Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on new property that is actually not new

Options
  • 07-12-2017 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

A quick question folks.

If I built a property back in 2005 but I'm only selling it now (for the first time) should I charge VAT on this sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Did you recover the VAT on the construction? If not, why on earth would you want to charge VAT on the sale - a buyer will pay no more but you will have to share it with Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mm007

don't want to

if the buyer expects VAT part so that her stamp duty is based on PRICE minus VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to get professional advice on this - a solicitor who does this type of conveyancing or an accountant familiar with the property rules.

Most property transactions attract stamp duty. Transactions for improved property (e.g. new
    buildings, improved farmland) attract VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

mm007 wrote: »
    A quick question folks.

If I built a property back in 2005 but I'm only selling it now (for the first time) should I charge VAT on this sale?

Are you an accountable person? Run it by whoever does your vat returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

AFAIK, if the property was completed more than 5 years ago, its not a new property and is VAT exempt.

Check with your solicitor

• Advertisement
Advertisement