Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Last glimmers of sunlight,Beautiful clear,calm,cold,crisp afternoon here in West Mayo,Mweelra mountains and sheefry hills to the south with a nice splattering of snow.

Lovely seasonal,festive atmosphere,as it should be always,given our latitude.

Hopefully anticipating the snowfall later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Not seeing Donegal on any of the warnings

Yip you’re right Donegal removed as is Sligo. I knew it wouldn’t happen here. And it’s currently 6 degrees here after a lovely still cold winter day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Calibos wrote: »
    Who woulda thunk that an Easterly wind would screw Dublin out of snow. :(

It's not the beast from the east though,with low 850 hpa temperatures not conducive to snowfall,just an onshore easterly off the Irish sea,which is unfortunately too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Calibos wrote: »
    Who woulda thunk that an Easterly wind would screw Dublin out of snow. :(

Some parts of Dublin (hilly areas in South Dublin and west Dublin) will get snow and parts if Meath, Wicklow and Kildare will get zero. That's the way it will pan out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some parts of Dublin (hilly areas in South Dublin and west Dublin) will get snow and parts if Meath, Wicklow and Kildare will get zero. That's the way it will pan out...

Can I have your crystal ball? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Summary so far for Dublin boardsies:

Winter: check
    Freezing sub-zero temps: check
    Easterly winds: check
    Lots of precipitation: check
    Precipitation Type: cold, wet rain
    Snow gods: assholes

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’ll get your coat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cold and dry in most parts for the rest of today. More persistent rain will move in across the southwest.DQnTOYUWsAICo3c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

lolie wrote: »
    Cavan gone off the warnings also. Hmmm

Worried about that although I'm on the Longford boarder so I'm still hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

I just spent the last few hours preparing the animals for snowfest, and now I come in the door to hear its cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

2.1c
    DP 0.9c
    Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The South is very much at risk tomorrow evening and should be under some kind of warning. I expect Cork fans to see snow from about teatime to midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

KingBobby wrote: »
    I just spent the last few hours preparing the animals for snowfest, and now I come in the door to hear its cancelled :(

Which county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

How high up are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tallaght saggart rathcoole areas are far enough from the sea to see a bit of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The South is very much at risk tomorrow evening and should be under some kind of warning. I expect Cork fans to see snow from about teatime to midnight

Tomorrow? I thought by then the rain would be well into the country and the cold air mass defeated.

tallaght saggart rathcoole areas are far enough from the sea to see a bit of action?

I suspect some parts of these areas atleast will get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

sorry I dont know how to do multi quote. south dublin 260m

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How does Kilkenny City look?

You should get snow so...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

1.9 c in Newbridge and DP 0.3 , come forth my snow overlords , I await you with Open arms

You're still in the firing line as far as I can see, that bit of height should help. Better to prepare just in case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

How does Kilkenny City look?

Literally on the edge between rain and snow - keep an eye on www.kilkennyweather.com for your current conditions.

Meanwhile, temperature has dropped further here in South Laois to 2.4c and dewpoint of 0.6c.

Worryingly is the wind direction - SSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temp map (from M.Eireann) for 11pm tonight as the front moves in.

image.png

Curiously, the Estonian Hirlam model this morning had the bulk of snow potential up over north Mayo, Sligo & S. Donegal, which was at odds with other Hirlam outputs. A once off, or has it picked up on something?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Tomorrow? I thought by then the rain would be well into the country and the cold air mass defeated.

Incorrect. It won't be defeated, the wind shifts to the north tomorrow night making it extremely cold in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

2.9c in Arklow dp is -1c
    Flat calm
    High cloud over head is noticeably moving southeast ie upper flow is northwesterly

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temp map (from M.Eireann) for 11pm tonight as the front moves in.

image.png

?

Freezing rain...careful on pavements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »
    Literally on the edge between rain and snow - keep an eye on www.kilkennyweather.com for your current conditions.

Meanwhile, temperature has dropped further here in South Laois to 2.4c and dewpoint of 0.6c.

Worryingly is the wind direction - SSE.

No wind here at all. Smoke from chimneys going straight up. Dp 2c. Need a bit of wind to bring it down.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Had a high of 3.2C on the hills north east of Kilkenny city, currently 1.8C, dew point -1.5C

Kilkenny City reached 4C, currently 2.7C

Temperatures falling rather than rising with the incoming cloud...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Oh how much I wish I was down in the slieve blooms. Looks like they are going to get buried over night and into tomorrow

Advertisement