Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2017

Options
  • 07-12-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Its my second Christmas without my father, who was the light of my life & I feel sick about it. Dreading it all completely,
    This year my mother is going to the UK for Christmas to family as she can't face Christmas without him.
    Its the first time in all my entire life that at Christmas I have no parent around. No family home "base", to visit. How life can change dramatically. I wish people would realise Christmas isn't happy for everyone. Some people are very lonely. Its very hard. Thinking of it fills me with dread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Christmas is tough for so many people.
    Can you go with your mom? Do you want to?
    Is there any friend that you could spend even part of the day with?
    I realise its hard to see so.many people welcoming family home. Meeting up with family and friends and you feel that you have no.one. its not that it gets easier with time - its just that you get used to it.
    Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Christmas is tough for so many people.
    Can you go with your mom? Do you want to?
    Is there any friend that you could spend even part of the day with?
    I realise its hard to see so.many people welcoming family home. Meeting up with family and friends and you feel that you have no.one. its not that it gets easier with time - its just that you get used to it.
    Take care

Hi Rubberchikken, I won't be alone on that day thankfully, as I have my boyfriends family,who are taking me in for the day, Its just a time of year that I feel is very difficult for so many people. It amplifies the sense of loss. I wouldn't go with my mother, I have to work on the 27th so it wouldn't make sense for me. Thanks for the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

That's so tough OP, this is my first Christmas without my Mom and I am dreading it so much. She was everything to me and we had a special routine that St Stephens morning I would come down stairs and jump into the bed with her and chat about everything. I am 38 years old!
    I am planning to stay in my own house Christmas night this year with my partner to try and break tradition but I know it will hurt me regardless when I wake up on St Stephens day.
    Christmas has always been my favourite time of year, not sure what this year will bring. Mom only passed away 8 weeks ago so its still extremely raw.
    I suppose I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, I will have my family around me but without Mom it wont feel the same.
    I will try enjoy Christmas as much as she would have, I know she would want me to.
    I hope it all goes ok for you xx

Advertisement