Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Rain turned to sleet in castlebar. Snow not far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Rain turned to sleet in castlebar. Snow not far away now.

Sleet falling heavily now, dp at -1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Steady snow near Foxford, Co.Mayo..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Where was Met E going with -6 tonight? Did anywhere even reach -2? I’m in Monaghan and heading back to Donegal and skies are clear and it’s about 0. No snow here and there will be none either.

Nor was there forecast to be any !

And its 12:30 , the night is hardly over , plenty of time for the temps to drop :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Where was Met E going with -6 tonight? Did anywhere even reach -2? I’m in Monaghan and heading back to Donegal and skies are clear and it’s about 0. No snow here and there will be none either.

The night is a LONG way from over yet. Also, ME forecast for Northern Ireland where inland parts that are snow-covered will rapidly cool once the cloud from this front edges southwards. Look for a -6c there between 5am and 8am I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Well it reached -4.5C in Mullingar around 7pm. The night is early.

This is a national snow event and a lot of the country will see snow. If there's none 5km from the coast in Donegal in your location it's unfortunate for you and your grandchildren.

But you may well get a more potent northerly or north easterly blast later in the season and see snow. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. That's the way the cookie crumbles and we move on.

I was admiring Mountainy Man's pics early in the week and that was his turn. Given the right synoptics i knew mine would come. The winter is early and shaping up well. Plenty for everyone to be optimistic about. Regardless of whether you wake up to snow in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Temperatures rising here in Dublin city center - 00:30 now 4.2 C was 3.7 over an hour ago

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Why are people seemingly turning on ME? They said nothing will happen until after midnight and we are already seeing reports of heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Very calm in Mullingar so far. It is warming up a bit and the snow from Thursday night is starting to melt

Danno wrote: »
    The night is a LONG way from over yet. Also, ME forecast for Northern Ireland where inland parts that are snow-covered will rapidly cool once the cloud from this front edges southwards. Look for a -6c there between 5am and 8am I'd say.

Danno our replies seem to be nearly verbatim:D It must be a Laois thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

10 km ENE of Athlone @ 107 metres absl. 1 degree C..... no transition here, i.e.: it has started out as snow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wet snow now falling in West Mayo,less than a mile from the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Gaoith Laidir has called it and called it well.. I always pay attention to his posts. It’s simply to mild folks. Was it not obvious when temperatures, even under any clear skies, barely went below 0? The cold is not potent enough. Nothing more than a bit of wet snow overnight in a few select places.

This is going pear shaped. I’d imagine a lot of confused and embarrassed people come tomorrow. I’m principally referring to professional meteorologists, not the many fine people on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishfeen wrote: »
    Why are people seemingly turning on ME? They said nothing will happen until after midnight and we are already seeing reports of heavy snow.

Because it isn't snowing in their garden.People here the word snow and expect it to arrive like clockwork.
    Rain here in Wexford at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

1236 am. North Offaly. Can report its dark outside and a little cold.
    Like winter type cold you could say.

Update: Its now 1238 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Just wind and rain in Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

irishfeen wrote: »

I’d imagine a lot of people went and bought sleds & snow boots, and are now furious with ME that only a few hours into their weather alert, it’s doing exactly what they said it would.

The same people were probably calling for ME to be shut down after Stirm Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gaoith Laidir has called it and called it well.. I always pay attention to his posts. It’s simply to mild folks. Was it not obvious when temperatures, even under any clear skies, barely went below 0? The cold is not potent enough. Nothing more than a bit of wet snow overnight in a few select places.

This is going pear shaped. I’d imagine a lot of confused and embarrassed people come tomorrow. I’m principally referring to professional meteorologists, not the many fine people on boards.

Look up ^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Sleet has turned to snow in Leenane, North co.Galway. Currently 1.9c with dewpoint at -1c. Nothing settling yet, still a bit too wet

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Temp here in Ashbourne county Meath 2.1c was down to -1.2c earlier under clear skies at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I don't think there will be many meteorologist embarrassed tomorrow. Their job is to predict the possible, if they didn't give the warnings and it was worse people would be in greater dangers. Then we would be hearing the masses saying they should have presented a possible scenario for tonight/tomorrow.

I reckon they will get up tomorrow and be glad it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Temperature rising quickly, up to 2.8c now. At this rate I wonder will it even snow on top of Kippure!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Timfy wrote: »
    Sleet has turned to snow in Leenane, North co.Galway. Currently 1.9c with dewpoint at -1c. Nothing settling yet, still a bit too wet

Imagine the amount of snow sticking at the top of Mweelrea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Gaoth Laidir's post speaks of sleet throughout the lowland midland area and it's a UK Met Office prediction.

It will be interesting to see whether Met Eireann are right or UK Met. Very very interesting.

I'm going with Met Eireann!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

This is the point. It's almost mild for this time of year yet ME were forecasting -8 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

A few people I know cancelled trips due to the snow forecast. I guess with Ireland's unstable weather patterns though, you win some, you lose some. It's much easier to forecast in the continental US or Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I don't know if your trying to get a rise out of people or not , your like a broken record at this stage , everyone is entitled to there opinion , but frankly yours is wrong , its snowing in locations now , just how ME said it would and in the timescale they said it would , its mild up your neck of the woods so you think the rest of the country is the same , that viewpoint is wrong .

It may not be the snowiest for the midlands , it may be who knows ? but going on best guidance ( Models , Charts , Forecasters intuition ) it would appear a good part of the midlands will see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mace head is reporting Sleet.

• Advertisement

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    This is the point. It's almost mild for this time of year yet ME were forecasting -8 !

Again wrong. The -8 is forecast for tomorrow night over snowfields.

Have a look at the amount of the north midlands turning to pink (snowfall) on the latest radar. You have to look beyond your back garden.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Advertisement