Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boolean Algebra

Options
  • 07-12-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭

I'm developing a system and need to express part of the design for it using Boolean Algebra. This will go into a formal document.

However, there are a number of notation styles:

AND: ^ . &
    OR: v + ||
    NOT: ¬ ! ~

Is there a subset of these which are the recognised symbols or how do I choose which to use? I've grown up using . + !
    However, I thought this would have been standardised by now. Otherwise I'll have to put a key into the document to the symbols which I'd like to avoid doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm developing a system and need to express part of the design for it using Boolean Algebra. This will go into a formal document.

However, there are a number of notation styles:

AND: ^ . &
    OR: v + ||
    NOT: ¬ ! ~

Is there a subset of these which are the recognised symbols or how do I choose which to use? I've grown up using . + !
    However, I thought this would have been standardised by now. Otherwise I'll have to put a key into the document to the symbols which I'd like to avoid doing.
    I would say it depends on the context, choose one set of symbols and stick with it.

All developers should recognise &&, ||, ! as they universal boolean operators available in almost every programming language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

&& and || are bitwise operators in certain languages.

Wiki seems to state that v, ^, ¬ are its primary indications.
    (Source: https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra)

However, this site (random one I know) defines Algebraic Notation as what I would like to use:
    (Source: https://www.dcode.fr/boolean-expressions-calculator)

Looks like it is longhand!

Advertisement