Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolmine Level Crossing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I don't need anything from Blanch. I'm done with the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will remain a mystery why you need a new bridge 500m from the existing one.

I used another route home today as I saw that I was approaching the level crossing at a time when it would be down. Oh, if only the poor motorists of Blanch had such certainty in their lives rather than heading half way down clonsilla road before finding traffic backed up and then not being able to do a U-turn.
    It's an ambush that's what it is. an ambush.

Its been there for decades and has a time table...

beauf wrote: »
    Its been there for decades and has a time table...
    You don't need to be telling me. CIE are the ones who need to know that they have a timetable which they are expected to keep to.
    If you head over to the commuting sub-forum you'll find wonderful discussions about CIE's concept of punctuality.

dropping out now as I'm just going over old ground.

• Advertisement

I get the train a lot and can usually miss the barrier coming down by a few minutes. I try to miss the barrier so I don't have to go over the pedestrian bridge. Its on time most of the time I get it.

The barrier stays down longer at certain times because there more than one train coming through in the same direction. Usually a mainline train and then a commuter. Then I have to be there earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Blanch Road South links directly to the existing Dr Troy Bridge. Maybe you could explain why you need another identical bridge 500m away from that one, to do exactly the same thing.

I don't get your point about locals, as all routes current and proposed go all go through Riverwood. The issue isn't access, its volume.

Explain the volume issue because I don't understand it. The large number of residents of Delwood and Kirkpatrick will benefit from a reduction in volume while a small number of residents in one part of Riverwood will see an increase in volume.

That is apart from all the improvements possible to the train schedule.

AFAIK Kirkpatrick is one tiny road. It has no through traffic.

Delwood will always have traffic because its leads to a school, a health center, and a shopping center and a pub. I'd be curious how you think people won't need to go to these once the crossing is closed. As a rat run to Castleknock rd avoiding Blanchardstown won't change either as it will still be a viable route for this. Of course this is old news, and it why it has Ramps on it in the first place. Closing the crossing will not effect the traffic in Delwood very much at all. Because anyone who has to go to those place still has to get to them, and they will use Delwood to avoid Clonsilla rd and Blanch Village. Just like they always have.

Riverwood. Between Clonsilla Rd, and Carpenter there as what 5~6 shools. Just imagine the traffic that drags to that route. Its opened to Porterstown road, which brings in the Lucan traffic and all the traffic pass through via the Dr Troy bridge. Traffic coming over a new bridge won't just go one way, it will go in all directions through Riverwood, Laurel Lodge etc. They also built a new estate at the end of Riverwood. They are very likely to build more housing the length of Porterstown road.

I would say people avoid the coolmine crossing currently. If there is another bridge it will attract even more traffic to it. It won't simply just be the same volume that currently uses the crossing.

I lucky enough I can mainly use the train or drive off peak. If think I'd go crazy if I had to drive at peak around D.15 all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

blanch152 wrote: »
    From what I remember of the plan it was FCC proposing it, not IE.

Googled this last night; it was Iarnrod Eireann, and it was only one of a couple of ideas. It never got past the draft stage, as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

AFAIK Kirkpatrick is one tiny road. It has no through traffic.

Delwood will always have traffic because its leads to a school, a health center, and a shopping center and a pub. I'd be curious how you think people won't need to go to these once the crossing is closed. As a rat run to Castleknock rd avoiding Blanchardstown won't change either as it will still be a viable route for this. Of course this is old news, and it why it has Ramps on it in the first place. Closing the crossing will not effect the traffic in Delwood very much at all. Because anyone who has to go to those place still has to get to them, and they will use Delwood to avoid Clonsilla rd and Blanch Village. Just like they always have.

Riverwood. Between Clonsilla Rd, and Carpenter there as what 5~6 shools. Just imagine the traffic that drags to that route. Its opened to Porterstown road, which brings in the Lucan traffic and all the traffic pass through via the Dr Troy bridge. Traffic coming over a new bridge won't just go one way, it will go in all directions through Riverwood, Laurel Lodge etc. They also built a new estate at the end of Riverwood. They are very likely to build more housing the length of Porterstown road.

I would say people avoid the coolmine crossing currently. If there is another bridge it will attract even more traffic to it. It won't simply just be the same volume that currently uses the crossing.

The bridge would only shift the traffic 150m, it is not creating new destinations and new journeys.

It is a symptom of how there is always someone in Ireland who objects to something new, no matter how good the improvement.

As for Kirkpatrick, yes that is only one but there is also Rockfield Park, Rockfield Drive, Coolmine Close, Coolmine Green etc. who will all benefit from the disappearance of the through traffic as Coolmine Road becomes a cul-de-sac.

As I said already, the numbers that will benefit from reduced traffic far outweigh those who will lose from increased traffic.

Edit: I didn't even include those in Glenville Drive who will benefit because it will no longer be a rat-run to get to Coolmine Level Crossing.

The bridge would only shift the traffic 150m, it is not creating new destinations and new journeys....

As I said already, the numbers that will benefit from reduced traffic far outweigh those who will lose from increased traffic....

You contradict yourself. If it doesn't create new destinations or journeys, then all those roads will still be used as rat runs to get to the new bridge and the reverse in the evening.

All it will really achieve in terms of traffic is funneling it all closer together.

No one has answered why do people use the crossing instead of Dr Troy Bridge. Because the new bridge will be identical to the existing bridge.

...It is a symptom of how there is always someone in Ireland who objects to something new, no matter how good the improvement....

Except I'm not objecting to it. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the logic. So thats just a strawman. I'm primarily a train user, anything that improves the train is fine by me.

I wonder when a 2nd bridge is built, will a third bridge be required when the first two bridges don't fix the problem of too much traffic into too few roads. Just like the first one didn't.

Except I'm not objecting to it. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the logic. So thats just a strawman. I'm primarily a train user, anything that improves the train is fine by me.

I wonder when a 2nd bridge is built, will a third bridge be required when the first two bridges don't fix the problem of too much traffic into too few roads. Just like the first one didn't.

There will be a third bridge at Clonsilla and a fourth bridge near Ashtown.

Further bridges will depend on development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No one has answered why do people use the crossing instead of Dr Troy Bridge. Because the new bridge will be identical to the existing bridge.

Because the traffic on Dr Troy Bridge is absolutely horrendous. Even with the level crossing, Coolmine Road is still quicker.

Because the traffic on Dr Troy Bridge is absolutely horrendous. Even with the level crossing, Coolmine Road is still quicker.

Exactly. Instead of taking pressure off the crossings, its actually drawn more traffic into the area. As did the Porterstown link road.

The proposed new bridge is going to be exactly the same. It will have even worse bottlenecks.
    There will be a third bridge at Clonsilla and a fourth bridge near Ashtown. Further bridges will depend on development.

We are talking about at coolmine not the rest of the line.

Advertisement