Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

kod87 wrote: »
    Just looking at the met eireann five day forecast slider on the website, shows temperatures dropping across the country until about 6 and then rising significantly everywhere until midnight before a big drop off again overnight. Just wondering what causes that significant jump in temps?

The warm front bringing the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

nagdefy wrote: »
    There are people who live at high altitudes outside Wicklow;) Infact all those places mentioned are well over 100m lower than RobertKK, Barney at the Blackstairs, Mountainy Man Sligo (though he mightn't get much precip tmrw) and myself.

Just annoys me a bit when people talk of the Wicklow mtns when most of the higher ground, is uninhabited. At the lower slopes of many mountains in the midlands tomorrow they are every bit as much 'places to be'. I know for Dublin folk the Dublin and Wicklow mountains are the nearest high ground for you, on your doorstep. But places like Laragh and Roundwood are 'only' 140m asl!

Actually Roundwood is over 200m, I do get what you are saying but previous experience (I used to live in Annamoe) is that in these kind of marginal setups these places usually do very well in terms of snow and are pretty accessible from Dublin where there are likely to be a large amount of disappointed people tomorrow!, though I'd be delighted if we end up on the right side of marginal for once.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Lads any easy way of finding out what height are from sea level

Another one: http://www.gridreference.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

What’s the chances in Athlone area rain or snow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Speak Now wrote: »
    The warm front bringing the rain.

Yes but it causes temps to rise everywhere even thought the front is over the south west and then temps drop dramatically despite the (warm) front moving northwards overnight before retreating. The 2 things don't match up in a way that makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

cyclops999 wrote: »
    What’s the chances in Athlone area rain or snow ?

High chance of snow rather than rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

will dublin get any snow or just cold rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

With everything a little further south it "might" help ease the wind down enough to reduce the mixing effect of the Irish sea along the east coast. But still need to be 10-20 km inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Interesting air temps and wind direction on that

Looking like nothing for North Louth according to the 12Z GFS. Doesn’t quite reach up. Whole thing is a little more south when compared to the 6Z.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Supercell wrote: »
    Actually Roundwood is over 200m, I do get what you are saying but previous experience (I used to live in Annamoe) is that in these kind of marginal setups these places usually do very well in terms of snow and are pretty accessible from Dublin where there are likely to be a large amount of disappointed people tomorrow!, though I'd be delighted if we end up on the right side of marginal for once.

Grand Supercell, understood totally.

I'm possibly a bit begrudging as there are so many scenic areas around the country, at high and low altitude, that aren't really known by a lot of people and sometimes i want everyone to know!

Like at home you can look down on the lights of Carlow town and see all the towns right to Dublin. You have a panoramic view of 7 counties (Laois, Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Kildare, Wicklow and Wexford). Whenever i take friends there they go my God this is as beautiful as Kerry of Glendalough etc. Don't mind me i'm over proud of home and want the world to know :D

Hope you get decent snowfall and don't have to venture away tomorrow at all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

kenmc wrote: »
    Is there any way of seeing where the gritters are?couple of years one used to come down our road like clockwork, I'd bring my daughter out to see it and the driver would always blow his horn and wave. Would love to know if I can do it again

I've no idea on that tbh, I've seen a few around goatstown in past hour though - ploughs attached on front and throwing out tonnes of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-0.2c with a dew point of -0.9c in Tullow at present. This is going to be a long night!!

Villain wrote: »
    -0.2c with a few point of -0.9c in Tullow at present. This is going to be a long night!!

Get a few hours sleep in early if you can:D

Nice and cold in Tullow early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

-0.2c with a dew point of -0.9c in Tullow at present. This is going to be a long night!!

Is it cloudy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Like at home you can look down on the lights of Carlow town and see all the towns right to Dublin. You have a panoramic view of 7 counties

Hope you dont mind me asking, but where is exactly is this? I live near Carlow and would love to check that view out.

Dont worry, I wont pop in for tea or anything :)

When i saw the rain in over Kerry\Cork 2-3 hours ago on the Met Radar i thought oh great by 12am it should have progressed a bit.

It's moving into south Tipp at a rate of 0.05mm an hour i'd say:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

At least give me a snow man for the kids, otherwise WTF am I gonna do with all the marigolds I bought for the them to go under their gloves 😀

In rathfarnham and starting to get cold now
    If you ask MT Cranium nicely I'm sure he'll oblige:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's currently 2 degrees in co Louth and between 0 and -1 dew point. I'm still not giving up on that low. Even if we only get a marginal amount of snow

Hope you dont mind me asking, but where is exactly is this? I live near Carlow and would love to check that view out.

You drive out the Graiguecullen side of Carlow town and turn to the left at Killeshin Village, travel 3 miles up a narrow winding road to Rossmore and there's a park, Oisin Park, where you can see the views.

Villain would be familiar with it, he drives up for wintry events and sometimes uses a drone.

This pic doesn't do it justice. Amazing at night time.

Oisin_laois.jpg

• Advertisement

Is it cloudy?

Some light cloud http://www.carlowweather.com/wxwebcam.php

You drive out the Graiguecullen side of Carlow town and turn to the left at Killeshin Village, travel 3 miles up a narrow winding road to Rossmore and there's a park, Oisin Park, where you can see the views.

Villain would be familiar with it, he drives up for wintry events and sometimes uses a drone.

Oisin_laois.jpg

Is that your house? Beside dancing boards?

If into history or archaeology you also have Killeshin Romanesque Doorway at the base of the hill erected in the 1100s on a monastic site from the 5th century.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2014/11/the-wonderful-12th-century-doorway-at-kelleshin-church-laois/

Killeshin%20Church%20001L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

kod87 wrote: »
    Yes but it causes temps to rise everywhere even thought the front is over the south west and then temps drop dramatically despite the (warm) front moving northwards overnight before retreating. The 2 things don't match up in a way that makes any sense.

The cold wins the battle and pushes the warm front back South. That's what happens for frontal snowfall. If the front cleared north it would be rain for all eventually. Ends up sliding instead and sone locations will get dumped on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Looks fantastic! Thanks very much! Will take a spin up there soon. Cheers! :)

Is that your house? Beside dancing boards?

No it's a house that organises events, walks and so forth. I'm back to the back of that house about a mile. It's higher ground again. Towards the wind farm? Some of the houses have beautiful views.

Went to school in Knockbeg so knew a lot of Tullow lads i'd be friendly with. I'm probably a few years older than yourself though, 41.

Sorry everyone i'm turning into Board Failte!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

No it's a house that organises events, walks and so forth. I'm back to the back of that house about a mile. It's higher ground again. Towards the wind farm? Some of the houses have beautiful views.

Went to school in Knockbeg so knew a lot of Tullow lads i'd be friendly with. I'm probably a few years older than yourself though, 41.

Do you know what the craic with that abandoned house up there across the from Mary statue is too?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Is it just high ground in the midlands that will get snow or will low ground also get snow in the midlands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some limited icy element to the rain ATM in West Clare.

Advertisement