Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There has been heavy snow in southern Texas, and this sounding from Corpus Christi shows just what a heavy snow sounding should look like. A deep, just sub-zero, saturated layer right down to the ground. This maximises moisture content but keeps it all frozen. This is a classic example.

2017120812.72251.skewt.parc.gif

Below is a WRF forecast sounding for somewhere in northern Galway at midnight tonight. While not as good as Corpus Christi, it shows a heavy snow profile, as the saturated layer extends well above 700 hPa but remains just at or below 0 °C. Probably huge flakes from this setup and a liquid ratio of about 5:1.

sondagewrf_214_450_24_0_1512808464.png

I haven't looked at other locations yet but forecast soundings are the best tool in situations like this. Conventional upper charts don't show enough detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wondering has this the capability to affect power supply in the West? What with subzero temperatures and heavy snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Wicklow back roads will be the least of your problems. Go this evening or go Tuesday. Literally.
    Think that has to be the plan.

Wonder would I be ok leaving around 4pm? It's about 3 hours to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gerry Murphy was seen slipping out the back door of Met Eireann late yesterday evening wearing dark sunglasses. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A red warning will be issued around lunchtime I'd say for favoured midland areas. It's a nightmare for a forecaster but somewhere is going to get pasted.
    Have we ever had a red for snow before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Where does the rain end and snow start 2moro? Or is that THE question? In north kilkenny here..on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A red warning will be issued around lunchtime I'd say for favoured midland areas. It's a nightmare for a forecaster but somewhere is going to get pasted.

How are we looking in Cork JS?! Met eireann gave Munster a snow chance today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/weather/stories/bigsnow.htm. Just a memory from 1933, I doubt it will be as dramatic as this letter from Meath I think. Just a mood setter. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So basically everywhere except Munster looks to have a chance of snow?! Typical! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Heavy rain shower just now near Roosnowlagh, Donegal. No frost last night. I’m 5 miles inland. As for this event tonight and tomorrow; the models are showing the precipitation stalling well south of Donegal. We might get a bit of frost tonight.
    I hope it goes further north.
    Although I have been getting Hail here so even if it does reach me I'm not expecting dry fluffy snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yr giving no chance of snow today for Dublin and just heavy rain from tonight on. I presume that's fairly accurate?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I think I already know the answer but just said I'd ask just in case. Planning on leaving home in the morning at 7am to drive to kildare village shopping centre. Home is about 1mile from the wicklow boarder on north wexford just at the very end of the wicklow mountains. Would have to go to shilleagh and tullow and on to the m9. Probably best of forget about it is It?!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

As someone asked here all ready, how long should/could the snow stay on the ground around Offaly Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yr giving no chance of snow today for Dublin and just heavy rain from tonight on. I presume that's fairly accurate?
    No I wouldnt think its accurate, checked the likes of Castlebar, Longord and Cavan on it and it says sleet for all locations. Stick to what Met and the experienced guys are saying on here and you cant go to far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The criteria warrant it indeed. It being a Sunday etc- impact wise there probably is no need. That is why in the near future the criteria for warnings will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I think I already know the answer but just said I'd ask just in case. Planning on leaving home in the morning at 7am to drive to kildare village shopping centre. Home is about 1mile from the wicklow boarder on north wexford just at the very end of the wicklow mountains. Would have to go to shilleagh and tullow and on to the m9. Probably best of forget about it is It?!

Kildare village will still be there next week. Why run the risk.

EURO4 is very far south with precip....

Maybe somebody already posted this so apologies in advance.

17121006_0900.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The criteria warrant it indeed. It being a Sunday etc- impact wise there probably is no need. That is why in the near future the criteria for warnings will change.

I think that a red weather warning will be issued in places, as there will be a lot of travelling due to Christmas shopping, visiting the big man in red etc. Where I work has had in excess of 200 phone calls since yesterday asking will we be open tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I’m for Monaghan Town this evening and intend to be back in Donegal later tonight or very early Sunday morning ( 2am). I am not cancelling a journey because high ground may get some snow. I will happily update the thread about the conditions that I experience on my home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just seen the bbc forecast and as i taught, its looking like rain for my part of county meath, not bothered either way, it'll still be very cold and with liverpool on tele, it's a day for a roaring fire

• Advertisement

I’m for Monaghan Town this evening and intend to be back in Donegal later tonight or very early Sunday morning ( 2am). I am not cancelling a journey because high ground may get some snow. I will happily update the thread about the conditions that I experience on my home
    We all look forward to the reports of heavy cold rain:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

EURO4 showing it more South and moving away faster. No snow for Dublin on it. Midlands look the place to be . Exciting day for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Kildare village will still be there next week. Why run the risk.[/quote]
    Hopefully it won’t be and my credit card can get a rest from someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

We all look forward to the reports of heavy cold rain:pac:

That’s exactly what I will be reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I have to say I dont understand this event? With uppers relatively high and no deep cold pool in place over the country, why is it so certain to snow ( in places)? Thought I was beginning to understand this all........ Sorry if this seems a stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I'm glad that Donegal seems to be escaping this. Why can't it snow Friday evening and have melted by Sunday night ready for the commute again.

I think I've seen my fair share of snow and ice over the years that I've had my fill for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

That’s exactly what I will be reporting.

And of course Donegal county council manoeuvres.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

In comparison to 2010 when Dublin and the East coast got hammered for weeks by heavy snowfall and polar winds, this is going a bit far I think.

I think this will basically be a major event for high ground in the Midlands and East of the ciuntry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Just seen the bbc forecast and as i taught, its looking like rain for my part of county meath, not bothered either way, it'll still be very cold and with liverpool on tele, it's a day for a roaring fire

I would stick closer to Irish forecasts, BBC focus is on the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Advertisement