Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 17 45th anniversary

Options
  • 07-12-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,013 ✭✭✭✭

Today December 7th is the date that Apollo 17 lifted off the launch pad during the only night time launch. Onboard was commander Gene Cernan, Command module pilot Ron Evans and LM pilot Harrison Schmitt.

It's a shame to think we haven't even been close to going back to the moon. The Lunar module landed on the moon on December 11th 1972.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,013 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg/1919px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

This picture known as the blue marble was taken from Apollo 17 as it headed towards the moon on this day 45 years ago. I'm a big fan of the earth rise photo but this is up there.

http://www.apollo17.org/

This link is playing the mission out in real time and basically shows you everything you could possibly want to know about what was happening 45 years ago to the minute.

Edit: Click where is says join in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you haven't seen it, "Last Man on the Moon" on Netflix is a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg/1919px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

This picture known as the blue marble was taken from Apollo 17 as it headed towards the moon on this day 45 years ago. I'm a big fan of the earth rise photo but this is up there.

Seeing that photo of Earth from 45 years ago, really puts life in perspective, then seeing a picture of Earth as the pale blue dot 18 years later, really hammers home just how small Earth is in comparison to the rest of the galaxy and beyond.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Seeing that photo of Earth from 45 years ago, really puts life in perspective, then seeing a picture of Earth as the pale blue dot 18 years later, really hammers home just how small Earth is in comparison to the rest of the galaxy and beyond.

It does and I watch the International Space Station live cameras at times and seeing sunrise and sunset from space would humble you a bit. Yeah we are a very fragile small tiny dot in the middle of infinite space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    http://www.apollo17.org/

This link is playing the mission out in real time and basically shows you everything you could possibly want to know about what was happening 45 years ago to the minute.

Edit: Click where is says join in progress.

Thats a great site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Talking of the pale blue dot.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah we've been here before.

Until the SLS is man-rated and not a make-work pork bellying scheme I won't believe it's anything more than cheap sound bites, and that's before you factor in it's Trump talking.

https://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/bush_vision.html
    President Bush has unveiled a new vision for space exploration, calling on NASA to "gain a new foothold on the moon and to prepare for new journeys to the worlds beyond our own."

"Our third goal," Bush said, "is to return to the moon by 2020, as the launching point for missions beyond." He proposed sending robotic probes to the lunar surface by 2008, with a human mission as early as 2015, "with the goal of living and working there for increasingly extended periods of time."

• Advertisement

The one thing helping this time is the fear that the Chinese could land people there before the US got back. Despite having done it almost 50 years ago, the younger generation don't remember that, to them its history and I believe they would not be happy to see other countries get back there before them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Beeker wrote: »
    The one thing helping this time is the fear that the Chinese could land people there before the US got back. Despite having done it almost 50 years ago, the younger generation don't remember that, to them its history and I believe they would not be happy to see other countries get back there before them.
    A quote I heard on TV was that the US going to the moon was like a dog leaving a mark on a car, once it's marked it's territory it's not so interested.

I think it's unlikely that India will have manned space flight before the US does again. SpaceX has actually flown Dragon on a proven launch system so their manned capsule is likely to work if enough money is thrown at it.

But I think it's likely that India will have manned space flight before most if not all of Dreamchaser / Orion / New Shepard / CST-100 Starliner / New Glenn.

However

azV7bjz_700b_v1.jpg

436598.JPG

Long read about Apollo (in three parts):

The Greatest Leap

Advertisement