Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAYO EWE STOCKING RATE

• 07-12-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

What would a year round STOCKING RATE be for mayo mountain ewes on a 10 acres of very good land split into 3 3 acres paddocks??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What would a year round STOCKING RATE be for mayo mountain ewes on a 10 acres of very good land split into 3 3 acres paddocks??
    Wintering outside on land? If so u gonna buy silage or try and make it off the paddocks in the summer? Selling all ewe lambs aswell or keeping replacements? Fattening lambs or selling as stores a lot of variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thunderbird

Lambman wrote: »
    Wintering outside on land? If so u gonna buy silage or try and make it off the paddocks in the summer? Selling all ewe lambs aswell or keeping replacements? Fattening lambs or selling as stores a lot of variables.

Plan for two cuts of silage off 1 paddock.Keep replacements every 3 years to replace cull ewes.sell hiltex lambs as stores

That closes 1 paddock down from say March till august which is the time frame were you will have all the lambs with the ewes so that means you've 6 acres for ewes and lambs... on good land I'd guess 5 ewes per acre that's over 6 acres so 30 ewes if you lamb at 150% that'll be 45 lambs aswell... when I work it out sounds heavily stocked at that even...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thunderbird

Lambman wrote: »
    That closes 1 paddock down from say March till august which is the time frame were you will have all the lambs with the ewes so that means you've 6 acres for ewes and lambs... on good land I'd guess 5 ewes per acre that's over 6 acres so 30 ewes if you lamb at 150% that'll be 45 lambs aswell... when I work it out sounds heavily stocked at that even...

Was thinking 20 ewes. 14 acres of reclaimed land for sale at €45000 beside me but its a big investment' neighbour might rent to me as we're friendly enough.

I'd say 20 would be plenty alright.... if I was in ur position I'd keep the land for grazing and buy bales at the backend when there cheap say €20 a bale you would only need a dozen max for 20 ewes that's €240... but you'd be fit till keep 10 more ewes so hopefully that's 15 extra lambs till sell...

• Advertisement
Advertisement