Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Tzardine wrote: »
    I am on the Kildare / Laois boarder. The wife is at her Christmas party and I have to pick her up later on when its over.

All I want to do is go to bed and wake up to the snow fest in the morning. Instead I will probably be driving through the bloody thing at 3am.

Should only be starting to turn from rain / sleet to snow about 3AM I think, you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

3,6 c RISE in temp in Arklow in the last hour
    Now 5c and Raining

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Temp rising rapidly now in waterford ..up to 6.6c DP 5.8 and raining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Early to mid January 1982 was an event that came out of the blue with two milder interludes either side of it, one of the most memorable cold events you could find in Irish weather history:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105510597&postcount=701

I remember January 1982 very well. As far as i can remember i think it was a Saturday evening when it started to snow in my area. It was a cloudy grey bitterly cold day we were in an east to southweasterly air flow and a deep low was developing off the South coast of Ireland and was expected to hit Spain. It changed track at the last minute and moved up over Ireland. As far as I know It took Met Eireann by surprise so no warnings were issued and the country came to a stand still. I was twenty two at the time and I couln'd believe how lucky I was too experience a weather event like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

1 degree and the rain has just started in Galway city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Bizarrely my weather app says that there is no chance of snow in Dublin (city centre) but out in Ballsbridge there is a 100% chance of snow at various points later tonight. Weird considering they are essentially the same location.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

10pm, heavy rain getting into the South west

DQozxdEX4AAniPz.jpg:large

Can confirm, in Cork, lashing rain. If this was snow it would be great so you guys are in for a treat I think definitely!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

3,6 c RISE in temp in Arklow in the last hour
    Now 5c and Raining

That onshore breeze doing you no favours , least you knew it was to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Tzardine wrote: »
    I am on the Kildare / Laois boarder. The wife is at her Christmas party and I have to pick her up later on when its over.

All I want to do is go to bed and wake up to the snow fest in the morning. Instead I will probably be driving through the bloody thing at 3am.

Location twins (roughly)!

Large enough Kildare/Laois contingent on here tonight.

Hope we get a right treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This is painful, the one time it looks like we will get an epic snowfall i'm not there. I expect it will be 13 degrees on Christmas day when i am over there. Still i should not be mean spirited, i hope you all enjoy the snow! I am looking forward to the pictures too!

If you're in London you might still be in for something

aromehd-45-30-0_wjp9.png

• Advertisement

If you're in London you might still be in for something

aromehd-45-30-0_wjp9.png

They look like they’re in for a real treat across the Midlands and Wales tomorrow, well deserved considering they haven’t had anything significant in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rain in Oughterard. Seems quite mild too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    Location twins (roughly)!

Large enough Kildare/Laois contingent on here tonight.

Hope we get a right treat.

Yeah Kildare Laois should be the sweet spots

nmm_uk1-45-19-4_bbd6.png[/QUOTE]

Kildare seems to be on the dry in this one :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

That onshore breeze doing you no favours , least you knew it was to happen

Yeah it’s very slight
    A rapid change from north to ESE
    5.2c

I'm sweating here in Tipperary looks like It's going to be a close call. Went for a short drive around town a few spots of rain on the windscreen so It's going to be getting interesting here over the next couple of hours. Also the wind has picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11pm TAF's are out.

Periods of sleet in Dublin airport from 3am-9am, with a chance of sleet showers from 10am-4pm

Periods of sleet in Shannon from 9am-3pm

Periods of sleet in Cork airport from 1pm-8pm

Knock TAF not available yet. Edit: Available now, Light snow forecast with periods of moderate snow until 11am tomorrow. Freezing fog also tomorrow night.

3.2mm of rain already here in West Clare with a rate of 5mm/h. Currently 5.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah Kildare Laois should be the sweet spots

I'd be looking more towards the midlands at this rate, Laois inwards maybe.

As Pistolpetes just posted plenty of graphics today showing less and less precip falling/accumulating snow over Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

They look like they’re in for a real treat across the Midlands and Wales tomorrow, well deserved considering they haven’t had anything significant in a few years.

Ah sure never mind them . What have we had these last few yrs, I haven't had a decent snowfall since 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What time is the rain due in limerick

• Advertisement

nmm_uk1-45-19-4_bbd6.png

Kildare seems to be on the dry in this one :confused::confused::confused::confused:[/quote]

Tipperary looking like It's going to get a good dumping according to that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The good synoptics for snow don't begin until that first low dives southeast, it will be the second low forecast to track into Clare then southeast to Cork that does most of the business in terms of providing moisture and lift, but as the first low moves past Cork areas to the north of the frontal boundary should see a rapid changeover from sleet or freezing drizzle to snow.

This slow rise in temps around the south and southeast coasts is not surprising and won't be much of a determining factor. The M6 buoy was briefly in the warm sector of this first low and hit 11 C, I would not be surprised if Valentia and Sherkin Island get almost that warm for an hour or two as it slides past (maybe this next hour or two).

The heavier snow will begin after midnight and more likely around 0300h to noon in central counties, then as the system loses access to Atlantic warmth the second low will start to get surrounded by sleet or wet snow so even the south coast could end the event with a coating.

My Dublin forecasts have been quoted here but let's be realistic, this is a very tricky scenario and getting the right elevation for rain-snow boundary is difficult, I had to choose a number so I chose 150m, but it could very well be 100m to 200m.

One variable to watch in later model runs would be the exact track and intensity of the second low (there are even hints of a third low although it's more of a hangback trough). Every millibar we can get this second low to drop will be worth a cm of snow in the snowfall zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Up another .5 degC here in North Cork (200m ASL) to 6 degC .... very heavy rain atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock airport 2300 TAF is a real wintry one, Snow all night until 11am, then a mostly dry afternoon followed by freezing Fog tomorrow night. (i can confirm rain has reached Castlebar now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Kildare seems to be on the dry in this one :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Tipperary looking like It's going to get a good dumping according to that map.[/quote]

There won't be any snow in Tipperary love

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There won't be any snow in Tipperary love

Not like it's included in the ME warning or anything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Slight change from rain to sleet indicated on the leading edge on radar, just within the last 15mins.
    Perhaps only now starting to meet cooler air towards midlands and northwards

Screen_Shot_2017-12-09_at_23.18.03.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'd be looking more towards the midlands at this rate, Laois inwards maybe.

As Pistolpetes just posted plenty of graphics today showing less and less precip falling/accumulating snow over Kildare.

fml. I hate the rollercoaster :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I remember January 1982 very well...It was a cloudy grey bitterly cold day ...

Sure sounds like it!

B39_FB4_BB_A886_4_FC4_8_C89_41_BAE00714_FC.jpg

• Advertisement

Capturing boards.ie users’ frustration at the lack of snow in their own backyard...

20st6q.jpg

Advertisement