Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Cod

• 07-12-2017 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

How do I catch cod? Not a sea angler apart from mackeral so I wouldn't have a clue. Beach fishing on the south coast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You could try with fresh mackerel, squid or peeler crab. You want a good rod that can put out a good cast, research some of the beaches in your area to see how they fair for cod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You could try with fresh mackerel, squid or peeler crab. You want a good rod that can put out a good cast, research some of the beaches in your area to see how they fair for cod.

Youghal is closest to me which I heard is exellent for cod. I need to know details like how far out to cast, how much lead weight ect. How long to leave out before recast. Do I just use a strip of mackeral or a full one?

Appreciate any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Youghal is closest to me which I heard is exellent for cod. I need to know details like how far out to cast, how much lead weight ect. How long to leave out before recast. Do I just use a strip of mackeral or a full one?

Appreciate any advice

Crab is king in youghal but lug and razor will also get fish. If I was going fishing for cod in youghal and I didn't have crab I wouldn't bother going tbh.
    Alternate your casts, as far as you can go, then 30/40 yards till you find the fish.
    Leads will depend on the surf and tide, a 3 oz plain lead might be fine one night and 6oz grippers could struggle another.
    If I was using small hooks and baits I might pull them in every 10/15mins, big hooks and baits might be 30/35 mins if there aren't many crabs about picking at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

All I would add to reds advice is if you can and the tides are right try fishing after dark. Some of the biggest cod I've seen landed in youghal and monkstown were after dark.

Crab may be expensive to buy if you can't source your own but realistically will make for a productive days fishing over the other baits you mentioned

Thanks lads. Appreciate that. Last questions. Which tide is best and where would I buy crab near youghal? It'd be up by the quality hotel id be going is that an ok spot

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. Appreciate that. Last questions. Which tide is best and where would I buy crab near youghal? It'd be up by the quality hotel id be going is that an ok spot

That's up around green park?
    Smaller tides will be easier to fish as the run of water can be horrible. Fishing about 90mims either side of high and low water will be easiest, especially on bigger tides and then the beaches might be better.
    I wouldn't bother fishing the beach until after dark, your wasting bait otherwise.
    Ferrypoint can be worth a go too and will throw a few fish up in daylight.

It'll more than likely be dark when I head down, I've seen online it's the best too. Why would I be wasting bait in daylight though?
    Thanks again for everything, I hope to head down next Thursday and hopefully I'll have some nice pics for ye. Is there a bag or size limit for cod? Anything else Ya think might help me I'm all ears

Quality hotel is in Redbarn area as far as I know. Just a few miles west of youghal town

Quality hotel is in Redbarn area as far as I know. Just a few miles west of youghal town

Wasting bait as in there's a much lesser chance of a decent fish in daylight. Some beaches are good in daylight, others aren't and youghal is one of them.
    If it was me fishing a beach down there I'd go to claycastle. Just after perks turn down to the swimming pool and into the carpark for the beach. Fish anywhere along that stretch.
    If its still daylight try small hooks, maybe size 4 or 6 and fish very close in, plenty of flounder to keep you occupied till its dark. Small strips of lug and tiny bits of mackerel will do.
    Once darkness hits go with bigger hooks and crab.
    Good chance of a decent ray around there. Make sure you let the drag off a little so you can pull line off, if your back is turned and a good fish takes the bait it'll stop the rod crashing over and going in.

Advertisement