If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sound system for movies etc

Options
  • 07-12-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

hi guys

I bought my existing surround sound system from you back in 2008, onkyo 870 and monitor audio speakers.  It's served me well but I've moved house and left the old wiring behind.  People tell me that current sound systems can be Bluetooth (wireless) or sound bars can be quite good.  As I'm laying a new wood floor soon, I'd appreciate any advice on what wireless systems or soundbars might replace my current system or else I'll be looking for new wiring to run under the floor.  

Thanks

David

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

D13exile wrote: »
    hi guys

I bought my existing surround sound system from you back in 2008, onkyo 870 and monitor audio speakers.  It's served me well but I've moved house and left the old wiring behind.  People tell me that current sound systems can be Bluetooth (wireless) or sound bars can be quite good.  As I'm laying a new wood floor soon, I'd appreciate any advice on what wireless systems or soundbars might replace my current system or else I'll be looking for new wiring to run under the floor.  

Thanks

David
    Hi David.

Thanks for the post.

What speakers are you running at the moment as Monitor Audio are very good.

I would worry that a soundbar would not compare to your current setup, unless you spent a fair bit on one.

Usually the best thing to do is upgrade your receiver as a lot of the NEW ones have bluetooth and streaming capabilities built in. This would allow you to use your current speakers.
    Something like the Sony STRDN1080 (5 star review and award winning receiver) priced at £498.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-strdn1080.aspx

Or the Denon AVRX2400 (Also 5 star revired in What Hifi) priced at £399.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-avrx2400.aspx

There are no wireless speakers for 5.1 home cinema that we stock or that I can even think of.
    (In saying that Sonos allows for its play 1's to be paired to its Playbar for 5.1 wirelessly but they still need a power suplly to each and would cost in and around £1500 for the playbar, sub and play 1 x2).

Let m know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like I'll need to run new speaker cables no matter what I do.  While I'm chewing over my options, can you recommend a good speaker cable please as I need to get this asap so I can put it down before I can lay my wooden floor?  I'll need about 20 metres of cable

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like I'll need to run new speaker cables no matter what I do.  While I'm chewing over my options, can you recommend a good speaker cable please as I need to get this asap so I can put it down before I can lay my wooden floor?  I'll need about 20 metres of cable

Thanks again
    Hi D13exile.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio Ultra Micro. Its a nice fine cable which will be easy to run under the floor, plus is silver based over the normal copper ones.
    Priced at £3.19 per meter. I could offer at £2.50 per meter.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-910743-ultra-micro.aspx

Or Cambridge also do an under carper/floor cable the symphony 300 priced at £2.19 per meter. I could offer at £1.55 per meter.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-100247-symphony-300.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Hi

I'll take 20 metres of the Cambride ultra micro at £2.50 per metre. How do I place the order?

Thanks

David

Hi

I'll take 20 metres of the Cambride ultra micro at £2.50 per metre. How do I place the order?

Thanks

David
    Hi David.

If you drop me a contact number in a PM we can give you a call for some details.

• Advertisement

PM sent Kenny

PM sent Kenny
    Thanks D13exile.

Will be in touch ASAP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.