Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

http://m.met.ie/forecast-national.aspx

Updated Met forecast. Still forecasting snow for Cannacht and Leinster except South Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann just updated their website a few minutes ago. Still going for good snow accumulations in Connaught and northern half of leinster (also on low levels). Looks promising, was expecting a downgrade reading what is on here

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Met eireann just updated their website a few minutes ago. Still going for good snow accumulations in Connaught and northern half of leinster (also on low levels). Looks promising, was expecting a downgrade reading what is on here

Promising for the midlands and Connacht nothing really Dublinwise apart from cold rain I still see a fair few cm in the likes of Kildare etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

In Galway. It just doesn't feel cold enough for snow. It felt right on Thursday afternoon for a short spell but it seemed to get too mild after that. You know that feeling you get when snow is imminent, I just don't have it today and it makes me sad. I hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

No snow for Carlow then just rain

• Advertisement

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Promising for the midlands and Connacht nothing really Dublinwise apart from cold rain I still see a fair few cm in the likes of Kildare etc

They still have dublin on their orange warning. Dublin is one of the coldest places today so hard to imagine it is less likely for snow and it’s to be -3 in dublin tonight according to met eireann site.

Granted it might not happen but why would net eireann keep including dublin if they are not expecting it.

That being said met eireann do quite regularly get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

The Bens, Maamturks and Sheefrys will get an absolute pasting tonight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

In Galway. It just doesn't feel cold enough for snow. It felt right on Thursday afternoon for a short spell but it seemed to get too mild after that. You know that feeling you get when snow is imminent, I just don't have it today and it makes me sad. I hope I am wrong.

I doubt we will have snow, but Connemara will!

Temps as low as -8 forecast for tomorrow night on met eireann site. Don’t see that too often

Inland Galway like Tuam, Ballinasloe will get snow but not Galway city. Temperature is currently 4.5 degrees there. The best scenario will be sleet.

Could be the same for Dublin city as well although currently the East is very cold.

I expect some snow in the Western suburbs like Blanchardstown, Ongar, Lucan and Maynooth in Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

They still have dublin on their orange warning. Dublin is one of the coldest places today so hard to imagine it is less likely for snow and it’s to be -3 in dublin tonight according to met eireann site.

Granted it might not happen but why would net eireann keep including dublin if they are not expecting it.

Higher parts of Dublin towards the mountains will be better placed, there'll be an easterly breeze though which will mix milder air into coastal areas and it'll probably just fall as rain or sleet for much of the city.

Personally I'm still not convinced low ground will see much settling snow, looks very marginal and from my experience these events rarely go as expected or as we hope. Inland Connacht probably the best chance but even there it's looking very marginal. I'll gladly be proven wrong this time tomorrow though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Orange Warning for Dublin, and indeed most of the country, is a "Snow-Ice" warning, so it easily could remain in place in areas where no snow is expected due to solely to ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Inland Galway like Tuam, Ballinasloe will get snow but not Galway city. Temperature is currently 4.5 degrees there. The best scenario will be sleet.

Could be the same for Dublin city as well although currently the East is very cold.

I expect some snow in the Western suburbs like Blanchardstown, Ongar, Lucan and Maynooth in Kildare.

I think Galway city has just as good a chance of snow as inland areas with wind coming from the east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Met eireann do not regularly get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Orange Warning for Dublin, and indeed most of the country, is a "Snow-Ice" warning, so it easily could remain in place in areas where no snow is expected due to solely to ice.

Yes, a snow/ice warning also does not mean it WILL snow, it just means there is a chance of it so be aware of the possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

With a wind in off the Irish Sea even high parts of Dublin will struggle to see snow I think
    Kildare maybe

Here in Arklow,no chance
    All rain
    Currently 4.4c dew point -1
    Those will rise once the sea wind gets going
    Once wind direction changes and if it’s snowing in the part of the precip being pulled down as the low pulls away then there’s a chance
    It’s small though

Tonight’s hirlam and ecm will be helpful

Met É are working off the 0z ecm which has egged the pudding

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I think Galway city has just as good a chance of snow as inland areas with wind coming from the east

Don't think so. Sleet with wet snow. Probably the same for Dublin city centre and coast but snow in Western suburbs.

Temperatures in Galway (coastal) regions are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone living south of current snow forecasts will be glad to see the latest addition to the ME forecast

"Brighter, mainly dry conditions in Ulster will extend gradually southwards during the afternoon and evening, but it will turn even colder and rain may turn to sleet or snow for a time in the south and southwest later, before finally clearing later in the evening"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone living south of current snow forecasts will be glad to see the latest addition to the ME forecast

"Brighter, mainly dry conditions in Ulster will extend gradually southwards during the afternoon and evening, but it will turn even colder and rain may turn to sleet or snow for a time in the south and southwest later, before finally clearing later in the evening"

That’s cold air advection for you
    Hopefully so

Met eireann do not regularly get it wrong.

Eh they do in fairness, I have numerous times canceled trips down the country due to bad forecasts only to find it was sunny! I appreciate though that forecasting is tough.

Let’s see how much snow there is tomorrow across Leinster and Connaught and we can judge. Their job is to forecast as best they can and clearly as of now they are forecasting snow for most of northern Leinster and Connaught (4-8cm)

Will reserve judgement until tomorrow on this one. They should be getting it right now though when it’s only 12-24 hours away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Don't think so. Sleet with wet snow. Probably the same for Dublin city centre and coast but snow in Western suburbs.

5.1 by the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Anyone tell me the outlook for Cavan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Eh they do in fairness, I have numerous times canceled trips down the country due to bad forecasts only to find it was sunny! I appreciate though that forecasting is tough.

Let’s see how much snow there is tomorrow across Leinster and Connaught and we can judge. Their job is to forecast as best they can and clearly as of now they are forecasting snow for most of northern Leinster and Connaught (4-8cm)

Will reserve judgement until tomorrow on this one. They should be getting it right now though when it’s only 12-24 hours away.

Well I’ll have to agree to disagree with you here. I find met eireann in the main excellent not prone thankfully to ramping or over exaggerating as is proper for professionals. I’m surprised they are being so bullish about snow tomorrow I hope they are wrong but I’m kinda expecting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

It’s easy said but hard done , things change all the time you must understand it’s not a case of giving a warning and then the warning pulling off . Either way I think met eirrean are doing a great job giving out the warning even just as a caution because as other posters said , it will be a nowcast situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

mhiggy09 wrote: »

Tight !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The temperature now in Galway isn't relevant to what happens later.
    Example it's meant to get up to 8 or 9 in South and still snow here tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

mhiggy09 wrote: »

Grim 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

West Clare, currently 3.8c with a low of 2.2c last night (second ground frost), is bitter and overcast out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I've a feeling that this event will start off as rain/sleet away from high ground but will quickly turn to snow after an hour or two.

Just my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Seems like the AROME model has the deepest snow across the South Midlands, Galway down to Carlow/Kilkenny. Parts of high ground in Munster look like they might do well, even Wexford looks like it might get a bit.

Amazing how the models haven’t nailed this down yet. Expect further changes for the 12z

Advertisement