Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blakestown church to shut down

Options
  • 07-12-2017 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭

Apparently Blakestown church is to shut down because of money issues in the new year.

Anyone know anything about this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I hadn't heard this but it wouldn't surprise me, it's very poorly attended. Even Christmas Mass (the only time I'm there other than funerals tbh) it is only half the congregation it used to be. There is a relatively new parish priest there though, I'd be surprised they'd moved him in if they are closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

The heating is broke and they have waste water issues, that and the decline in people result in it being closed on the 4th January 2018

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Kev. wrote: »
    The heating is broke and they have waste water issues, that and the decline in people result in it being closed on the 4th January 2018

Looks like it will be my last Christmas Mass there if that is true! :eek:

I can understand why it's closing but it's a shame to see the church where our family have had so many celebrations (and a family funeral) close up and many other families I know too.

I see someone has set up a Save our Church Facebook page - what use that will be I don't know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sign of the times. The huge church in Finglas West is to be demolished as attendances are now so low.

Expect many more churches to close over the coming decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sign of the times. The huge church in Finglas West is to be demolished as attendances are now so low.

Expect many more churches to close over the coming decade.

The building also had problems.
    Falling attendance at the church, as well as structural problems with the church building itself, have persisted in recent years.

The large site can accommodate over 3,000 parishioners, but there will only be room for 350 in the new, much smaller building.

In a statement on the parish website – first reported by the Irish Times this morning – local priest Father Eamon Cahill said that the parish had “struggled for many years with the extensive building problems” in the church.

Advertisement