Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Snow is forecast for the north east but at sea level will be rain? I don't get it. Probably coz I'm only awake 😊❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

The ever present sceptic inside is still saying that this will all go pear shaped but it is definitely lining up to be one of the most exciting days on the boards weather forum since those 2010 days.....going to need a bit of alcohol to help me get through this tonight:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow is forecast for the north east but at sea level will be rain? I don't get it. Probably coz I'm only awake ��❄️❄️❄️❄️

Have a coffee and come back to us. :p

Very suitably vague! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This is the snow accumulation totals chart for 9am Monday morning from this mornings ECM,the 0Z run

Make of it what you will,it’s very similar to last nights Hirlam :D

6206fa022c0961df43a6bd5a9b586695.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This is the snow totals for 9am Monday morning from this mornings ECM,the 0Z run

Make of it what you will,it’s very similar to last nights Hirlam :D

6206fa022c0961df43a6bd5a9b586695.jpg

What’s the scale? I’m in the middle of north Kildare. Seems to be bang on some line between snow/rain 😂

• Advertisement

What’s the scale? I’m in the middle of north Kildare. Seems to be bang on some line between snow/rain 😂

No it’s the total snow accumulation
    It suggests Kildare will be digging out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks as though Dublin just outside the fun , enjoy lads !

No it’s the total snow accumulation
    It suggests Kildare will be digging out :)

Is blue wet though? Or lighter snow accumulation?

Is blue wet though? Or lighter snow accumulation?

Smaller accumulation ,probably suggesting rain to snow to rain
    Purple to pink though is between 4 inches and 15 inches and this is the ECM at about 60hrs from run start :eek:

Joanna Donnelly on radio one just now blanket of snow in a line from Galway to about wexford
    Treacherous driving
    Large accumilations
    Temperatures struggling
    Conditions dangerous overnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Looks as though Dublin just outside the fun , enjoy lads !

Dublin is part of the orange warning, it’s on the met eireann website updated this morning.

Midlands could do very well from this. Can only imagine the potential snow on the Wicklow mountains!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Joanna Donnelly on radio one just now...

Very bullish/matter of fact in her forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »

They must have been very confident given they published the warning yesterday.

DOCARCH wrote: »

I’m not surprised as they always go on the 00z ecm and that chart I posted would put 6 inches to a foot of snow on the major commuter routes into Dublin Monday morning
    This may change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Joanna Donnelly on radio one just now blanket of snow in a line from Galway to about wexford
    Treacherous driving
    Large accumilations
    Temperatures struggling
    Conditions dangerous overnight

Herself has to drive to from Galway to Dublin. It is literally all motorway the whole way, then m50 to clontarf. i.e. no back roads.
    She plans to start start the journey at 1pm. Edit : today (Saturday)

Based on the fact it’s mainly all motorway, should she be ok to travel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Much of south dublin is purple/pink in that last chart. There is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Ok so let's say the above chart comes to pass and we see snow dumped in those areas. How long will that lying snow last? Roughly as in a day or two? Longer?

obi604 wrote: »
    Herself has to drive to from Galway to Dublin. It is literally all motorway the whole way, then m50 to clontarf. i.e. no back roads.
    She plans to start start the journey at 1pm.

I'd be very cautious on any such journey tomorrow. Irish people and driving in snow/ice is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On Sunday? I would say not advisable. Our motorway services dont really have the capacity to clear large volumes of falling snow. Even though the snowfall should have cleared by the time she wants to travel, all roads will be very tough to negotiate, could take her 5/6+ hours rather than normal 2/3

It might be only one lane open in parts if those totals fall so a very delayed journey,traffic jams,and crashes
    Snow ploughing would not be able to keep that amount of snow even off a motorway for long
    Salting would be worthless due to continuous snow falling
    So you would want a full tank of fuel,some food ,a torch and a shovel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Dublin is part of the orange warning, it’s on the met eireann website updated this morning.

Midlands could do very well from this. Can only imagine the potential snow on the Wicklow mountains!

Its my first time in Wicklow and have to drive back to Galway tomorrow...it's not looking good is it? I'm a fair distance of the N11 too, so the back roads from Aughrim might be undrivable :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

I'd be very cautious on any such journey tomorrow. Irish people and driving in snow/ice is a disaster.

Hi.

The journey is today (Saturday)

LowOdour wrote: »
    Its my first time in Wicklow and have to drive back to Galway tomorrow...it's not looking good is it? I'm a fair distance of the N11 too, so the back roads from Aughrim might be undrivable :-(

Honestly, Id go this evening if you can at all. I'm not knowledgeable about the weather like some on here but I understand stats (maths teacher) and while yes it might not be as bad as predicted the odds are stacked in favour of large amounts of snowfall which we as a country do not deal well with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

From Aughrim to the N11 will be very dangerous. Those roads aren't great anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Heavy rain shower just now near Roosnowlagh, Donegal. No frost last night. I’m 5 miles inland. As for this event tonight and tomorrow; the models are showing the precipitation stalling well south of Donegal. We might get a bit of frost tonight.

The bbc mapping is more realistic on the news 24 forecast for the east
    It gives mostly rain to wexford east Wicklow and most of Dublin

It still shows the same guidance for the motorway journey from Galway to Dublin Monday morning though ie only fo that if you’re happy spending 12 hours in your car
    Remember if you’re stuck on a motorway you are very unlikely to be able to get off it

Hi.

The journey is today (Saturday)

Oh today is fine weather wise at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oh dear,I'm not sure I'm ready for
    The hypnotic Dublin postcode rosary chant...

D12-snowing,
    Pray for us
    D6 snowing lightly,
    Pray for us
    D8,snow............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Wicklow back roads will be the least of your problems. Go this evening or go Tuesday. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Oh dear,I'm not sure I'm ready for
    The hypnotic Dublin postcode rosary chant...

D12-snowing,
    Pray for us
    D6 snowing lightly,
    Pray for us
    D8,snow............

I cannot see any snow falling in Wexford as the temperatures will be far too high. Same for Galway. Dublin will be colder although snowfall will be marginal along the coast and in the city centre. Inland areas of Dublin will do very well though.

Advertisement