Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So the weather warning is from 11pm tonight. Where does it start? Like I'm in North kildare, is it going to take several hours to get to us or is it worth staying to do some lamp post watching before bedtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

In Dublin 15. Ice on all of the card

That's what you get for leaving yer Crimbo cards outside in that weather! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

So the weather warning is from 11pm tonight. Where does it start? Like I'm in North kildare, is it going to take several hours to get to us or is it worth staying to do some lamp post watching before bedtime?

Well like I’m in North Kildare too like and I’m like not expecting the precip not till like midnight so like just keep an eye of the radar like. It is taking its time like you know like.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Wonder what the track will be, it looks to have slipped a fair bit south compared to what was expected a day or two ago. This is why Cavan has been taken off the orange warning, probably the likes of Meath should not be too troubled either.

My thinking is Kilkenny, Tipp, South Wicklow etc will now get the most snow

You better be wrong, the snow better fall in the Central Midlands, otherwise I'll be one angrey mfer and you won't like to see me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I take it then not to expect any snow here in portmarnock?

Kids (I) will be disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Just saw a gritter with a snowplough while driving along

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

im in coolock away from the coast hoping for snow later

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone got a view of Galtymore? That's always good for deep snow.

Light cover of snow on the Galty mountains this afternoon. Currently 2 c with dew point 1 c. Temperature dropping with very light rain falling.

Tipperary / Limerick border - 130 m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

lawred2 wrote: »
    I take it then not to expect any snow here in portmarnock?

Sorry, not a chance along the east coast. The Dublin mountains and inland Meath aren't far away if you want to see snow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Balmy 4.7 by the sea West of Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

1C currently in Castlebar with a DP of -2C, hopefully it will be an interesting night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Here's the BBC forecast for tonight/tomorrow. Video is on the right hand side of the page.
    Showing rain as far in as the eastern side of Cavan not just near the coast. http://www.bbc.com/weather/2635167
    3AM
    435709.jpg
    8AM
    435709.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

chris2007 wrote: »
    im in coolock away from the coast hoping for snow later

Doubt it (coolock myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Doubt it (coolock myself)

Who knows heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Played down a bit according to the churnal http://www.thejournal.ie/weather-warning-snow-3-3741547-Dec2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well like I’m in North Kildare too like and I’m like not expecting the precip not till like midnight so like just keep an eye of the radar like. It is taking its time like you know like.... ;)

Yeah, its just looking at the forecasts it appears we might get rain first so maybe I'll just go to bed and lamp post watch at 7am when the toddler wakes up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Even though I’m in Kildare I’m still a bit pessimistic, these setups can be the most frustrating.

Knowing my luck it will bucket rain and sleet here and then snowing half a mile down the bloody road!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji wrote: »
    1C currently in Castlebar with a DP of -2C, hopefully it will be an interesting night.

I think we may be in luck this time. Complete white out at Knock for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Nowhere will get any snow directly on the coast.

Best chance for that is when streamers occur with high intensity especially with an east, north or north east wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Almost forgot about the TAF's!

Knock:

BECMG 0921/0924 11012KT 3000 -SN SCT003 BKN007
    TEMPO 0923/1012 1200 SN OVC002

Light Snow from 9pm, temporarily moderate from 11pm. Gonna be a white out there!

Shannon:

TEMPO 1009/1014 3000 -RASN

Periods of sleet from 9am-2pm tomorrow.

Dublin

TEMPO 1002/1009 11015G25KT 3000 RASN

Periods of sleet betwen 2am-9am

That's it, nothing for Casement or Cork in the 5pm TAF's other than rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

It’s heartbreaking to think donegal will get no snow. But I always knew we wouldn’t. I didn’t tell the grandchildren as the look of disappointment tomorrow would be to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Back up to 0.2c but with my 24hr FARS it updates very quickly, cloud has increased mind. I’m at about 100ASL and I’m expexting sleet for a few hours then snow but will it stuck is question. Going to be an icy mess tomorrow night for sure either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

As a 5 year old child i remember one of my first big snow events. It was a similar frontal event to tomorrows. It also occurred on a Sunday, 13th December 1981. Here's the forecast from that Sunday's Indo attached.

I read the newspapers for the following day. There was widespread snowfall throughout the country on lower ground. The south of Dublin got hit, Rathfarnham, Tallaght, Churchtown. So if things follow a similar pattern to almost 36 years ago a lot of people will be happy :)

Sunday 13th December 1981.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Mullingar -3 at 6pm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

nagdefy wrote: »
    As a 5 year old child i remember one of my first big snow events. It was a similar frontal event to tomorrows. It also occurred on a Sunday, 13th December 1981. Here's the forecast from that Sunday's Indo attached.

I read the newspapers for the following day. There was widespread snowfall throughout the country on lower ground. The south of Dublin got hit, Rathfarnham, Tallaght, Churchtown. So if things follow a similar pattern to almost 36 years ago a lot of people will be happy :)

Sunday 13th December 1981.jpg

I was born 2 weeks after that on xmas eve and we had snow in wexford that xmas eve , maybe that's where I got my fascination with snow !?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

+0.2c here in Roundwood. The drip drip from earlier has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Jerry Murphy fierce jittery on the forecast after the 6.1 news,I'd say he will breathe a sigh of relief when it's all over, he loves a dirty Aul shower a schleet does our Jerry.

Incidentally he showed a very good snow risk map.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Almost forgot about the TAF's!

Knock:

BECMG 0921/0924 11012KT 3000 -SN SCT003 BKN007
    TEMPO 0923/1012 1200 SN OVC002

Light Snow from 9pm, temporarily moderate from 11pm. Gonna be a white out there!

Shannon:

TEMPO 1009/1014 3000 -RASN

Periods of sleet from 9am-2pm tomorrow.

Dublin

TEMPO 1002/1009 11015G25KT 3000 RASN

Periods of sleet betwen 2am-9am

That's it, nothing for Casement or Cork in the 5pm TAF's other than rain.

I'll give a report from knock airport later....hope it's right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Based on the current predictions is heavy snow looking likely for north Offaly? I've got to head off to Dublin airport in the morning. I'd rather ask those on here than go by the TV weather report.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Oc Kilkenny and dropping

Advertisement