Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow and sheep

• 07-12-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Lads, there is heavy snow forecast for wicklow on Sunday. I have 70 Ewes out on 50 acres at the moment. I don't have a shed yet (am building one). Would it be best to move them all into a smallish paddock so I can keep an eye on them and feed them? Or would they be better off in a field with lots of shelter under bushes? I would be worried about snow drifts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Snow drifts are the main danger with snow and sheep.
    Make sure have a good count on them so you'll be able to know if there's any in drifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

What are people doing regarding the snow with their sheep?
    I've lambs inside being finished, no problem there.
    I 've my March lambing flock out place covered in snow. They had plenty of grass before the snow.
    I've a group of ewe lambs our same as above except not in lamb.
    Should I start to introduce feed or would it be ok to give it 24hrs to see if the snow stays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

What stage of pregnancy are they at? A bale of hay would be not harm,ruminants need full bellies to keep warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

grassroot1 wrote: »
    What stage of pregnancy are they at? A bale of hay would be not harm,ruminants need full bellies to keep warm.
    Not lambing till 17th March.
    I never feed them till 6 weeks from due date but never had snow before. So just wondering. They seem happy enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

We are feeding hay to all sheep outdoors now they came running for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement