Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Strange that Kildare was in the Orange update and now isn't even in the yellow!

South Kildare here, near the Laois border. Have a friend on a nice bit of high ground nearby too, he regularly sees a fair whack more when it snows than where I'm from 20 minutes away.

My biggest worry is how the precip arrives here. I've often escaped heavier falls due to Wicklow Mts. being nearby and acting as a sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think freezing rain should also be a warning factor for tonight...surprised it hasn't been mentioned in official forecasts tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

John.Icy wrote: »

South Kildare here, near the Laois border. Have a friend on a nice bit of high ground nearby too, he regularly sees a fair whack more when it snows than where I'm from 20 minutes away.

My biggest worry is how the precip arrives here. I've often escaped heavier falls due to Wicklow Mts. being nearby and acting as a sponge.

The fact that it's not in either warning suggests they just forgot about kildare....easily done in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

John.Icy wrote: »

Kildare forecast is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Must admit, putting snow totals of '4 to 8cm' and 'significant totals' doesn't sit well with me.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

So Dublin mountains just rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Here in Kerry we have snow on the mountains but I'm not sure if it will snow, burning 50kw/h of energy per hour to heat the house with the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Wicklow is in orange warning but coastal Wicklow will get rain. Higher up with gave a snow fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Must admit, putting snow totals of '4 to 8cm' and 'significant totals' doesn't sit well with me.

Spoke to a Hungarian friend this morning (neighbour of yours actually) about the prospect of 4-8cm of snow and he smiled." There's 3-4 feet of snow in Hungary right now", he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Anyone got a view of Galtymore? That's always good for deep snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Depends on how you read it, they wrote could be reached and possibly higher, in my eyes not totals but estimates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Doltanian wrote: »
    Here in Kerry we have snow on the mountains but I'm not sure if it will snow, burning 50kw/h of energy per hour to heat the house with the last two days.

Nope, looks like those of us in south Munster will just be getting the wet stuff and plenty of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Spoke to a Hungarian friend this morning (neighbour of yours actually) about the prospect of 4-8cm of snow and he smiled." There's 3-4 feet of snow in Hungary right now", he said.

We're a joke really.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

catrat12 wrote: »
    So Dublin mountains just rain

The Dublin mountains are completely white at the moment and will be stuffed with snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

As well as the YELLOW ORANGE and RED warnings there should be a BLUE Warning

BLUE Warning

There is likely to be no snow in counties Sligo, Donegal, Northern Ireland, Louth just maybe some sleet so if you are feeling blue this is why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Orange warning gone altogether from met eireann now 😥😊

Orange warning gone from met eairann, probably adding kildare I would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

ZX7R wrote: »
    Depends on how you read it, they wrote could be reached and possibly higher, in my eyes not totals but estimates

The forecast on windy.com is giving snow totals of 27cms for my location near the Blackstairs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My god ,so much pessimism and negativity, are we Irish people hardwired to be negative or what.

The snow is coming to the west.

chooo,chooo,all aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

And Dublin 12 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Yep Kildare added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just like someone flicked a switch - winds have backed east after being westerly all morning. Temperature has dropped from a max of 3.7c to 3.0c and dewpoint is at 1.0c. Bring on the precip to South Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Back now with Kildare on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Yep Kildare added

I wonder did someone from met eireann look on here and saw that kildare had been left out:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

kod87 wrote: »
    I wonder did someone from met eireann look on here and saw that kildare had been left out:pac:

Yes Joanna did Id say

Floki wrote: »
    The forecast on windy.com is giving snow totals of 27cms for my location near the Blackstairs tomorrow.

I was only referring to the wording that met eairann hand on there previous warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Why is donegal still under an orange warning when no precipitation is going to reach the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Why is donegal still under an orange warning when no precipitation is going to reach the county?

Not seeing Donegal on any of the warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

And Dublin 12 :)

Think Dublin is missing out, seems just to be a yellow for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Who woulda thunk that an Easterly wind would screw Dublin out of snow. :(

Advertisement