Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life on a Bike (E-Bike Content)

Options
  • 07-12-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I started a thread not so long ago about e-bike etiquette as I was selling the second car and was intending on using an e-bike as my primary mode of transport.

So the car eventually sold and I bought my bike. My commute is 26km round trip. I've been commuting for 4 weeks now, and I'd never commuted by bike before although in my late 40's, I've been a "cyclist" since I was 14.

My observations so far are, e-bikes are fantastic. I live on the coast and regardless of weather, specifically gales, I want to cycle in every morning. Being able to adjust the levels of assist means you can work as hard or as easy as you feel, from 25% assist to 280%.

I was worried about etiquette, and so far I haven't seen any, from anyone. I do stop at red lights and it surprises me the swarm of people that move around me on bicycles and on foot. BUT, I have been amazed what a bell can do.

The bike came with a bell (Obviously) see above, and it's non aggressive, "Ding, Ding" works magic.

One of the great things about riding an ebike is that you can allow people to draft you. Especially on the coast it's been great fun to do that.

The best thing is cycling every day makes me want to do it more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What bike did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

A Haibike Sduro Trekking

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Etc wrote: »
    ...I was worried about etiquette, and so far I haven't seen any, from anyone....
    I think that Garmins fitted to E bikes is the most serious breach of etiquette that I see.

I think that Garmins fitted to E bikes is the most serious breach of etiquette that I see.[/QUOTE

What has this got to do with my post ?

..What has this got to do with my post ?
    Isn't your thread about etiquette while using an E bike?

I'm not losing sleep over it but it would be a bit like wearing a Garmin watch while getting the bus to work. :D

EDIT: I see now that's it's about life on an e bike - apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...My commute is 26km round trip. I've been commuting for 4 weeks now, and I'd never commuted by bike before although in my late 40's, I've been a "cyclist" since I was 14. ....

You won't know yourself come the summer.

Isn't your thread about etiquette while using an E bike?

I'm not losing sleep over it but it would be a bit like wearing a Garmin watch while getting the bus to work. :D

EDIT: I see now that's it's about life on an e bike - apologies!

Grand, I'll leave it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

What's the max power output on your Haibike?

I've come across a lad heading into Dublin from Bray on one of those a few times and you'd want to be going at a pretty savage pace to keep with it. No idea what model it is though. I had the Powertap on the bike one day a week or two ago and came across another lad on an eBike who was riding along at a steady 350w!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »

I've come across a lad heading into Dublin from Bray on one of those a few times and you'd want to be going at a pretty savage pace to keep with it. No idea what model it is though. I had the Powertap on the bike one day a week or two ago and came across another lad on an eBike who was riding along at a steady 350w!

Ah yeah, forget about it. You may as well try an keep up with a motorbike (which is what they are in fairness when it boils down to it). You can also "chip" them so they're not restricted by whatever it is - 26kph? or whatever?

It's a 500w motor, the higher the gear you're in the more assist you get, so your actually better off spinning a high gear.

It's a bit of a shock when I get onto my road bike and remember I'm not as fit as I thought !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have seen similar on the Rock Road. White bike. Can never get near him to ask about it. I could be doing 30 km/h (on a good day!) and he flies past me. Must be easily 40 km/h plus.

There is one young lad in a Bray Wheelers jersey who can stay with him.

Not you???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have seen similar on the Rock Road. White bike. Can never get near him to ask about it. I could be doing 30 km/h (on a good day!) and he flies past me. Must be easily 40 km/h plus.

There is one young lad in a Bray Wheelers jersey who can stay with him.

Not you???

Not me, no. I know who you're talking about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Don't really understand why you would buy an e-bike to do a 13km commute given that you are already a cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Fun, Heavy pannier loads, Hills, Wind, Lots more energy at the end of the week, Fun again!

15km each way for me. Just commuter cycling on and off for the past 20 years. Recent eBike convert. I still get a workout cycling along in the low 30s after the assistance abandons me at 26km/h. Cycling home with two panniers, laptop and gear on a Friday is no longer a slog. I love using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I love my bike fitted out with an electric motor. I'd actually forgotten how nice it was to cycle (if you call it cycling).

It's worth noting however that legally I believe the maximum engine power/size is 250w. If yours exceeds this you could get in trouble if a garda was having a bad day and stopped you. In Ireland you can't have a throttle either as that automatically makes it an MPV and you'd definitely be in a world of pain with a cranky garda particularly if say you were involved in a accident.

I love my bike fitted out with an electric motor. I'd actually forgotten how nice it was to cycle (if you call it cycling).

It's worth noting however that legally I believe the maximum engine power/size is 250w. If yours exceeds this you could get in trouble if a garda was having a bad day and stopped you. In Ireland you can't have a throttle either as that automatically makes it an MPV and you'd definitely be in a world of pain with a cranky garda particularly if say you were involved in a accident.

Mine doesn't have a throttle, it only has pedal assist and many of the models on the market have motors bigger than 250w but are restricted to 26kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mine doesn't have a throttle, it only has pedal assist and many of the models on the market have motors bigger than 250w but are restricted to 26kph.

Can't find anything specific but the common rule amoungst a lot of countries is a legal restriction to 250w. You'll see the transport minister was asked accordingly in 2015. http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/08/transport-minister-questioned-on-powerful-electric-bicycles/

Just because you're sold something doesn't mean it's legal to use on road and I don't think just restricting it to 25kph matters. Of course you'd still need to be unlucky enough to be stopped, you'd need to have the wattage written somewhere on the engine and the garda would still need to know the relevant laws and even THEN would probably have to have gotten out of bed the wrong way that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Can't find anything specific but the common rule amoungst a lot of countries is a legal restriction to 250w. You'll see the transport minister was asked accordingly in 2015. http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/08/transport-minister-questioned-on-powerful-electric-bicycles/

Just because you're sold something doesn't mean it's legal to use on road and I don't think just restricting it to 25kph matters. Of course you'd still need to be unlucky enough to be stopped, you'd need to have the wattage written somewhere on the engine and the garda would still need to know the relevant laws and even THEN would probably have to have gotten out of bed the wrong way that day.

I think you’re more at risk if you’re on a converted push bike with a petrol engine, I’ve seen a few of them pulled over.

.... and the garda would still need to know the relevant laws and even THEN would probably have to have gotten out of bed the wrong way that day.
    I think I'd be more concerned about the consequences if involved in an accident rather than the knowledge/mood of a Garda during a routine check.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

The bikes fitted with a Petrol engine are no doubt questionable,to say the least.

When outside of city's and not Traffic Garda there more curious about the bike as a whole and how it ride's.

If your using a dongle just unplug it !
    Looking at doing a conversion on my older 2012 mountain bike ,just deciding on motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

bikes with petrol motors aren't ebikes, I don't know what you'd call them actually, but a very different beast to an ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

There is a Uk site dedicated to home conversions , lots of advice there and on you tube , the barfang motors seem to be quite highly thought of.

Advertisement