Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Hope Athlone gets a fair covering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The UK met office are changing their forecast frequently in this
    The U.S met service live change snow forecasts DURING events

So no giving out about the Irish met service in one of the western worlds arguably hardest territories this far north to have a widespread snow event please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

How's it looking for South Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

kilkenny31 wrote: »

Epic. Could be a whiteout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A mixture of 1982 nostalgia and what might have been tomorrow....

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843625-freezing-weather-continues/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting to see where MeteoGroups product places the snowfall accumulations by tomorrow

24991337_10155963012111306_5287618676600967829_n.png?oh=940d29b88265764078af14738e1292bf&oe=5A8E2CE4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Temps rising here in wicklow over last hour.

time temp dew point humidity
    6:51 PM 0.3 °C -2.2 °C 83 %
    6:56 PM 0.3 °C -2.2 °C 83 %
    7:02 PM 0.3 °C -2.4 °C 82 %
    7:07 PM 0.3 °C -2.4 °C 82 %
    7:28 PM 0.5 °C -3.1 °C 77 %
    7:34 PM 0.6 °C -2.3 °C 81 %
    7:39 PM 0.7 °C -2.9 °C 77 %
    7:44 PM 0.8 °C -3.3 °C 74 %
    7:49 PM 1.0 °C -2.6 °C 77 %

Sorry about formatting. On phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

DellyBelly wrote: »
    kilkenny31 wrote: »

Epic. Could be a whiteout
    Serious or taking the p**s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A mixture of 1982 nostalgia and what might have been tomorrow....

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843625-freezing-weather-continues/

I'm loving these historic news/vids posts. Keep 'em coming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Anyone know what Kildare is expected to be like tomorrow thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The only place is see consistently forecast to get a massive snow event is Wales. Some serious disruption for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭prosaic

How many times have met eireann changed their forecast today!!?? You would really think within 12-24 hours they could have nailed it down better. I mean changing forecast about 5 hours before the so called event is pretty bad. I know there are variables at play but they surely have access to a lot of weather models, you would expect a met service to be able to predict better within 24 hours. We will see what happens from here but it’s been like musical chairs today moving warning from one county to another. You would most certainly expect it 2 or more days out but not within 12-24 hours

Think of a game of roulette: one ball, a wheel with sharp edged slots that cause the ball to bounce in near random directions. Take a high speed, high resolution camera, super processing power, will you get the right answer while the ball is commencing it's journey?
    Now, the weather is billions of times more complex than that (I'm guessing).

Interesting to see where MeteoGroups product places the snowfall accumulations by tomorrow

24991337_10155963012111306_5287618676600967829_n.png?oh=940d29b88265764078af14738e1292bf&oe=5A8E2CE4

Let’s play a agame of letters on that one

Give me an L
    Give me an O
    Give me another L

They provide the information for the BBC forecasts
    Note the BBC forecasters eg Schaffenacker are Met office or former met office staff
    Their human input maps do not look anything like the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Can you state your expertise in metrology that gives you such a standing that you can question experts?

I've very little knowledge, but I do know that Ireland has some of the most changeable weather in the world. Atmosphere is constantly moving, the Atlantic and the coastal mountains can mean last minute changes especially in volatile systems such as this.

Its also why its called a "forecast" not a "certainty"

It’s this type of response that annoys me. They are experts, they are paid to get things correct. By your reckoning no one can question them unless they themselves are meteorologists?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Where are the highest elevations within Dublin city and therefore the likeliest to have snow cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

matc66 wrote: »
    Where are the highest elevations within Dublin city and therefore the likeliest to have snow cover?

The spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Kildare is expected to be like tomorrow thank you !

Should be interesting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:

Keep it civil. This is a busy thread and attempts to derail it will not be tolerated.

Let’s play a agame of letters on that one

Give me an L
    Give me an O
    Give me another L

They provide the information for the BBC forecasts
    Note the BBC forecasters eg Schaffenacker are Met office or former met office staff
    Their human input maps do not look anything like the above

This is the latest 12z ECMWF snow accum chart using their algorithm - don't shoot the messenger :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This is the latest 12z ECMWF snow accum chart using their algorithm - don't shoot the messenger :pac:

Is that the same one as yesterday that had large swathes of the midland well covered in Snow , the colouring seems a bit different but it was definitely an ECM chart ?

• Advertisement

Yeah but seriously 2cm’s on the Wicklow mountains,ermmmm how credible do you think that is? :D

(Not very)

Is that the same one as yesterday that had large swathes of the midland well covered in Snow , the colouring seems a bit different but it was definitely an ECM chart ?

I just lifted it off their facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/MeteoGroupUK/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

matc66 wrote: »

Up above Rathfarnham is often good for snow, its not stictly the city but not far away, Tickknock or the 3 Rock I think often catch a bit of snow at about 450 Meters.

In the county Kippure is the highest point at about 750 meters but it might be difficult to get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm liking this GFS snow risk chart for 6pm tomorrow!

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Now that the main rain-front is making contact with the southwest coast in last hour or so has anyone compared its timing/angle of approach to the various models? It would perhaps help ascertain which model is most likely to be closest to verifying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm liking this GFS snow risk chart for 6pm tomorrow!

uksnowrisk.png

I like it as well! Met eireann have a different view unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Up above Rathfarnham is often good for snow, its not stictly the city but not far away, Tickknock or the 3 Rock I think often catch a bit of snow at about 450 Meters.

In the county Kippure is the highest point at about 750 meters but it might be difficult to get up there.

According to Mt's last update, anything below 150m ASL in Dublin won't see a whole lot bar rain.

Mate of mine is a mountain rescue, he says the amount of people heading up in snow ill equipped is insane, stay safe, and don't take risks.

Not aimed at you cameramonkey, just a general. ;)

Us Dubs just need some eddy in the flow to some how back the wind off the land---

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stetsonfrank

I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow but I thought I'd share my experience from Jan 1982 for the younger members.

It was Jan 1982 I was 15 yrs of age living in blessington due back in school after Christmas in city centre Dublin. My dad opened front door some evening early in January and showed me sheeting rain, no frost it was on my way to bed. Next morning my father called me and showede an imprint of the front door as the smile had drifted about 15ft in front of our house. We were off school for about a week I don't think we've lost out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

temps starting to drop here again after stalling for over an hour on 0.1 were down to 0.0c now DP -1.7c ( Newbridge)

Advertisement