Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

South West Laois, I'm just about inside the snow line according to that chart above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cold rain for Dublin :P as expected! But there is still a chance - but it will be down to precip intensity. We need to see some real nice echoes on the radar as this thing heads north.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Is it not strange that the more southerly counties have a warning now and the northernmost counties don’t? I would presume the cold air to give us snow is coming from that direction??? NI still has a warning in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just studied the charts there (Mainly for selfish purposes)

I've noticed a definite move southwestwards, here in West Clare it looks to be on the wrong side of marginal but still very borderline. Really is a lampost event, unless you live in an area area stretching from East Mayo as far as West Kildare and down as far as north tipp, in which you're nearly guaranteed snow at this stage.

Anyone in Upland areas (I'm going to say 300m) except the far southwest, you'll be seeing snow if any precip arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Massively disappointed is an understatement :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

MJohnston wrote: »
    You can see how well the rain/snow boundary in the east aligns with where the sea winds start to lose influence:

nmm_uk1-42-28-4_our1.png

nmm_uk1-3-28-4_ijq9.png

Interesting ,that low near Rosslare could at the crucial time stop all sea winds altogether in South Wicklow north wexford and bring a land breeze? :eek:
    That might be a party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Massively disappointed is an understatement :(

Cheer up boi, still a chance , and hey it’s only a week into winter plenty of time for a real easterly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Is it not strange that the more southerly counties have a warning now and the northernmost counties don’t? I would presume the cold air to give us snow is coming from that direction??? NI still has a warning in place.

The reason some of the northerly counties have gone off the warning list is because met eireann don't expect much precipitation to make it that far north ( at least not the heaviest precipitation )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

On the assumption that dublin and much of the east coastal areas are not going to see snow where might be easy to get to but suitable for sledges and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

On the assumption that dublin and much of the east coastal areas are not going to see snow where might be easy to get to but suitable for sledges and kids.

Dublin/Wicklow mountains I'd imagine. When it has stopped falling on monday would be better though, less chance of getting into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Dublin/Wicklow mountains I'd imagine. Monday would be better though, less chance of getting stuck.

Kildare off the orange warning also. There could be a lot of changes between now and then.
    Meath is still on it however. I still think that West Dublin will do ok out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Danno wrote: »
    I've a feeling that this event will start off as rain/sleet away from high ground but will quickly turn to snow after an hour or two.

Just my 2c.

Would you say that the heavier the intensity of precipitation in a given location, the more likely it is to be snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Met Eireann orange warning correlates to what was shown on the BBC weather, where the precipitation doesn't really reach Ulster or Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin is under yellow warning with rain and sleet but a risk of snowfall.

In relation to Kildare this should be orange. Meath is on orange but there is a better chance of Kildare having snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Sligo and Waterford
    Rain and sleet overnight and during Sunday, with a risk of snowfall, especially away from coasts and on high ground. Risk of icy conditions also, especially later Sunday.

Issued:Saturday 09 December 2017 14:00
    Valid:Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00 to Sunday 10 December 2017 23:00

Not sure where Kildare is, I'd have imagined it would be orange still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Dublin/Wicklow mountains I'd imagine. When it has stopped falling on monday would be better though, less chance of getting into trouble.

Thanks for that. With the winds and high amount of uncertainty I would prefer to stick to the main roads on Sunday. Someone just suggested to me that the blessington area might be a good. Easy enough to get to without too much of a climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kildare is going to go Red Level ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Would you say that the heavier the intensity of precipitation in a given location, the more likely it is to be snow?

Yes as the heavier precip brings down the colder air with it.

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Sligo and Waterford
    Rain and sleet overnight and during Sunday, with a risk of snowfall, especially away from coasts and on high ground. Risk of icy conditions also, especially later Sunday.

Issued:Saturday 09 December 2017 14:00
    Valid:Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00 to Sunday 10 December 2017 23:00

Not sure where Kildare is, I'd have imagined it would be orange still.

Great- Explains the uncertainty and potential. Must be a good team in there today :p

pad199207 wrote: »
    Kildare is going to go Red Level ;)

You are ideally placed for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lots of melted snow to fall on Cork tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Though we might get a yellow warning for snow/ice in cork but tipp is as close as we get. Just the usual rain it seems except maybe for high ground.

It actually going by thresholds could be a red in places- but that is why the current scheme will be replaced with an impact based scheme in the coming years..
    3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.

but putting a red alert out for 8cm of snow in a rural area on a Sunday seems unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Great- Explains the uncertainty and potential. Must be a good team in there today :p

From an imby point of view inclusion of Waterford but not Cork in yellow is v bad news. When the precipitation slides back south they obviously think it will miss Cork to the east. Horrible cold rain here at the mo btw......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

So tipperary has gone from no warning at all straight to orange for snow/ice. Not sure I agree with that based on what the models have been showing this morning but we shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Is chief Ramper Evelyn head of forecasting now by the way? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Now much on Lug at min, that will change tomorrow though.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/939497319564636161

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Neddyusa wrote: »

Yes as there is more of a chance that it will pull down the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm driving from Tuam to Swinford this evening for a night out then I'm meant to be coming home tomorrow morning - what are my prospects? Here in Galway right now it's 5 degrees and doesn't feel cold enough to snow but I presume that will change as the front edges northwards and the cold air comes down to meet the rain? I see it's already raining in Kerry and Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Met Eireann orange warning correlates to what was shown on the BBC weather, where the precipitation doesn't really reach Ulster or Louth.

Yep looks like the bbc will get it right again, their chart had no snow for my area, just rain.

Advertisement