'd be a great addition. Could easily take a spot ahead of Herrera.

Mahrez would solve the issue I see with the right side of the pitch. Can cross, can dribble, can pass - would be a great 'different' option out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Apologies if it's been posted already but I don't follow this thread (honest! :p)

I suppose the prediction shouldn't be too surprising given the quality of the quote's source but credit where it's due

https://twitter.com/DahiiBhalla/status/947917559558438918

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think Jose will have a list of players he'd like, and if they become available, we'll get them. On the other hand, I don't think he'll sign a player for the sake of doing so, or sign a lesser player rather than wait till the summer for his first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How is Lingard built like Jean Tigana?

That's an odd quote.

S.M.B. wrote: »

That's an odd quote.

I imagine he was referring to the fact they are/were both slender light players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That's an odd quote.

Jean Tigana was really skinny as a player and at the time of the quote Jesse hadn’t bulked up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

That's an odd quote.

Yeah my memory of Tigana was tall and lanky not like Lingard at all. Maybe he expected Lingard to grow a few more inches.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Yeah my memory of Tigana was tall and lanky not like Lingard at all. Maybe he expected Lingard to grow a few more inches.

Tigana was tiny, was about 5’5 or 5’6

Lingard is taller.

You must be thinking of a different player, tigana was def not tall and lanky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fair enough, I don't remember Tigana being skinny but that's either A) my hazy memory or B) the whole point of fergies quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads did someone post a link if Jose press conference where he was talking about scholes? Or was I drunk....

• Advertisement

Seriously why bring that talk back into the tread we just got rid of the neutrals yesterday.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Seriously why bring that talk back into the tread we just got rid of the neutrals yesterday.

Deleted it

Was asking in the general sense of things.

Could we sign somebody like Dybala in March for example and then he doesn't play for Juventus after that. I know he wouldn't be able to be registered until the window but what about signing?

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Deleted it

Was asking in the general sense of things.

Could we sign somebody like Dybala in March for example and then he doesn't play for Juventus after that. I know he wouldn't be able to be registered until the window but what about signing?

Didn't mean it in a nasty way it just ruins the thread and it's bad enough without adding fuel.

We could sign anyone at anytime but why would they do it? If they were going to sign him mid season in march it would be only a verbal agreement and then stuff is signed at end of season. He won't want to not play football for two months no one would.

Forgot I did this yesterday sitting in pub full as an egg was a nice surprise when I logged into my sky bet account.

Screenshot_20180102-171619.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/948227380199477248

"It’s reported #Napoli have agreed a €30m deal for Alex Grimaldo, which will see Faouzi Ghoulam sold to #MUFC for €60m"

Dunno if we'd sign him now though, doesn't he have an ACL injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Scholes is a great one for being ready to jab the knife in when things get rough for a few games. I'd say Jose is just sick of Scholes always having something negative to say.

In fairness not sure why the manager expected, it was a disgraceful display, only made worse by his terrible attempts at deflection afterwards. Thought the panel that night were spot on, bar Keown saying he looks to have lost the dressing room. That was premature.

But the state of the performance, warranted all the critiscm that came, and for once Scholes wasn't ridiculous and I thought was some tempered and measured.

Jose did two days later do the exact thing Scholes was saying Pogba should be doing btw, which I thought was funny :)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are ya serious lad?
    Doc, honestly love you as a poster but some of this Jose stuff is seriously blinding your judgement
    If Shaw continues to stay fit and play consistently and well under Jose then expect people to praise his man management

I'm absolutely serious :D

Don't know if anyone has seen the Lingard story/rumour/gossip but it's actually hilarious if true, like genuinely, what were you thinking hilarious :D:D

Also find the timing on those types of stories so strange and seedy.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has seen the Lingard story/rumour/gossip but it's actually hilarious if true, like genuinely, what were you thinking hilarious :D:D

Also find the timing on those types of stories so strange and seedy.

It was the sun, what dya expect.. they have pulled the story Btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I genuinely think society would benefit from outlawing the publication of details of anyone’s private life unless a crime was suspected or committed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Talks of Romero wanting a move to secure his world cup spot.

Can't begrudge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

GSPfan wrote: »
    I genuinely think society would benefit from outlawing the publication of details of anyone’s private life unless a crime was suspected or committed.

After seeing the story, pretty sure cheating on her with her would qualify as a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can't begrudge him.

He’s been number one whilst he’s been our number 2 tho so what has changed? Is someone challenging him for the shirt ?

J. Marston wrote: »
    After seeing the story, pretty sure cheating on her with her would qualify as a crime.

Indeed.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Jean Tigana was really skinny as a player and at the time of the quote Jesse hadn’t bulked up yet

He’s bulked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

btw isnt it great to see Stoke in a relegation battle, hopefully they go down and bring Hughes with them

Headshot wrote: »
    btw isnt it great to see Stoke in a relegation battle, hopefully they go down and bring Hughes with them

Please god. And I’m an atheist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Can't begrudge him.

Well he was no.1 when he was second choice for Samdoria
    I think his place is fine now when he is idolised in Argentina and the one player they trust outside of Messi
    A bull**** story with zero logic, the last time he was first choice at a club was 2012 for a newly promoted Sampdoria
    But has always kept his place for Argentina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/948227380199477248

"It’s reported #Napoli have agreed a €30m deal for Alex Grimaldo, which will see Faouzi Ghoulam sold to #MUFC for €60m"

Dunno if we'd sign him now though, doesn't he have an ACL injury?

tumblr_nxptowlNLf1uadtj8o1_250.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement