Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Jerry Murphy fierce jittery on the forecast after the 6.1 news,I'd say he will breathe a sigh of relief when it's all over, he loves a dirty Aul shower a schleet does our Jerry.

Incidentally he showed a very good snow risk map.

Yep and nothing much about snow in south Munster tomorrow when the front slips south again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

barney 20v wrote: »
    I was born 2 weeks after that on xmas eve and we had snow in wexford that xmas eve , maybe that's where I got my fascination with snow !?

That cold December led into the January 8th 1982 snowfall. It was a raw month that December.

Sryan would confirm but it was a 'frontloaded' winter. I'd say your parents were worrying about getting to the hospital:)

I have access to archival newspapers lately and they're brilliant for confirming what's in my memory, some dates are correct and then some fixed in my mind are off. But that 13 December 1981 stuck in my mind and just the similarities with now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

0.3 in Newbridge and -1.6 DP , should be nice and chilly by the time it arrives .... I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

-1c
    DP -2c
    Naas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Autochange wrote: »
    Based on the current predictions is heavy snow looking likely for north Offaly? I've got to head off to Dublin airport in the morning. I'd rather ask those on here than go by the TV weather report.
    Thanks
    Well Offaly was mentioned by Gerry Murphy's as one of the counties to get some decent snowfall so depending on what time the low pressure reaches your part of the County and the time you plan to leave I would say just keep an eye on the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

nagdefy wrote: »
    No it's a house that organises events, walks and so forth. I'm back to the back of that house about a mile. It's higher ground again. Towards the wind farm? Some of the houses have beautiful views.

Went to school in Knockbeg so knew a lot of Tullow lads i'd be friendly with. I'm probably a few years older than yourself though, 41.

Futher back than you and slightly higher and have a view into 8 counties.
    A bit nervous as when it snows here it dumps

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

That cold December led into the January 8th 1982 snowfall. It was a raw month that December.

Sryan would confirm but it was a 'frontloaded' winter. I'd say your parents were worrying about getting to the hospital:)

I have access to archival newspapers lately and they're brilliant for confirming what's in my memory, some dates are correct and then some fixed in my mind are off. But that 13 December 1981 stuck in my mind and just the similarities with now.
    Yep the hospital is 25 miles away and we lived in a rural village around 150 asl that often got completely snowed in... 1987 as well if I remember correctly .
    We're expecting snow after initial rain tomorrow and again as it retreats South

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

temp is after rising from 3 to 6 degrees and raining here in Wilton, Cork. Shame. :( Enjoy it up the country guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

She's just gone below now under clear skies here. -0.1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

-3 in North Longford. REALLY bad fog in places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Extremely cold this evening. I was walking with the dogs earlier and the patches of icy hail left over from Thursday night still underfoot.

Sligo isn't in the orange warning - will it be too cold here? Really clear evening too.

It's hard to imagine any precipitation at the moment. But 10 miles from Roscommon and nearly always get snow if Knock gets it - so hopeful.

:)

barney 20v wrote: »
    Yep the hospital is 25 miles away and we lived in a rural village around 150 asl that often got completely snowed in... 1987 as well if I remember correctly .
    We're expecting snow after initial rain tomorrow and again as it retreats South

You would have been plastered in 1987 in your location. You were 5 then so your first major snowfall. I remember saying on here before that that Monday 11th Jan 1987 was the coldest day i was ever out in. -6C with east wind windchill. Then playing snowballs in our bare hands a few of us were teary with pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As winds swing to the east- temps to climb after midnight in parts of N Leinster but there is a large swathe of the country in snow territory.

17121000_2_0912.gif

17121009_2_0912.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

You would have been plastered in 1987 in your location. You were 5 then so your first major snowfall. I remember saying on here before that that Monday 11th Jan 1987 was the coldest day i was ever out in. -6C with east wind windchill. Then playing snowballs in our bare hands a few of us were teary with pain!

I'd a little pedal tractor and I remember my older teenaged brothers digging a track through the snow our back lawn as a race track.
    Also remember the local shop owners commandeering a tractor to go into enniscorthy (9 miles ) to get food in for the entire village and surrounding areas.

My youngest girl was 2 in 2010 when we got 14 inches of snow at our place 125 asl so I'm hoping for her sake we get something for her to experience and remember this time .

dzer2 wrote: »
    Futher back than you and slightly higher and have a view into 8 counties.
    A bit nervous as when it snows here it dumps

Where exactly do you mind me asking? I'm Ardough/Gortahile. It would be a good bit higher than Oisin Park.

The very top of Rossmore and top of Gortahile are both 336m on Ordnance Survey maps. They're the highest height until the Sliabh Blooms, Blackstairs and Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I usually find the iPhone weather app very reliable up to 12 hours out but the thing is all over the place ATM. Each hour it is changing from 100% snow to rain a few minutes later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Have to get from Limerick to Dublin Airport early Monday morning (leaving 04:30) ...any idea what the driving conditions are likely to be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Just driving back home watching the temp on the car drop every few minutes. Near 0 now l. The lights everywhere are shining brilliantly tonight it's that clear and yet the ominous orange glow is there in the sky almost like every little village joining hands to reach out and welcome the snow. It'll be here soon I can tell that myself. Location high up in North kk / south laois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Can someone tell me what the ideal dew point is for snow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

How far inland from east coast are we looking at realistically for snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Where exactly do you mind me asking? I'm Ardough/Gortahile. It would be a good bit higher than Oisin Park.

north crettenclogh looking over clogh, comer, newtown into athy can see the slieve blooms, slivenamon and wicklow mountains and over course mount leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Pacifico wrote: »
    Have to get from Limerick to Dublin Airport early Monday morning (leaving 04:30) ...any idea what the driving conditions are likely to be?!

There would at least be time for road crews to do their work Sunday evening and before you leave but you may run into very slow traffic towards the end of your planned journey, you might be well advised to leave an hour earlier and try to hit the Kildare area before most commuters are on the road, get through to the airport also before the morning rush has started.

Otherwise you may find the last third of the trip taking too long to make your flight comfortably.

Revisit this question around Sunday 7 p.m., we might all have a different opinion after the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Last hour here in Wicklow (not far from Wicklow town)

Time Temperature Dew Point
    5:50 PM 0.9 °C -2.3 °C
    6:05 PM 0.9 °C -1.5 °C
    6:11 PM 0.8 °C -1.9 °C
    6:16 PM 0.7 °C -1.9 °C
    6:21 PM 0.6 °C -2.1 °C
    6:41 PM 0.4 °C -2 °C
    6:46 PM 0.4 °C -1.8 °C
    6:51 PM 0.3 °C -2.2 °C
    6:56 PM 0.3 °C -2.2 °C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We had a little rain here in Waterford City a while ago but that was expected with a temp of 3.9c and DP 2.6c. Still feel our best chance of seeing snow is tomorrow evening when the front travels back south. One thing for sure is roads will be treacherous into the early hours of Monday.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

screamer wrote: »
    Just driving back home watching the temp on the car drop every few minutes. Near 0 now l. The lights everywhere are shining brilliantly tonight it's that clear and yet the ominous orange glow is there in the sky almost like every little village joining hands to reach out and welcome the snow. It'll be here soon I can tell that myself. Location high up in North kk / south laois

You're close by - Ballyouskill?

www.laoisweather.com will be of use to you.

dzer2 wrote: »
    north crettenclogh looking over clogh, comer, newtown into athy can see the slieve blooms, slivenamon and wicklow mountains and over course mount leinster

I know it well. We'd be around the same height. You know where the highest windmills are, that would be opposite us.

We get dumped alright! I went to school in Ardough with a lot of the Cruttenclough lads. My grandmother on my dad's side was from where you're from!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Rain here in Cork for the past few hours now, far too warm for snow. Hoping to see some on the way back up to tomorrow.

You have to feel sorry for the poor Dubs, they’ve had no real snow of note since late 2010. Looks like it’ll miss out on this one as well. Hopefully there’ll be a decent easterly at some point this winter to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yr.no saying 2 degrees for Navan and rain for the night. Bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Temperature gradually falling despite thickening cloud, 0.0c now.
    Mullingar -3c at 1800.
    Not expecting anything tomorrow as I am too near the sea but the hills will be nice to look at on Monday.

Advertisement